Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic insulation and electric cables

Options
  • 26-12-2021 1:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I want to add extra insulation in the attic of my story½ house. I intend adding an extra 8" of insulation to whats already there (6"), by laying it across the joists instead of between the joists as the present insulation is.

Is it ok to lay the insulation over electric cables? At the moment they are clipped on to joists just above the level of the present insulation and there isn't enough slack in the cables to raise them so that they'll be above the extra inslation. Having said that, some of the cables are laid on top of the ceiling slabs and under the insulation.

The cables are for the ceiling lights and plug sockets. The cables for showers, cooker and immersion heater do not run through the attic.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Biker1

No issues whatsoever with rolling out mineral wool insulation over the wires.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

When insulation is applied to cables they must be de-rated in terms of current carrying capacity. In other words, they can not carry as a high a current as before as their ability to cool has been diminished. For circuits with smaller loads such as lighting and socket circuits this is unlikely to make much difference.

Advertisement