Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should an apartment block water pump be running constantly?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

Okay so not making another thread here but, on general principle I simply can't help but be emotionally compelled to target this matter further.

Some great insightful advice based out of experience (I'm assuming) in one sense, some frustration from others;

But confined to this thread and kept strictly on topic - I'd like to seek further insight.

So basically update is that I bought an air purifier and put it on my night stand. At the lowest setting it acts as perhaps a 50% noise canceler.

Additionally I have a decent sized bluetooth speaker, and when I play white noise through it on low volume, it drowns out the other frequencies quite well.

Also installed acoustic foam around my headboard, when I'm lying down for sleep between those three things it has drowned out the high-pitch constant up-and-down whir of the centrifuge water pump (that runs 24/7) enough so I can sleep through it.

In physics we trust....... (as insanely difficult to decipher as it may be)

It's like a plateau, cause I don't expect this to get resolved any time soon (if ever).

The parking garage underneath my apartment where the water pump is, it's huge. The floor area is massive. Not only huge but it also has a second level.

So from all that space, they could have located the pump ANYWHERE. There's only a few select areas where it could be positioned such to be underneath a residence.

The rest is all courtyard or commercial property.

But they put it DIRECTLY under someones bedroom.

Is it possible I could appeal on this grounds alone? Petition to have it moved or something?

In relation to raising a cordial appeal to management or my rental agent, those options are null and void.

Management already told me to kick rocks and my agent is already half way to the laughing academy.

Real estate management must attract the volatile types; point being any further move would not be a "please Ms, could you be so kind as to.....".

It would be more along the lines of, "out of 100's of open plan square feet where there would have been no sound disturbance, you positioned the facility water pump directly under a residents bedroom. Did someone drop you on your head?"

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Appeal? You are a tenant. You have absolutely no right to request anything about the building be changed. None whatsoever. Nor do you have a right to interact with the management agent.

If you don't like it, move.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,498 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

It's not exactly straight forward to move a large water pump for an entire block. The plumbing changes alone would be enormous and that's before you take into account that it is located as per the planning permission, subject to the engineer designs and everything else.

They are not going to move it, so you are probably better off finding somewhere else to live if its causing you significant hardship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

MOVE. It is your only solution and if you are so emotional about this move quicker.

Cool.

Again the forum has delivered to bring me up to speed on the do's and don'ts.

I assumed plumbing would be a slight re-route of some piping, but was unaware that positioning was engineer certified (even if it were a faux pas of engineering).

Well I don't personally, but maybe the council do.

Although according to the more informed its unlikely they will.

Still though out of three former tenants in this property (whom I have since been in contact with) two of them complained about said noise disturbance, unfortunately they just never raised it formally as I have thus no action was taken.

They probably didn't want to rouse these loco managers and agents.

They loco fo' real.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭C3PO

They’re not the only ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,864 ✭✭✭daheff

100% should not be running all the time.

Think of it. What's the purpose of the pump? To get water from A to B as there is not enough water at B. Once enough water is at B the pump should go off.

Many reasons why there's not enough water where is going to. If the pump isn't faulty then it's not fit for purpose OR there is another issue using up more water than expected (eg a leaky toilet/ burst pipe etc... somebody using way more water than they should).

So all that needs investigated also if you are told there's no issue with the pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,895 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

You have to remember that unfortunately, what you want/need is very low on the ladder when it comes to this overall complex. There are probably lots of things that need to be worked on and upgraded, lots of niggles tenants are complaining to landlords about and then landlords bringing up to the OMC.

The OMC will have a certain amount of money in their coffers from everyone paying their management fee and some of that will be used for improvements, the rest will pay insurance, waste etc and go into a sinking fund.

Moving the water pump system for an entire apartment complex is a huge job, you'd be laughed at if you brought this to anyone as a legitimate solution to a sound problem that is only impacting one person.

Your only options really are:

1. Move
    2. Live with the problem and come up with a solution that wont cost thousands and thousands of euro (IE noise cancelling headphones/white noise machine)

Advertisement