Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭p to the e

Was reading this earlier. Is this where China swoops in? Expect the semi conductor industry to take a hit.

“According to research from market research firm Techcet, Russia and Ukraine are each pivotal in the high-tech trade,” Curran said. “Per their reporting, more than 90% of semiconductor-grade neon used in U.S. semiconductor manufacturing is supplied from Ukraine, while 35% of palladium necessary for the chips comes from Russia.”

Semiconductor Watch List: Key Chip Ingredients At Risk in Ukraine Conflict - TheStreet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

BABA down over 8% PM, about to break 100 USD. Getting rekt

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Had a quick read of the Earnings report. Growth rate down to 10%, Cloud business especially took a hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Wow didnt notice Tesla was floundering like that recently, Im done with them though, pure gambling now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ah lads, stay calm. Not easy I know, but low prices are an opportunity in itself.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Incredible turnaround in tech. Just shows how dodgy premarket/aftermarket trading can be.

Is it because Biden more or less handed Ukraine over on a platter? We may see a swift end to this war much in the same way as the Crimean peninsula was taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Today was a day I felt totally clueless. Was braced for big losses and not sure I remember a stronger day...though well down on early Jan peak. Feels very messed up markets up after Ukraine invaded

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

That and less chance of rate hikes and probably more easing.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Bitcoin seems to be telling us how the market will open tomorrow. On Friday I was going to sell 25k of FB to short BP but I held of. That was more on thinking oil reached a top last week. Although It seems I could of picked anything to short and I would have been better off than net long. That rally into the close in US really really did give a false sense of security lol. Who knows maybe US equities will act as a safe haven like old times. Unlikely now considering how interconnected everything is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

If the Russian economy goes it will be a 1920s style crash, multiple Lehman Brothers worth of debt to default on. Probably won't happen but feeling better about being overweight in cash now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Will banks stop lending to each other due to not knowing what the exposure to Russia the banks have…could quickly turn into a liquidity crisis with a spike in rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

Precisely why I don't / wouldn't own Chinese stocks. The rules can be rewritten overnight when dictaors are in charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not sure what you mean by "goes" but Russias economy is relatively small. About the same size as Spain, don't think it'd be enough to cause a crash. Even all the invasion days, it's only bringing the index' down 2/3%, the biggest decline in European markets was 5% of which a lot recovered the following day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

Tempted to buy some Evraz as a high risk play. Reported great numbers during the week but obviously overshadowed by the extreme Russia/Ukraine news. Down over 75% since mid-Jan, hard to not see good risk/reward there but short-term pain in store for sure.

Anyone any idea how sanctions usually work in cases like this i.e. could we expect to see some lifted if there is a cease-fire? We could see a very strong jump across the board this week if the talks go well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,219 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Sanctions are generally next-day, once the lists are updated and feed through to banks, financial institutions etc.

Although you'd imagine that the impact on stocks of the news that sanctions are lifted would be immediate

That's if you go by GDP, which would be used as a measure of a country's domestic health. I think GNP is the more important one in this case, of which Russia is huge - twice the size of Spain or Italy, almost as large as Germany and one fifth of the US.

Either way, it's fairly isolated. I don't think it takes down western economies. It's not as integrated as other economies.

Why do you think GNP is more imporant in this case BTW?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭konline

Is it not possible to buy Evraz or Polymetal etc Russian stocks listed on London Stock Exchange at the moment? Does anyone know? I can't find them in Degiro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭robman60

I bought a small bit of Evraz yesterday through Trading 212.

It's actually Gross National Income (GNI) rather than GNP I meant. This takes into account all Russian earners and businesses internationally, which of course is what gets hit by the sanctions - $2.5 trillion worth at least in Russia's case.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Flutter (PaddyPower) took a bit of a dive after earnings report, going to reload a few quid as I believe long term they will be a good horse to back! Customer numbers increasing which is the main metric I'd be looking at.

American market share is strong and more states look to be open to legalizing gambling so their fanduel side of things should help with that.

I'm taking a 5 year view that I'll see good returns

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

February wasn't as bad as I feared down 5% for the month, happy with my portfolio and not tinkering anymore

Monsters $AMZN $GOOGL $FB (?)

B&G funds: SMT & Japan Growth

Ecom:$SHOP $SE SMELI $BABA

Mid-Range Positions: $CRWD TWLO $NKE $DIS $NVDA $SPOT $FLTR $TTD $ISRG

Punts / Hype: $DOCU $PLTR $MTTR $PATH $FVRR $MITK $UPST $PATH

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭whippet

What do people make of Hydrogen related stocks in light of the energy situation at the moment. I have been looking at new entrant - which listed on the AIM in the last few weeks. CPH2 .. IPO 45p and trading at 74p this morning. A UK company and interestingly one of the founders is Irish. ITM would be one of the larger in the sector and they seem to be recovering from fairly significant drops at the end of 2021

Goodbye euro...

• Registered Users Posts: 82,237 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've been following Indonesia Energy Corp the last couple of weeks, it's gone crazy, up 40% yesterday and 36% right now, up over 400% YTD. As risky as it gets but could be worth a punt in and out over a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭FromADistance

So I have 2k to play about with on shares via Revolut... I'm not too fussed about short term losses etc and it's money I can afford to loose. Ideally, I'd like to pick about 10 stocks and forget about the choices for a minimum of 5 years. Any suggestions or ideas? I will be doing my own research but I'm interested in people's thoughts.

• Advertisement

Perhaps look at the portfolio of Value Investors.

https://www.dataroma.com/m/holdings.php?m=BRK

Advertisement