Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How should mods be recruited?

Options

Comments

'Clearly breaking the rules' is more subjective than you think. This is what the CMODS are for.

Ultimately, boards.ie isn't a democracy. Does the site self harm, such as the prison forum being a 'sport' too often, yes. Can you request it to be better, yes. Ultimately, will the powers that be intervene in the way you want, possibly.

Personally, I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts. No boards.ie was unthinkable well into late 2010s. The 2020s, not so much.

The 'change' seemed like an attempt to make it less costly to run, which has damaged it. Whether it has been holed below the waterline remains to be seen. But, it has been in decline before that, subtly at times, less so others (the prison forum, the treatment of Whoops).

'The Great moderation Resignation' of late is disappointing. If the remaining, over worked/under appreciated mods continue to be vilified it will only speed the decline. Be careful what you wish for.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

If that was happening then pm a cmod. But as CW says breaking rules is more subjective than one person's opinions. I have often seen outraged reported posts with nothing I could identify to justify the outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Have you never experienced any other type of internet forum than boards?

It's no different at all, it's just something you have to accept. Even if you got a bunch of mods you 100% agreed with there would be other people who would think they're being unfair.

I mean this generally so no offence but I find boards to be like every other place online. Some mods seem to be fair l, some don't. Some I like, some I don't. That doesn't mean the ones I think are unfair or I don't like shouldn't be mods, because that's just my own personal biases coming into it.

In a few previous incarnations, hence the 3 after my current name, I've fallen foul of a few decisions I don't agree with but ultimately accept. I now just stay clear from those particular types of threads I was allergic to and hey presto, I have no issues now.

I think we all have to accept that we're not special enough to get everything our own way, and maybe, just maybe, we won't like every mod, just like we don't like everyone in life.

Difference on an internet forum people tend to think that they're never wrong so can get rid of any mods they don't like.

Tldr: Accept you're on an internet forum that may seem like it's a public space but it's not, so accept the decisions by the people that enforce the rules, sometimes in their own perspective, as they have the final say. Life becomes less stressful then and you stop being an angry person online.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Yes, please do answer it and also provide links so we can all see the offending posts.

I've seen mods, even in this thread, pile on with thanks in posts that actually should have been modded, deleted or snipped.

I doubt many posters know (i) they can refer mod inaction to a Cmod or (ii) expect that would produce a result.

I still think the time limit on mods is a good idea...although it doesn't address how mods should be recruited. But it seems that a lot of bad mods have hung around, and as I said at the start, problems become concentrated. A constant turnover of mods might see mixed results, but as with say a lot of voluntary committees where there are time limits on directors, it would at least mitigate that problem.

How many mods have been removed for being...just bad mods?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Alot of bad mods have hung around

I would think the number is fairly low as if they were that bad they would have been removed. I cannot think of too many mods that I would see as bad.

Getting pulled up by a mod does not mean that mod is bad.

Absolutely not. In fact getting pulled by a mod is usually valid

But a mod making a personal comments and then arguing that once it's his opinion he's entitled to post it, and other mods standing by and not intervening, should see all of those mods pulled aside and asked if they have any idea about how to mod properly.

In which case contact a cmod. How many times does this need to be said?

Maybe it should be said an awful lot more, across all the forums, and that would improve the quality of modding?

Perhaps it could be carried as a sticky here on the Feedback forum, and a process whereby people can contact CMods could be set up.

I know there is a Dispute Resolution Forum, but that is based on the idea of posters seeking to challenge bans or infractions, which doesn't cover this situation.

you wouldn’t see an admin being yelled at on thread in the same way you or I might get told to cop on.

Niamh (I think?) is the one who’d do the yelling if it’s required, but I can’t imagine it would happen in public view.

the fact is if boards staff started reprimanding admins (or admins to Cmods or mods) on threads they would be undermining them and making them look incompetent even if that wasn’t the goal.

it would just be a bad idea as well as being absolutely needless and embarrassing for them I think is fair to say. Everyone has someone here to keep them in check, users have mods, mods have Cmods, Cmods have admins & admins have Niamh & Odhean.

It’s obviously pointless and 100x more work than necessary to pull a poster aside when they’re acting the maggot, but mods and so on would be much easier, there’s just less of them and since they’re split into forums with a Cmod to watch etc. i guess it’s a different story if a mod from say After Hours goes into the Covid forum and starts acting the maggot, I wouldn’t expect their cmod to pull them aside about it, ofc the covid mods should deal with it as normal since at that point you’re just a poster, you’re not a mod in that space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Perhaps you should ask the originator of the claim to provide the evidence.

PM is the process where you can contact cmods.

In general the modding is excellent which is evident when you see what cesspits other online forums can become.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

Any argument for mods" status to not be visible at all when posting in threads?(even Sir Tony Blair has suggested he not be called "Sir Anthony 😉"

I mean what point does it actually serve?

If you want to report a post ,a mod can answer you and you will then know their username .

I can see ,though how that might feed the paranoia of some.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭corks finest

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

literally none of that made any sense or had anything to do with the post you quoted.

It would be nice if the world was perfect alright

• Registered Users Posts: 22,306 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The Prison forum is gone a few years now. It was good crack to read the threads there.

The Banlist is one I miss - it was handy to see who was on the naughty step, and reregs getting pwned.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Prison forum existed until the changeover.

The Banlist had to go as it was encouraging use of abusive usernames.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭amandstu

"literally none of that made any sense"

What ,for a mod's status to be invisible to a poster is unintelligible to you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

You should ask to become a mod and show everyone where they are all going wrong.

Back in the day admins like Gordon used to take the piss out of some of the trolls that ended up there. In recent years the newer admins have been a lot more civil and matter of fact with prison posters.

It's a feedback forum

A poster could post on every thread with a facile and useless contribution like your "well why don't you take over" effort.

Plus, you obviously haven't read the thread anyway if you think applicants "ask". Mods have repeatedly said the process is one of invitation.

I'm giving you feedback, you seem to be the man with all the answers so push your case to become a mod.

That could be seen as personal abuse telling me my idea is useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭MTU

If a poster wants to become a mod I think they should apply. Why should it be a ticking box exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

As a cmod should you not be able to do something about it?

Or is moderation oversight that broken where cmods can note poor moderation (even if outside their category) and nothing can be done about it?

A cmod is a category mod. I am cmod of 3 categories so what happens in the other categories is none of my business other than I can give feedback the same as anyone else.

No it couldn't. Telling someone they're post is facile and inane is not personal. But if you think it is, report it instead of repeatedly trolling and trying to derail the thread.

Now, do you have an on topic comment about mod recruitment?

• Advertisement

Oh so now I'm a troll as well but no I have never reported anything and won't be now either so I'll leave you too it.

Advertisement