Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! Can't move to new job because boss won't sign off pmds.

Options
2»

Comments

If its an open panel then id have thought his pmds irrelevant

Perhaps interdepartmental tbf

Nonetheless phone calls followed up with mails and quick escalation is still the avenue here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Yeah, probably not needed for open even if you're an existing public servant (though I don't know for definite). It definitely is needed for interdepartmental.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭Tork

It's time for him to be honest about why he wants PMDS signed off so urgently. Seeing as he ended up having to resolve his problems in a court, they'll be glad to be rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭leanbh

Just to update: the new department have agreed to wait until Feb 25th for my brother to get this pmds for them.

He sent another email to his manager and their manager.

No word yet!

Still he's hopeful now of getting this new job.

I hope he's doing more than just emailing. Is he ringing them and then following up with an email?

• Advertisement

He has only emailed them but his manager's manager did get back to him saying they'll look into it.

So that's something.

He's going to follow up tomorrow if he still has nothing.

Just wondering how one appeals a non-review?? (Worst case scenario)

They'll "look into it"?! The manager clearly has a problem with your brother. The manager's manager needs to sort this. Or HR.

As for an appeal - one gets on to one's union, pointing out the problem and the urgency.

One also gets on to the head of HR, by email, with read receipt, pointing out the problem and the urgency, and seeking signoff on one's PMDS by the manager or the manager's superior by X date, and advises that if this isn't accommodated then a formal complaint will be made, and one cc's the manager's manager on that email.

I used to be in the CS years ago and just about remember PMDS. I'm out of the loop now but back in the day, some departments were more diligent about PMDS than other ones. I heard stories of some places which didn't even submit the forms, though that might have been tightened up on in the years since. So in short, there may not be any consequences for your brother's manager if he doesn't sign that form off on time. If your brother wants to leave his current job, he should be banging down the doors of higher up management and applying downward pressure. It's obvious that the manager is going to sit on this for as long as possible and HR might not be his biggest fans either. I fail to see how keeping his reason for this urgency secret will benefit him either.

Post edited by Tork on

It won't benefit him at all, and at this stage HR either know (because it's interdepartmental) or have guessed (because why else would someone be pushing for this so hard, and really, it's not hard to work out!) PMDS is all online these days on one central system so it's very clear to line managers and to HR who has completed their PMDS and gotten it signed off, and who hasn't, if anyone is paying attention. You can't complete your own PMDS as a manager without having your reports complete theirs. So the failure to complete the PMDS for the OP's "brother" means the manager can't complete their PMDS and should mean the manager's manager can't complete theirs?

it's extremely unclear to me why the person in question is being so passive and avoidant at this stage

will he still be sending emails the day before he's due to start the new job?

• Advertisement

Just to say thanks! This got sorted for my brother. He's managed to move to new department already so thanks to all for your advice.

Ah, c'mon, you gotta give us resolution! :-) Did he have it out with the manager? Get any reason for the delay? The manager's manager signed off on the PMDS?

Manager's manager sent email to him saying pmds signed off and there it was.

He was able to move a few days later. He heard Nothing else from his own manager. He loves the new department.

Thanks once again.

All's well that ends well :-)

Advertisement