Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Airport Mayhem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I personally never agreed with DAA fast-track security selling directly to the public... my view is that the package DAA sells to the Airline is say we need be at Airport say 2 hours to get to gate for flight opening time... If we want anything more we can buy as add-on at any time.. I think this is how assistance works as i never heard of people booking assistance from DAA...

In fairness they seem to be getting their act together... keep it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Roscoe P Coltrane

I used it last week with the card- place it picture side up in top left corner of screen and it worked, guy working there showed me.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I have used mine at the e gates. Once it has the biometric symbol on it and it is issued by an EU/EEA state. It is difficult trying to get your card up from the glass plate as it designed more for the passport book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭VG31

They work at the Dublin Airport e-gates using the method you described.

They generally don't work elsewhere though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,833 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

a pretty eccentric view… the airport themselves run fast track, so why should they not sell the service which they run and which has nothing to do with the airline, directly to the general public.

the airports run lounges and other services, all available to book on their website :)

• Advertisement

The thing that is ecentric is they are creating two types of customers... its all about profit... it may be if they focused on providing a service for all instead of selling a service for profit they get back to the job in hand... DAA have clearly lodt their way and need to get back to providing good service for all... MOL and others can sell fastrack and pass on revenue for same to DAA... DAA are state owned... if they want to privatize ok and i expect service better...

They are not creating two types of customers, two or three types of customers exist.

those with a need for this service.

those with a want for this service.

those with just liking for it, like the convenience.

Fast track or the same product with a different name is offered at practically every airport worldwide, certainly any I’ve been to.

A service for all ? I agree, that everyone can choose what services to avail of depending on their circumstances and preferences. :)

So you are saying its a coincidence that this problem developed at the exact same time as DAA decided to go this route. Whe they have the service for all right which they have not had for about the last 9 Months they can sell what they please... They need to get that right and then decide if they need...

I have sometimes bought priority but i do not want it to become the necessary norm... By cancelling selling they are admitting they fcuked-up...

Service is not what DAA have been about for some time... i expect this uprore will help everyone long term...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Economics101

DAA is a State-owned monopoly. It is regulated in part by the Commission for Aviation Regulation (slot allocation, passenger charges paid by airlines). But do they have a remit to police service standards by the DAA?

Arguably regulation of one arm of the State (DAA) by another arm (CAR) will tend to be conflicted and weak. The proper solution to monopoly is competition. Given that Dublin has two terminals why not open the running of each terminal to competitive tender? Why is the argument for a State-owned monopoly if it never loses an opportunity to rip off the customer?

The running of the airport should be open to suitably qualified bidders: it doesn't matter whether they are public or private sector: what matters is that they have to compete to earn and retain their role in airport management. Personally, I'd like to see the management of Schiphol have a go.

many of us are comfortable with it being necessary or the ‘ necessary norm ‘

any of us who might have traveled for work and got delayed at a course or meeting will have been very glad of this necessary norm.

unless you are at the meeting in DAA offices you have no idea what relatable opinion they have re: fast track… ‘ admitted they fûcked up ‘ … what ??? they as well as hundreds of other airports have offered the services of fast track for years, successfully, great value for money..

• Advertisement

The trouble is they forgot about alot of the people who filled the census form last night who all pay tax... By all means fast track and charge what you like but the "necessary norm" comes first being asked to turn up 3+ hours for a i hour flight just doesn't cut it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

It’s uploaded automatically to your boarding pass after you purchase it as whenever I use fast track I scan with my boarding pass to get through.

God… Opening up a fast track gate will not impact the actual time as to which people need be at the airport….make things negligibly faster certainly but nothing tangibly noticeable… But the service should be available to those who ‘need’ it….

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

The security wait times are still available on the Dublin Airport website and they say they'll be back in the app later this week.

What I'd like to know is does that queue time mean the time waiting from when you scan you boarding pass until you get through security or is it the entire time you might be in a massive queue leading up to the boarding pass gate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,554 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

You have a complete obsession with dissing Dublin Airport.

They're not above criticism, but pre-covid the system worked perfectly well - you turned up 1-2 hours before short-haul depending on the time of day, and if you wanted to cut it finer you got fast track. That's the way airports work.

Since covid struck there have been redundancies, services were wound down to reflect demand and are being wound up again (with some spectacularly bad timing in some cases, demand seems to have caught them completely off guard which is inexplicable), staff absences due to covid are through the roof and hard to predict - all leading to the shambles that we're currently experiencing.

As I say, DAA are far from blameless in this, but these are extraordinary times - I expect normal service will resume, hopefully sooner rather than later - but your paranoia about DAA and Dublin Airport are completely disproportionate.

I am saying what i have personally experienced and was slagged off here several months ago for saying what i am saying now... Its clear there was a shoift in direction... so they had redundancies but forgot to employment replacement staff... now they are telling us there delay in Gardai vetting... i expect they knew that before the others left... could they not re-hire some of these people for a few months until things sorted... I want Dublin Airport to be a good place to come and go to... that's the only agenda i have... i know how Airports work and i will say no more on that...

There was a separate thread on this a few months ago where people were being advised to buy fast-track to avoid delays at security... i aired my views at the time... i just want it to work for all first and let the people who want to buy priority do as they please... I am just now going to buy baggage priority add-on for a trip later this month...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

“Get back to providing a good service for all”. !!!

When was that?

Lookit, Dublin Airport back in the day was a ‘cash cow’, travelers had little choice, Aer Rianta as it was then just sat back and counted the money, they had a captive audience.

Then fast forward to more current times they tried to be leaders in various things like no smoking areas which were almost totally ignored and expected them to be complied with.

They have now discovered that in fact, surprise surprise that they have to actually do something rather than opening shops and renting to various franchises at enormous prices.

They will recover eventually but need to get off their butts and actually DO something other than issuing bulletins telling us how great they are.

I want to be fair here... i never had a problem with Dublin before Covid...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That’s fair enough, however in my opinion they were ‘found out ‘ when they actually had to actually had to do stuff themselves and couldn’t farm it out to third parties.

They took very little interest in the passenger either landslide or airside other than sit back a let others deal with everything.

Then they found it hard to up their game when the pace and requirements ramped up.

Bit like a badly run Supermarket with huge queues and several checkout desks empty.

Im sure they will recover , but need to get out there and as it were get their hands dirty.

• Advertisement

I have being giving out about for more than 6 months so now that things seem to be going the way i want i will lay-off and hope things keep improving until we get back to expected time before flight for all be about 2 hours... All the add-ons are fine for people who need all the time and people like me sometimes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I flew out of T2 this morning, arrived in fast track at 5.05am and was through around 5.15/20am - all very civilized and no pressure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Is fast track essential? Flying out of T1 this morning at 10am. Will be there 2.5 hours beforehand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

30 mins to get through a fairly full security at T1

Downloaded Dublin Airport App yesterday. Looking at security waiting times to-day they were 15-20 minutes at 0930, 30-40 mins at about 2pm and 40-50 mins at 4.30pm. So it would seem that the queues build up during the day, at least once they have digested the morning peak.

Also the text display on the app is truly dreadful and amateurish, at least on my phone. Any observations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,041 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

My mrs was at the airport at 9am this morning. Took 1hr 15 mins to get through security. Website said 45 mins at the time.

You'll be expecting DAA to stop selling car parking now.

Once they start running our national Airport in line with international standards i be happy... security is a necessary service... This is the best thing that could happen... they will have to offer proper terms of employment and i expect pay proper wages to retain good staff...

pay peanuts... i expect you know the line...

• Advertisement

I got a text from KLM saying that the check-in desks at Dublin Airport open 2 hours before departure due to "operational constraints". I had planned on being at the airport at least 2.5 hours before but that would be pointless now.

I am not sure what check-in means in this instance... if its bag check-in you will be limited for time...

I actaully only have hand luggage but can't get my boarding pass until I get my covid cert checked at the desk. KLM have an online verification for that but it's only available for certain destinations.

I was not aware that there was a check before we get board pass with airlines... i have only traveled in Europe since Covid...

I just thought the accepted norm is 2 hours before take-off,,, what i find interesting is it seems the DAA are facilitating KLM and Ryanair passengers need be there 3 hours before just to cross the pond...

Post edited by maestroamado on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

took less than 15 minutes to get through security at 6:15 at T1 this morning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I see Dublin Airport has stopped selling Fasttrack for the moment "but will honour Fasttrack tickets already sold" - so is there a fast track booth still open, and is it open for those with free fast track access e.g. business/aerclub?

• Advertisement

Great to see they getting this sorted... I see the MD of Manchester quit...

App showed 40 mins for T1 and 20 for T2 at 0830 this morning. Now (0930) they are showing 25 for T1 and 15 for T2. Anyone been through in the past hour to compare this with real experience?

Also, T1 shows a persistently longer time than T2, especially significant at fairly busy periods. Is this evidence of inefficient allocation of security personnel. Roughly equal times would also be fairer. Does DAA favour their old buddies in EI over obstreperous FR?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭riddles

Anyone know what the US clearance processing times are?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Am just though and it was quite speedy. Took about 20-25mins.

That said the boarding check ins were getting busy (especially with Delta).

Security lines weren’t too onerous either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

Went through T1 this morning, arrived around half 9 or so. I had a suitcase to check in, queued for that for a bit over half an hour. Security queues didn't look bad, but I had FastTrack and there was no queue at all. Food outlets very busy and hardly anywhere to sit, even at the gates.

• Advertisement

Queues now (1140am) showing 5 mins for T! and 25 for T2. DAA must have read my post above ☺️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

I am flying with Ryanair next week, will my boarding card scan ok at Terminal 2 security ( if queue is shorter there than T1 ) and go down through the connecting stairs/corridor back into T1 and head for the Ryanair gate ?

Thanks

I would be a bit cautious about that:

a:.Is the info on the App up-to-date and accurate?

b: is the difference between queuing times at least 30 minutes, given the potential hassle?

c: will they accept a boarding pass for FR at T2?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kiwizizi

Anybody gone through the airport at around 3pm on a Friday or any day lately? Set to sit in the airport for hours on end tomorrow (nervous traveller anyway). Bags packed with books as seems like it's going to be a long wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭andrew1977

The person I am travelling with will be at the airport ahead of me with a bit of time of kill before I arrive, so they will check the queues in both terminals, just want to cover all options just incase mayhem ensues with security ( I do hope to get there well in advance of my flight.)

Yes, hard to trust the app for accuracy, will see on the day how the queues are shaping up , was curious to know if they accept a Ryanair boarding card at T2.

I have used the connecting stairs from T2 to T1 before, quick enough walk through, but i was on an aer lingus boarding card that day which flew out of T1, even though I went through the T2 scanning /security area.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tfeldi

I have heard from a friend that Ryanair is now also offering bag drop off the night before at Dublin Airport. Can someone confirm that? Any official announcement?

Be very thankful that you are not flying from Dublin airport. Airlines are advising passengers to arrive 4 yes 4 hours before their flight. Things have gotten so bad that Aer Lingus are now allowing passengers who have luggage to go into the hold to check it in at the airport the evening before their flight. Reports of people missing their flights have been a daily occurrence. Long term car park is letting people park their cars 4 hours before the time they had originally booked for. And the forecast for the Easter period is that things will not improve. Interesting footnote is that the head of the Dublin Airport Authority who are responsible for this fiasco is Dalton Philips. That name may be familiar to some English people. In 2015 he was fired by Morrisons having come close to running the supermarket giant into the ground.

This was sent to me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

probably a hatchet man brought in to cull the numbers of staff, long list of them have wreaked havoc to working conditions throughout the airport for the last 20 years or so.

ie Team Aer Lingus, FLS Aerospace & SR Technics to name a few.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Back in the day did there not used to be two security zones...the one there is now and the other down by where the Ryanair desks are (when Ryanair wasn't down that end?).

Speaking of retail in T1. Loads of shops have shut and been replaced with bars (Superdry, Samsonite and some jewellery place) as you walk towards the Ryanair gates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Sounds more like a vendetta against someone. I sr t through the Airport this morning and it was grand. Let’s stick to first hand information as oppose your heresay

• Advertisement
Advertisement