Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,835 ✭✭✭Allinall

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭wangchung

Management team get bonuses for extra airlines they secure a contract with to use Dublin Airport

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Its a great opportunity for Ryanair to promote Cork, Shannon, Knock and Galway? i be surprised if they not thinking that way already.... it might actually work is say if 50% of Europe traffic taken away from Dublin...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• They’ve virtually buried Galway Airport. An aviation enthusiast, I have a bucket list of airports to fly into. Flew into Galway once, to tick the box. Great little airport it was, could handle STOL jets like the BAE 145, but runway too short for non-STOL aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Errr the only thing Ryanair have an interest in promoting is the health of their balance sheets.

they won’t achieve that by removing aircraft from the capital and major population center with lots of connections as well as a significant tourism and businesses center.

• I had been booked on a north German regional airline Dublin to Lübeck, it was going to be €180 for flights, 23kg luggage, meals, drinks, newspaper, etc; had been told it is a beautiful city with a very small airport, ideal for a lovely stress-free short break. Subsequently got an email to inform me I was being refunded because DAA couldn’t accommodate the flights.

Also Aurigny had to delay implementing its thrice weekly flight from Dublin to Guernsey, a destination I highly recommend for a very stress free holiday. Lots of seaside walks, cafes, very friendly place. I almost feel obliged to take yet another break there, with direct flights.

Half of the people in Ireland live the same distance from dublin airport an another airport... most people i know go on holidays where its easy to get there at a reasonable price for travel and accommodation... that's the Ryanair model... they fly to all kindof obscure places... The next trip i do from the time i arrive at airport to landing 4.5 hrs... if i was traveling from Dublin today it take 7 hrs... I expect if it not fixed there be big changes... everything in place for this year and cannot be changed...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,458 ✭✭✭kuang1

Anyone pass through terminal 2 in the last couple of days mid/late morning?

Flight at lunchtime tomorrow, just curious!

I expect blamin g the DAA an excuse... the flight times are not changed at all just the time geting from the car park to the airline seat...

You were rambling on a few days ago saying all OK... So you back ranting... I don't take you serious.

It's not on to accuse Ryanair of selling something they don't have and this comment should be immediately withdrawn.... The mods must be asleep... In fact MOL said that security was a skilled job something the DAA dont agree with as alot of experience staff gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Right, time for the ignore list I think- you've made the same point about 100 times at this stage.

This thread used to be a great resource for info about the airport, it's turned into a broken record now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Klonker

Thanks for responding but I was gone through the airport by the time I saw it! I might as well give my own experience in case it helps anyone.

Had a flight out of T2 this morning at 8:30AM so I arrived at 5:00AM as asked. No que outside the terminal. Went inside and it was pretty empty, no que for the Aer Lingus bag drop off. Went up stairs for security and thats when the queuing started. Took about an hour in all to get by security so was through about 6AM. Qued for about 30 minutes for a coffee then but wasn't really an issue as I'd lots of time to kill. It really seemed to die off then as when I went by the coffee place again there was no que. It seems to really be a big morning rush and a bit of a backlog due to this but dies off for anyone arriving at the airport from 6AM on.

Even though I had 50 mins to spare, while I was in the queue I could see it growing and growing behind. So without the early work of the KLM desk i felt it would have been a very close call.

I'm not sure about guarantees or what would have happened my checked in luggage.

• Advertisement

It's still news... Do you think people should be kept quiet like in Russia... I will keep talking until its fixed if I want...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

My experience this morning in Terminal 2.

Arrived at 4 am for a 6:50 flight. No bags to check-in so straight to security. It took 60 minutes to get to scanning the boarding pass, the queue was all the way back to the escalators. Got lucky though in the security screening, as they have just opened a new lane. The waiting times on the monitors and the website aren't accurate.

Desperate stuff overall, and I reckon people travelling this weekend on the morning rush will go through a lot of hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Arrived 4.10, through security in T1 in just under 50 minutes.

The place was jammers, but no queueing outside, and the queue never stopped moving.

There seemed to be far less faffing around at the actual security belts - maybe one good thing to come from this whole debacle will be people being better prepared when they get to the security lane!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If we do get one thing out of this, please be that.

Still to o many people going.. Oh i can't bring big liquids, oh I need to take out all the metal from my pockets... Can I leave my coat on? My belt is a bit fiddly.. Hang on..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbf that's their model in other countries. It's not like they're flying out of Heathrow and CDG, they fly to Stansted/Gatwick and Beavais. Using Cork or Shannon more actually fits what they do there.

• Advertisement

The metal thing will stay as it was there before 9/11... i expect the people who are selling the liquids at Airports will try to keep the liquids at the Airports want to keep things as they are so i not be hopeful on that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Speaking of liquids...I'm traveling with a group on Sunday morning ,flight at 6am. Are there vending machines or drinking fountains airside?

yes if you have money you will be allowed spend freely...

There are plenty of vending machines. Stacks of water with an honesty box beside it etc.

Where is the honesty in buying a bottle of water for about 10 cent and selling for €3... seriously is there a recommended price...

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭duffmann

Arrived at 7:45. Through security at 8:05. Lots of water. Bottles, fountains...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

Well, you don't have to be suckered into paying €3 for water if you use the cheap "honesty box" option for €1 (as far as I am aware).

If the retailer or whoever buys a bottle of water for 10c, then how do you pay for the storage, the labour which puts it on the shelf, the labour which operates the sales process, and the rental paid to the DAA. The net margin after all of this is much less than you seem to indicate.

Post edited by Economics101 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Went through security in T2 at about 7.45am. Took 20 minutes or so, by the time we were screened there was nobody behind us in the queue. By the sounds of it the morning rush had passed by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jonnyphant

Is the fast track still getting people through in half the time?

And is there a fast track lane in both terminals?

I'm concerned that the number of people paying for fast track will lead to a similar number of people in both queues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Settle down comparing people having to queue for between 30 and 60 minutes for security checks in an airport to a **** invasion

Post edited by Dodge on

• Advertisement

Sounds like you haven’t used the airport in years. How are you in a position to comment on its operations?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭SmithsFan

Email from Ryanair today recommending we arrive 3½ hours in advance of our 7.30am flight tomorrow, which I had intended to do anyway.

The same email states baggage check-in will open *2½* hours before the flight.

On the basis that there are no queues to actually get in to the terminal building, as it would seem in the past few days, are we then likely to be just hanging around for the guts of an hour to drop our bags off?

Not what I'd call joined up thinking and wouldn't ordinarily care only for we have a 2 young kids in tow.

Arrived at T2 this morning at 9.30.

No queue at bag drop.

Started security queue at 9.45, got through at 10.30.

Would have been much much quicker if we hadn't been v unlucky with the queue we were put in (after we had scanned our boarding passes) for screening/x-ray stuff.

If the lady tries to put you in the first queue on the right after your boarding pass has been scanned... Refuse! It's at least 3 times longer than the rest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Dublin Airport sells it for €1 (with most not even paying that form my experience)

What other vendors choose to charge is a matter for those outlets. Not sure this thread is the place for that discussion

The airport isn’t just at and for the people living in Ireland , inward tourism and business is a major driver of its success. My cousins flys in in the AM from New York, back same afternoon.

Cork and Shannon have major challenges as regards infrastructure, parking stands for aircraft, baggage sorting facilities, ground handling capabilities and so on.

anyone going east or north would end up paying more for a ticket as that aircraft is using more fuel… no disrespect to Shannon but it’s a desolate place, nothing there but old business parks , feck all amenities so I can’t imagine Aer Lingus or Ryanair selling it as a crew base.

there is feck all in the way of efficient public transport…. It’s a non runner, or non flyer…

im flying out of Dublin in a few weeks and not looking forward to it…

Yes. €1. Though, no doubt you’d begrudge that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

In most matters DAA treat their customers with complete contempt. However, the €1 water bottles was one respect in which they exceeded the service level found internationally and if that is still there then then this was not part of the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

At 0840 this morning the DAA App showed about 20 mins queuing time for both terminals. Generally it should be a little less busy by 0930, so your 45min queuing time would seem to indicate that you can't believe the App. Porkie pies or just incompetence?

• Advertisement

Like I said we were unlucky with the queue we were directed to. Had it been any of the other queues you could shave 15 minutes off my total time to make it 30 minutes.

And no €1 bottles of water to be seen anywhere btw. All gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

The €1 water is definitely one major positive of Dublin Airport. There are also water fountains for filling your own bottle. You can bring empty bottles through security.

There's a lot of airports in Europe where there are no water fountains and water is €3-4 everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

DAA rep on Morning Ireland this morning.

Mentioned blaming people for turning up too early and forgetting about the various security restrictions.. so causing extra delays.

He couldn't give a guarantee when asked as to how long in advance people should arrive at, to be sure of not missing flights. Apparently people miss flights every day for various reasons... the current issues didn't get the recognition that I thought they should,

It was not an impressive contribution from a spokesperson. No particular answers and lots of shoulds and hopes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Flying out of T2 at 7:30am on Friday and dreading it. Planning to get there for 5:30am (as per Aer Lingus’ current advice on their site) and going to drop bags off tomorrow evening…all for a 50 minute flight to bloody London!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

5 min queue at T2 at 1pm today.

“Apparently people miss flights every day for various reasons...” But have (m)any missed flights in recent times?

• Advertisement

I’m flying down to Kerry tomorrow at 8:55, there’s no car parking available. My office car park is at the airport but is only available at 7:30…. To risk it or not.

I guess the bus drivers from Quik Park are driving for Dublin bus or Go Ahead now do they can’t reopen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Car parks seem to be open for bookings again. Just booked the red for the weekend through RyanAir

so he criticised people for turning up early but couldn’t say what the appropriate time should be ?

candidate for the Darwin Award so.

imagine getting stopped by the Guards, getting a ticket for going over the speed limit and when you query what the limit is..” I don’t know “. Similar levels of ridiculousness.

if thee DAA cannot screen people in an efficient and timely fashion in order for them to make their flight the natural reaction is that people arrive earlier.

Great... how long were you waiting Airside for your flight... Rynair flights usually earlier... maybe they should switch a few to around noon ... where were you goin...

Ryanair fly from T1……. What would you prefer? Sitting for an hour “airside” or missing your flight?

But, seeing as you won’t fly from Dublin, it doesn’t really matter, does it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement