Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Filming Garden Wildlife

Options
  • 21-12-2021 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,899 ✭✭✭✭

I have a couple of foxes visiting my garden. I would like to set up a video camera to record them at night. I have considered a wildlife camera but as it's only for one location, I wonder if a fixed camera might be better especially as it's a small area. It need to be able to detect movement, presumably by the video software so that it only records when they appear.

Does anyone have any experience or recommendations ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

You can definitely turn a DSLR into a camera trap, but it takes a bit of DIY and work. Best to just start with a typical trailcam for the time being.

Starting point here if you want to go down the DSLR route: https://www.naturettl.com/how-to-make-a-dslr-camera-trap-housing/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

For video only, a good trail cam will suffice, as they do video really well, even some of them record in 4k.

For your stills, a camera trap will deliver better results. I did turn a camera into a camera trap (on a budget) and it's a lot of fun, but in summary:

-Enclosure: eur8 plastic box from woodies, cut the front open and drilled a hole at the bottom to connect the tripod plate.

-Trigger: I use a Pluto sensor. Small and it can be attached to the hot shoe. It gives you a lot of options, so it takes a bit of experimenting to find the right settings.

-Power: any powerbank. Depending on your camera you may need an adapter (Aliexpress generic should do)

-Lighting: I use the inbuilt flash, very low power and difuser (white paper napkin). Use lighting responsibly.

Some examples below, I will post pics of the set up shortly.

This is the enclosure, you can see the tripod plate there to connect to the camera. Just measure your camera carefully to buy the right now size. You need to account for some room to operate (set up) the camera while it is attached to the box (for what you remove the lid), its height with the trigger attached and the front for the rain/wind as that is the only part exposed to the elements.

I forgot to mention that I also drill a hole at every corner of the box to let out any water that may come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

Just wondering if people had recommendations on where in a wooded area to put these cameras?

Always very well concealed to avoid it getting stolen. It also depends on what species you would like to record and the characteristics of the particular woodland where you plan to work.

I have chanced it leaving my trail cam (easier to hide) a few times in parts of Dublin, knowing that it was risky. The actual box I have left it in private land (with permission), or in public woodlands in very remote parts of the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,398 ✭✭✭randombar

There's a wooded area right next to me (parent's land), young woods. Mostly full of ash and brambles.

Trying to figure out should I have it in one of the paths or in the middle of the brambles.

Depending on how busy the wooded area is, if you put it at one of the paths it may get noticed. Try to see if you can make up animal paths, scat or any other signs in the woodland and point it in that direction. You may also want to throw a little bit (just a little bit) of cat/dog food and/or a few peanuts (bird peanuts, without salt/sugar) to get the wildlife to walk past there.

Advertisement