Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Figured this was a language question. Do we know of this in Ireland? What is it?

Options
  • 27-12-2021 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Comments

When a public holiday falls on a weekend, and you normally only work week days, we take the next working day off.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭irelandjnr

Fair, but have you ever heard this term before in Ireland? I didn't. Would I be right in saying we don't use this term?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Notmything

"Christmas Day"? Nope never came across it before.

Unless you mean "observed", some clarity would be welcome.

I've seen it used on official documents or guidance records eg "as <insert holiday> falls on a non working day, this holiday will be observed the next working day".

But in general usage I would rarely come across it.

No it isn't a common term, but probably because it isn't needed broadly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,569 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's a common term in US for holidays that land on the weekend. I'm at work right now in the US, they don't acknowledge Stephens's day in any way and at least in my company, Christmas day was 'observed' with Friday (Christmas Eve) off.

I much rather the Irish practice of pushing the day in to the next week, instead of the end of the previous one.

Advertisement