Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

Comments

Boucher Hayes is a veteran flyer himself. He’s been to 50+ countries, which is surely way more than average. Also 4% is way too low. In any case most of the carbon produced by flyers is from the top 10% or so, who fly multiple times per year.

That would monumental, monumental, monumental mis management

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Did someone say there was some kind of inflation problem in this country??

Duddnt seem like it to this poster…………..uhmmmm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭raxy

The que outside is to try maintain some control on ques inside. Even at 3am they were holding people back in the security ques. Letting people through in stages.

Even staff didn't know what was going on. We were told to join the wrong que when dropping bags. Some staff had no compassion/common sense. I was carying my 4yr old who was sick & asleep. I was shouted at yhat I had to scan her boarding card & told yo go back. My wife was behind me & scanned it because I was carrying her.

She pulled us out of the que & took our boarding cards to make sure we scanned them all. Very rude about it. Apologised after but was out of line.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

Very difficult to see the sign for fast track with the throngs around it.

I had to ask. Could see people before me in outside queue, after me in fast track queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭MakersMark

You should be fine I Tursday.

We ew from T1 last Tuesday. 11.25 flight.

Got to airport at 0840. Bags dropped at 0850.

Thru security at 0920.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,084 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

The DAA get off there a&% and hire people for proper wages. It is not the armies job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

They will have to but in the interim the army should be used to fill the gap till the new staff are trained.

The wages are an issue yes

But also Garda vetting has to be done if you work in an airport

This has to be done with all the new staff which is a big delay

Staff that left during the pandemic wouldn't need it as it was already done and the issue is 100's of them understandably not coming back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Maybe I am misunderstanding how this works - but I have definitely walked from T2 to T1 airside recently. Are you saying it is impossible to get from arrivals to departures airside - because if it possible to get to departures airside it is possible to switch terminals airside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Theres a few isssue re cork and shannon.

1is if you need to use public transport to get to shannon or cork its crap and often doesnt serve early morning departures. There are hourly buses ftom cork, limerick and galway to dublin airport. I personally know of people pre covid who have gotten the greenbus as its known to dublin airport to fly to london heathrow from limerick.so public transport to both badly needs improvement

Both airports dont have a great choice outside of uk and canary islands. Cork the better of the 2 they have services paris and Amsterdam

Also airlines often dont announced summer routes till feb/mar when most would be booking/plan in jan.

Both airports need more routes.shannon should be doing better now theres the limerick/galway motorway and M7.

For anyone travelling esp with young kids or eldery both airports are a dream to use. Id advise anyone to use either where possible.with the new scanners for security in shannon no longer have to take liquids out of ypur baggage.Both airports should have flights to major european hubs. Would take pressure of dublin for sure and airlines encouraged to extend their seasonal offerings. Given the runway advantage of shannon over the other regionals shannon should really but pushing for a route east too given the amount irish in dubai, oz and the growing population from India in the midwest

Post edited by lisasimpson on

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭hole in my lovelywall

You can walk from T2 to T1 but you still have to join the queue, and the queue starts outside the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

But you can walk from T1 to T2 Airside (ie on the far side of security). I did it in March. (As in, I went through security in T2 and boarded a Ryanair flight that left from T1). The question is whether you can get from Airside arrivals to departures.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Fair enough @lisasimpson

I flew last week to Malaga from Cork (Aer Lingus) and the flight was busy - the joy flying from Cork over Dublin was so nice - and I came from Clare so cork was only a 20 or so minute trip shorter - less tolls and just overall airport stress was key

Parked Literally a 5 min walk from terminal with the cheapest parking option too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Exactly cork and shannon are so stress free compared to dublin even befoe this mayhem. Im only 40 mins from shannon myself would love to be able to use it more hopefully the airports outside of dublin can gain from this mess

And that is the DAA fault again not the army to fix

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

They need to stop people arriving too early and only allow access to the airport itself if your flight is within 3 hours.

Dublin, Manchester, Stansted and Birmingham all having issues this weekend. Birmingham worst of all.

People with flights at 11am arriving at 5am and 6am causing the problems.

This leads to panic and even more people arriving too early. Causing more delays and more panic and then more people arrive too early.

So refusal of entry to the airport if your departure is more than three hours away.

Yes & no. I've 2 kids I'm taking away & my flight is not scheduled for 18:45. They told us to arrive 3 hours ahead of the flight. You can't only arrive just in time, I'll have to feed the kids along the way too. It's not the fault of people arriving early, its the airport for not having the staff & they are putting the blame on passengers.

They are not making any effort in getting the ques moving. I know they failed security checks but there is an excessive amount of checks on bags going through security, I flew to England recently & went through security again yesterday. Both times my bags were pulled for screening. They need (obviously) staff but also to invest in facilities/equipment to deal with the number of people.

Its not possible as an arriving passenger anymore

You used have a dedicated connecting lane signposted back into the departure area

Thats gone since covid and hasn't come back

Now you have to go out and come back

DUB must be the only airport in the EU with this stupid set up

• Advertisement

Garda vetting is not a DAA issue and it's extremely slow

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Secondary screening seems to have gone mad. My last 3 times in the airport my bags have been taken for secondary screening twice. The one time my bag wasn't taken they swabbed me instead. The secondary screening leads to loads of people congregating at the end of the conveyor belt. When your tray doesn't appear at the end of the conveyor you're trying to work out whether it has been taken for screening or whether someone has walked off with it.

My last time at the airport there were airport police hanging around the corridors after security grabbing people for security swabs. I've never seen them do that before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,411 ✭✭✭✭woodchuck

Does anyone know if you're stuck queuing outside the airport for ages, are you allowed to go inside to use the toilet? There'll be two of us (so one to hold our place in line), but I'm just hoping I won't have to worry about access to facilities on top of everything else...

We were swabbed for that when we tried to ask for directions to the baggage claim. Nit a big deal but its over the top.

When my tray was taken to be re scanned I assumed it would be brought back to me after. Nope they just move on and you're forgotten about. I was standing there waiting & was just ignored.

Atleast the last time I went through they seemed competent , this time they were like headless chickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

No dear, don't worry your pretty little head about it.

And BTW, at this point pretty much everyone is concerned about the environment, author thing you are out of touch with.

And do you think that the army have been training on the off chance that they might need to take over civilian airport security......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

To do that they would need active queue management prioritizing people with sooner flights. I was there today and they barely had staff to manage a straight queue. It was mayhem and the only reason I ended up getting my flight is because a crowd broke the cordon at the door to force their way into the building

The security queue was 1 hour and they were trying to send people away whose flights were over 2 hours later.

Regarding getting from T2 to T1 once past security, it is possible and I did it a couple if weeks ago. It's about a 15 minute walk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,373 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Flying Thursday morning at 735....gonna aim to be there for 330....but I don't think security even opens til 4 in terminal 2

€395 for 2 people

Private check in and you're chaufer driven to the plane

Lots of food,booze including champagne

Queues are for plebs 😂😂

https://www.dublinairport.com/enhance-your-journey/platinum-services/dublin-platinum-services

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

the point is that the taxpayer is paying for politicians in this place, so nothing is done for the taxpayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'm going to Slovakia next year to see family. If I get in the queue this week will I have enough time to get through security? 😁

• Advertisement

Classic Irish carry on.

A small island centred around one area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

So Philip Boucher Hayes and some Green TD’s actually think the shambles at Dublin Airport is acceptable and are rolling out the climate crisis excuse? Seriously?

The incompetence in this country beggars belief. Last summer nearly all of Europe reopened to EU wide travel, they started hiring and building back up capacity, Ireland waited until the summer was nearly over before opening international travel and then discouraged it. Two years later they want to rehire staff on terrible contracts in a city with an accommodation and cost of living crisis. The solution is simple - pay proper wages, give proper contracts and get the airport running smoothly.

The way some people are acting re climate - all the good will towards changing towards sustainable living will be decimated in another few months. Look at Arnold Schwarzenegger in California - make green enticing, show its benefits & encourage paths for businesses to change. Criticism of people trying to travel after two years of Covid is an absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

No. People buying it are literally giving the money to Ryanair for nothing at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭rogber

I flew from Terminal 2 on Friday, European AL flight at 6pm, I was there just after 4pm, had done online check in, was through security at 4.40pm. So 35 minutes on a Friday evening as we approach peak season strikes me as pretty average, no stress at all. I can only asume Terminal 1 is worse with the Ryanair flights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

While Friday evening is one of the busier times, it's nothing like the weekend.

The weekends are the problem here, not Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,021 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Just throwing this out, and I know it may cause a few sighs and raised eyebrows, but.....

There are an awful lot of flights bunched up in the early morning up until about noon or so. I understand that it is cheaper for airlines to use the early slots. I also understand the need for early flights for business travellers. However..... would it be a daft idea to move flights to later in the day to ahem, non business destinations like the Canaries, Spain and the holly bolly places. OK very few are going to Torremolinos (Malaga) and Puerto del Carmen (Lanzagrotty) and sun destinations for business purposes, so later in the day should not be an issue.

If it costs the airlines more to use later slots, well then subvent them even for a while to give time to recruit, train, and security clear more staff. Surely that would be as economical as the present situation. But I am sure there is some aviation or airport rule that prevents moving slots around.

So in the meantime I will travel after the Summer Break late September to a destination that has a departure after 3pm and hope for the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

That is not peak time. All the transatlantic flights are long gone meaning the vast majority of other flights in T2 are Aer Lingus only and they're not even back to a full schedule yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

I often joked in the past that we should all just go starkers no belts/ bags/ liquids and at that time shoes to remove, just boarding pass, passport and your birthday suit. No need for security checks at all and I’d bet they’d speed through. They can give out a nice disposable onesie on the other side of the security cheeks. Flying by the seat of your pants airlines.

I’d say that’s pushing it, to be honest. You’d better leave now. Bring a few sandwiches with you to save queuing for grub.

• I remember the day when most flights to sun destinations were late evening charters, the early morning flights were almost entirely business travellers. Nowadays flight movements are dictated by availability of air traffic space in increasingly crowded skies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Absolutely, as a keystone in the instrument of the defence of the nation and abroad they have to be. In South Lebanon they are trained when manning checkpoints in some areas. It forms part of military training. I would rather they didnt do it but listen mate lets be pragmatic here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Indestructable

When will Dublin get those scanners that mean you don't need to remove liquids and electronics. Dump the 100ml rule too and things would speed up dramatically.

On another note I think the transport Ministry needs a Minister all of its own. Eamonn Ryan has too much on and is no good at half it.

Had perfectly good staff let off only had to pay them right and it was not rocket science this year would be extremely busy so yes they are to blame. They want the army they ask and pay for them. DAA very bad with excuses on the news as if it was out of the blue this would happen. Hope all those who have extra expenses go after them

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

About to leave to drop an AirBnBer to the airport now for a flight tomorrow morning that he cannot miss if he is to make his connection home to Canada.

Fully aware the delays may not be so bad after all today's publicity, but he can't take the chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

Have a flight next Sunday around 6pm and will have my 16 month old son with me. We have bags to check in.

Would anyone know roughly what time I should be in the airport at to make the flight?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭bluefivetwo23

The worst part of this is not knowing what to expect at the airport. Will I arrive too early and be waiting for my bag drop to open or will I still be stuck in a line outside.

I was just thinking earlier they should have liveview webcam so you can see what's going on there. Camera outside, a couple on bag drops & security ques.

The DAA took down the wait time website which shown security times over a few days so you could see the busiest times. All they show in a current estimate & it was way off. When we were joining it said 10 minutes but took us over 45 minutes. I don't think security was even open at first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Back from dropping him at the airport. He is off to McDonalds and maybe the prayer room for a few hours.

He was seeing so many conflicting reports online, but preferred to be there early and bored than later and sweating about making it through. The story about the couple trying to fly to Naples who arrived plenty early and still didn't make their flioght affected him badly I think.

Not many out at the airport.

Really you think they have hundreds of soldiers/sailers/airmen trained in the use of the scanning used at the airport and that they use them at check points in the Leb…. You are far from pragmatic!

it takes weeks to learn how to interpret the images these machines generate, to the point where it is safe to trust people to go live. If it was easy it would not be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭squigglestrebor

2 hours not enough at the best of times? What a blatant lie you have just told.

Advertisement