Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose Of Tralee now accepting trans applicants (Threadbanned List in OP)

Options

Comments

it's some rubbish insult that I see thrown around boards a lot. I've never googled it cos I see it being thrown at reasonable posters.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭yesto24

You don't need to google it.

Do you know what woke means?

Do you know what fundamentalist means?

Do you think you are a reasonable person?

Woke? Opposite of asleep?

I know what a fundamentalist is, I don't know what a woke fundamentalist is. Are you going to enlighten me or just keep dragging the thread off topic.

Yes, I'm very reasonable😁

• Registered Users Posts: 33,329 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

It's a buzzphrase bandied about by people who don't like things changing and are frightended by it in order to sidestep the argument presented. It would have been (probbaly was) during such topics as same-sex marriage, divorce, abortion, anti-apartheid, anti-segregation, Britain entering WW2, sufferagettes...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

On any progressive cause one can name ,you are rock solid reliable and in sync with the approved opinion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

What I find most odd about the entire trans thing is the mass delusion which is going on.

Objectively speaking, a trans woman is a man role playing as a woman. But for some reason we're not allowed say this (will I get a ban for saying it on boards?) and we have to pretend they're actual women.

I really cannot understand what's going on here. I remember when I was in school, about 30% of my class were utterly braindead who didn't understand anything. Are these the people who think trans women are actual women? Or is this a political thing, where if you're a far left type you think you have to sign up to all the beliefs no matter how absurd they are?

By the way, I actually have no problem with trans women or drag queens or cross dressers. If it makes you happy, and you're not harming anyone, then I don't see it being much of a problem. But this idiocy where we have to pretend they're actual women is just so stupid. And it is harming people. Look at all the kids destroying their bodies with hormones because of their far left activist parents. This is child abuse. And then women being beaten by trans women in sports.

It's all so wrong and I hope a day will come where the world wakes up and stop tolerating this destructive and abusive ideology.

But surprisingly, regarding the Rose of Tralee, I actually think it's fine. I've always seen this competition as sort of in league with the Eurovision song content. Ridiculous competitions and I think they benefit from a bit of colour. HOWEVER my concern is the trans woman will win simply because the judges are woke.

This is such a dumb and lazy argument.

Try thinking things through, you'll come to a different conclusion.

Oh you mean woke people are thos who believe in live and let live?

Yep, I'm good with that.

Eh no - people opposed all those things for the same reason people oppose trans rights: fear of change and fear of other people they didn't like suddenly being on the same level they were.

Now instead of being condescending, perhaps you'd actually like to present a counter-arguement instead of attacking the poster personally?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,204 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I don’t know if paddy power offers odds on rose of Tralee but first trans person that enters I’ll be betting on. We all know they will be almost guaranteed to win.

No. The problem people have with "trans rights" is the objective fact that trans women are not women and trans men are not men.

There's also the problem of kids being forced to take hormones by their insane parents, and trans women competing in women's sports.

People like you are extremists trying to force a crazy ideology on others. That's the problem we have.

You'll notice no one on the right has a problem with Blaire White because he admits he is a male and can never be an actual female. He's also against kids being forced to take hormones and trans women competing in women's sports.

Just. Be. Reasonable.

I'm sure there's a pedantic point you'd like to make, can you be specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,477 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

No real issue with this once they don't just pick a trans woman to win it because she's trans so they can come across as accepting.

The festival is important to Tralees economy and I wouldn't like to see it end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

No, but trans women are women, and trans men are men. They are not -biologically born- that gender, but I'm very sure we've had this discussion numerous times with you and we simply won't agree on this.

Personally, and with most people I know within the LGBTQ+ community, they're not entirely okay with HRT in minors either, but it's not nearly as common as some folks like to claim it is.

I'm thoroughly confused by your definition of extremism though. And a lot of trans athletes are also against trans people taking part in womens/mens sports. It's almost as if there isn't some kind of hive mind that exists.

So be reasonable, a trans person has no impact on you or your life. Most simply ask for some common courtesy and that you show a tiny bit of respect to a fellow human being and call them by their preferred pronoun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

FUD about children being given hormones.. check..

Womens toilets.. check..

Men judging women on appearance.. check

Outrage over something from the past that affects few people that no one would have noticed..check..

What else am I missing in the big ol' trans bingo card.. cmon I expect better than this, it's the bumper Christmas edition after all!

An appeal for "reason" 🤣🤣

I love it.. keep up the good work!

I love the role play argument too. Maybe if more people could try role playing not being a d.ck or role playing not been as outraged then we wouldn't have these complete nonsense threads that just keep going round in circles?

My point entirely : I've heard these same 'facts' about gay men not being men and black people being inferior to whites.

You then go on to talk any kids being 'forced' to take hormones, which proves my point about fear. This, assuming it even happens, is abusive and borderline-illegal and nothing to do with trans rights. But you seen to believe its widespread and legal and use it to fuel your fear.

Exaggerate spread fear and promote aggression, anger and finally discrimination. All while trying to tell other people to be reasonable. It's a tactic used throughout history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,007 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

@eskimohunt This decision is discrimination against biological women.

As with the case of Laurel Hubbard, this position in the competition - whether in the Rose of Tralee or elsewhere - is now being occupied by a biological man.

Most competitions have rules for eligibility, and many competitions change or tweak those rules from time to time, for a variety of reasons. If those eligibility rules are broadened, as has happened here, his inevitably results in the statistical fact that people who may have previously progressed in the competition under the previous, more restricted rules, no longer doing so, since the field of eligible entrants is larger.

Do you object to married women now being allowed enter on the grounds that they may take the place of a single woman?

Do you object to the fact that they've increased the age limit from 28 to 29 on the grounds that some people 28 and under will now not progress though the competition and their place may be occupied by a 29 year old?

Even if you do object to these things, it's fundamentally absurd to claim that any of this is discrimination, when biological women, single women and those 28 and under can still enter the completion exactly as they have before.

None of the other rules were about biological men, that's the difference.

Women could at least complain about 28-year old rule, or the married woman rule, but - at the end of the day - this would have been an intra-woman debate.

In this case, we have the insertion of a biological man - taking the place of what would have been a biological woman.

No amount of spin, such as "broadening the rules means that some will lose out", discredits this fundamental fact.

You still haven't explained why gender should be treaded differently to age or marital status, and you still haven't explained how discrimination has occurred to people who's eligibility for the competition hasn't changed.

I'm not talking about gender, I'm talking about biological sex.

Second, if a biological man takes the position of what otherwise would have been a biological woman, this is discrimination against that woman. Her place has been taken by a biological man.

What does that matter?

In a competition such as this, you go compete as an individual. Everyone has to go through preliminary contests before going to Tralee.

It's not like they are holding 5 places for trans women, they have to enter the same as everybody else, therefore they are not taking anybody's place, should they win.

Look, we get it. Having a trans person enter a contest line this will no doubt cause a lot of confusion for the typical audience members. It's probably only temporary anyway, as who the actual f is watching beauty pageants in 2021/22?

Like any of ye on this thread who are up in arms over this two year old rule change actually that interested in it?

But eligibility for the Rose of Tralee is based on gender, not biological sex.

And it's not discrimination if you can enter a completion, compete by the rules but fail to succeed where someone else who also entered the same competition, played by the same rules, did succeed.

I've heard it all now: "why does biological sex matter in a women's competition?"

I mean, well, I think I'll just leave that one there to hang silently, on its own, in the corner, where it belongs.

Simple solution, let men enter :)

Then it really won't matter what's between their legs.

• Advertisement

Can't answer then, why would having trans women in the competition matter?

They still have to compete.

Advertisement