Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes... Cull or not?

Options
  • 26-12-2021 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Seem to have a lot of foxes around the land the past two years.

Should I get someone in to cull or not? What risks or threats do they pose?

It is a dairy farm, so neospora would be a concern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭JP22

I believe yes if the situation warrants it. In the past I have shot them for landowners and I have also not touched them on other farms when asked to leave them alone.

You must firstly ask yourself, are they a cause for concern to you/your farm/your livestock/your livelihood?

As we no longer have higher predators here, in good years many species can get out of control and they then become vermin, a nuisance or a health hazard.

If you have very large numbers on your lands, then there must be plenty of food (rabbit, mice, voles, chicken etc.......) available for them.

Do NOT pay anyone to shoot/control them, any true hunter will gladly to this for you free of charge. If there is a local game club in your area (or someone you know who hunts), give them a call and they should be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

Are they actually bothering you right now?

What impact would getting rid of them have on the rabbit / mouse / rat population?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Paddyviking

What part of the country are you in ?

PV

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭YellowLead

My mother gets somebody in (for free) to shoot foxes because they keep taking her hens. Same with the neighbours except they do something which I feel is cruel, they leave out a a trap and caught a large male in it a few weeks ago.

At least (I hope) shooting is a quick death.

Advertisement