Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleted File Recovery?

Options
  • 26-12-2021 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

Deleted a folder of, mainly, .jpg's from my desk top. Empty the bin by muscle memory. 10.

Command Prompt is Japanese, to me. Can't get past the first steps anyway.

Disk Drill wants a ton, just to see if they can manage anything.

Uneraser wants half that. They at least claim to have found GB's of jpg's on my entire entity (Not just C:) That could make sense, frankly. If they could offer me a name? I'd pay.

Anything else, please? I'm at the level of switch the thing on and read emails and fora. I take a lot of pictures though.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

This. In general the pictures aren't really deleted until you fill the space they were taking up. If you haven't added much data to the pc since you deleted it, then something like Recuva should work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Stigura

We,, guys, it's been a very hectic few days. Sadly; Nothing 😥

I did manage to DL a whole load of pictures. Mind bending what sticks to ye hard drive! Pictures from a random corner of a page on Amazon I happened to pass? Peoples Avatars, from another forum! Crazy! But, the DIY project I'd recorded? Nuffn!

I got the Files. Knew that by the names. But, while the Properties reads as jpg., Nothing recognises them. Tried Paint. A hosting site. On line jpg to png converter. Nope.

These were jpg's. Deleted, late afternoon 25th. Used Recuva 24 hours later. All I did, between times, was watch a few hours of film on a hosting site. (I didn't DL the films to my disc) Can't see how that overwrote my pix. In fact, I'm pretty solidly sure that I was looking at Amazon Before I wiped the folder of pix :(

Oh well. Thanks for the effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

When you used Recuva where did you receive the files to? It should not be the same drive as they were originally afaik?

Mordeith; I spotted that. Put them onto a stick drive. Still there. It was probably one of the most intense times of my life. Doing all that ~ to me ~ esoteric stuff. Searching so hard for so little, amidst So much. Only to have the steel toe capped size eleven of fate, smashing carelessly into the innocent nuts of my hope 😥

It's horrible too, because I'm constantly getting a mental flash and thinking; " Oh No!!! That's gone too?!? "

Horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Did you try Recuva's advanced or deep scan options? They can recover files that wizard mode doesn't.

Ideally you should use the PC as little as possible between deleting the files and trying to recover them.

It is possible that temporary cached data watching streaming video could overwrite disk areas that contained deleted files. How likely this is would depend on a number of factors, e.g. how much free space was on the disk, how much data was streamed, how the application, OS and disk cache data e.g. wear leveling etc...

If you haven't tried advanced or deep scan options I'd give them a go if the pictures are important. Deep scan can take a long time though as it goes through the disk bit by bit to reconstruct files. It won't recover file names but can recover data other modes don't.

• Advertisement

Did the deep scan, Fish. Took Hours! Then, I had to sit here ~ probably More Hours ~ fingertip searching through what seemed like a football crowds finger prints. Looking for the odd sign that anything was anything but some dot, or other 'icon' used in the depths of the system.

Like I say; I found most of the files. Got them out. But, they're vegetables :(

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

I always use photorec that comes with TestDisk.

It's opensource and is command line, but not difficult to use. You can choose what file formats you want to recover and you should recover to a different drive if possible.

I think there is a GUI version Qphotorec but I've never tried it.

Let me know if you're stuck with using the program.

Morpork; Thanks.

I dl'd that one, last night. Opened it up and had a glimpse at it. Then slept on it.

Well, I'm a bit of a Trail Cam nut. And I'm presently doing a Lot of work with a particular, nasty, cam that takes avi's. Lots of them. So, before my head's even cleared, today? I've off loaded and deleted a World of heavy film clips.

Considering what I'd done to my lost files inside 24 hours? The tiny few even half left would be concreted over by now :( And, with my level of tek / typing skills? You'd as well to come here and try to do it for me. Even then, I can't see there possibly being a trace left. And, by the time ye read this? I'll be emptying Another cam load.

Thanks, everyone. We tried. (Flat Line Beep ..........)

• I bet you’ve inadvertently built-up some tech skills in the frustrating process 😉

My late mother once said to me, when seeing me virtually tearing my hair out whilst trying to troubleshoot something decades ago “you’ll have learned an awful lot by going through all that, you might not see it having meaning now, but sometime you will re-encounter done if that and some of the steps will seem familiar.”

She was entirely right. Stuff that has frustrated or appears incomprehensible is nonetheless sinking into your brain and can tie up and make sense eventually. It feels tragic to lose important data, but you can take steps to prevent any further losses in future by having things backed up in at least 2 cloud locations, on your main drive and on another drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

When you browse the Web it saves image files to a folder, something like c, browser, history, temporary internet files, this folder can be large if you don't erase the files say once a month,

you should look for avi files, Mp4 files on drive C if you don't need em delete them, just make sure there's at least 10 per cent free space on drive C. Copy data to a USB drive. Google easus 2gig data recovery it's free, download, install program , click easus file recovery, scan drive c,

to scan my USB 60gig drive it takes approx 5 to 6 hours, I'm just going thru it this week ust recovering old mp3 files, click on lost files, folder images, see www.easus.com data recovery, it'll scan drive C show all deleted files , free version allows you to recover 2gig of data each time you use it. Or after scan is complete.

Photorec and test disk or free and not complex to use. Obviously a 500 gig drive takes a long time to scan.

Using recuva you can set look for image files deep scan, or look for jpeg files only, files marked green dot means in good condition easy to recover, your jpeg image files might show up as jpeg 57. 100, jpeg 234. Eg random no.jpeg eg file is there but original name is lost

My USB drive is shown as drive f 59.8gig in Windows, start menu, my computer, easus says there's 5000 files on it if I do a scan,

you can just choose to recover image files lost folder eg ignore docs and video files after the scan is complete

• Advertisement

Advertisement