Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Wouldn’t bother with? Fast track, or trying to travel at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

In T2 I'd say yes but it's a few weeks since I've gone through around that time and that was on a Sunday, Fridays usually busier TA. Lots of very large planes leave T2 from mid morning

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

I've an 0615 flight out of T1 on Saturday morning, is it worth adding the Fast Track?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I would anytime between 6-9 i'd have fast track anytime after I wouldn't bother.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Fast Track only expedites the first security check - it has no bearing on US queue for Border Control .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 formfakd

Unfortunately I have. First, in Frankfurt I lost the connection to BG. Then we were in the hotel overnight. Next day we flew to Munich, to get to BG, but lost the flight to BG,again. We reached the destination after 26hours. Our bags arrived with us.

In the way back, our bags were late and they are missing for days now. Sorry noting great to say. But if you have an option of choosing longer times for transfers, I think that would be helpful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭beachhead

What's the make up of queues got to do with anything.A dig at families and senior citizens maybe.I don't think either group gets treated any different by airport staff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭fran38

Flying with Emirates from T2 in late September. Catching a late flight (22.00). What's the airport like at that hour? Any idea if my luggage is under threat of not making the flight?

Not a dig, just groups that generally take longer to get through security. Learned experience from over 500 flights taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

Anyway... I added the fast track to my trip outward through Dublin, seems early flights are still a gamble.

At least I won't need on the second leg out of Bologna, I've plenty of time and it's not anywhere near as crazy in there.

Ciao!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

There'll be absolutely no one in the place at 10 O'Clock at night and I'm sure they still load luggage at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,124 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Appears that fast track security is open again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

Flew out Monday 8th August.

Flight was Ryanair at 6.25

Arrived at shot term 1c carpark at 4.20.

Walked straight into T1 at 4.30.

No Queues outside.

Assisted an elderly person to bag check and drop at Ryanair. No checked luggage myself.

Walked straight to boarding scanners and then was 10 back in security Q.

Took under 10 minutes to get through.

No issues at that time. Flew through.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭jmreire

Not very encouraging news for me...I'm due to fly to Belgrade on 1st Sept, 05:55 departure, Dublin to Frankfurt. Normally, I have experienced problems on the return leg, Belgrade to Munich, not enough time allowed for the transfer. But never on the outward leg. What happened in your case, if you don't mind my asking? Oh, and regarding the luggage, no problems with that at the Belgrade end? My Belgrade friend has warned me not to bring any thing other than carry on luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Got a bank transfer from Aer Lingus. €387 compensation for my baggage delay (2 weeks) I had to buy ew shoes, shirts and trousers for work.

if you were out of pocket for delayed luggage , be sure to send in receipts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

It's been a long time since I've flown anywhere. Have a flight at 07:30 to Dubrovnik with Aer Lingus in September. What time should I be looking to arrive at, or what will T2 be like at that time? Fast track necessary?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Minier81

I found fast track to be a waste of money when flying at that time on a Thursday 3weeks ago. DAA advice is now that 2 hours before is fine.

Went through T2 on Wednesday morning for a flight to US, no queues except at immigration, but that moved swiftly.

Any improvements in the baggage situation, either in Dublin or other airports ( especially Belgrade ) you have been in recently? Heading to Belgrade next week, and am advised by my Belgrade friend only to bring what I can carry on to the aircraft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

How's the security delays going in the Ryanair terminal (T1, I think) in the last while?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Hopefully not too bad, flying out of there next Friday lunchtime

Heard the Garden Terrace is gone to shite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Minier81

We did checked baggage a few weeks ago with ryanair. About 5 bags checked between our group travelling and no issues with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Got dropped off at t1 this morning at 4.55 for a 6.30 flight, was through security at 6.01.

Is the security waiting times on the app accurate ?

Arrived in T1 at 9.55 through security by 10.10

Very quick turnaround

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

going into bologna airport from dublin with aer lingus 21st sept and back home from naples with ryanair 1st Oct

really hoping we don't lose our checked luggage (one 20kg each)

is it really only risky if you have a connecting flight and not direct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It can still happen on direct, but it's vastly less likely.

Got through Dublin Airport en route to Belgrade without any hassle, maybe because I had no checked luggage, and only security to get through. That may have been because I was there at about 12:30 or 01:00 hrs and very little activity at that time. Frankfurt was more problematic, as you need to catch the shuttle bus from one part of the airport to the other ( Z zone) and lots of walking and stairs to be climbed. You could conceivably miss your flight if you dawdled on your way in the many shops. On the flight I was on, Frankfurt-Belgrade, all of the passengers got their checked in luggage on arrival, but there were loads of uncollected luggage scattered around the arrivals area. So beware.

That's the time it takes after you scan your boarding card. At peak times it can take 30+ minutes to get to scan your BC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

Those kind of delays seem to be a thing of the past now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

We went through T2 at about 4am for a 6am flight on Saturday morning, and walked straight through. Some checked in their 10kg bags and no delays there either. Quickest I've ever gone through.

See the post above where it took someone 66 minutes to get through. Can't all be after boarding card scan

What post? All the recent posts mention how quick it has been. I arrived at T1 at 05:15 for a 07:15 flight last Saturday. I queued for 40 minutes for the BA check-in but security took < 5 minutes at 06:00.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This one says 66 minutes but I think there may be a mis type in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,919 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Summer Hols are done with - any delays at all now should be considered a disaster. I definitely wouldn't be praising a quick turnaround this time of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,901 ✭✭✭hynesie08

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Thanks I suspected as much.

You hold the record now 🙂

Yeah it's back to pre-pandemic normal queue times now. It's nothing exceptional.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Jimmy Two Times

Go to UK for football day trips most weekends.

Last couple weeks we have arrived far too early,both Saturdays and Sundays . Through in ten minutes and then hanging around for the guts of two hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭sasco

Looking at booking a break over the October mid-term and considering checking baggage. I know things seem to be fairly settled at the moment, but presuming issues might appear again during busier times like that. Maybe we should just try to bring hand luggage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Caquas

The dreaded airport drop-off charges are just awaiting a Green light from An Bord Pleanála. A good letter in today’s IT shows how difficult it is to use public transport to the airport from most parts of Dublin (not to mention the rest of the country). I would add that a half hour taxi trip around the M50 to the airport costs north of €65 now. God know how much when the new fares kick in.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/2022/09/09/getting-to-dublin-airport/

I live a 20-minute drive from the airport. Using public transport to get to or from Dublin Airport entails up to 1½ hours travelling time on bus and Dart, all going well (this to be added to the 2½ hours pre-flight time at the airport). Airport-users are occasionally old, usually have luggage, and sometimes have children with child-seat requirements, which are not always met by taxis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,908 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

>A good letter in today’s IT shows how difficult it is to use public transport to the airport 

that may be true, but, its a strange argument that they say they are against paying for parking drop off at the airport because they have no option to pay to travel to the airport by public transport.

Surely the end result is the essentially same ? Either you pay a few euro for a bus, or pay a few euro for parking.

Now... I still think there should be a few minutes grace, but the current situation where theres a cat and mouse situation between people abusing the system and the airport police is also not ideal.

The last time I was at the airport collecting the family last christmas, rather than do circles or be waiting down the road or whatever I just parked the car in the actual car park across the way and the few euro was worth it to avoid all the messing with using the drop off zone as a collection point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭BraveDonut

Just got back from Porto and there was ticket system for drop-off. Looked like there was a grace period, taxis excluded, etc

But, it meant a 20 minute tailback at the airport just to get dropped off. The taxi driver was very pissed off

Agree the present situation is chaotic and the solution, adopted by many other airports, is to give a short period of free parking for pick-ups.

If there was efficient public transport (or reasonably priced taxis), passengers arriving in Dublin wouldn’t have to be collected from the airport.

Or they could get a taxi

not really dreaded. Just paying for a service.

OK, if you can afford the €65+ for a half-hour trip around the M50.

For example, the TFI fare estimator tells me a trip from Cherrywood to the airport would cost €68.20 - €102.80, depending on traffic. More during premium hours. Nice if you have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭bren2001

Free to drop off and pay to pick up is logical to me. Drop off where they currently do and pick up at some other location. Have automatic license plate readers to track your time in the drop off zone, if it is too long, you're fined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

So in Terminal 2 at Dublin Airport, and no Aer lingus flights are able to leave because their check in computer system is down since 9 this morning.

Total f@#!ing chaos, large queues already outside terminal 2, updates every half hour. Once they get the system back they will be checking in the earlier flights. I was due to depart at 1, no idea when I will leave.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Nightmare TM, hopefully they sort it soon

• Advertisement
Advertisement