Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

If fishing off a pier - what is the ideal weight of the line I use?

• 21-12-2021 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭

Pretty basic rod I picked up off wish.

Not looking to do anything over exciting but want to fish off Dun Laoghaire pier when weather is a little more acceptable . Been a few years since I fished.

What weight should be the line I use be?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

If lure fishing for example, something like 12lbs. mono.

If a string of 6 feathers with a 3 oz lead attached, possibly, 20lbs mono.

etc etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 358 ✭✭flended12

Yea 20lb max for all round fishing be grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Thanks folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

For mainline 15-20lbs is fine.

Bear in mind if casting weights above one ounce, you should use a shockleader to absorb the weight when casting and not have it crack off, which could be very dangerous for anyone in the vicinity. A general rule of thumb is 10lbs breaking strain per ounce, so if you cast a 6oz lead, your shockleader should be no less than 60lbs BS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Noted with thanks.

Its been a few years since fishing. I will try procure one over the weekend . I really really appreciate tyhat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I go with a strong braid straight through as it cuts out the need for a shockleader altogether and also reduces 1 extra weed knot.

If your baitfishing our feathering, as said above your line needs to be able to take the strain of the lead. I use 80 or 100lb braid straight through.

If your spinning 10-15lb with a fluorocarbon leader of similar or even a little higher as its invisible in the water (12 should be fine however)

If you need any help gimme a pm

Advertisement