Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I'm in no rush at all, but if other tech/FAANG stocks do well in their upcoming earnings then it could lift netflix too. Might be no harm opening a small (albeit precarious) position now and maybe add more in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,504 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's a good buy now but I've a buy in for $192

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'd be with you here, no position and probably won't open a position but sub $200 represents good potential long-term. Not financial advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Netflix dropped in Q1 and it took a week for a bounce of 25%.

Will probably see the same thing next week.

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Netflix always felt out of place as one of the mega caps, although FAANG hasn't really been a thing for a while now. Only Apple, Microsoft, Amazon, Google and Tesla over 1T as it stands. FB next biggest but still only half the size of Tesla.

FB did the same, big one-day drop, and probably down another 20% since

just removed that earlier screenshot , cant be too careful and for all I know some info in that shot that might appeal to hackers , unlikely but I removed it anyway

Some stocks have crashed so much.

I lost a few hundred on LMND and am down a grand across DKNG and CRSP (aswell as 10k with BABA) but at least I didn't put more into growth stocks like Fubo. Fubo is worth less than a billion now.

Value is back in vogue big time ,growth in the doghouse, I've Disney down as a buy @$102

Fail proof stock long term but well stuck currently

Post edited by Mad_maxx on

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

there will be no crazy money like 2020 in the next 10 years,

Fed will not print another 3T

so watch out your investment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I sold Delta Airlines yesterday. I had them for exactly 2 years. Got a bit freaked by their increased borrowings. Still a good return for 2 years.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Whats with the airline stocks, will they increase over the next months/years?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

I'm feeling more emotional than I should right now, only buying since start of 2021 and very heavily weighted towards growth tech stocks so well into the red.

Going to keep nibbling in but not doing lumps like I had the last 6 months, also questioning some of these picks now particularly:

FVRR, TDOC, UPST, DOCU, SE & the dog that is MTTR

• Registered Users Posts: 9,395 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fubo's a name I haven't heard mentioned in a while.

I think these days are a good chance for everyone to have a think about their Investment Plan and remind themselves why they do it. We all know buying the index is the safest play, but we pick stocks because we think we can beat that.

Growth stocks, Crypto stocks, and the MicroCap/Longshots are great when they're going up, but you need the stomach for the red days/months too.

So a question to all growth Investors, given what we've seen over the past 24 months (forum favourites like Lemonade, Peloton, Alibaba going up and down)

• would you do anything differently if you had your time over? Would you be more balanced and get value to mix in with growth?
    • are you changing anything about how you invest going forward? Are you shying away from tech?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Probably I would do some things different but easy answer to give, I'm going to keep going with the picks I have bar out and out catastrophe for any of them.

My over simplistic thinking now is, can these stock picks get back to their highs within 5 years (I know I know anchoring price bias) because if most can then I'll be doing well from buying in the last 6 months and however long more I keep adding.

Fintwit is gas, now they're all expert bears and negative comments about the stocks they were all in love with a year ago, fickle place

Well Delta had $8.8B in longterm debt at the end of 2019. It's now $25.5B. Considering it posted a loss of -408Million last quarter, that's a lot of debt to work tru.

American Airlines has a debt of $36.0B. They are roughly the same in passenger numbers.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I wish I didn't put so much into BABA but I was trying to average down, didn't think it would go down for 18+ months straight. I now need a 100% increase in BABA to break even. Now of my total cash invested, 60% is in BABA. Currently of my total portfolio it's 32%

I would invest in the index if we didn't have deemed disposal. Doing tax on that is just really offputting.

Today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭theboringfox

I would like to have gone more weighted into Berkshire. My biggest holding but not by much.

Still happy with the main tech names Im in microsoft, google, meta, adobe, salesforce, intel, tsmc.

My growth stuff is doing worst but its smaller percentage and I remind myself those are long term plays.

Im happy with portfolio Ive got. Only thing concerned is positions in some growth stuff small and I think if not gonna invest more ill have to sell up and consolidate into one of other shares.

I really like the upside on ones like Etsy

I'm sticking with the basic rule of buying cheap. I was watching a video only yesterday where Buffett said he only got about one investment opportunity every 2 years. He's constantly looking for value but can't find it. It's a good lesson for us all. Buying a company irrespective of it's price is just plain crazy. We'll all learn hard lessons at this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Buffett also famously said something like better to be a good company at fair price than fair company at good price. Buffett doesnt chase cheap. He did at start but changed. Famous line about cigarette butts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Damn you PayPal, why do you keep dropping? Down 65% in the past 6 months. Not sure if I should cut my losses or double down on it at the current price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,762 ✭✭✭antimatterx

I like them, but I'm not sure if I should buy more.

I don't use then much anymore, and I used to use them for every online transaction, even a few years back. Now I never use them. There USP to me was having your card information saved, but now with Apple / Google pay, you don't need to login to PayPal for your cards.

I think what he meant by that was 'cheap' in the old days was cheap compared to just Book Value, whereas later cheap was defined by him and pushed by Munger as the long-term potential of the company in terms of future cash flow growth from little reinvestment. Completely different things, but still cheap by definition.

Post edited by patsy_mccabe on

You not an advocate of Doller Cost Adveraging then? For the majority of people it's the easiest and most trusted way. If you've a system for calcualting value of companies, that's great but for the majority, trying to time the market is impossible

Have a look at the discounted free cash flow model. It will give you at least, a glimpse of the Intrinsic value. Look at dividends and share buybacks also. I like to see growing Equity too and increased debt is a big warning sign of things to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Ekerot

I recently came into 5000 euros recently, and I'm looking at throwing all of it into a growth stock to hold for the next 3 to 5 years. (It's an inheritance so I can afford to lose all of this money really)

Does anyone know of ones worth taking a look at? Preferably something with a low buy price (<20) because I want to load up on hundreds of shares and not give it much more thought afterwards.

I considered increasing my holdings in MTTR at first, but I already have 135 shares in that and it's beginning to take a great deal of beating at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

What has the low buy price got to do with anything? (Whether you own 1 share of a company or hundreds it doesn't matter, you still have the same overall slice of the pie, thats a terrible way to analyse stocks you might buy).

I'd suggest something with growth but safe ish -> Alphabet (Goog)

Advertisement