Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Microwave question

• 23-12-2021 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭

I was getting soup earlier and as I put the plastic container in the microwave I noticed there was an white sticky label stuck to it - part of a blank address label.

I’m just curious as to what would have happened if I had set off the microwave with the label inside? Or if there was residual adhesive on the container?

A few weeks something burned in the microwave although for the life of me I can’t remember what it was.

Post edited by 2011 on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,743 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Not much, if anything at all.

A microwave's heating action depends on having an object which will heat up through "dielectric" activity - that is effectively the rapid back and forth movement of small "polar" molecules within a substance to generate heat. In the case of a thin label, the density of these polar molecules isn't sufficient to really do much. If you had inserted a damp piece of wood though, you'd notice the moisture boiling off the wood before it starts to brown in patches and starts smoking as it dries out, but it's unlikely to burst into flames as long as there isn't a spark.

Some labels though have metal within the printing foil and these aren't supposed to be used within a microwave, but if you do you will often see tiny fractals or spots where that metal reacts with the microwave and "pops" where a localised "short-circuit" occurs. Nothing much to wory about, but don't put foil into a microwave or you'll get a concentration of energy and then a spark as that accumulated voltage is disapated into the microwave's metal shell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

Thanks.

I know tin foil is a no-no .

I can’t for the life of me remember what it was that I accidentally put in the microwave a few weeks ago but it did burn - not flames but it turned brown and tree was a burning smell for ages.

And I when I used the microwave after washing (but not properly drying) the glass plate I saw the water residue start to boil. That was a surprise - I had assumed the plate would just dry in the microwave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Sometimes I like to wear a tinfoil hat . . . I'm not a nutjob, it just makes being in the microwave more interesting.

Pictures of your own bad parking WITH CHAT

Advertisement