Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which bike

Options
  • 25-12-2021 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

interested in your thoughts on this, sorry for the soulful thoughts but I am a realist.

looking forward to touring Europe and Scandinavia over the next 6-7 years, perhaps 10 if health prevails, but my 14 yr old bike will not be part of that plan.

I have been on a mission to see what bike will be part of the journey.

I have narrowed it down to the following:

2023 Tracer 7 with upgrades to counter Triumph 660 and Aprillia 660

or Tracer 9 with revised dashboard!

or go for a Ducati Desert X

or a BMW R9 T Scrambler (that will become my cafe racer and classic)

just have no confidence in the Triumph, Aprillia or Ducati brands but only willing to risk Ducati.

if it were your last ICE bike before electric takes over, which would you choose and why?

essentials are:

• cruise control
    • central stand, if chain drive
    • 90:10 on road and off road
    • some gravel off road ability’s

I did 3 weeks in Spain so haste a plan over course of years ahead, health permitting .

thinking this will be a conversation piece as we work through Xmas, so happy holidays to you and your family

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,737 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

For me, I'd be going for the Moto Guzzi V850 for touring...

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tech_Head

Don’t forget tank size and things like comfort seats

As for upgraded dash, sometimes they can bring more trouble then they are worth and not very repairable either (aside from ordering a brand new one).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

either the Tracer as the engine is incredibly well built. My engineer friends love them

Or because your talking about touring, BMW as the parts are available around most of the world (at a price)

So if your talking about 90:10 with road to off road ratio, then unless you go pure street bike, then tyres are the biggest factor. Anything with a 19 front and 17 rear would suit you for what you want.

My friend did Morroco on a RnineT Urban GS and would recommend it. They're a great bike. I'd buy one if I could and stick 50/50 tyres and they come with a skid plate I believe.

Another friend had the Ducati Desert X and said while it was a ncie bike, it wasn't exactly exciting. He sold it for a RnineT and has zero regrets there

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Personally ,I'd take the Tracer and which version 700-900 would depend on who or what I was carrying.

The 700 would work but not great with a pillion. I'd prefer the 900 if I took a pillion.

Reliability is key when touring, for that reason the Yamaha would have to be top of the list.

When you say offroad what kind of offroad do you mean? Gravel roads are still roads, offroad may also mean trails and unsurfaced roads , I wouldn't fancy a tracer on slick muddy trails no matter what tyres you have fitted.

The T700 would be better if you planned on more rugged trails but is still no lightweight and you need long legs as well.

Centre stands are available as an aftermarket part if not fitted from the factory.

Cruise is achievable on most modern bikes with fly-by wire or a simpler throttle clamp system.

Any reason the CB500X didn't make the cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭goblin59

Only reason I'd say no to the CB500x is its boring as **** xD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Many competent bikes are tarred with that brush.

it’s not super exciting but it gets fantastic economy and is peppy enough, the engine isn’t a 270 deg so it makes it a little less characterful . That said it’s taken a lot of people a lot of places on many different types of roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Cheers and thanks all. Yes reliability is key as well as the weight.

Off road likely gravel as some of the TET stuff is pretty heavy going for some of the bikes mentioned.

2022 will be a year to research for sure.

Advertisement