Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar PV Monitoring/Automation Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I think someone has filed a PR to add same to the repo files.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I haven't looked at it in a long while. I reacquaint myself with it over the weekend if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 kdceddj

It was me: Added Timed Charge/Discharge sensors in Solis Hybrid definition by Kdceddj · Pull Request #397 · StephanJoubert/home_assistant_solarman · GitHub. It's in master but has not yet been released to HACS by the repo owner.

For whoever is into writing time charge/discharge via HA, here's handy scripts that leverage the single and multiple register writes

inverter_set_charge_current:
      alias: "Inverter Set Charge Current"
      sequence:
        - service: solarman.write_holding_register
          data:
            register: 43141
            value: "{{ current_da }}"
    inverter_set_discharge_current:
      alias: "Inverter Set Discharge Current"
      sequence:
        - service: solarman.write_holding_register
          data:
            register: 43142
            value: "{{ current_da }}"
    inverter_set_charge_time:
      alias: "Inverter Set Charge Time"
      sequence:
        - service: solarman.write_multiple_holding_registers
          data:
            register: 43143
            values:
              - "{{ start_hour }}"
              - "{{ start_minute }}"
              - "{{ end_hour }}"
              - "{{ end_minute }}"
    inverter_set_discharge_time:
      alias: "Inverter Set Discharge Time"
      sequence:
          data:
            register: 43147
            values:
              - "{{ start_hour }}"
              - "{{ start_minute }}"
              - "{{ end_hour }}"
              - "{{ end_minute }}"

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ah sweet, I'm currently doing it via my own scripts.. where do you put that script to set the times?

Create a script and some input_numbers and input_datetimes

sequence:
        data:
          register: 43141
          values:
            - >-
              {{ '%.0f' |
              format(states('input_number.solis_battery_charge_current')| float *
              10) }}
            - >-
              {{ '%.0f' |
              format(states('input_number.solis_battery_discharge_current')| float *
              10) }}
            - "{{state_attr('input_datetime.solis_charge_period_1_start', 'hour')}}"
            - "{{state_attr('input_datetime.solis_charge_period_1_start', 'minute')}}"
            - "{{state_attr('input_datetime.solis_charge_period_1_end', 'hour')}}"
            - "{{state_attr('input_datetime.solis_charge_period_1_end', 'minute')}}"
            - >-
              {{state_attr('input_datetime.solis_discharge_period_1_start',
              'hour')}}
            - >-
              {{state_attr('input_datetime.solis_discharge_period_1_start',
              'minute')}}
            - "{{state_attr('input_datetime.solis_discharge_period_1_end', 'hour')}}"
            - >-
              {{state_attr('input_datetime.solis_discharge_period_1_end',
              'minute')}}
    mode: single
    alias: Solis Write Time of Use Settings

• Advertisement

Does that script just go into scripts.yaml?

I done the previous setting via pyscript. I assume you are changing the Self use/Feed in Priority/Time of use in a similar fashion?

Either in there or create it through the GUI in yaml mode. Settings -> Automation and Scenes -> Scripts

As for the modes, I just have tap action on each button to write the appropriate mode (33, 35 etc).

type: custom:button-card
    name: Self Use
    icon: mdi:home-battery-outline
    size: 20%
    tap_action:
      action: call-service
      service: solarman.write_holding_register
      service_data:
        register: 43110
        value: 33

I understand now, I had that gap in my knowledge and couldnt make a start on it.

@graememk if you're migrating over from pyscript, you'll probably need the timesync script too. Here it is a native HA version. Just set it on an automation once a day and it will stop the time from drifting.

alias: Solis Sync Inverter Time
    sequence:
        data:
          register: 43000
          values: "{{ now().strftime(\"%y %m %d %H %M %S\").split() }}"
    mode: single
    icon: mdi:timer-sync

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Quick question for anyone who has expertise with Sofar inverters

I've a Sofar HYD 6K-EP hybrid inverter

I'd like to change the battery charging settings given the crap weather we're having, want to charge it more overnight

But I really don't want to get the ladder and climb into the attic. I don't have a proper attic ladder so it involves some acrobatics

So, is there any way to configure the inverter remotely? I've got the basic Sofar app but that seems to only be for data logging

Is there another app I can use? Seems a bit hit and miss between inverter models

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement

Moved from Random Renewables thread.

Are you using Home Assistant? The Solarman integration looks to support that inverter.

Or sofar2mqtt, there is raspberry pi version (and there is an esp8266 version too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Interesting, although probably more work than I'll get done this weekend 😂

Will definitely take a look into both of those, would like to get the remote control sorted as I think it's one thing the inverter is really lacking at the moment

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭championc

But set it once now and forget about it. If you are on a tariff which pays a decent FIT, then it would make sense to charge it up every night, 365, to maximize your exporting.

Only deemed export if worth using battery to store solar, since the best thing is getting paid deemed export, and exporting nothing.

Of course, the deemed export payments are about to cease, and potentially even before D/N meters are replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

Completed and tested this last night. A simple solution that works well for my use case.

Between the hours Start/End if the EV is connected and charging then disable the JKBMS flag so that the car doesn't pull charge from my battery. If the car finishes charging between these hours then allow the battery to discharge to cover the house load.

Assuming the car charging is during a night tariff period, and if charging stopped early, surely it would still make sense to run the house off the grid rather than the battery ? And surely it would make sense to charge the battery during the cheap period, rather than discharging ?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

Right now my battery (40kWh) has been getting me all through the night and day, obviously due to the summer period. However, you make a valid point on the cheap period. I will add a flag to make the timing an option. On Energia at the moment, but depending on what Smart Tarrif I get later this year then I may need to discharge from the battery at night outside of the few hours window.

Look at Pinergy so when changing, or even consider changing now. 5c import, 28c FIT, 3hrs on EV plan. €100 cashback on levelpay plan. That would cover your break contract penalty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Have you code to share. This is probably what I need. At moment I have been trying to charge battery just before day rate, and car and run immersion just before battery window, to sort of manually achieve the same thing (min house battery to car).

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭The devils

My invertor is outside in lean too - reaches temps plus 60 degrees

• Advertisement

Guts im looking at any threads relating to the solis app remote monitoring - cant seem to set my charge via app - any help would be appreciated.

Only got remote setting installed yesterday - and whats weird is i cant charge from invertor either this morning before i left for work (just for an hour or 2 )

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Have u ever had it thru app before? If not open a ticket and request the feature. Its not by default i think. If you used to have it but its gone missing....uninstall and reinstall the app on yer phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

Is there a special tariff from pinergy or a link required to sign up?

thanks - I have only recently got the app and though "hey it would be nice to have some remote control, just incase", since yesterday i have amended the local controls and should be fine now, however all i really wanted was to be able to "run" charge from the grid remotely via app.

Take Care

Only just discovered that Solcast provides 10th and 90th percentile information about its estimates buried as attributes.

- sensor:
         name: 'Solcast Forecast Today 10th Percentile'
         unique_id: solcast_forecast_today_10th_percentile
         unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'
         state: '{{ state_attr("sensor.solcast_forecast_today", "detailedHourly") | sum(attribute="pv_estimate10") }}'
         state_class: measurement
         device_class: energy
         icon: mdi:solar-power
      - sensor:
         name: 'Solcast Forecast Today 90th Percentile'
         unique_id: solcast_forecast_today_90th_percentile
         state: '{{ state_attr("sensor.solcast_forecast_today", "detailedHourly") | sum(attribute="pv_estimate90") }}'
      - sensor:
         name: 'Solcast Forecast Tomorrow 10th Percentile'
         unique_id: solcast_forecast_tomorrow_10th_percentile
         state: '{{ state_attr("sensor.solcast_forecast_tomorrow", "detailedHourly") | sum(attribute="pv_estimate10") }}'
      - sensor:
         name: 'Solcast Forecast Tomorrow 90th Percentile'
         unique_id: solcast_forecast_tomorrow_90th_percentile
         state: '{{ state_attr("sensor.solcast_forecast_tomorrow", "detailedHourly") | sum(attribute="pv_estimate90") }}'

You can pull these out and create additional sensors using the templates above. On very bad days, I find Solcast tends to overestimate, so it will be interesting to see if the 10th percentile prediction is more accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Handy but their predictions have been quite bad this month for me (forecast.solar was more accurate somehow)

Also, any luck getting some sort of angle calculation into the met.ie predictions? It's usually the most accurate model for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Why would you need angle calculation in the met.ie stuff. The angle of your panels is fixed. Met.ie will give you the solar radiation (estimate) for the day. So you compute "I got x kwhr from y solar radiation today" (I take an average over 10 days).......so tomorrow you can work out that your system will get "1.5x from 1.5y radiation" etc. This works pretty well. No need to overcomplicate it.

Note above from Aug 16th -> Aug 25th. Nearly a perfect match of forecast to generation. And again from Sept 8th -> Sept 20th nearly spot on. Other days are a little "off", but even for the start of Sept, it was tracking the general trend.

I charted and compared the models for me and met.ie was (by far) better than solcast - though that could well be down to the fact that statistically the Met.ie forecast for Dublin city might be better/more accurate than where you are in the country. Just sayin..

Aside: Tomorrow Wed 27th looks pretty bleak for Dublin, although back to sunshine again on Thurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭con747

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭10-10-20

At 08:40, 7.4w off 1.9kW of solar is defined as bleak in Dublin.

"yer man is so bleak that he wouldn't even share a fart"

Advertisement