Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

• 28-12-2021 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Dublin Airport was a mess yesterday. Got there just over two hours before my flight was due to leave and I still missed it.

The Dublin Airport website said 55 minutes through security, and then again on the screen at the airport, but it was closer to 2 hours through.

No attempt to help passengers through. No information in the queue. Absolute shambles.

Is it worth complaining? Doubt it would be possible to get compensated for this somehow

Comments

I intentionally went through security check in Terminal2 to avoid Terminal1. It seems I made the correct choice.

Where were you flying to? Did you have to drop off bags and if so, how long did that take?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I've only recently heard you can do this. How long does it take? Is it well signposted?

easy to walk to terminal 2 from terminal 1 using sheltered walkway. signs from upper floor direct to terminal 1 but I didn't even go to terminal 1, I got off the bus and at terminal 2, went through security and then walked airside to terminal1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,004 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Sorry that you missed your flight, hope you got sorted out with another one.

Now you do realise that folk will berate you for not being there hours and hours before the flight and you will be sick listening to it. But seriously, two hours is not enough really even at the best of times! At this time of year and with Covid and all the rest of it there are bound to be delays of some sort or another. A lot of staff are calling in sick at the last minute with positive Covid tests, and lack of staff in all public facing roles and elsewhere are suffering because of this.

Lesson learned. Complain if you think it is worth it to DAA but I reckon they will respond with the truth - that it is hard to plan for last minute Covid absences etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭AngryLips

If the security queue time exceeded the time between check-in closing and gate closing then DAA have failed to meet their SLA with the airline, you'd have a strong case to pursue further.

Good idea. How long did it take to get through T2 security?

20 to 25 minutes despite only two queues being opened on 27th December which should be one of the busiest days in the airport.

Accept that the DAA don't give a damn about you.

I was there 2 hours 10 mins before the flight left as recommended by the airport. The app said 55 minutes to get through security before we left, and then on screen at the airport. Seems like they messed up with their information.

• Advertisement

I received mail from Ryanair advising to arrive "at least" three hours in advance and that their check-in opens three hours in advance.

That says something about the airport staffing levels both in Ryanair and in security check.

[quote]Due to possible long waiting times at security control, please arrive at Dublin Airport at least 3 hours before your scheduled departure time.

Please be advise that our check in desks open 3 hours and close 40 minutes prior your schedule departure time.

Ryanair apologises for the inconvenience caused by these restrictions which are outside of our control.

Ryanair Customer Care Team

[/quote]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Dublin Airport has been a total disaster since the pandemic started both for departures and arrivals... they are simply not up to the task in my view. I have travelled through a few Airports and i don't think i ever spent longer than 30 mins in a security queue... I personally think if people can confirm at Airport 2 hours before the flight and have no baggage they should be guaranteed to get through... They need to sort it out.

I was not aware we could walk from terminal 1 to 2 airside and often wondered why this was the case. Its a wonder Ryanair and Aerlingus are not making a bit of a fuss about this as its their customers... imagine being asked to be at the Airport 3 hours before departure for an hour flight... crazy for me..

I know, it's crazy. I haven't see this in any other airport I've travelled through.

I remember I arrived late for a flight at a UK airport (my own fault) and they fast tracked me through. They also had communication to passengers at different points in the queue. No chance of that happening at Dublin airport.

The same happened with me at Amsterdam a few years ago.... arrived on long haul and only 90 min window... was whizzed though the Airport on the golf cart and put up on the lift they use for disabled passengers... I just sat in my seat and the plane took off...

I think people should start making it an issue with the Airlines and the media as it is unacceptable in these times...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’ve flew in November and December, both times no bother in the airport using fast track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Are DAA assuming the planes are only partially full and staffing security accordingly? It's not like they are going to be surprised that if 200 planes are scheduled to take off that 200 take off.

Ryanair advice passengers to be at airport 3 hours before their flight is due to leave.

Did you ask for help jumping the queue once you realised that you were running late? I’ve often seen staff being approached by passengers running late and they’d be helped through.

The reasons for long queues are Covid, Covid, Covid. Staff having to isolate because they were close contacts.

...and I once had a Dublin Airport member of staff roar at me at the top of voice that it was my fault for only arriving an hour early for my flight in a crowded departures hall.

DAA is run for the benefit of the employees, not the travelling public.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Travelling numbers are down, airlines have some cancellations, Dublin Airport security should be able to keep pace with that reduced demand for their services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I presume Dublin Airport security numbers are affected equally/proportionally by covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

There’s also delays as they need to check documents

I think you are absolutely right to pay €10 for fast-track and be through in 5 mins... what i think is absolutely wrong is daa cannot say the approx time at Dublin airport for security check in... the OP there 2+ hours at security with a handbag... CRAZY...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I mean they can't continue to use that excuse. Its not like documentation is there a few weeks or a short term thing. That's been there for months now and likely will be for at least another year. Hire more people ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

I have just gone to Paris (ORY) and spent a lot more time queuing in Paris than Dublin. I had to show my passport at 3 different points…

The OP said arrived 2 hours + Dub to UK with handbag... whats your story...times checked not the problem as this has happened with me... entry airport... security... and airline... i think this conversation about security time only...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Deub

and I queued more in Paris for security than in Dublin. Maybe it was a bad day in Dublin for the op but it is not every day like this. When I flew out of Dublin just before Christmas, the airline opened the check in just 2hr before departure. I had to queue for 1h to have my luggage checked in. In the 1hr left, I went trough security and went to buy few thing before boarding.

• Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Why not give out about the people who still don't have their stuff organised when waiting for security. Then only get it together when about to go through.

Delays in security have never been the fault of staffing (that I've experienced) it's the eejits who are not remotely organised

The times are estimated. It takes very few disorganised people to add 15-20 mins onto a wait.

Even pre covid, 2 hours was given as the advice as a minimum

• Advertisement

The OP had no luggage was there 2+ hours before flight with handbag and missed flight... your situation would be the expected norm... 2 hours to do it all... Dublin has a lot of bad days especially since people are being advised to be there 3 hours before for a hop... maybe ferry be quicker...

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭it takes 2 2 tango

It’s usually women who are the offenders here

It's both. Lads foostering with belts and with their phone, tablet, and 10 other things that go in separate trays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Totally different situation.

Coming off a long haul flight with a tight connection airlines will try and get you to your connection.

They will know who on the inbound flight has tight connections and request them to be allowed disembark first and have things like the golf cart on standby for them.

Exactly. If there was adequate provision then the decline in DAA staff would match the decline in passengers, so there would still be adequate provision.

A queue is a public health nightmare, Dublin Airport should not be allowed carry on like this

I absolutely agree Amsterdam is a huge international hub... Dublin a small Island Airport and are completely out of this game...

What you seem to be saying is Dublin do not know the numbers departing on a given day that need pass through the system etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

was it a mess again today?

I absolutely agree... women should be allowed through security first (i am a gentleman) then they can tidy up their hair while we allowed through... i think it might work...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I think everybody should try be a team player and arrive in as most a security sterile condition as possible and early…. 3 hours for me always. People should have…

• no high heels / steel toes.
    • cosmetics pre bagged in front pocket of case…so easily removed…
    • no drinks / other liquids
    • no layers… just take off your jackets and have coins or wallet bagged in case front pocket…
    • If possible trousers / jeans or skirt / dress with no belt needed..

you hold up nobody and you get through in double quick time..

fûck the fumbling twats who can’t even take off a belt without almost falling arse over cerebellum….have more coins then a vending machine in their pockets and end up trying to converse with their fellow queuing public then get ready to go through to be screened but ain’t ready… and think it’s all sooooo hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Liquid restrictions have been in 20 years now yet every time I go through security there's someone who has liquids in their bag or multiple clear bags or liquid containers over 100ml. It's always worse at times when people who don't travel a lot are going through and Christmas is peak time for those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

No I'm not saying that at all.

What I'm saying is where people are on single ticket, multiple leg journeys the airline are going to do all they can to get them their connection, including early disembarking, golf buggies, etc

And your example has nothing to do with the OPs situation.

• Advertisement

transiting through an airport is different to going through security at a departing airport.

If you were going to miss your flight OP, is there some reason you didn't approach some staff? I have travelled thousands of flights, if it happens that I'm going to miss a flight, through no fault if my own, I approach staff for assistance.

But there are not the same restrictions in every country.

If the people are not used to Dublin airport, then maybe they don't know.about the 20 years of liquid restrictions, which are ridiculous anyway.

I was comparing notes with another poster in the Amsterdam comment... you think Dub Airport fine ok... i cannot agree from my experience since Covid became a problem... before that pretty ok for me...

The guidance is to be there 3 hours before your flight, at a minimum. No matter what luggage you’re bringing. As another poster pointed out, one of the main causes of delays are travellers not preparing their documentation and liquids, laptops, coats, etc….

The guidence before the pandemic was 2 hours now its 3 hours... its 2 hours anywhere else without luggage and its easy... These are the facts... The cause of the delays is bad management... people travelling from other airports carry laptops as well and its not a problem... not enough staff training etc...

Last time i traveled was to Dublin from Europe, arrived at Airport 3 hours before flight... got covid test and result... had checked in bag... went through security and comfortabely made flight after buying a couple of medicine in the shop... that's the difference... 2nd week in December...

No, the DAA website states that you need only 2 hours for short haul flights, and that in itself is ridiculous.

And there are not many casual first time travellers in the middle of Covid, delays from customers of the airport is not the problem, it is the inadequate service provided by the DAA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,145 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

What the guidance is elsewhere is of no relevance. Anyone travelling through Dublin airport should heed Dublin airport guidance, it's there in black and white, not hidden. The OP took a chance, and I don't blame them - 3 hours before a UK flight is excessive - but there's no comeback when that chance doesn't work out.

Dublin airport passenger numbers at the moment are the highest since Christmas 2019, chaotic times are to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

For slowing an individual queue and building frustration, I'd agree a few bad apples can appear to have a big effect.

But DAA are dealing with tens of thousands of passengers on a daily basis. On average, it should be possible to predict waiting times within minutes and then staff accordingly. Staffing should be directly proportional to the passenger numbers for that shift, and their destinations.

Recently in the airport there was one x-ray operator who had a backlog of about 10 bags to be further checked, whereas others had none. Almost certainly someone being overly cautious or not understanding what they're looking for.

I'd give them some credit, but I've encountered far too many rude and nigh on aggressive security staff in Dublin.

A few years ago in my 20s I turned up to the FastTrack lane wearing tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie in preparation for three flights over the next 18 hours. The security guy shouted at me in front of the other well dressed passengers that it was business class only. He wasn't too happy when I pulled out the business class ticket and proved him wrong.

Every EU country, Australia, USA, UK, Russia, canada, south africq, Brazil, etc etc.

It's fairly standard. Many airports now offer free refilling stations though. Not hard to bring an empty bottle.

• Advertisement
Advertisement