Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When is the life support machine being switched off?

2»

Comments

Am I the only one who does.not give a sh1t about dark mode? Like it's the biggest problem the world has ever faced

• I don’t really give a sh1t about dark mode either. At work we used to have a Unix based system and worked permanently in “dark mode”, everything on the terminal was white on black and you typed in your commands. Couldn’t cope with the newfangled bright clickable GUI interface on a new Windows based system when it was implemented. Reminded me very much of the jump from old Boards to new Boards. Personally I would prefer better search-ability. I now do searches of old stuff via Google..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Gangsters moll and Snarler probably come to mind when you see mine ha ha!

I recognise you from the Fair City thread, certain people there almost foam at the mouth defending Carol.

• Re Dark Mode, I really can’t see why it couldn’t be easily implemented. JQuery allows for easy development of such a site as this to DM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It doesnt bother me becasue I view in normal bright mode. But other websites have reported 30% of their users browsing in dark mode becasue for some people bright mode hurts their eyes after 10 or 15 minutes of browsing, thats why they use dark mode and why it is available in the first place. So if you are running a website and want to risk losing 30% of your users then axe dark mode and see what happens. Thats exactly what Boards has done, they literally shot themselves in the foot by removing a feature that users had used for years on the old VBulletin platform.

Its not like they didnt have fair warning back in July, there are literally hundreds of posts in Feedback giving out about having no dark mode. Those posters were not listened to and here we are with a site whose traffic has gone way down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Most browsers have a dark mode add-on...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Unfortunately the freedom of speech aspect is gone from boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

It was never there to be gone

It was always a private site which had a community.

The owners got sick of going to court over things posted and the costs which they had to bear. I couldn't blame them.

The owners got sick of going to court over things posted and the costs which they had to bear.

How many times did anything go to court? I never heard of any court case. It was due to threats of legal action, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,948 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

If we had a decent search function you could look for it 🤣

You could google it, if it actually happened...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Boards is full of exhausted tax bores.

Since taxes and welfare will never be abolished, I presume these people will never change which is sad.

Somebody should not be grumbling about taxes or welfare seven days a week, that suggests to me a void of personality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I would say that's the demographic. I have noticed the same among some of my male friend(and among none of the women funny enough). As they hit middle age some of them get a bad dose of inmydayitis and a complete disconnect to the world beyond their office, home and those of a similar age group and mindset. The "youth" are in their sights, as are the "dole scroungers". They seem to have amnesia about their own youth and a fair number suffer a similar memory loss over social welfare that a fair number took and were bloody glad of it back in the 80's. This pandemic didn't help as I've found it's also generally the case that this same type of mindset has curated a very solid routine and anything that disturbs that gives them serious wobblers. Add in quite natural and genuine concern over personal finances because of it and they are more prone to lash out. To find scapegoats.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Ive a friend like that and he became a right grump around the age of 43/44. Hates anyone in their 20s and if theyre a student even worse as he is paying for their education despite having his own paid for. He blames young people for not being able to buy a house despite buying his own when they were rock bottom prices in 2012. Its pretty sad watching the change in him, he used to be a live and let live person. Now its all anger over stuff that doesnt even effect him.

OP here, just a quick post to say I have sent a request to delete my account. I have found the same tit for tatt nonsense rearing it's head again on other threads, with the usual point scoring over something totally irrelevant. Life is too short.

My parting words, get out there, and have more fun with your lives in the real world! ☺️

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Freddie Mcinerney

The noisy minority took over. They get hits constantly.

Shamoboc be here soon to resolve all issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

OP didn't exactly engage in his own thread here either other than saying boards was tit for tat nonsense and he/she was deleting their account, yet only posted once or twice in the thread...

I thought the whole idea of a discussion forum was to generate discourse?

No idea why they bothered 🤷‍♂️

Echo chamber in the accommodation forum. Bunch of squatters there.

Journal.ie and Waterford whisper (except for slagging the black drug dealer) seem to function without restrictions.

• Advertisement

Lol. It is not an airport. You be here under a different name later today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

My biggest gripe with the new boards is that it's such a pain to find my comments. Too many clicks to get to the screen with the comments.

Puts me off using the site as it's a pain to get back to a thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,504 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The only thing keeping the site going are the pandemic threads. Everything else is dead.

*Tumbleweed*

Three clicks - Profile, View Profile then My Comments, so not much of a pain imo...

How often do you need to view your comments anyway?

You could also bookmark the page in your browser.

Not your ornery onager

• I’m doing my best to respond in threads that pop up to help keep site going, especially if there can be an element of humour in it. This time of year I feel we all need a bit of cheering up, I just don’t want to see the site die and as I’m retired (early) I have enough time to put in a bit of effort.

• I’d say we are teaching an “interesting” stage in the pandemic. I’ve put it out there about my optimism and I stand to be torn asunder if I’m proved wrong. Covid has gone batsh1t crazy, it’s taken a step to fizzle out as the phenomenon it has been. Then a whole lot of other changes will get right into gear in Ireland and globally, some good, some not so, and these may spark off any number of discussions and debates. As much as anything, I imagine people got weary of and depressed from the constant Covidity pervading the site, with no major hope on the horizon. People were running out of discussion from not being able to do things they normally would have, and then when people would post that they had been enjoying themselves doing x or y another cohort would get irked as they were staying put because of health circumstances or caution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Probably because people are doing fûck all….apart from having a candemic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think I'm going to need my own web site.

The following people will be banned:

People who sulk

People who type out 'FFS'

People who complain about taxes and social welfare as their main hobby

Anyone who boasts about being a scientist or in a science-adjacent career

The spiteful

The perpetually annoyed

....So basically all Irish people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Have to say my usage of boards has plummeted since the migration. The site is just not as user friendly as it used to be. I also notice some of the forums I really enjoyed previously have attracted a nasty style of posting/ trolling which is going unchecked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

If it wasn’t for the modern trend of flat user interface design with solid bright colours, I think there would be less of a demand for dark mode. Older websites and browsers were much easier on the eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,630 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

But who will be allowed in that's more important and more positive who is included not who is excluded 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Used to hop onto boards about 5-10 times through the day Phone/Desktop, nowadays maybe once or twice a week, hate what it has become and won't be sorry to see it disappear

Advertisement