Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonsilla village

Options
  • 23-12-2021 8:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Does anybody know what is being built next to Applegreen in Clonsilla?, also any idea what’s going in the building between the Chemist and Romayo’s?, seems like there is work going on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fatnacho

Apparently, a GP practice going in beside the chemists and there was planning permission for a cafe and apartments beside the Applegreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Daeltaja

Beside Applegreen, a 3-storey block with 4 apartments and a restaurant/cafe unit on ground floor. Aldi submitted planning permission before Christmas for the site on Weavers Row - including an Aldi, 4 retail units, 60+ apartments and a courtyard area. It looks like apartments will go in beside Lidl and at the site of the Logde, too, so the area will look completely different in a few years O_O

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

Online public meeting about the major planning apps in Clonsilla including SHD in Kellystown, hosted by our opposition TD.

I have no affiliation, just remembered this thread when I saw the meeting advertised 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ultraviolence

im surprised they got planning permission for apartments... they are going to look out of place considering the whole area is full of houses/one storey houses.

I remember the councillors not supporting the aldi application and rightly so.i wonder why do aldi and lidl think its okay to build stores in every open space they can find. The land which lidl was built upon would have been ideal for houses but i guess we needed another store instead. Lidl blakestown is a 5minute drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

There's an argument that many people don't want or need a house. They need suitable housing. Also your bedside a train line so anything goes with regards to density.

Putting high traffic shopping in congested locations is done very frequently. Castleknock being a good example. Commercial considerations seem to over ride good sense.

• Advertisement

Building houses in clonsilla does not stop apartments from being built elsewhere. Apartments are being built near coolmine station, hansfield and in other parts of dublin.

poster above said its a three storey with 4 apartments in that building? that does not sound like a high density apartment block. If they are one bedroom apartments i think it would have been smarter to build 3/4 bedroom houses and get the most use out of the land while also keeping in line with the aesthetic of the other mature estates surrounding the area. The most recent estate Weaver wood is behind that applegreen site and they managed to build houses even though its beside a train line.

It was quite silly of aldi to want build a store near lidl. A lot of reasons for refusal on the ABP report from last time so im guessing those reasons will be used again and hopefully aldi can stop trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

That's the problem with the Clonsilla area, everything is a 5-10 minute (plus traffic delays) drive away. Having a Lidl locally has been great, wouldn't mind an Aldi opening nearby either. But no doubt it will be opposed because "it will increase traffic in the area". I'd very much shop locally than go to a miserable shopping hell like the Blanch shopping centre. Maybe we'll get a coffee shop in the next 50 years or so too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

I really don’t think the supermarkets add much traffic to the area, would be happy enough with the Aldi myself. The apartments not so much

That 3 storey apartment block beside applegreen seems to be getting a cafe/coffee shop.

Be careful what you wish for. Solution to shopping hell is not build another one closer.

Clonsilla used to be a village. Now it's just a sprawling incoherent mess of ad hoc building. They should have planned a community focal point around a retail centre. They should also have tied it into the canal amenity and thus the greenway. No vision.

• Advertisement

They are only getting started. Look at the recent apartments under construction in Riverwood. Lots of planning applications for similar in the area. That's the future.

Houses do not get the "best out of the land" even if we prefer them.

When i said that houses will get the best use out of the land i was talking about that applegreen development only. i can't find any information regarding bedrooms but if these are 1/2 bedroom apts it would make more sense to build 3/4 bedroom houses just like weaver wood estate behind the site.

Just reading what one cllr had to say and she stated that the applegreen development goes against a certain objective for clonsilla – 'Goes against the spirit of Protecting the historic character of Clonsilla Village by conserving old houses and cottages and only permitting sensitive development.' but yet it was still granted and also was given permission to include an off license as well.

in my opinion apts have a suitable location and dont. clonsilla village is not a suitable location. Yes that riverwood development also has apts but its on the other side of the bridge and is away from houses so its okay.

It's also important for fingal to take into account the possibility of the closure of several level crossings when deciding on the aldi development. many people will be going to aldi in clonsilla instead of aldi mulhuddart/blanch.

Lots of recent apartments and the ones in Riverwood are beside and overlook houses or schools. They are building them everywhere or planning to.

No offence but. What historic character? It's featureless.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

I don't get the historic character comment.

The site beside Applegreen has been derelict for a long time. Nothing to save around it bar apartments behind and housing estate beside it.

Those apartments in riverwood are not new and fit in with the area quite well. The only new apartments i know about are the ones going on the other side of the bridge beside the st mochtas pitches.

That historic comment was for clonsilla village as a whole not just that site. A modern apartment block with an off license looks out of place.

And yes i know many apt blocks have been submitted and some have fortunately failed to gain permission but its up to the council to approve or not. Developers dont care if an estate is mature or not all they see is a piece of land that an apt block can be built upon.

Same on the carpenterstown road, apts approved by abp after objections from cllrs and locals. New-ish estates opposite so no reason not to continue that trend for the overall aesthetic of the area but i guess cramming as many people into an apt block is what developers want.

Let's hope that applegreen devlopment looks somewhat nice..

Sorry I meant those ones beside st mochtas (how many floors are they?) and the ones beside st pats. The point being they are putting them everywhere regardless if theres nothing similar around it. Castleknock Inn same.

New Lidl and Aldi Aesthetic fits in well. Monolithic bunkers.

Where is the center of Clonsilla Village and what Historical Character is there in that location.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,847 ✭✭✭Polar101

Aldi planning permission rejected, no surprises there.

https://planning.agileapplications.ie/fingal/application-details/91200

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Daeltaja

Hmmph. I think having an Aldi and some commercial units with a lot of parking would have been nice. Noone is ever going to touch Clonsilla village and the parking situation is dire.

Great news. Plenty of shops in the area.

People sent in really good submissions as to why this development is not appropriate.

As Roderic O Gorman TD said 'The Fingal Dev Plan 2017-2023 contains an objective setting out a height restriction of 3 storeys for buildings in clonsilla village. This development contains x2 4 storey apartment blocks which goes against this objective'

It is funny to see how careless Aldi was, they did not even bother to read the local area plan/dev plan as their proposal went against those plans. Very embarassing considering that was a second application. If Aldi cant be bothered to read the local objectives then i have to question why do they want to build a store in the area. All they see is a piece of land to make money from while disregarding the local area and the objectives for the area and its surroundings.

Hopefully Aldi can move on as there is plenty of land available in dublin. but i would not be surprised if they go to abp. Aldi is desparate and it seems like abp give permission for everything nowadays.

Post edited by ultraviolence on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Clonsilla_family

Any update on the Clonsilla Aldi?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Clonsilla_family

Thanks. I didn't know it went to ABP (not surprised though)

Advertisement