Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is there no PCR tests available?

Comments

The problem is the lack of testing equipment. Same goes for antigen tests. The upsurge in demand, combined with the Christmas season, has led to a shortage.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,145 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Search Twitter for Dr. Niamh Ni Loinsigh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭bop1977

I got an appointment for a test yesterday. The test centre was an hours drive from my house on a toll road. The test centre was in athlone.

When I got there, there was another car ahead of me and a third car behind me. We all got the appointment for 19:50 but when we arrived the place was a ghost town. All of us came from around the same area in north Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭bop1977

• Registered Users Posts: 3 bph1505

Call it out please .... I've returned 4 positives in a row and have no symptoms ... forget about being sued .... cant happen if its in the public interest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,985 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Seems to be quite a few people saying testing centers are extremely quite. Likewise trying to book a slot seems near impossible. But with over 40k tests being done daily, where are they being done? Seems strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I was at a testing centre in Carlow yesterday morning and it was busy enough. There was a car in the queue who was directed to leave it - I don't know if that was because he turned up without appointment. My OH was in Punchestown today and said it was v busy there, big queue of cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,404 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Tested today in Swords. Arrived at 11.40 for an 11.50 appointment. Back in car at 12.50. Very busy and queue was a lot longer as we were leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭the corpo

Explorium yesterday was pretty busy yesterday, constant stream of cars, but the staff were being super efficient, so in all it only took 10 minutes in and out.

Longest wait I've had for a result yet though, 29 hours so far! Have a crackpot theory they notify the positives first, so I'll be grand ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,654 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

The more positives I hear of the more I believe this is true.

Any positives I know we're under 24 hours.

Negatives up to 40 hours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭ebbsy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,537 ✭✭✭touts

Family member had a positive antigen test last Wednesday morning. Double checked it with another test that was also positive. Phoned Doctor at 10am and they entered details into system for a test. Started to self isolate. Antigen tests yesterday and today both negative.

Finally got a text message today from HSE with an appointment for a PCR test next Wednesday at 4pm. 8 days after it was requested and 8 days after initial positive test. By that point will be negative anyway and official isolation period of 7 days from first positive test will be up.

The testing system has collapsed. If you get symptoms or a positive antigen test then just assume you are positive and self isolate for the required time and don't bother with the PCR.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

I'm out of work now waiting on a PCR after a positive antigen test, god knows when I'll get the PCR I've been referred by my doctor for an urgent one so hopefully not too long. When will I be paid from? I took the antigen on Thursday so out of work since then but might not get positive result until Tuesday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

I'm still waiting for a PCR test after positive antigen test on Wednesday 29th. Two negative antigens and am on day 4 of 7 isolating. Can't see that I'll get a result (even if I get a PCR test) before isolation is completed. I know there's huge demand for tests but if I do get an appointment I'll be conflicted as to whether to take it or not. On the one hand there will be others who will need it more but on the other hand I'd like to know if I actually have covid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Where does the inability to get a PCR test leave the contact tracing system? Perhaps a question more suited for a thread of it's own.

I'd say at this stage anyone with positive antigen should inform their immediate contacts who should then do antigens.

We did. But right now it is easy to do that because most people are on holidays so they can take time off and take tests. In a couple of days everyone is back to work and that possibility disappears. With an 8 day wait for PCR tests the system is pointless. We will be down to a couple of hundred cases a day in a week because 99% of people being tested at that point will have recovered and anyone who is still positive after 8 days is probably already headed to hospital so we'll basically be down to the hospital numbers of cases.

• Advertisement

Difficult to disagree with that analysis - it's a real $hit show

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Wfh people probably

People who need to physically go to work, no

oh id expect a large amount of no shows, from positives, suspected positives, close contacts and beyond.....

Well many won't because of of the shutdown of the hospitality sector. But it looks like everything else (schools etc) will open as planned. After all if 99.99% of people being tested are negative then there will be no need for the government to take action. The fact that the waiting list for PCR is longer than the recovery period will be missed by the government. Deliberately or not will be debatable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Minier81

And if they are back in work and are symptomatic or positive antigen then they should be isolating irrespective of whether they had have their pcr.

My tips for midnight's booking are:

-Use laptop or PC over mobile phone

-Get validation code immediately resent to email

Both of the above got us our test for little one after 40 mins of no success at midnight the other day.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Un1corn

Anyone close to the border book a test with the NHS across the border in the North. They have hundreds of appointments and we were in and out in 5 minutes. Went to the test centre at Rathfriland. Easy to get to for anyone in County Louth anyway.

I wfh

The amount of people I work with who have Covid and still work is shocking tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,700 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Coming straight in here. Our daughter had two positive antigen tests. I went on to the HSE site to report her and you’re led to the PCR appointment link. With no appointments available you can’t report her as being positive. Am I doing it wrong? 🤔

Did it not ask you if you are booking because of a positive antigen?

• Advertisement

I think the reporting system only kicks in on Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Golfwidow

Would this test be acceptable for work purposes here?

It would have been a good idea not to stop testing during Christmas and to provide boosters during Christmas. I know it wouldn't have the impact that is needed, seemed careless to close up shop when it was obvious our numbers were high and that we've a new strain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 923 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

The testers need holidays as well. The requirement of a negative PCR for employers whose employees attend work needs to be booted into touch to free up the drain on appointments. I've also heard of WFH people who have tested positive requiring PCR neg to return to WFH. That is plain wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,496 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/pcrtesting/ shows 65K+ available test slots, either we have peaked or the new registration regime is stopping people bothering to get tested....reminds me of the three monkeys covering eyes, ears and mouth.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Can't book one online in Dublin. Must all be there for GPs to book?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭ax530

Know people who have had positive antigen, no PCR bookings did the isolation time notified contacts.

I am currently a close contact person I know tested positive antigen didn't even bother trying PCR at this stage we all know the drill. They in hospitality so closed up while isolating ECT.

Guess when school/creche back will need PcR availability or perhaps an antigen ok for them I'm not sure.

we ve been isolating a couple of days now, 1 positive antigen and 1 positive pcr, still unable to book pcr to confirm antigen, unsure it ll happen before the week is up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Deeec

PCR testing or IT systems seem to be a mess at the moment. Not sure if its down to the volume of people looking for tests or the booking system being brutal.

My husband is positive - this was confirmed by PCR last week. The rest of us in the house got our close contact messages and to register for a PCR test. When we go to enter our information into the linked website we never get to complete the 8 pages as website glitches and goes back to start. Ive given up at this stage. I rang the HSE helpline and was given completely different advice regarding isolation and testing than is on the HSE website. I have my booster and I now have 3 antigens clear ( all 2 days apart) so Im ok. Kids are not vaccinated so Im just going to keep them isolating for another week ( full 14 days )and do antigens instead of getting PCRs. All are clear so far but they wont be able to go back to school on Thursday ( if schools are open). Being honest Im probably happier that they are not going to testing centres ( when showing no symptoms and negative antigens) as I think testing centres could be contributing to the spread - testing people with no symptoms and negative antigens is crazy is blocking up test slots for people who actually do need a PCR.

Also it is very hard to understand the advice from the HSE re close contacts - the advice is contradicted in several sections so very hard to know exactly how long you should be isolating for. The advice changes again from tomorrow - it does sound like their making it up to suit the situation ie. high numbers of positives oh sure we'll cut the isolation period. Anyway positives are is that for most people it is a very mild virus - vaccines do seem to be working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭homah_7ft

Just wondering if they have stopped self booking for PCR tests? If it's just that it's booked out how far beyond capacity is the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 veray

I have 2 positive antigen test results and like many cannot find free PCR slot, on that basis would GP give me sick note for work through online appointment?

This is the key issue that will arise over the next couple of days. The waiting list for a PCR test through a doctor is 8 days and there are no self referral tests available. Eamon Ryan was on the radio and said they will push ahead and reopen the schools. So businesses will all reopen. With the testing system having completely failed under the pressure the only answer is to instruct GPs to issue sick notes based on antigen test results. There is an element of trust that people actually have a test result but the alternative is to just let Covid burn through the population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭angela1711

Didnt they change the rules re COVID illness benefit ? Can you not get it now with just a positive antigen test or even a confirmation of ordering one from the HSE website ? No PCR need as far as I understand.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/1231/1269357-benefit-antigen-test/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,914 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I was in the hospital with a child last night at midnight so thought I would try that booking page.Couldn't even select my county.Spent a while at it and gave up.

As for the guidance,it is incomprehensible and contradicts itself everywhere.We had a positive antigen Christmas Eve.That's the easy one.The negative siblings, plus my husband and I (all negative) makes no sense.Missed the HSE's calls and of course they won't take callbacks.Spent 40 mins on hold on the phone to HSE Live the other day, so that's it, not bothering again.

I might try to get us 10 day PCRs later in the week but I doubt I am going to be successful.Haven't a clue what to do then tbh.Just do a lot of antigens really.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭TopOfTheHill

Household of 6 here, 2 positive PCR tests yesterday and 1 positive antigen. I have had 3 negative antigens, but similar symptoms as the guys with positives.

Rang doctor yesterday and they marked me as urgent due to being asthmatic and immunocompromised - text received this morning for a PCR test tomorrow evening. I was initially surprised that an urgent case would be that far down the line (not complaining), but now I am reading here of 8 day waiting list for GP referrals I can see why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Got a test done this evening out in the RocDoc in Swords who are also testing on HSE behalf. Was waiting 2 and half hours ! Absolute shambles, many people had left the que or turned around in their cars. I'd of honestly booked private if I'd of known this.

From my experience of trying to get an appointment the last couple of days it seems the only two places where bookings were possible in Dublin were this one and the Carton Hotel down the road. I'm assuming now that all the other sites are being used as GP referrals or running at a very reduced capacity. Either way many people on here and social media have mentioned about how quite some of the test centres have been.

Drove by the Finglas test centre on the way out and only a handful of cars in the car park, was closed when I was on the way home.

I'd be definitely of the opinion that numbers are probably a lot higher then being reported.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 195 ✭✭Baoithin66

Can you book one without a NHS number being a patient with a doctor in NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Four out of six positive PCR results in this house, daughter and wife negative. Daughter has appointment for repeat PCR tomorrow in fookin' Tullamore which is an hours drive away. Kilkenny, Carlow or Portlaoise all pretty much equal distance away. No appointment for wife yet.

They'd better test the wife in Tullamore tomorrow - the price of diesel is enough without going back and forth to these tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Deeec

Hearing stories who from people who were lucky enough to get an pcr appointment in a test centre over the last week - all said the test centres were empty - most got their appointments through gp. Yet when you go to book a test there are no appointments. Look I know the virus is rampant at the moment no question about that but when I hear test centres are empty it does make me question the positive numbers being honest.

Something is drastically wrong - nobody can get tests but HSE is saying there isn't a problem. We have high positive numbers but test centres are empty. We also have a silent government at the moment. Would they have purposely glitched up the booking system to allow testing staff have a break over Christmas - wouldn't blame them if they did but be honest.

Advertisement