Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Insurance and NCAP.

• 23-12-2021 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭

How big a factor is a vehicle's crash test rating in influencing what category an insurer will allocate it before assessing a premium? Take an example of two models - a 2018 Kia Picanto and a 2018 Fiat Panda. Both cars belong in the same class and have near identical power output but the Kia has a five star safety rating compared to the Fiat with four. Let's say both drivers are fifty year old females with full clean licences and full no claims bonus. Would the owner of the Fiat still pay a significantly higher premium?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Miscreant

You could test this out pretty easily by putting your sample details into an online quotation system perhaps?

I doubt the NCAP rating does much to reduce a premium though. I think insurance is mostly based on profile of the driver, value of the vehicle and repair costs in the event of damage. There are plenty of cars out there that are 10 years old with higher NCAP "stars" than newer cars yet they will have a higher insurance loading (and I am aware that the NCAP test parameters change periodically too).

Advertisement