Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

@Op, a lot of security staff are out sick with covid and self isolating, my mate works for Aer Lingus, he said its crazy in the airport the last few days.

As another poster said I agree, go through T2 security for T1 departures, staff in T1 mainly affected with staff shortages.

I wouldnt be flying anywhere at the moment with this latest variant Omnicron is fcuking rampant in the community atm and even worse in Europe.

Im just coming out of 10 days of self isolation myself, horrible dose, wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy.

'A few years ago in my 20s I turned up to the FastTrack lane wearing tracksuit bottoms and a hoodie in preparation for three flights over the next 18 hours. The security guy shouted at me in front of the other well dressed passengers that it was business class only. He wasn't too happy when I pulled out the business class ticket and proved him wrong.'

Absolute rubbish. This didn't happen. Fast track is not for business class only. Never has been.

Not every country though, not even every country in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I suppose we are not really in Europe when it comes to Air Travel.... it takea longer to get on the flight to other side of Europe...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

Since we're into semantics, please point out where *I said* it was reserved for business only? His words, not mine.

I'm well aware that anyone can buy a pass for under a tenner, and I've been sent to that queue in T1 during busy periods in the past.

Anyway, you know full well that short of a video recording (which I don't have, and wouldn't be allowed to take anyway), you can call me a liar and I have no way to prove otherwise. Doesn't exactly make for a reasonable discussion where people can post their experiences, does it?

I travel a decent amount. 95% of my dealings with DAA security are fine, but I've seen enough impoliteness and shouting at passengers to know that some of them need more customer service training.

Ryanair kindly email customers with the 3 hour timeframe. I’m not sure about other airlines. In the current climate, if one has to travel, then it’s up to the customers to accept all advice given, not just opt for the one suggesting the shortest time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

For years I have been arriving at the airport 1hr before checkin and just walk up to a member of staff, tell them my bus was delayed or some other excuse and they just bring me through security with no other questions. They will help you if you show them your boarding pass and the time is approaching.

You seem not to get it... Ryanair do not run the Airport it is the inefficient DAA... Ryanair are passing on the message... Their responsibility begins at boarding... If people keep making a fuss it will be fixed...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Chaos is to be expected. This is the low level of expectation that we put up with. In an airport, people actually book in advance and tell you what flight they are going on. That being the case it is absolutely reasonable to expect that having scheduled those flights that the airport has made proper provision for security for those wishing to fly on them. Security is not aided by queues and such crowding is a danger to public health in these times.

I do get it. So do Ryanair, which is why they are advising passengers arrive 3 hours before their flight. They are only too well aware that the ongoing Covid situation is leading to staff shortages in every industry, not just DAA, leading to delays. Some just like to blame anyone other than themselves for sh1te happening. They should remember that every time they point a finger at anyone, they should turn their hand over and look at the 3 fingers pointing back at themselves.

• Ryanair sent me that email for my recent trip to Tenerife, but I always factor in that time anyway. I went for Fast Track, which was worth it in Dublin. Factoring in several hours is fine when going a bit of distance, but if you were checking in for a domestic flight it makes a nonsense. Dublin Airport just isn’t set up for the two domestic services it operates to Kerry & Donegal. Having to go through long queue at passport control is a nonsense. Should be a mini domestic terminal section with basic security, a coffee stand etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It's a long time since I flew Dublin- Donegal, but this used to be the case, is it not any more?

(To clarify, I'm talking about taking the flight, not arrivals)

• Last time I returned from Donegal, some years back, I had to go through quite a long queue at passport along with arrivals from USA etc. I had an alternative form of ID which can be used domestically and they hummed and hawed about letting me past without passport, then after consulting with a security colleague they said they indeed had to let me through as passport definitely not required for travel within Ireland. But the set-up was ad hoc, they took my word I had arrived off a domestic flight and didn’t ask to see any proving documentation. So they definitely weren’t set-up to segregate domestic and foreign arrivals.

Ah....as this thread originated with delays in getting into the airport and onto flights, I thought that's what you meant!

Yes, arrivals is a mess, has been for years.

• Advertisement

• Btw I found (in non Covid times) DAA do respond to Twitter. I was in a very long queue some years back with absolute chaos at security, people were missing flights. Whilst in the queue I sent a tweet thread and got a quick response of apology, with more staff coming on board in jig time. Queue suddenly speeded up.

I always advocate tweeting an organisation if there are problems, it’s really the best way of resolving a real-time situation, as big organisations have people employed to monitor the feed.

Even more so now, as you have to show EU Covid passport, negative antigen/PCR and Passenger Locator Forms as well as Passport! Not everyone has them saved in the one place, like Ryanair or Aer Lingus App.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

We passed through T1 in the early hours of Monday morning (27th) and to me the check in queues were the problem not so much security - there were not enough check in desks open for the volume of people coming through the airport. We had a connecting flight in Amsterdam and our flight departed out of Dublin an hour late to allow passengers caught up in the either the check in queue or security queue to make the flight. KLM held our departing flight in AMS just for us which was very decent of them. The issue seems to be most airlines have you go to the check-in desk now to get a boarding card.

• Looking on Twitter just now there’s been chaos in the car parks and @DublinAirport not responding publicly to Tweet, but may have DMd. Others complaining about security queues without including @DublinAirport. Still others (business operators) complaining about airport having too few travellers.

One thing annoys me about going out very early through Dublin is the fact that the cafes etc only open at 4am.People queueing up and hanging around in the main “avenue” airside, waiting for shutters to all go up together at 4am. If you are out in first flight you want your morning coffee early & relaxed.

Sure the worse they make it for people the more they get from selling things like fast track.

Why wouldnt they make it a disaster for the people not paying the extra. Might squeeze more money out of them for providing the service they are supposed to provide in the first place.

• Advertisement

There's far more money to be made from getting people through security in jig time and then having to hang around the shopping/dining areas for longer.

Maybe someone should tell them that they are doing it wrong then :)

• I find KLM to be excellent, in my several experiences of them. My flight from Lima to Amsterdam was delayed in departure by one hour, meant I missed my connection to Dublin next day. They did rush through elderly people to get to onwards flights etc, but myself and a few more robust younger souls were asked to stay overnight in a hotel at Schipol. We had a ball, wined and dined, lovely hotel room with view of planes taking off… of course to me that is heaven!

I'm quite sure they're well aware they're doing it wrong, and I'm also fairly sure it's covid related (as in staff absences). In all my times flying from Dublin Airport I've cut it fine plenty, and never even came close to missing a flight.

What's in it for them to cause mayhem? There isn't a conspiracy-theory reason for everything.

• I have been through several security queues in recent times. (Yeah, my recent carbon footprint is a disgrace but that’s another argument! My excuse is I was reclaiming trips postponed from summer).

Chania, where they kept calling at people to hurry up and come closer, as everyone was trying to social distance. The queue moved very fast, though.

Bodrum, a thoroughly modern airport, queue proceeded quickly.

Bucharest, very efficient security.

Tenerife Sur, no point in fast track at all. Got through quite quickly.

Dublin, queues. But in my case not as bad as I’ve seen it in the past, and fast track worked.

So this is the only Country in the world where Air travel has added 1 hour to security check in... facts... DAA inefficiencies belong to DAA... art you saying the passengers are at fault for delays...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I’m in the US at the moment, got here on the 22nd. We arrived three hours before the flight but really should have given it four hours. I was in the US pre-clearance queue for over an hour and was still in there when the flight started boarding. Several people were taken out of the queue and fast tracked because their flight had been delayed. When we got on the plane it was confirmed that CBP had a staff shortage due to Covid.

• The worst airport I have ever been in regarding queues in immigration/transit is Newark Liberty. Had to go through 8 departments/queues coming from Guayaquil via Panama to Newark transiting to Dublin. Dreadful airport, one of those 8 queues lasted an hour. Most stressful transit I ever made and that was with things going normally/smoothly. I hate when I’m routed through US when going to South America etc. There is an exception, San Francisco is a good airport in my experience. Maybe there are others too.

Most awful in my experience was Addis Ababa - you had to queue to get in the front door, for literally hours on one occasion. I lost count of the queues inside, and you had to make it to your gate (or as near as possible) ASAP as there was no way of gauging how long the whole thing would take. And then when you were at/near your gate, there was NOTHING available.

Torture!

Dublin Airport is a complete pudding in comparison. (Literally) first world problems.

I’m saying that Ryanair contacted customers advising them to add an extra hour to their checkin time. Not DAA or Ireland. Ryanair. Sensible people heeded that advice. One didn’t and missed their flight. Travelling at peak times always led to delays. Staff absences due to Covid have added to the problems this Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭thegetawaycar

I flew Monday 27th from Dublin airport. Place was packed at security, only 4 open. I asked why there was so few open and was told "lots out sick, Covid". It didn't take 2 hours but did take 40/50 mins or so to get through. Looks like they are having same staffing issues we see everywhere.

• I’m saying this in several threads, and maybe I’m talking out of my @rse but I have a strong inkling that Covid+Society are going to learn to live together amicably within the year. Anybody I know with it isn’t actually really sick, they are eating their full dinners etc, just isolating out of convention/requirement. The convention will become “carry on as normal” same as with a mild type of cold. It all depends on mutations of course, but it’s found a nice equilibrium they way it wants to. Dublin airport staff as with everywhere else will be full of Covid and so will you and I and we’ll mostly be getting in with our lives. I’m quite optimistic in a way I haven’t been heretofore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

Giving 30 mins between boarding and take off, you were there an hour and 40 mins before boarding, cutting it a bit fine imv im afraid, especially at Dublin.... Shannon or knock would probably have made it

Also flew on Monday. Got there at half 6 and got through security at 8. Had to sprint for the flight and just about made it. Lots of people missed the London one at 8.

I know what your saying... you just do not understand how things are supposed to work in 2022... there are loads of security staff doing nothing at Shannon.... Ryanair are just protecting themselves... they are not incompetent MOL not accept...

BTW hundreds of people missed flights a few Months ago and DAA apologies for and paid for new flights i think... Live and learn...

Post edited by maestroamado on

I don't know how other airlines are doing doc checks. Flying from Dublin-Chicago in August and November. Loads of people standing in the Verifly line with no Verifly. Massive amounts of luggage. I fly with the bare minimum and I deal with anxiety so I know I have to be on the ball otherwise I'd have a meltdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

Yes, multiple people tried and were fobbed off by security. No communication about delays apart from a screen saying 45-55 mins through security (really was 1.5 to 2 hours). Typical attitude from staff at Dublin airport.

Not at security. Covid-related documents are checked at the boarding gate by airline staff.

The issue was with how Dublin airport handled the situation, not with people fumbling around with belts. Most people were ready to go once they got to security (e.g belts off etc.)

Post edited by parc on

You obviously have a bee in your bonnet about DAA. Having travelled through Dublin Airport last week, I witnessed the crowds. They were managed pretty well, with time through Security clearly to be seen on screens. Two couples were caught out and on asking staff, showing their flight details, were shown through with the consent of others in the queue.

How many people missed flights because of DAA in the last week/10 days?

How many people missed flights by not turning up with time allowed for increased travellers and reduced staff due to Covid?

I travel regularly Christmas week and can honestly say that this year was no different to others.

• Advertisement

"I got through fine last week, therefore what's the problem?"

Here's my experience this week.

On the Dublin Airport website the it said 55 minutes through security. On screen it said 50 minutes through security. Naturally, you'd expect 2 hours 10 minutes to be enough to make it through security. It literally took hours.

Lots of people asked to be fast tracked through. Not one was allowed.

It was a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Don't travel through Birmingham then. It was hell the two times I had to travel there in September and October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

"I got through fine last week, therefore what's the problem?"

I assume that you’re not applying the above to me, so why include it when quoting my post?

As I’ve already said, Ryanair contacted customers to advise allowing 3 hours from your arrival at the airport to your departure. Again, I ask; How many passengers actually missed flights over the Christmas period?

So it may be the fault of Ryanair fault...

From DAA web page now...

Dublin Airport would advise passengers to arrive at check-in at least 2 hours prior to the boarding time for European flights and 3 hours for long-haul flights and to factor in a further 30 minutes if parking a car.

You keep mentioning Ryanair. I guess it's the only airline that flies out of Dublin Airport.

• Advertisement

It’s the only one that flies to where I need go. It’s possible that other airlines email their customers with similar advice.

AFAIK its the same security for all at term 1 but i may be wrong... any time i used term 2 it was always to EU...

No. The issue seems to be staff shortages due to Covid. Same as in every industry, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
Advertisement