Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Hobby

Options
  • 30-12-2021 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭

Looking for ideas or suggestions on a new hobby -

I've built up a fairly consistent walking, podcasts, and gym routine over the past year and I'm looking to keep the momentum going and add another hobby outside of exercise. I like the freedom of a hobby that can be done without having to conform to a strict schedule or place.

I like the idea of Mens Sheds but looking for something that's aimed at 20s/30s. I've never been into reading or films but was thinking Archery or rock climbing might be options.

Do you have any hobbies that you would recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

Fishing

mountain climbing

photography

Check out a few of my posts from my posts history for much longer answers on this. I have written a few times on hobbies and quality of life changes. So much so that I would just bore people by writing it all again :)

In short though - I would recommend trying anything and everything and see what clicks. Two of the things that bring me the most joy in my life at the moment are hobbies that before I tried them I would have thought "Sounds like a fun day out at most" but I have taken to them so deeply and so passionately that I now can not imagine life without them. And I would not have thought this at all if I was running my finger down a list of hobbies looking for one - or taking other peoples suggestions on a thread like this.

Even things your first reaction to might be "God no" - stop and question that reaction and think "why not". You might get a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭mr.anonymous

taxAHcruel's profile shows as private so I can't see your other posts on your hobbies.

I'd definitely like to add hobbies to my life. There had to be something more to the day than working and following a series on Netflix!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭accensi0n

Learn a language

Learn to play an instrument

Collect old vinyl

Night sky landscape photogrpahy

Grow a veg bed and keep chickens

Amazing amenity for it all around the coast of Ireland

Friendly community

Great option for holidays also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Patsy167

This is great advice. Overthinking and procrastination leads to no action being taken. Better to just do anything to get momentum going and figure it out along the way.

Apologies - I did that when there was information that boards was leaking personal information to google after the "upgrade" of the site. I did not realise it made looking for my old posts difficult too. This new site sucks so bad.

Anyway I would suggest these threads here where I also posted:

www.boards.ie/discussion/2058195520/most-impactful-positive-changes-you-have-made-in-your-life/p1

www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/118139550#Comment_118139550

But in general it is very difficult to recommend hobbies and things to other people. Because if they themselves even do not know what they would like to do - it is hard for anyone else to. Especially since we know nothing about them or what they already like.

Worse - often we do not know ourselves what we will enjoy until we try it out. For example I have invested the last 15 years in Capoeira and Brazilian Jujitsu and knife/staff combat. Before I started them they sounded mildly interesting. I had no idea how much I would love them and give my life over to them.

More recently my friends put money together and bought an out of manufacture high quality bow for me (The oneida kestral - actually it's the bow used in a few series of the TV show Arrow). I thought it was a cool gift at the time but had no idea how into archery I was going to get. Now I do it daily. Sometimes twice daily.

Horse riding also looked kind of fun for me once. And I thought it might feel nice to be up on one in the fresh air and so on. I had no idea how much I would love that either. Nor had I any idea the reasons why I would love it. The things I know I love about it and the reasons I am into it now are things I did not even consider before it. I simply had no idea until I started it that it was going to grab me like it did.

So really try everything and just see what clicks! Overall my philosophy in life has been that I am trapped for a few decades in this body. So I might as well see what it is capable of. New ways to use it. New ways to maintain and improve it. New ways to test it's capabilities and balance and limits. New ways to make it move. And that has driven a lot of the things I am into.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

So your a kick-ass dancing ninja horse archer, makes mental note to always be nice to taxAHcruel

In this day and age it is so much easier to get into all sorts of hobbies and find groups for them, even 20 years ago finding out about them was so much harder, so yeah just give stuff a go

My son jokes that he does think I am the actual Green Arrow :) And my mates always say when the apocolypse or zombie invasion come: They are coming straight to my house.

Actually I did recently start playing around with horse back archery too. So you're not too far wrong. It's seriously but predictably harder than ground based.

If I start playing polo or anything even remotely similar - then everyone has permission to put me down and out of my misery.

Cooking is another one that took over my life in a big way. I noticed in my life - and the life of others - that preparing and eating food was treated like an inconvenience that we had to get out of our way in order to get back to the rest of our lives.

I reversed that in my life and it has brought all kinds of benefits and joys. I now see obtaining, preparing, and eating food as an end in itself. A hobby and pursuit in itself which brings new challenges and joys and excitement and learning and more.

Rather than being something to rush through and get out of the way as quickly as possible so I can get back to the things in my life I want to be doing - it is itself something I want to be doing.

The list of benefits of this direct and indirect is massive. From personal health - all the way up to social benefits as being able to cook and cook well for others is wonderful especially when throwing house parties and the like.

Man I could go on for hours about nothing but preparing and cooking dips :)

And again it is another hobby that until I actually started it and got into it - I had absolutely no idea how much it was going to capture me body mind and soul. So at the danger of repeating myself over and over: Just try stuff is my key message. Even things you think you might hate. One of the best salsa dancers I know - he was practically dragged kicking to his first lesson thinking he would hate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,416 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

To counter your disgustingly healthy habits you could take up home brewing. Nothing as calming as watching a demijohn bubble away happly knowing its going to take you somewhere wonderful eventually, hic.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

masturbation

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd give fishing a lash, in this country you are seldom more than 4 or 5 miles from a fishing spot, Lake, Canal, River or Sea, great pastime

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

Language exchange is a fantastic idea and an opportunity to get the brain matter exercised (Duolingo to get some basics down and then a language class)

Some volunteer work - www.activelink.ie might be worth a shot for a few different options

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭nickkohl

Languages

Musical Instruments

Board games

Modern board games. Mentally stimulating, social activity

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭AllForIt

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭global23214124

Learn a language I'd say. I started learning spanish in 2020 and have come along way since then. Lots of youtube videos and apps to start with and you can read, listen to podcasts, watch series after a while so lots of variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Fishing - for obvious reasons in my signature, but its a hobby that entails so much more than people realize.

Id start with fly fishing, it will take years to become any good at it, you will learn about water craft, entomology, habitat and secure a base in basic hunting. The terrain is wild, the destinations endless and the rewards priceless. You will see so much that you never knew existed. I can actually plan a couple of hours fishing now and never cast a rod. Watching the fish, the birds, otters, pine martins, minks, deer.

It can seriously heighten your awareness of pollution, habitat destruction, and can give you a more conservation minded, sustainable outlook, without becoming a vegan activist!

The relaxation is tremendous - the challenges are endless, its difficult, frustrating and wonderful. Highly recommended!

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭SnuggyBear

Reading? I've started reading now in place of doom scrolling or watching random crap on YouTube. Much better use of time. I've never been into it either but your tastes can change.

Learn an instrument? I would love to learn the drums but my house doesn't really allow it.

• Advertisement

My brother bought his son an electronic drum kit. Neighbours couldnt hear a thing. You slap the head phones on and start banging the drums with the sticks and mostly the only person who can hear anything is you yourself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,621 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I like the idea of Mens Sheds but looking for something that's aimed at 20s/30s. I've never been into reading or films but was thinking Archery or rock climbing might be options.

do you have space to work in yourself? i do woodturning, and it's a hobby i find very rewarding.

Advertisement