Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Seems to be turn out of tech growth stocks into leisure and travel related stocks today. Some of these tech stocks you would think are starting to see some value. Looking at starting into Okta and Twilio. Bought some Zimmer. Looking at maybe adding to Salesforce, Polaris, Ionis and Intel. Maybe another google but just chunky share to buy in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

Bit of a car crash for my tech heavy portfolio today! Was hoping the tide might turn since the bleeding started in Oct.

Bit of a crossroads as I feel determined to keep punting the 28 stock mix but feel a bit exposed as not enough solid non tech picks in there

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JimmyCorkhill

Ok, so I have also looked into how their 2020 picks did for A) Year to 31st Dec 2020 & B) Year to 31st Dec 2021.

I could only see 23 selections during the 2020 calendar year.

Anyway, up to the end of Dec 2020, assuming an investment of $1,000 in each stock/share selection the portfolio would have been up 77.2%. A large reason for this increase is the strong performance of Tesla which was a suggestion at the start of 2020. Excluding Tesla, the portfolio would have been up 48% to the year ended Dec 2020.

The performance up to the end of Dec 2021 of the 2020 picks would have seen the portfolio up 77.3% from initial investment, so overall no real increase (0.1%) from the end of December 2020. Excluding Tesla the portfolio would have been up 30% from initial investment to the year ended Dec 2021 compared to being up 48% to the year ended Dec 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Pretty amazing that Apple can increase their market cap by 50 billion in a day, which is 25% of Intels market cap.

Apple is seen as a bank nowadays where people store their cash. It's really incredible to think of a stock like that.

For people talking about Motley Fool, their free articles are just clickbait but their paid service I have read actually gives great returns.

Someone said they don't give any sell recommendations because they're picks are all long term. Their returns from the paid service are apparantly very good.

There's a lot of submitted opinion articles too, so it's not like all articles you see are from MF employees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Cheers. I was judging them on their articles alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭Treppen

Thanks for the tip on Neo on sale, have stocked up.

Nice little pop from BRK.B today. Gonna sell my LMND, DKNG on next green pump and put it in BRK.B and will only add to be BRK.B position going forward.

BRK.B is now up v SPY on the 6 month and 1 year charts.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Layne

This is something I am looking into also. Torn between this and Vanguard S&P 500 ETF.

BRK.B is much simpler to manage from a tax payment point of view.

Have you any concerns regarding age of Buffett and Munger or do you reckon they are just figureheads for the fund at this stage??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Apple (AAPL) now makes up 43% of Berkshire Hathaway. So in effect, you are buying Apple when buying Berkshire. If Apple takes a big hit, it will pass onto Berkshire. Worth considering.

I wonder will Berkshire be the same, when Buffett and Munger are gone. It's like Alex Ferguson leaving Man Utd. It doesn't always continue as in the past. Brilliance isn't always replaced.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Are Buffet and Munger active much now days? I assumed the majority of investments were not through them anymore.

They've left the company in good hands. It's not like they'll die and BRK.B is gonna start investing in crypto and go crazy speculative.

One thing to remember is that BRK is not just an investment fund, they wholly own many companies. Energy, railroads, insurance etc. This means they decide (or buy them in place) who leads the company. So they are hands off but make sure the leadership is good. Greg Abel for example is CEO of Berkshire Energy who is the heir to Buffet.

Annoying day!

Was up 1.5% earlier, now down 0.6%.

My NET is just up 24% now despite being up over 100% couple months ago.

DKNG and LMND are getting binned on the next green pump day.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

Cheers.

The code given is IE00B3XXRP09.

Again there are a number of options, on which exchange etc. Does it make a difference which one I choose?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭TalleyRand83

My boring pick to start 2022 is to lump up my Amazon % & the more speculative pick is DraftKings as I'm betting (pun intended) this has a good run as surely the US gambling market opening up more helps this company and also I like their foot in the door approach with the fantasy games side of things, plenty of competition but room for a few big players.

Almost into the green overall once again. My portfolio went from +12% a couple months ago to -10% a couple weeks ago.

Mostly due to BABA as I kept averaging down.

BABA has had a nice start to 2022.

BABA and BRK.B makes up 75% of my portfolio right now. It'll only increase as they increase.

BRK.B is up 16% since 1 December.

Charlie Munger, you fecking legend. He loaded up on BABA last quarter.

DATAROMA Stock Activity History

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭RaggyDays

What do people expect. This guy is a pure money man, just listen to any interview he gives. At 98 he is still sharp as a razor. People selling out are transferring wealth to him. He didn't get rich by jumping from stock to stock or chasing the next fad after it has already happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Looking at his overall filing, at a quick glance I'd say Charlie's BEP is somewhere around $155 on BABA (current SP $130) soo he's still in the red.

Meanwhile he's made a stack of money 💰 on Wells Fargo. I got in a few months back (Thanks to whoever tipped it here last year and of course Jim Cramer). Its been a nice winner. Results out next Friday ...they are going to be very good (but probably priced into the SP at this stage).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

I've been putting money into VUSD for a number of years. The main reason is because VOO is too expensive per share. Growth should track the same across of them. Some advice here

https://suzmoneylife.com/which-sp-500-etf-to-buy/

WHICH S&P 500 ETF SHOULD YOU BUY?

If you are non US resident planning to buy and hold long term, then go with the Ireland Domiciled S&P 500 ETFs. I would prefer either Vanguard S&P 500 ETF (VUSD) or BlackRock S&P 500 ETF (CSPX) because of the lower expense ratio.

If you want to reinvest your dividend, then go with BlackRock S&P 500 ETF (CSPX), which is of Accumulating Type.

If you are a US resident, then just go with any of the US Domiciled S&P 500 ETFs. I would choose the one with the lower expense ratio.

If you are looking to trade the ETF, then you will want one that has the highest liquidity, which is the State Street Global Advisor (SPY) based on the average trading volume.

So much FUD about China. No doubt there are risks. But if you asked me which would I put my life savings in, Tesla or BABA and it's BABA all day long. It's severely discounted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,122 ✭✭✭dinneenp

So still a very good value buy you'd say?

Cheers.

IMO yes. Don't buy based on my opinion though, don't want anyone following based on what I say alone.

I'm down 30% on BABA after opening a small position since 260 and then averaging down bigly in the last year. 55% of my investment in my portfolio is BABA. BRK.B is my next biggest position with 25% of my money in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭80s Child

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Gonna open a DEGIRO account I think, does anyone know are there still referral/joining bonuses available?

BABA currently up over 3% PM, just over 136 USD

In HK it finished at 133 HKD meaning if prices are equal it will be 138 USD

If it sticks it'll be up over 13% this year.

Word of warning though in 3 weeks in October it went up 27% and then made me lows so buyer beware

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭jams100

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Fruks

It’s difficult to analyse all of what’s going on in the market right now. I think that relatively young stage companies with high growth but also profitability may be the near term outperformers.

Of stocks on my own watchlists I’m thinking $APPS, $MELI, $ZM, $SE and $INMD. However, certainly very interesting times and I’m enjoying watching and learning despite a high growth portfolio suffering a relatively volatile period.

Advertisement