Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water leakage through bathroom sealant

Options
  • 24-12-2021 10:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭

We bought a new build 3 years ago and since then, these sealants in our bathrooms have been cracking a lot, which subsequently caused water stains on ground floor.

We have had builders and plumbers come over and try to diagnose where the water stain is coming from, and they have always been saying it's from these sealant cracks.

I have never lived in a timber house before. In all apartments we lived for the past 30 years, we never had any problem with bathrooms and it has never even come across my mind that these sealants would be broken so often.

Questions:

1. Is it normal to have to replace sealants in bathrooms once every few months?
    2. Why is it a house only problem (or is it)? Why has it not happened in apartments? I can't imagine water going through the ceiling and leaking down to the neighbour below us?
    3. Any suggestions for a permanent (or at least a longer-lasting) fix, rather than having to re-do sealants every once a while? Would, for example, plastering, be better?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If this is still an issue, would you upload some photos of the cracking sealant please?

Advertisement