Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New driver test-driving a car, do I need insurance?

Options
  • 29-12-2021 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hi I’m a new driver so have never taken out car insurance before. I’ve gotten some quotes, but my understanding is that you need to purchase a car before you can finalize the insurance contract (as the insurance companies want your actual car registration, not just model/year etc). That being the case, will the dealership let me test drive a car without any insurance in place? Do dealerships usually have some kind of special insurance in place for test drives? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭passatman86

Ok, i cant give you a definite answer right/wrong but the previous cars i test drove the dealership never asked for my insurance. Having said that - i could only imagine the outcome if an accident was to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A dealer doesn't expect you to have your own insurance to do a test drive. Even a person with a full licence and his/her own insurance may not have 'driving other cars' in their policy so would need the dealer's policy to cover them doing a test drive.

I'm not in the motor trade so I can't say with certainty that a typical dealer's policy covers learner drivers but the fact that they don't even ask to see your driving licence would suggest that they are covered to allow a person with a learner permit to do a test drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Last time, and the only time l, I had a test drive at main dealer, a photo of my license was taken and green trade plate put on the dash.

I expect this is industry standard, not just that particular dealership.

I was test driving on my own, but of course with full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dealers have insurance to cover you test driving.

You need a driving licence. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,777 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've always been allowed just take a car off for a drive, never been asked about my licence or insurance status. I would have arrived in a car though, whether that was mine or one I was a named driver on.

Worst case the salesperson might drive with you as a passenger for the test drive, bring your licence with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You've only ever done one test drive, yet you extrapolate your experience to an 'industry standard'. I've done lots of test drives and was never asked for my licence. But as with poster Atlantic Dawn above, I always arrived on the dealer lot driving my own car.

If you're renting a replacement car from a dealer (that's where you provide the insurance), they will typically photocopy your driving licence but for a test drive, it seems to be hit and miss whether they will ask to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I would expect this is an industry standard as it makes sense to make sure the person you allow to drive a car is licensed to drive it.

Not because of my experience, more like common sense.

There is a reason I mentioned I only did test drive once so others experiences can vary.

Not sure why arriving with your own car would make a difference tbh. "Oh he has a car so must have a license" kind of thing?

The important bit is that you don't need your own insurance to test drive a car. What rules what dealers have don't really matter. That could be down to their own policies, or their underwriters policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

The appropriate cover a dealer would (should) have is Demonstration & Tuition. Most main dealers would have this, many of the smaller buying & selling lads would not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

And it requires someone on the garage policy to accompany you on the test drive.

A lot of garages are taking big risks with test drives. The last few times I've changed I tried a good few garages none asked to see my licence and the majority just let me drive off the lot with no questions, ending up buying from places that had people accompany me on the test drive. Driving on the site proves nothing as you could have stolen the car or not have insurance. I can see them getting in trouble if there's a serious indecent.

I don't know the wording of the policies but You would imagine that their policy will cover a wide range of scenarios. I can't see a car being uninsured if driving without a salesman. I've always been allowed out by myself too by main Audi dealer and others.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It's for demonstration purposes and the employee is named on the policy or is covered because they are an employee, Joe Public can't be named on the policy so how can they be covered and how does the dealer prove that the car was being test driven as opposed to being used by the person. A lot of garage employees are driving on risky ground when they drive on the company insurance policy out of business hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭AnRothar

Arriving at the showroom with your "own" car means nothing.

Surely the policy might state something like the following:

Persons holding a licence to drive such vehicle and where vehicle is being used for demonstration or test drive.

Where do you get the idea that people need to be specifically named? Lots of commercial stuff cover for example anyone over 25 with suitable licence driving for the purposes of their employment.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Lots of guesswork going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

As above , but OP you say " new driver " do you actually have a full licence ? L or N plates would make a difference I assume if anything happened on test drive, Dealer will have insurance but better to clarify before taking car out, most salespeople will accompany you to try to sell as you drive.

Advertisement