Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone 7 trade in

• 29-12-2021 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭McSween

i input the serial number on apple website and they say they will give 40/45€ as a trade in. The phone is fine apart from the battery having 77% capacity

has anyone traded in with vodafone? I wonder is there much difference. I imagine no. But apparently you have to download a trade in app while in store. The fact that the iphone 11 is only a tenner more expensive on apple tempts me in apple’s direction as vodafone’s offers for existing customers are crap

if anyone has and can post it would be great.

Comments

• Better off selling it to CeX (webuy.com). You can walk in with it and leave with €92 cash tomorrow if you want.

also at the minute if you’re on bill pay with Vodafone and you upgrade your device you should be able to get €200 off. That’s a free iPhone 12 on the €60 plan or €49.99 for an iPhone 13 if you’re looking to upgrade.

the €92 quote i gave was assuming grade b (no major cosmetic damage), 32GB, locked to Vodafone. Higher memory, unlocked & the colour all affect a quote either negatively or positively. if you pop on their site and input the phones make and model (iPhone 7, XXGB, colour, network, B) like that in the search bar you can see how much it’s worth.

the other nice thing is if you see a phone there you like and you’re on PAYG anyway you can grab a second hand one with 24 month warranty which is nice. They’ll pay you more in store credit than cash so €92 is the cash but you could be looking at €120 worth of store credit, so cheaper new (ish) phone. The only thing is they’re a bastard to get a refund out of but if you don’t pick something super uncommon, like a 13 pro max 1TB pink or something you wouldn’t see many of due to their price, you can usually get a replacement off them swiftly enough & 2 year warranty vs apples 1 year is fairly nice.

Vodafone trade ins will be much the same value as apple, the main reason is cex buy to sell whereas Vodafone and apple are just buying it off you to recycle it. Parts that are made of (entirely or in part) precious metals are smelted and sold again and that’s where the value comes in for them but there’s obviously a process involved in that which is quite expensive and time consuming so you’re getting a sort of shite deal overall. Plus it’s not cash you can spend anywhere you want it’s just a voucher which is effectively given as a discount off the phone.

I’d nearly steer you away from buying from cex just because I’ve heard and been witness to some shocking stuff when things go wrong in there. I’ll never forget some years ago a guy in the tallaght store was returning a DVD box set he bought because it was missing some discs. The chap would absolutely under no circumstances give him a refund even when they couldn’t find the DVDs. presumably someone wasn’t paying attention when they were sold or staff swiped them but the guy was adamant he did nothing wrong and just wanted his money back (it was like €30 iirc) cos nothing in the store was of interest so a voucher was no use he wanted the cash to go buy it elsewhere I guess.

i also know of one chap who bought a PS5 that just completely died out of no where and they absolutely under no circumstances would help him they completely shut the door on him because they had no units available it was a voucher for nearly €800 or get to fcuk. even though it was 2 days sold at the time.

so while I couldn’t fault them for selling, except they can be a tad particular about some things so I will say the battery thing might be an issue, but might as well pop in and let them test it. Just don’t open your mouth about it.

oh - one other thing if you’re buying a new iPhone don’t give them the charger you have now unless you’re happy to buy a new plug for €25… apple stopped including plugs and conveniently the lightning to USB became a lightning to USB-C… they’ll knock like €5 off what they pay you but that’s still €20 cheaper than a new plug. Otherwise if you don’t mind that bring as many things as you have available if you still have the box and headphones etc you can sometimes bump your grade if the phones in really good condition scratches and marks wise!

Advertisement