Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭willowthewisp

Is fast track available again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Not yet on DAA's website, but I'm not sure if Ryanair still sell it during checkout on there website

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

No, but if you are travelling RA you can book it, but they've put the price up by €5 now to match DAA price, its been cheaper last while to buy with RA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

The DAA CEO is leaving in September, things should improve once he's gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It was 12.99 when I bought it with Ryanair in April

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,878 ✭✭✭Allinall

Price for Fastrack varies depending on the time.

Peak times are more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I added it to my booking for July last week for 7.99 each, must have just been lucky, as I'd consider July peak times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Went through security yesterday. Took about 25mins at 4am. Not the worst.

One thing I did notice and was highlighted in the thread was that the place was absolutely filthy. Looked like the toilet hadn't been cleaned for a few days, then end of the T1 was a mess, rubbish all over the place, sticky floors etc. People should be picking up after themselves but it shows the mess the cleaners when they were full staff had to deal with.

The cleaners were just getting to end of T1 by about 6am. It looks like it gets cleaned once a day.

That's nothing on the cleaners, they look very very stretched and understaffed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭pcasso

I came back into Dublin on Tuesday evening and had to wait an hour for our bags to be delivered to the carousel.

Flying with TAP so swissport were in charge of baggage handling I believe.

The better half refused to use the toilets there as she said they were an absolute mess.

It took an hour to fully get through security the previous week at 9am Monday morning.

We flew to Lisbon airport and it was a dream both arriving into and departing from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

I've never been in the lounge at Dublin Airport but have have been in loads all over the world.I have a rule that if I'm waiting around an airport for more than 3 hours I'll hit the lounge.Some of them are really top notch and even the lesser one are still lovely.

I don't agree with a 2 drink minimum, half of the time I'm going in there to get sloshed.im curious as to how they even enforce that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,281 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Three of us are flying to Rome June 9 at 07.40 with Ryanair, is fast track at 13€ each worth it?

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It used to be self service but now it's bar service

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

They don't enforce it from what I've seen. I've had 3 or 4 drinks in the lounge on occasion. As long as you're not being completely excessive or falling about the place drunk you'd probably be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

We flew out Friday afternoon (T1), no issues with security, there were no queues to speak of. It was quite busy after security though, long queues everywhere that served food/drinks. Came back last night and the place was a mess, I felt bad for tourists arriving to this. Water coming through the ceiling at passport check, bags everywhere in the luggage hall. Our bags came quite fast though so no issues there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For a country that relies such a lot on international tourism, Dublin Airport must be a complete turn off for visitors, and must give a terrible impression of us as a country. However domestic travellers probably make up the majority of traffic and they deserve a decent airport also. It's not as if DAA is bankrupt. I'm disgusted at how hit and miss that airport is. Sometimes you can get through fine, other times you'd be having a sweat filled panic attack when you see the Q for security. I dunno....

I always thought food and drink concessions were big earners in an airport, you know captive audience and all that, but seems that it is also shambolic now too. As for cleanliness, I agree it is not up to standard at all. We deserve better.

I just can't understand the lack of customer care, I just can't. Maybe we don't complain enough, but it's hard to do on the spot when you're racing to catch a flight because you barely made it through security despite being there hours ahead. I suppose an email to CEO of DAA will go in the bin, the Minister will just take another toke of whatever he is smoking today and fall asleep. Maybe the Tourism Minister might help, but no one seems to give a shiny sh!t at all. I often wonder if the fact that both ministers are Greens is a factor, you know.... we should all cycle to the Costas etc.

Anyway, I'm not flying anywhere for a while, at least until the Summer rush is over, so best of luck to all those arriving and leaving, enjoy your holliers.

If a person complains about service in this country they are regarded as a whinger... Customer service is an add-on we pay for in Ireland... i rfemember joke going round a few years about Ryanair about paying to use toilet on flight... that's kinda what's happening at the moment at Dublin Airport...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I quite liked Dublin airport as an airport pre-pandemic... apart from the ludicrous taxi and gate issues, as well as the general passport checking of UK arrivals, the terrible bus area, the lack of the rail link, but since the pandemic it seems to have fallen apart completely. What with Quickpark closed, incredible pricing at the other carparks, security queues, filth everywhere, queues and extremely poor food options, ground handling delays, absurd baggage delivery times, a dreadful lounge with no hot food, and everything else. It seems as if it has the problems of all mid-sized airports at the moment, but has compounded them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭HBC08

You've built Dublin airport up in your own head to be a war zone.Dublin airport was never a great spot.Recent events that have effected most busy airports in europe have highlighted that a bit.2 friends of mine with their young kids have flown out of there in the last few days,no major issues.What recent experience have you of using the airport? By your own admission none in at least 6 months yet you're the most prolific poster on this thread,have a think about that for a while.

anyone been through T2 recently early afternoon (12pm to 3pm) on a week-day?

if so, how was it through security?

• Advertisement

What is it to you what i say or do... did you read the post i replied to... I have said little on it lately only the boss decided to leave i read here...

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jonnyphant

Will a bus arriving at 540am be enough time to make a 720am flight this Sunday morning?

What have security times been like at 530-6am lately?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Gives a rough idea of wait times

https://dublinairportwait.ie/

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Arrived at fast track this morning at 8.10. It took 25 minutes. The board at the regular queue was saying the wait time was 35 minutes for security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Inbound to DUB last night, coming from BHX. All was calm when I passed through. No delays at passport control. Flying DUB to BHX next weekend, hoping for the same again.

I take around 30 flights a year, DUB isn't anywhere near as bad as people want to think. Very much a mid table airport for it's size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,522 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Yes, last week around 2:15. Fast-track closed at 2 (cause of course it did), took about 40 mins to get through. Aside from having only 3 lanes open, one of the big issues is people’s absolute refusal to put empty trays back, meaning that people queueing can’t get ready for the scanners in time. When I got through there were 5 empty trays on the belt as everyone just walked off and left them there, meaning trays couldn’t get through the scanner either.

People are just selfish kunts I s’pose.

I also travel abit and think maybe there should be signs like "thank you for stacking your tray" i thnk when people are traveling they are excited and the thing prople do automatically in a shop never enters their head... its not a Dublin thing...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

Went through security about 10am this morning, took 25 mins or so. Not too bad but the airport is **** filthy dirty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Pat would clear the shelves if that limit wasn’t there….nothing surer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭deisemum

€12 for a glass of wine in a dirty glass at the airport bar is expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

Went thru T2 yesterday (Saturday) around 12 noon. Check-in & bag drop for Emirates were very quick, security "snake" was about 7-8 folds deep, but kept moving and was done in around 40 minutes. Once airside T2 was fine, but Emirates was at gate 306, which is T1. And T1 looked a lot busier, and once at the gate, it was super crowded and filthy. Toilets were filthy and stench was flowing outside into the waiting area. It didn't help that two large long haul flights were loading up next to each other at the same time.

Dubai airport seems to meat and clean as always. What the hell happened to Dublin?!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Dubai airport have as many low paid Indian staff as they want. Average pay is €100 per week.

There are a few people on here who seem to think all is ok... Oddly enough our Government seem to be happy as no comment in recent weeks despite this being our biggest link to the world...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Went through T1 today around 5 took about an hour 35 to get through, queue zig zagged all the way back to check in desk 9

I agree. The airport is first impressions and last impressions of a country. At the moment this means rude people, delays, poor service, inefficient, expensive, crowded, dirty…..

Big time, I went through LAX once, it was my first and last time, I will never use it again. If I was offered free flights I wouldn’t use it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I've got a flight leaving in the morning to Canada, departing 10:15.

Any suggestion on what time to get there? I'd really prefer to get breakfast at the hotel before going down as airplane food is muck but that would mean not reaching the airport til about 7:45, 2hr 30min before my flight.

Thoughts?

That is after the morning rush in T1 and no pre immigration for Canada. I would think ok but would not leave much after that.

Thanks.

We do have luggage but will be checked in online. Daft question but does that mean we just use a bag drop and go to security?

Feel like a tube asking but it's been so damn long since we flew anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

Never mind..just copped it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

The wait time website must not be very accurate so, 5am today they have 33 minutes.

We're flying next Sunday at 5:40am. Trying to decide what time we need to be at the airport.

• Advertisement

Where is the flight too? Have you bags to check in or can you bag drop? I would ‘think’ there are less flights out early Sunday than a Monday (Monday is usually busy with commuter flights).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Ryanair let you book fast track. 15mins through T1 security yesterday (Sunday) morning at 6 25am in that queue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

Flying TUI to Barcelona with bags & kids. Not sure how TUI are set up, I'll probably give them a call closer to the time & ask.

I thought Sunday morning would be quiet too but another poster said they took 1:35 yesterday.

most passengers check in bags for transatlantic so would expect that Air Canada will be open 3 hours before. But perhaps check with them. You will have a queue for check in/bag drop and then need to queue for security. As normal.

Just boarding now. Skipped breakfast, and just as well.

Despite being checked in online and boarding passes ready, we were told there was no bag drop and we had to go through the check in desks. That took about 1:15.

Security queue said 40 minutes, and in fairness that was bang on but because of the time spent checking in (again) we ended up with only 20 minutes to spare, enough to grab a sh*t and a sandwich and go to the gate.

So if we'd stayed for breakfast at the hotel we'd have been up the creek.

• Advertisement
Advertisement