Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Twitter up 13% in premarket :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

IMO there's not a hope this goes through. $54 per share, is far below what this has been valued at for a long time compared to competitors. If the board want to sell, they now have a $48bn offer to go shop to other private venture companies, and even the price Elon put on it of $54.20 per share ..... 420 has been Elon's joke number for a long time for the cannabis connection, so I suspect it's a PR stunt from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I bought some twitter exactly 2 years ago for $26.55.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Maybe he'll look over the fence and find Reddit attractive when it IPOs , they were due to IPO a few weeks ago.... maybe they caught wind that Elon was snooping around and deferred!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Not liking this market. Really fear there could be a prolonged bear market or flat return.

So annoyed with myself that I put so much into BABA. I'd be sitting pretty if I didnt invest in it.

I'm now down 7% overall in my portfolio 😭

Just sit tight. I'm down on BABA too, but not concerned. I only have a small % with them. You have to be able to take the ups and downs with shares.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

Wish I hadn't invested in all those Fashion stocks.

God, my Levis have stayed around the 18-20 mark for the past year or so. Jesus Christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Sure glad I bought a Netflix put at the close

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Jeez netflix. Hopefully not an indication of earnings season ahead. Im not drawn to much on netflix myself right now. Still too cheap to bother cancelling sub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭transylman

Online streaming of studio stuff is too fragmented at the moment. I’ve tried a few and the problem I keep bumping into is I want to watch something and find it is not available on the service I am with, and I’m not going to pay for more than one or two. Netflix is the best in terms of offerings, but until there is some form of consolidation they will all offer sub par services.

Youtube on the other hand, probably the most popular online streaming service and the users generate the content. It will continue to be a growing massive cash cow for Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Google is my outright favourite stock to own. Just love what they do.

That was a quick 3 months. Only feels like yesterday that they dropped 20% after earnings and now down 25% again PM.

So that's 2 of the FAANG stocks that have taken massive hits this year. You'd wonder if it's just as a result of the huge pandemic gains they made or if it's a sign of things to come. By my reckoning, that's 500bn knocked off the market cap of FB/NFLX combined.

Both seem hampered by the same issue really (users declining and moving to competitors), but not sure you'd extrapolate that to think that every service will have users declining. Certainly can't see users growth declining from Amazon/Google this year.

Facebook is the one that needs to reinvent itself more, make revenues from Whatsapp, develop whatever Metaverse is, Netflix can continue to grow but we knew this was going to run out of new customers eventually, they need to figure out new revenue flows.

As a shareholder, what's your hope for the Musk story, do you want the $54 on offer or hoping to stay public?

I have Twitter shares too, realise there's an easy 15% to be made in the $54 offer but to be honest I was hoping they'd make the company profitable while we'd be shareholders. It's such a huge company with such huge influence, you'd think someone is going to make the $$$'s on this, might as well be us.

Netflix now a sub 100bn company. Down 36% today.

Bought a $275 Netflix Put at close yesterday for $157 , currently worth $ 5500

Biggest ever option score ,not sure whether to close today or hold until Friday 22nd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I bought Twitter for it's growing revenues and usage year on year. Twitter revenue went from $3.7B in 2020 to $5B in 2021. That's a fair jump.

The challenge for it is to turn that into a profit. As a social media site, it shouldn't have a big cost base. I was hoping that a new CEO would figure this all out. Maybe Musk just sees it as a good investment full stop.

By comparison Meta has a Net Profit Margin of 33%, while Twitter is -4%.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Based on nothing, I'd presume Netflix will bounce back ever so slightly. Don't shares often plummet & claw back up a small bit?

The drop seems to be unpropontially massive.

yes but they usually dont begin to recover until a few days after , Id expect the bottom to be Friday , FB fell for weeks after earnings results though not just as sharply as NFLX has today on the first trading day afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 82,236 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If you take the 700k lost Russian subscribers out of the Netflix figures they actually gained 500k, it's not as bad as it looks by any means, I can see there being a bounce.

yes but we often wildly overshoot the bottom when a massive sell off like this occurs , support levels look circa $190 at lowest but we may not dip to that level this week or even this month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭littlevillage

GOED getting a fair old kicking. What kinda price did you get in at? Its about $1.40 now

Absolutely, and didn't they tell us last year they were going to increase price which would lose subscribers. They increased revenues, so that's just this in action. 200k less subscribers, but the existing subscribers now pay more.

That's my thinking too, someone will figure out how to make this profitable, maybe Elon thinks hes the man to do it. Subscription model would be my guess (where accoutns with big followers have to pay).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

So anyone dipping their toe into Netflix then? I caught a falling knife with Paypal a few weeks ago so not too keen on doing the same again. Does seem like a huge over-reaction though.

Might be best to wait until summer as there could be a surge in Q3/Q4 subscribers + possibility of a more serious covid strain breaking out too.

Yeah, have a look at other growth companies that took a big one-day cut this year for an idea how this could play out.....

Docusign - down 41% in a day, down a further 31% since then

Paypal - down 30% in a day, down a further 25% since then

Netflix - down 35% in a day

• Advertisement

The climb back won't happen for months so what's the rush buying?

Advertisement