Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

if the figures i read here are correct 28500 hours for a security staff member,,, that be about 15 years for full time 39 hr week employee...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That was never a peak time though, after 7am it always eases off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's golf to be played, it's spring after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

I have a flight at mid day next Wednesday to mainland Europe from Dublin airport.

I know that the guidance is to be at the airport 2.5 hours before departure. Is this guidance for all flights or those departing early morning.

If I aim for 1.5 hours do you think it should be OK?

I won't be checking in any luggage....just a carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭JayPS 2288

I hear ads on the radio telling passengers to arrive 3.5 hours before a long haul route and 2.5 hours before short and medium haul.

How does that make sense since all flights go from the same part of the airport and everyone goes through the same security (unless they’re referring to people who have to go through T2 security then US pc as “long haul”).

• Advertisement

That's a very interesting point as i think all Air Lingus flights are T2... its likely the extra hour for bag check in...

Only you can decide if that risk is worth taking. You might be perfectly fine but you might not. Personally, I'd rather be early than stressing about whether I'll make a flight or not.

Aer Lingus are T2 as are Emirates and the US airlines. Air Canada is T1 as are Etihad and Qatar so there are long haul from both terminals. American flights have delays at immigration and T1 is busier overall. You're also more likely to be checking luggage for long haul flights.

It's harder to reschedule a long haul flight so all that combined is probably why the extra time is advised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Well for the US you need to clear immigration. For other flights they generally use larger planes. And check in takes longer and boarding usually happens earlier , Ryanair can turn a plane around in 5 minutes. Ethihad for example take much longer.

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

I got to the airport for a US flight and was through bag drop, security and immigration in 35 mins total. Few hours to spare in the airport! Wasnt first thing in the morning mind you.

• Advertisement

Passing through security at Dublin Airport I had paper money in my shirt pocket. The security person asked me to take it out and place it in the tray before I walked through the metal detector thingy. Why do I need to do this? It's only paper. If it was hiding metal, the detector would have spotted it.

Not nice to see the tray move along ahead of you and out of sight on the conveyor belt, while you are stuck at the back of the queue waiting to walk through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Never heard of money causing a problem before - but the tray disappearing is exactly the reason I have jewellery off and zipped in a pocket or bag long before the conveyor belt.

Plus, I have previous for leaving bits behind me in the tray in the confusion of collecting tray, waiting for bag to be extra searched (every single time), putting boots back on etc etc - so I have it all carefully stashed before I get near the station.

I think the stripe down around the center has metallic properties...

So has the zip on my fly but, some of my tooth fillings but not enough to set off the sensors. Would the metallic strip on some notes set off the sensors?

I would have thought that a visual inspection of the cash would have been sufficient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,044 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

They probably wanted to have the option to swab it for traces of cocaine/drugs

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Not fond of the tray moving on out of my sight either. I usually zip my wallet and phone into my coat pocket but I have to have my iPad out in the tray. It would be very easy for someone to just walk off with it. I usually try to tuck it in under something if I can. The last time I went through Dublin airport at Easter one of my two trays was pulled for secondary screening. I didn't see this as it happened out of sight and was wondering where my stuff was for 2 or 3 minutes when I got through the detector. The tray was very difficult to spot with the backlog of other trays and so many people gathered around the conveyor.

Post edited by Nigel Fairservice on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

my s22 ultra came out with a small crack on left edge of screen just after us customs xray screening, no idea how it happened...

luckily screen protector saved it, haunted..wudda been a bad start to trip

Anyway,, 1st security said 40 mins on screen, it took prob 1hr, us preclearance took another 40 minutes..not so bad. food options after us pre is shocking. A pre packed sandwich is 7 euro. the WHSmith has chocolate and crisps, only that one cafe/restaurant had food options at exorbitant prices even for an airport. Badly needs further options. Also noticed it wad quite dirty in seating areas. Expected better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

Apart from the metallic strip there is the requirement to check all pockets on the person.Carrying that money visibly in shirt pocket requires extra time to check it.A minute here,a minute there and what about mounting delay each time.Better to put it in a tray or as others say bag it and put on a tray.I bet the pocket millionaire put their wallet and change in a tray.

| by security Eindhoven Airport

I see at Eindhoven airport you no longer have to take your liquids out of your hand luggage, nor laptop, or phone etc. You can even bring through more than 100 mls of liquids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭blackvalley

You are totally correct regarding the state of the male toilets in arrivals after passing passport check in T1 . However I would not suggest moving them as they are a very important requirement for some passengers . Just clean the fkecin things up . A large number of visitors to Ireland , first timers and otherwise arrive via that terminal every day only to be assailed by the smell of pyss emanating from that disgusting excuse for a toilet . Its not too difficult or complicated . Just clean it up .

Or how about people take personal responsibility and don't make a mess. So much of the complaining about the toilets is because people litter them, or don't flush or whatever but it's people who don't give a damn that cause the mess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

You need to listen better.

Ads clearly state for you NOT to arrive more than 2.5 hours before a European/short haul flight.

So if your flight is at 12noon, do not arrive before 9.30.

After the normal 6am-7am rush, there have been no delays whatsoever in Dublin airport. I'm flying to Lisbon on Wednesday at 7pm, I will get to the airport at 5.30pm-5.45pm and I will still have plenty of time.

But you need to be careful about international airports. Schiphol had issues over the weekend with 3 hours delay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

My experience flying out from Dublin to Birmingham on early Friday morning (got to the airport at 4am (the 2 and a half hours early we were advised to by Ryanair in their email) wasn't too bad. We found the longest queue was scanning the boarding card, once we were through that, the X-ray scanner part only took a few minutes. Half an hour, give or take and we were done and waiting at the gate.

Contrast that with Birmingham today, unmitigated chaos. Never, in probably about fifteen years of using that airport have I seen it as bad. They were queuing almost outside the door just to get up to the departure floor (though you could avoid that queue by using the lift) Over 2 ½ hours to get through security, I counted at least six scanner lanes closed, and about the same amount of boarding card scanners roped off.

Gate had supposedly closed by the time we got there. Needn't have worried though because the flight was then delayed nearly an hour because Birmingham didn't have anyone to take an assistance passenger off what was going to be our plane.

Of course I felt sorry for the passengers (and felt sorry for myself!😃) but jebus working as understaffed as they looked to be must be a feckin tough gig.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭blackvalley

In the utopia you envisage where we all take full responsibility for our actions of course the requirement for a toilet attendant would be totally redundant . Meanwhile in the real world a quick rub of a mop and a spray of air freshener would make a more pleasant welcome for our visitors.

Have to agree. The far side of us preclearace is very poor. Needs a good clean & brightening up and a better dining option.

Security wise I had no problems.

We seem to have generally poor service standards across the board asnd this is a good example... its good enough for them as its free... Then we go to a fancy hotel and we have anything you want as its all about the money...

Maybe all budget airline passengers cant hold it and then see toi o let signage

• Advertisement

I always thought that the smell was from the toilet cleaner! Just goes to show what my sense of smell is like 🤣

Toilet cleaner smell is worse than the natural smell in toilets everywhere and way too much used.It's the cleaners who have lost any sense of smell or it's revenge cleaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Economics101

To-day's Irish Times has 2 readers' letters complaining about lack of cleaning, and very poor food options. Also a shambolic assistance facility of older, more vulnerable passengers. If management won't solve it, then the board of DAA should take some action. If the board won't do it, then the Department and/or Minister for Transport should do something.

But it's not part of the Green agenda, so I suppose nothing will be done.

I’ve a genuine question, how did you manage to turn it into a green agenda thing ?

We have a transport minister who is the leader of the Green party, and who seems to be pre-occupied with cycling and walking. One has a suspicion that Greens are somewhat hostile to aviation and would like us to cut down on "un-necessary" air travel. So anything within Eamon Ryan's responsibility is bound to be viewed from a Green perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I am flying out at around 6am tomorrow. Is this generally the worst time?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm flying at 7:50 on friday and wondering the same.

So i need to be at the airport earlier than my originally anticipated 5am?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

There’s been no complaints of security delays in a month. Go at your normal time IMO

Also lol @ the idea that toilets not being cleaned is part of a green agenda. Only one agenda at play in that post. Ha

You think a minister micro manages the toilet cleaning roster. 😂😂

what about reducing fares on public transport? Where does that fit in ?

Post edited by ted1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Maybe the minister could get one of his ten advisors to micro manage the roster 🥸

8 advisors ( not 10) isn’t to bad when you have a budget of 5.2bn

• Advertisement

I think the trouble is that no-one seems to be calling out the DAA management on the very bad experience people have had in Dublin Airport. Eventually the buck has to stop with the Minister if no-one else takes responsibility.

Fares on public transport is a separate matter entirely: stop diverting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The trouble is the DAA will take little or no responsibility for what goes on on THEIR PREMISES.

They are used to passing all unpopular gigs to the airlines.

The usual scenario,plenty of rules and notices, but no enforcement.

And it’s a waste of time getting on to Ministers…..I can vouch for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

There was a thread on Reddit yesterday that disputes the lack of complaints. It was like an hour long queue for people at least.

It’s not diverting , you made a silly comment about only being interested in cycling abs walking.

I guess you don’t like being pulled up on silly statements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭bennyineire

6am to 9am is the peak hours for outbound flights at Dublin, so yes basically

I stand by my comments on Eamon Ryan, like it or not. I find Greens and cyclists amazingly thin-skinned and unable to tolerate anything which questions their views. Over and out.

Isn’t it amazing how vulnerable road users feel ?

When the problems at their height at Dublin Airport he was very quiet as were the rest of them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I see the terminal one lounge has upped their fee by €5 to €25 to take advantage of the crowded terminal and €29 for walk ins. Wouldn’t be too bad but considering they don’t offer any hot food options (at least not in the morning) and with the 2 drink limit, it seems a little steep.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Also Fast Track with RA was 7.99 last time I purchased (a few weeks ago), looking now its 12.99. Not sure if DA take all that fee or if RA get a cut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement