Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ruger American 223

Options
  • 28-12-2021 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Another thread started.Going to look at the above rifle this evening and was wondering has anyone gotten one or have any experience shooting one.Im only going to be using it for fox and Grey's out to maybe 200-250yrds daytime and probably 150yrds at night via pard.Will this rifle shoot 2-3 inch at them distances.I know my hmr at 100 could easily do 1.5 with no wind.

Also 1-8 twist what will it shoot best weight wise.I want to maybe put 100 zeroing getting to know the gun rounds down it so what cheap rounds are suitable and I'd also like to get advice on a good round for hunting and what weight is best for hunting,thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I haven't shot the American version but have fired/used other models such as a M77, etc. I found them to be on par with CZ for quality, performance and cost. A reliable and affordable mid level rifle.

One thing I would point out, and I don't want to derail your thread by turning it into a discussion on ballistics, is the twist rate. 1:8 is usually for heavier bullets to be stablisied. Some rifles will stabilise lighter rounds even with a fast twist rate, but I found the majority only test this out to 200 yards max. So if your shooting is within that distance then you may be ok, but if further you may run into problems as "heavier" rounds are not always available, not always best suited to your rifle and will cost more than other "lighter" rounds such as 53 to 55 gr stuff.

In other words if the rifle is ammo fussy, and with a 1:8 twist rate, you may be "forced" to stick with something in the 65 to 75gr and from experience I can tell you there was (not sure about now as I haven't bought any in 18 months) not a huge selection and constant availability of it was not to be had.

Are you focusing on the Ruger for the package deal aspect, the price or is it something you genuninely just want?

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭17hmr1

Nope not stuck on Ruger one bit,I was offered it as a basic cheap 223 that was ex display so a fair discount was available.The dealer has others available so I've a pick of different models.What twist rate shoots the 50-550gr rounds,is it 1-9.

Would you pick a better brand 2nd hand than a cheaper brand new.Do 223 barrels get shot out or is that just for larger calibre.

And just an aside,223s new and 2nd rifles hand are getting hard to find in any reasonable quantities from the dealers I rang.Im heading down to McBride's in Athlone he said he's a load which surprised me.Cant wait to have a browse.

I'm not advocating for going for another make that'll cost you far more. The ballistic issue may or may not actually be an issue. My 223s are 1:9 and 1:12. I've also owned 1:8 and shot one that was 1:7.25. The faster the twist the more it prefers heavier rounds/bullets.

It (the Ruger) could be like the CZ or Tikka and shoot the medium bullets (50 to 55) as well as the heavier (65 to 75). I would be mindful of it, but not let it rule my decision if I were choosing and if the rifle is coming at a good price then it'd be hard to pass up.

Second hand vs new. Not much in them. You'll possibly get a "better" make in second hand for the same price as new in a lower quality/rated make. Most 223s have a high barrel life. 7,000+ rounds would be the minimum/norm. Even a "heavy" shooter would struggle to shoot out a 223 barrel with some makes/brands being good for up to 15,000 rounds. That means if you shot 500 rounds per year you'll get 14 to 30 years before you need to check the barrel.

McBride has a lot of 223s, or did the last time I was there. He is cautious about letting people into the gun room, preferring to hand out rifles to inspect, but try get in and have a look as my last rifle from him was found rather than sought. By that I mean I saw it and while it was not one I was looking for I seen it and liked it so took it over what I was initially looking for or what was handed/suggested to me.

I don't want to discourage you from a make/brand no more than I want to just throw out the "usual suspects" in terms of makes simply to name names. Realisitically you won't go wrong with the Ruger. It'll do what you want as much as any other rifle. I've often said most lads cannot "out shoot" the rifle they own. IOW their [the shooter] ability is not well above the capabilities of the rifle. That is not a crack at anyone, but what good is paying €3,000 for a 223, €2,000 for a scope, and another 500 for accessories when you only shoot out to 200 yards max. A €600 rifle with €200 scope will do the exact same thing. I know I have/had both.

The other thing to consider is your type of shooting. You're not looking for something to hit the bull at 1,000 yards, only Foxes at probably out to 150/200 yards. There is a larger margin for "error/inaccuracy" while still being effective. So choose accordingly.

As said in your other thread your FO is gone for the next 10 days so take this time to look around and consider your options.

Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Yeah I bought my hmr off him and he handed it out rather then let me I the room.Im not doing any range shooting any time soon so 250yrds is my max if that for hunting.Id like it to shoot the cheaper 50/55gr accurate enough out to that distance and keep at least a 3/4 inch group which will knock down a fox side on.

I'll ask James himself what he has in my price range and see what's going.Overall though if you were to pick a twist just for hunting what would it be,thanks

I'd stick with 1:12 as its a great middle ground, plenty of ammo both selection and types, suits most ammo down to 40gr and even a little above 55gr, and will be more poppular for re-sale.

• Advertisement

Well went down and felt the Ruger.Stock was terrible I could twist it in hand.Looked at a few different makes and found one I liked and had before.So bought cz 527 synthetic American and as new hausken mod.Went way above budget but gun felt much better than Ruger and I love cz.

So it's a 1 in 9 so hopefully lighter 50s and 55s run ok through it.And what a great shop and gent of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Good choice on the 527 they are a cracker for accuracy,I had one it loved American eagle 50gr it would easily put 3 into one hole using the set trigger.I could shoot it out to 600y on steel using the kestrel for drops and wind and 53gr superformance ammo…..an overall excellent rifle!

It just felt a better rifle but maybe I wasted a few hundred extra on a name but I think it was a good choice.Its not hard to see though why in America the Ruger would sell by the bucket load as it can be bought for under $400 and if we could get it for ,,€ 350 it would sell too.

I also held the Ruger American predator,by God it's a fierce ugly rifle but maybe it shoots a dream.Overall I hope the cz shoots as well as the 22lr and 17hmr i had in cz.

Also does anyone know where I can get dovetail rings for it for a 3*9*40 scope.It comes with dovetail base fitted.

You'll need a dedicated set for it, iirc, as the rifle has a 16mm dovetail with a notched base. The rings, or rather the rear one, has to have the corresponding "spigot" to fit into the notch. They're to stop the rings moving.

I was full sure I had a set, but either I don't or cannot find them as its been almost a decade since I owned the same rifle.

They should look like this, again iirc. Just make sure to get the right size (25 or 30 mm) and the right height for your rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭pm.

Nice gun you won't go wrong tbh. I have a steyr pro hunter 223 and it also has a 1 in 9 and will easily shoot well under an inch at 100 yards using 50 grain. Best of luck with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

have an american in .223. does what it says on the tin. only used for foxing. 300 yds no problem using fiocchi v max 50 gr. shes 1:9 twist i believe.

seemed fussy with ammo but likes winchester super x and fiocchi vmax

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sako75varmint

Sometimes the apparent fussiness can be due not to the weight of the round but rather the profile of the round i.e whether the round has a flat base or a boat tail. I've always found boat tail to be most accurate firing these inexpensive rounds (Federal American Eagle) at both 55gr and 62gr in my Sako 75 1:8 twist without any accuracy issues whatsoever. The boat tail has the effect of reducing drag and promoting stability of the round.

Check out - "Pairing Barrel Twist Rates with Bullet Weights for .223 and 5.56 NATO" in gunsandammo dot com

Post edited by sako75varmint on

Advertisement