Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought TV from amazon Spain, fault just outside 2 year warranty, but inside 2 months notification.

Options
  • 26-12-2021 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭

I bought a TV from amazon Spain, their policy (the law) is two year warranty, with up to two months to report it. My warranty expired on the 29th of November, the fault appeared on the 24th of November. backlight failed, black screen.

Legally, this should be repaired or refunded under warranty, but the support assistant on amazon washed their hands of it, said it's not their issue, not under their policy. I pointed out (politely) that the page she linked to even stated that I have up to two months to report it. She just stopped chatting. Didn't close it, just didn't reply. I left the window open for about 30 minutes in the background.

Their link - https://www.amazon.es/gp/help/customer/display.html/?nodeId=201150010

¿Cuál es la duración de la garantía legal de conformidad y que debe hacer el consumidor para ejecutarla?

La garantía legal cubre defectos de conformidad que se manifiestan dentro de los dos años siguientes a la entrega del producto. Para activarla, debes comunicar el defecto al vendedor dentro del plazo de dos meses desde que hayas descubierto el defecto.

Which Translates as:

What is the duration of the legal guarantee of conformity and what must the consumer do to execute it?

The legal guarantee covers conformity defects that manifest themselves within two years from the delivery of the product. To activate it, you must notify the seller of the defect within two months of discovering the defect.

How can I follow this up if amazon just refuse it as it's not their policy? Small claims court?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Did you report the fault when it happened or wait until the warranty was over?

I'd be reading this as valid for 24 months, fault must be reported within two months, but subject to the 24 month period.

You also need to show that it is a fault of manufacture.

They could also say that it was being used on a different electrical system. A local repair place is probably the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

it looks like the consumer protection period in Spain is indeed 2 years. i had a look on a couple of sites.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

your claim is it failed before the 2 years is up, but you failed to report it until it expired and you should have 2 months to report it. that 2 month grace period is not a consumer right. At least not one can find in the links.

Im yuou want to try amazon spain, and appear to their better natures/good customer service/terms and conditions etc its no harm. It is also no harm to ask the manufacturer to see id there is any leeway there.

But strictly speaking you are outside of your 'rights' and now into customer service/goodwill territory - IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

No didn't report it when it happened because I didn't know, as it is in my mothers house.

The two month period is from when the fault occurs, I have looked it up as many places as I can. I only found out about the fault two weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I really think you need to apply your username 😃

Advertisement