Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

Comments

..and now all aer lingus flights are cancelled from Dublin airport until tomorrow.

Bad form!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Through fast track in T1 in less than 5 minutes. The lounge is at capacity and they are turning people away.

Fair play to Ryanair. They’ve sorted out flights for lots of Aer Lingus refugees

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Absolute shambles! Due to fly AL Thursday, hope they get their sh1te sorted

It’s Saturday, you’ll be grand.

meanwhile I’m booking a hotel in Amsterdam as my flights delayed and I ll miss the connection,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,112 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Delighted that by fate my trip to Wales last weekend as it would of been some **** show if it was this weekend with the Queen dying and then the Airport issues

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭rogber

Taxis cost a fortune and the drivers, especially the Irish ones, are usually gobshites who never stop talking the whole time, often about why immigrants are ruining the country and similar enlightening views

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Caquas

Once every two hours, from Greystones and takes an hour because it goes through the city centre with multiple stops. €13 one way per person.

Tolls are about €6 , it’s a 90k round trip petrol is €10+ And the person dropping you off has to do the return trip. So it’ll take him an hour +

you could get LUAS to leopardstown and get the aircoach

coming home Wexford bus is also an option

I work in the airport campus and live in Killiney

• Advertisement

The M50 toll tag is €2.10 which can be added to the fare. Fuel for a trip around the M50 is €5.

If taxis arriving at Dublin airport (or any other major destination) can’t pick up a fare back into the city, their business model is broken.

the toll is 3.20 I wasn’t talking about taxis, I don’t as talking about him getting a life.

It was in response to the poster saying the bus is to dear. When it’s cheaper then someone give him a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

If the first flight you can get home is on Tuesday will AL pay for accommodation/meals til then or does is the compensation supposed to cover that. Thanks.

Have you travel insurance?

from personal insurance Aer Lingus are p1cks for compensation and takes months to pay out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Well organised today morning...passed security at T2 in 10 mins and at the gate already !

• Registered Users Posts: 26 qba73

Sadly, it happens when management try to save money on QA and rush IT people... I hope the outage will not be too long.

• Advertisement

Getting back to my original point- DAA wants to charge us for the privilege of pick-up and drop-off. Awaiting a green light from An Bord Pleanála.

They want to charge you for providing a service

Do you mean providing the service of a place where cars can stop to pick up or drop-off passengers? Now we’re in Michael O’Leary “pay to use the toilet” territory.

Can’t pay, won’t pay! I’ll slow down just enough so my passenger can jump out while I’ll throw their bag out the window 🤑 If they can’t afford €70 for a taxi, they’d better jump!

What about the air people are breathing (in and out) while they’re waiting for their friend. Do they expect to get that free as well! DAA will monetise that asap.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Busy enough at the airport this morning. Arrived T1 about 5.30am and was through security in 10 mins.

Had fast track as work were paying but it wasn't really needed. Food areas after security heaving.

I use Belfast International fairly regularly, there is a barrier on the way out of drop off/pick up area, it costs £1 to exit. No big deal, never seen anyone refuse to pay it.

• Advertisement

What choice does anyone have? European airports generally give a short grace period for drop-off but, even after Brexit, we are still inclined to follow the worst British practices.

Rest assured that DAA will try to charge a multiple of the Belfast rate My guess is they’ll start with €2 because of the political backlash but then try to ratchet it to €5. Look at their parking charges - an effective DAA monopoly now. it is cheaper to fly to most destinations than to leave your car in a field miles from the terminal for a couple of days.

Another example of a “public service” milking the public. Like those exorbitant hospital parking charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Economics101

Any recent news on the mountain of lost or stranded baggage? Not much comment recently which might indicate that it is being sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

I flew into Dublin last Tuesday night, from what I saw there must only have been about a hundred unclaimed cases all in one corner.

However, all the carousels were full of people waiting for their luggage which is telling me people are waiting a long while to claim their gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I was in similar situation. Contacted my Travel Insurance company who advised first port of call is the airline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Waited an hour for bags earlier this week in T1. Was getting worried!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Sorry I should have said in my post 3-4 ago it was T1 I was in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

Yep I flew into Dublin from a weekend in Newcastle on Monday only one small bag for me so all good but the throng of people at the carousel was huge and a massive pile of unclaimed/lost luggage was visible next to a sign saying please don't pile up lost luggage here.

The security queue was absolutely grand on the Friday evening 10-15 minutes but the bars were all absolutely packed with big queues eventually got a pint though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Anyone know what T1 is like on a Sunday morning recently? Flying Ryanair @ 07.20 with no fast track bought yet - how long is normal security taking? thanks

Check out @dasecuritytimes on Twitter and scroll back to last Sunday morning, and maybe the Sunday before to see for yourself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Thanks, didn't know about that account - very handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 543 ✭✭✭fran38

Just on the Limerick bus to catch a 10 pm flight to Dubai. Two Qs, can I eat a pre packed sandwich stored in my hand luggage after customs/security? Is it still chaotic up there? I get in at 18.30. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Yes you can bring your own grub through security, I regularly have the auld ham sambos in tin toil in my hand luggage.

Its still busy in the terminals alright, might quieten down a bit for your arrival time, security much improved also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Good rule of thumb for people traveling: Download the official DAA app onto your phone. That way you can check the security queue times in both terminals remotely and then plan accordingly without having to wait to get there to see what it's like.

Remember that that's the time after you scan your boarding card. When it's mental getting that far can take just as long again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭VG31

When is the last time it has been "mental"? The security queue issue is past tense now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Are the tents still outside T1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭MrVestek

This hasn't been an issue for some time now. I've flown out of Dublin airport multiple times in the past few months and that chaos from the start of the summer is no longer around. The DAA went on a huge hiring splurge and have reworked how people travel through the airport now.

It's fine.

I did wonder what they are still there and it doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

Travelling from T1 mid Tuesday morning, dont think ill bother buying fast track from Ryanair as last few times I have its been a waste of money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭rameire

Looks like they will have to do a bat and snail survey to get approval to remove the marquee tents from outside t1.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

What's the queues like now at T1 in early morning 0630 flights?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Grand, got one last sat an no issues

T1 drop off at departures is back.

Woo hoo, let the chaos ensue.

10am this morning (not me)

It was probably quicker going through normal security I would think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

I’m flying through terminal 2 on Friday morning and will be arriving at the airport around 9:30am for an 11:30am flight. Worringly they don’t have any fast track available until 11am yet they do on terminal 1 for any time of the morning. I’m thinking terminal 2 is going to be chaotic if they are sold out already.

Would it be safer to get fast track for terminal 1 and then cross airside back to terminal 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭redhill

Shouldn’t be too bad, last Friday security time at 930 was 25 mins, dropping to 15 mins at 10.00

checkout @DASecuritytimes on Twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Arrived T1 12Oct 03:30 - I had boarding pass scanned and through Security in approx. 10 mins. Bars were busy but not packed. No mayhem to be seen anywhere.

Returned T1 16th Oct 18:30 - Literally walked right up to Passport Control, didn't actually stop walking at any point except for approx. 10 seconds while my passport was scanned.

Only had carry-on but the carousels looked empty. I suspect approx. 100 - 150 'lost baggage' lying about the place, all the ones I passed had paperwork on them as if they're waiting to be retuned to owners.

Any of the toilets I used were 'grand'.... the usual Dublin Airport IMHO. Certainly no nasty smells which people had previously been complaining about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Yeah think it’s fair to say that the airport seems back to normal again at the weekends. I also didn’t have any issues getting through T2 security quickly on Friday morning despite my initial concerns….probably took 10 minutes in total.

The T2 setup for boarding seems rather farcical though with a bus to ferry passengers from the main building to a smaller, holding terminal where you then have to go through the faff of queuing all over again. Suppose the main gates at T2 grant priority to long haul flights while the short haulies are treated like plebs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Airlines decision to use bus stands versus contact stands; albeit T2 simply doesn't have enough contact stands for all flights at peak times so either bus stands or contact stands in T1 have to be used.

• Advertisement
Advertisement