Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Mad Max [PS5] - This is a truly excellent and underrated game. It's open world with batman like melee combat although much more impactful and brutal. Try not to grind too much. I did initially and started to get bored but once I stuck to the main missions and side quests I really started to enjoy it again.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy [PS5] - Went in to this game with little to no expectations and boy was I surprised. It was a blast. Your typical uncharted fare but condensed into a shorter game. The main characters work well together and the graphics are simply eye candy. If you are a fan of the Uncharted series and were mulling over getting this then take my advice and go for it. It's an excellent game.

Assassin's Creed II [PS5] - This is a 13 year old game now and it shows its age graphically and with clunky controls which can be infuriating at times. But that aside this is a brilliant game with a great storyline and memorable characters. I enjoyed this so much and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone. 

Assassins Creed Freedom Cry [PS5] - A short spinoff from Black Flag(which I haven't played) about slavery and piracy. A very enjoyable game with beautiful graphics and some very poignant moments. I'd recommend it if you're into assassins creed.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood [PS5] - The second game of the Ezio trilogy and another excellent game, this time set mostly in Rome. Graphically improved from AC II and with some cool features such as training your own assassins amongst others. Highly recommended on my part.

The Wolf Among Us [PS5] - If you've played a tell tale game before then you know what to expect. This is definitely one of their best. Featuring well known fairytale characters with a twist. Murder, violence and an intriguing storyline are the order of the day here. I truly cannot recommend this enough. It keeps your attention until the last seconds.

Yakuza 0 [PS5] - More people need to try this franchise. It's an absolute blast. I love the storyline with Japanese gangsters and side quests that range from the utterly bizarre to the downright hilarious. Do yourself a favour and give this series a try.

Assassin's Creed Revelations [PS5] - The final offering of the Ezio trilogy and in my opinion probably the weakest. It just fell short of the other two but that does not make it a bad game by any means. It brings Ezios storyline to an end and is still a great game in its own right.

Leo’s Fortune [PS5] - A beautiful looking puzzle/platformer that’s a joy to play. Although not overly difficult it does have its moments. It’s also not the longest if you want something to pick up and play in an afternoon. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 [PS5] - Was delaying playing this in hope of a PS5 patch but that isn’t happening so went ahead regardless and have to say this is a masterpiece with a fantastic storyline and characters, not forgetting how beautiful it looks. If you’re on the fence then give it a go. You wont regret it.

Mad Max [PS5] - This is a truly excellent and underrated game. It's open world with batman like melee combat although much more impactful and brutal. Try not to grind too much. I did initially and started to get bored but once I stuck to the main missions and side quests I really started to enjoy it again.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy [PS5] - Went in to this game with little to no expectations and boy was I surprised. It was a blast. Your typical uncharted fare but condensed into a shorter game. The main characters work well together and the graphics are simply eye candy. If you are a fan of the Uncharted series and were mulling over getting this then take my advice and go for it. It's an excellent game.

Assassin's Creed II [PS5] - This is a 13 year old game now and it shows its age graphically and with clunky controls which can be infuriating at times. But that aside this is a brilliant game with a great storyline and memorable characters. I enjoyed this so much and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone. 

Assassins Creed Freedom Cry [PS5] - A short spinoff from Black Flag(which I haven't played) about slavery and piracy. A very enjoyable game with beautiful graphics and some very poignant moments. I'd recommend it if you're into assassins creed.

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood [PS5] - The second game of the Ezio trilogy and another excellent game, this time set mostly in Rome. Graphically improved from AC II and with some cool features such as training your own assassins amongst others. Highly recommended on my part.

The Wolf Among Us [PS5] - If you've played a tell tale game before then you know what to expect. This is definitely one of their best. Featuring well known fairytale characters with a twist. Murder, violence and an intriguing storyline are the order of the day here. I truly cannot recommend this enough. It keeps your attention until the last seconds.

Yakuza 0 [PS5] - More people need to try this franchise. It's an absolute blast. I love the storyline with Japanese gangsters and side quests that range from the utterly bizarre to the downright hilarious. Do yourself a favour and give this series a try.

Assassin's Creed Revelations [PS5] - The final offering of the Ezio trilogy and in my opinion probably the weakest. It just fell short of the other two but that does not make it a bad game by any means. It brings Ezios storyline to an end and is still a great game in its own right.

Leo’s Fortune [PS5] - A beautiful looking puzzle/platformer that’s a joy to play. Although not overly difficult it does have its moments. It’s also not the longest if you want something to pick up and play in an afternoon. 

Red Dead Redemption 2 [PS5] - Was delaying playing this in hope of a PS5 patch but that isn’t happening so went ahead regardless and have to say this is a masterpiece with a fantastic storyline and characters, not forgetting how beautiful it looks. If you’re on the fence then give it a go. You wont regret it. 

Assassin's Creed Unity [PS5] - Although a buggy mess when it came out, these issues have now been patched. This is very much a stealth focussed Assassin’s Creed with a new approach to parkour which works incredibly. I absolutely loved this game with a beautiful rendition of revolutionary Paris which is very much alive with bustling streets. The storyline whilst not at the levels of the Ezio collection is still compelling and enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II | PC

So I never beat RTS games. The last one I played through to the end credits was... probably Dawn of War 1 about 5 or 6 years ago.

Overall, while I had a ton of fun with this, the squad-based mechanics of it all left a bit to be desired. I didn't hate it, I just much prefer building armies than leveling up small platoons. That's just me.

I'm not sure if I'll go through with the expansions; I'm exhausted after playing this particular game, TBH. It was about 8 years in the making - beating this. I started it when I was in my early 20s and just didn't bother with it until this week. Thoroughly enjoyed my time with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations

These games take longer to get through than you might think, if you're to actually read everything. But I liked it.

Was playing on 3DS so only played it occasionally.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Trials and tribulations was my favourite. Dahlia Hawthorne is one of gamings best villains, maybe the best.

• Advertisement

I've been watching the anime after each case. So watching the first of the final 7 episodes now, which covers the final case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

If you install from disk without installing any updates you get 60 FPS on AC Unity on PS5 and XBox Series.

And because of a MS fix, you get the updates and bug fixes and 60 FPS on Xbox Series.

Also, it's a couple if quid on eneba at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Games Beaten 2022

1. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (Switch)

2. Operation C (Game Boy)

3. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy)

4. Castle of Illusion staring Mickey Mouse (MD)

5. Tiny Toon: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)

6. Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)

7. Earthworm Jim 2 (MD)

8. Metal Slug Advance (GBA)

9. Contra Hard Corps, NTSC-J ver. (MD)

10. Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA)

11. Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)

12. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)

13. SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Milllenium (NGPC)

14. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)

15. Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (GBA)

16. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)

17. Air Zonk (PCE)

18. Monster World IV (MD)

19. Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (WS)

20. Dragon Warrior 1 (GBC)

21. Wendy Every Witch Way (GBC)

22. It Takes Two (PS4)

23. Burnout Paradise (PS3)

24. Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)

25. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Switch)

26. Katamari Forever (PS3)

27. Pokemon Moon (3DS)

Yes, this was the most frustrating one so far. On-rails essentially and cutscene-heavy, I'm guessing they were padding the run-time as the late-game gets a bit barren with obvious cut content. Fair play to them turning it around a bit in USUM, in fairness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy
    8. Shantae|Gameboy Colour
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    11. Monster World IV|Megadrive
    12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough|PC
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    15. X-Com 2: War of the Chosen|PC
    16. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts|SNES
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    19. Castlevania: Dracula X|SNES
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    21. God of War Ascension|PS3
    22. Kirby's Dream Land 2|Gameboy
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    24. Quake: Dissolution of Eternity|PC
    25. Final Fantasy Legend|Gameboy
    26. For the Frog the Bell Tolls|Gameboy
    27. Trails in the Sky: the 3rd|PC
    28. Call of Duty: Ghosts|PC
    29. Wonderboy: the Dragon's Trap|PC
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    31. God of War: Ghost of Sparta|PS3
    32. Lemmings|PC
    33. Quake: Dimensions of the Past|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    35. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile|PC
    36. MakaiMura for WonderSwan|WonderSwan
    37. Ninja Gaiden (Game Gear)|Game Gear
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    39. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition|PC
    40. Baroque|PS1
    41. Alien vs. Predator (1999)|PC
    42. Professor Layton and the Lost Future|Android
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy

Trip World

This is a weird game. Trip World is not very well known despite having come from Sunsoft, one of the best developers of 8bit games. It was only ever released in Japan and Germany and didn't sell or review that well in either region. As a result it's one of the rarest Gameboy games and most expensive Gameboy games.

To look at Trip World it looks like any other 2D platformer of the era, although graphically its at the top tier of Gameboy games. The main character can walk and jump as expected. He has a very short ranged kick attack. He can also turn into a fish on command who is useless on land but excels in water. He has a third form where he uses his ears to fly but its pretty hard to control. These extra forms actually don't play too big a role in the game where there are only a few areas utilising them.

What makes trip world so different is the feel of the game and the enemies. Trip World feels a lot like another Sunsoft platformer called Gimmick which was released on the NES. The art is the very reminiscent and I wouldn't be surprised if both games share developers. Both games are strange for 8bit games in that enemies and the player character seem to be controlled by a simplified physics model. It's hard to explain without playing it but one of the side effects is you can push enemies around and jump on top of them kind of like super Mario bros 2.

This wouldn't be too weird except the majority of enemies in the game don't attack you. They kind of just get in your way or play with you. There are dangerous enemies but they very few in number. There's a huge variety of creatures to interact with and some will only appear one time in the entire game. Each creature has their own personality and behaviours. What this creates is a world that feels very alive with crwstires that inhabit each area. There's not really another game like it.

With the massive amount of unique creatures and lack of difficulty means the game is quite short. It's only five short levels long and while the bosses can be tricky the game can be finished in about 30 minutes. It's kind of strange as Gimmick which is very similar is one of the toughest games of the NES era (and its getting a rerelease soon so you can find out, awesome game but very hard). There is one difficult part of the game, a ball busting 3 form final boss which is as difficult as anything Sunsoft have created and it will take a few tries to figure him out.

As I said trip world is a weird game. It's not the kind of platformer you sit down with expecting it to challenge you but a game you play to enjoy messing around in it's world for 30 minutes. As a result it actually makes a very good handheld game although I can see why reviewers at the time were baffled by it as there's nothing quite like it. It's weird that sunsoft who are no stranger to making incredibly difficult 8bit games would choose to make such a strangely experimental game considering it obviously had a high budget. I appreciate it though, I had a lot of fun with it. I also appreciate that the main antagonist is basically two kids in a trenchcoat.

One last thing, like other Sunsoft games it has an absolutely banging soundtrack.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5
    11. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    12. Desert Child - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    13. Ben 10 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    14. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PlayStation 5
    15. Battlefield 4 - PlayStation 5
    16. Sea of Solitude - PlayStation 4
    17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    18. Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - PS3 on PS5 (PS Now)
    19. Shadow Warrior 3 - PS4 on PS5 (PS Now)
    20. Dysmantle - PlayStation 5
    21. Far Cry Primal - PS4 on PS5
    22. Stray - PS5
    23. Erica - PS4 game on PS5

Stray

I enjoyed this short game, although I do feel that it's getting plaudits that are a little over the too. It's interesting to play as a cat, the graphics and music are very good and the story is well played out but it's still a very simple and limited game. I do wish more games of this length were released though

Erica

I've been meaning to play this one for a while. It's basically an interactive choose your own adventure movie. You can play using your phone but I just used the controller. It only took 2 hours to play through and I enjoyed it. It helped that I'm a fan of the genre of story telling but it was a nice way to spend 2 hours.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox Series X
    3. Halo Infinite | Xbox Series X
    4. Sifu | PS5
    5. Horizon Forbidden west | PS5
    6. No more Heroes | Switch
    7. Elden ring | PS5
    8. Inscryption | Steam deck
    9. Deathloop | PS5
    10. Death's Door | Xbox Series X
    11. Mafia 1 Definitive edition | PS5
    12. Call of Duty: Vanguard | PS5
    13. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance | Gamecube
    14. Triangle Strategy | Switch

Triangle Strategy

Rolled credits on this a while back, Fantatstic game but I am a sucker for a TRPG. The story is actually quite nuanced and all the voice acting is a nice touch. Has the same aesthetic as octopath traveler. The tactics in it aren't that deep usually just get your units stronger and heal and evade no triangle system like FE. Currently going through new game plus to get the best ending and still enjoying it, they really did scale the difficulty in it though.

Also nearly finished P5 royal , after 63 hours finally near the new content haha if I was to wind back the clock I probably wouldn't have committed.

After finishing the above I might dive into Live a Live and then I will be Rpgd out for a while.

Post edited by Mr.Fantastic on

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Batman arkham knight - PS4

Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus - PS4

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

Guardians of the Galaxy - PS4

The Quarry - PS4

Sniper elite 5 - Xbox one

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    8. Master Chief Collection: Halo Reach [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps [Xbox]
    14. GTA V Enhanced Edition [Xbox Series X]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]
    16. Bugsnax {DLC} Broken Tooth Island [Xbox]
    17. What Remains of Edith Finch [Xbox]
    18. Lost Words: Beyond the Page [Xbox]
    19. The Pedestrian [Xbox]
    20. Omno [Xbox]
    21. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion [Xbox]
    22. Doom [Xbox]

Doom

Brilliant game. I loved every minute of it well apart from the last boss when I was stuck using a pistol as they would not drop any more ammo. Such a pain. But the game decided to drop a bunch eventually.

It's my second time playing this game as I played it on PC a couple of years ago.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    46. The Guardian Legend|NES

The Guardian Legend

Now here is an absolute gem of a game. Guardian Legend is a very ambitious NES game that combined two different genres. There's plenty of games that combine multiple genres, for example Actraiser, and I always find that they never excel in either but can be greater than the sum of their parts. Guardian Legend combines zelda style exploration with vertical 2D space shooter sections and it absolutely kicks major ass in both.

In the Guardian Legend a giant space station containing alien life has appeared near earth. Communication was established with these friendly aliens. However the space station suddenly went quiet and is now on a collision course with earth. You play a female cyborg Naju sent to the space station to activate the self destruct sequence and save earth.

As Naju you explore the space station from an overhead zelda style perspective. The space station is a giant sprawling overworld which was initially confusing (mostly because I never read the manual). It's actually a pretty simple game. The goal is to find 10 'corridors' and defeat the boss at the end of each to activate the self destruct sequence. Your next objective is always marked on your handy map. Most corridors are locked by a simple puzzle but if you explore the area they are in you will get a hint on how to open it. The overworld is filled with enemies and minibosses but also new weapons and upgrades. There's also RPG mechanics, as your score rises so does your health and the power of your primary attack. When Naju opens a corridor she can jump in where she transforms into a spaceship in a rather impressively animated sequence. The game then turns into a 2D vertical scrolling shooter where Naju must survive and defeat the boss to gain weapon upgrades or keys to open new areas.

The Guardian Legend is an extremely impressive game considering it was first released on the Famicom in 1987. The game manages to throw a huge amount of sprites at the player with barely a hint of slowdown and minimal flicker. The game was created by compile who had previous experience making legendary shooters like Zanaz and Aleste but still there's very few action games on the NES that come quite as close to the speed and intensity of this game. The game packs quite a challenge but is never unfair and there's a huge arsenal of secondary to experiment with.

The Guardian Legend is well known amongst NES aficionados and sold pretty well in Japan and the US. However it seems to have fallen into obscurity with it being a relatively cheap NES pick up. I was very surprised none of the arcade and retro crew had heard of this game when I was talking about it. It's a shame as this is definitely a highlight of the NES library and a rare game that is ambitious, interesting and brilliant. I also like how the ending broke the fourth wall and acknowledged something about me that I've always known to be true but it's great to finally have it confirmed:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5
    11. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    12. Desert Child - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    13. Ben 10 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    14. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PlayStation 5
    15. Battlefield 4 - PlayStation 5
    16. Sea of Solitude - PlayStation 4
    17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    18. Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - PS3 on PS5 (PS Now)
    19. Shadow Warrior 3 - PS4 on PS5 (PS Now)
    20. Dysmantle - PlayStation 5
    21. Far Cry Primal - PS4 on PS5
    22. Stray - PS5
    23. Erica - PS4 game on PS5
    24. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - PS5
    25. Ice Age: Scrat's Nutty Adventure - PS4 game on PS5

The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope

As a huge horror film fan, I really enjoy these games. Yes the gameplay is limited but it's enjoyable to be able to somewhat control a horror film and it's various outcomes. The plot is interesting in this one but the ending is a massive disappointment. It's like something I wrote to finish an English essay in 1st year.

Ice Age: Scrat's Nutty Adventure

Clearly this is a game aimed at kids, it's a simple platformer with basic action attacks. It did get more as the game went on though and it actually surprised me as it ended being half way decent. I wanted a short simple platformer to pass the time and this did the job. I would recommend it for young kids for sure.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    47. Contra: the Alien Wars|Gameboy
    48. Megaman: Wily's Revenge|Gameboy

Contra: the Alien Wars

I was kind of curious about this game. I remember at release this game was highly praised by publications at the time for being a bit of a miracle conversion. I gave it a quick go and just kind of ended up beating it!

Contra: the Alien Wars is a conversion of the SNES classic Contra 3/Super Probotector to the lowly Gameboy. The conversion was carried out by Factor 5 who were well known for making some very technically impressive games for Nintendo consoles before Sony's mismanagement of Lair forced them to shut the doors.

While there have been some necessary changes, the Alien Wars remains remarkably close to the source material. It's feels nigh on identical to the previous Gameboy contra game, Operation C. The controls have been simplified from Contra 3 but it's still unmistakably a Contra game. All of Contra 3's stages are present bar the motorbike stage which might have been a stretch for the gameboy. All stages are very close to the stages in Contra 3 with just the odd missing boss fight. The overhead levels inevitably lose the mode 7 rotation but they work well as typical side scrolling stages, although the second overhead stages sand whirlpools and boss don't work as intended, which might be a good thing as they were infuriating in the original.

If there's one slight negative it's that the audio obviously wasn't handled by Konami and comes across rather weak. While I did finish the game first time, people who aren't Contra savants like me will probably get a decent challenge out of it even though it's a lot easier than the SNES original.

Contra: the Alien Wars is a really solid SNES to Gameboy port by a very talented team. I believe if Konami hadn't cheaped out on the rom size that it could have been an even better game. It's also a damn site better than the piss port GBA port.

Megaman: Wily's Revenge

The first Megaman game for the Gameboy. I've seen this one get a lot of negative feedback mostly about how it copies the NES sprites wholesale over to the gameboy. Due the lower screen resolution of the Gameboy this means Megaman and his enemies take up a massive amount of the screen making the game much more cramped and difficult. While there is definitely truth to this statement I didn't find it as big an issue as some make it out to be.

Wily's Revenge seems like a game that was rushed. Most Megaman games have you take on 8 robotmasters before tackling the final stages of the game (the exception being the first megaman which had 6 robotmasters). Wily Wars is kind of a remix of Megaman 1 and 2. You fight 4 robotmasters taken from Megaman 1 before tackling the final two stages. In typical megaman fashion, after beating a boss you can use their weapon and part of the game is figuring out which robotmaster is weak to which weapon.

While having only 4 robotmasters feels a bit a miserable, what happens at the end of the first wily stage. Usually megaman games have a penultimate battle with all previous robot masters. However Wily's Revenge has a battle with 4 robotmasters taken from Megaman 2. Even weirder is that once you defeat one of these robotmasters you gain their weapon. So basically you get four brand new weapons and only one stage left to try them in. The game feels like the megaman 2 bosses were meant to have their own stages, the gameboy megaman games 2-4 all have you fight 4 robotmasters from one of the NEs games followed by 4 more robotmaster stages from the sequel.

Wily's Revenge is a decent first stab at a Megaman game on the Gameboy that just feels a bit lacking. The aforementioned issues with sprite sizes coupled with the fact that enemies hit like a truck and health refills are extremely rare make this a rather challenging Megaman game although it's also about half the size of a typical Megaman game. The most disappointing thing however is the soundtrack, the renditions of the original NES music are pretty poor although the final two stages at least compensate with two catchy original songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Games Beaten 2022

1. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (Switch)

2. Operation C (Game Boy)

3. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy)

4. Castle of Illusion staring Mickey Mouse (MD)

5. Tiny Toon: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)

6. Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)

7. Earthworm Jim 2 (MD)

8. Metal Slug Advance (GBA)

9. Contra Hard Corps, NTSC-J ver. (MD)

10. Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA)

11. Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)

12. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)

13. SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Milllenium (NGPC)

14. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)

15. Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (GBA)

16. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)

17. Air Zonk (PCE)

18. Monster World IV (MD)

19. Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (WS)

20. Dragon Warrior 1 (GBC)

21. Wendy Every Witch Way (GBC)

22. It Takes Two (PS4)

23. Burnout Paradise (PS3)

24. Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)

25. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Switch)

26. Katamari Forever (PS3)

27. Pokemon Moon (3DS)

28. Beautiful Katamari (360)

Easily the worst one so far and not the best starts to the post-Takahashi games, they made a decision to make The King Of All Cosmos Navi-levels of obnoxiously intrusive. It was alright enough, but I can see why everything after this pretty much kept going back to the Damacy/We Love well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Neon White - one of the best games of the year, without a doubt. But one that took me a few months to get through.

It's not a super long game - it took me around 20 hours to 100% the main campaign, excluding the level rushes that unlock towards the end). But it feels long for sure, and is on the long side for the type of game it is - compared to a similar fast-paced shooter/platformer like Boomerang X. I ended up often taking it two or three levels at a time (there are 90-something total) because I refused to move on until I had every level's ace medal and the hidden gift. This was ultimately a wise choice, but it definitely makes the whole thing an intense and often exhausting experience as you have to get to know a level very well. Short bursts of play were the way to go, albeit I ended up blitzing the last couple of missions over the weekend.

Thankfully, the level design is superb throughout, and the game keeps tossing worthwhile new mechanics at you right until the end when you are given a magnificently overpowered final weapon for the final 10-level stretch. Each level is a perfectly judged platforming obstacle course, giving you all the tools at just the right moment to do what you need to. It's all about the execution: even when the path is laid out clearly in front of you, it feels great to rocket jump your way to safety or snipe an enemy to shave valuable seconds off your mission time. In terms of pure joy of movement, few games have done it better than Neon White.

The colourful and bright presentation is a joy and always enhances rather than gets in the way of the game design. The visual novel parts of the game are the most underwhelming, ultimately, with the story not amounting to much at all and the humour pretty lame for the most part. But it's all easy to quickly click through, and the clever, distinctive bonus missions that unlock as part of the social side of the game are very much worth it.

Can't recommend this enough overall, albeit you might not get the same joy out of it if the compulsion to shave a couple of seconds off your time for a better medal does nothing for you. The only tip I have is to play with keyboard & mouse over controller if possible. The game works perfectly fine on Switch and Steam Deck and the level times have been adjusted to allow for controller limitations on Switch at least. But switching over to m&k early on from SD made a world of difference and just really gives you that extra bit of precise control over the platforming that makes it feel even better to play.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    49. Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden|PC

Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden

Warning, this game is canon.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden (BSUJG) is a homebrew game basketball themed Japanese RPG. You take the role of Charles Barkley, an ex-NBA superstar who is now shunned for causing the post-cyberpocalypse after he performed a chaos dunk during a basketball game. The dunk was so powerful it killed half the population of Manhattan. Now Basketball is banned after the great BBall Purge. Barkley's past come back to haunt him and he has become a wanted man with former NBA superstar turned traitor Michael Jordan hunting him down.

If this sounds totally absurd, well it is. The entire game's premise is ridiculous. The game reminds me of some of the best spoofs such as Hot Shots or Naked Gun. The absolute craziest stuff is happening yet it's played totally seriously with a real over the top melancholy. It's hilarious, laugh out loud hilarious in many cases. Oh, I forgot to mention that the game takes place in a world where Space Jam happened.

For a homebrew game it's a surprisingly well put together game. It's a bit rough around the edges with sprites stolen wholesale from other games but it's all part of the charm and it's fun to see where they stole assets from. As a JRPG it plays surprisingly well. It has a standard FF/Dragon Quest battle system. However each character's attacks have a minigame associated with them that affects damage and accuracy, kind of like Paper Mario. There's no random battles, enemies are visible on screen and don't respawn. You can also get back attacks if you sneak up on them. It's kind of surprising that a fan made game could have so many modern RPG sensibilities when many RPGs in 2008 still had random battles. Stat buffs and debuffs as well as status effects play a big part in boss battles, although the game is never too difficult.

BSUJG is a fantastic dose of absolute nonsense. While not all the jokes land the vast majority do. Many of the jokes are at the expense of the overly tribalistic fanboyism of videogame and anime fandom, even the save points make you endure a forum rant about how japanese games and culture are superior to western culture. Pocky apparently is the ultimate snack for enjoying videogames. The game could have been a badly put together one off joke but it's a surprisingly competent and compact (about 6-7 hours) JRPG.

This game had a sequel in development. It was successfully crowdfunded but the project was catastrophically mismanaged and according to a friend who is a good friend of the developers, they all hate each other now. Pity.

Anyway, I think only the trailer can get across what the hell the game is about:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Guardian of the galaxy

skyrim

trails of cold steel 3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC

Night Trap

Ah Night Trap, a game more famous for its controversy than the actual gameplay. Night Trap is one of the reasons we have ratings on games. The US Senate held it up as an example of sex and violence rampant in the videogame industry. You also had Howard Philips of Nintendo throwing the rest of videogame industry under the bus at the senate hearings. Playing the game now you'd be baffled why there was such a fuss as the entire game is pure cheese and very tame.

Night Trap is an FMV game that has you playing a member of the elite and unfortunately named SCAT squad. Strange things are happening in a house which is about to be visited by a bunch of teenage girls and you have to protect them. However you have access to the security system of the house and can switch between its 8 security cameras and activate traps. It turns out that the house has been over run by vampiric creatures called 'Augers' and you have to protect the teenagers as well as the other members of SCAT and get to the bottom of the mystery.

The gameplay basically has you switching between the cameras in the house and waiting for the right moment to activate traps to catch the Augers. There's 100 Augers to catch and if you let too many get away the game will end. At various points characters will also come under attack and you must activate traps to save them, but be careful as activated traps can kill the person you were trying to save. To complicate matters the security system has five colour coded security settings that will be changed at set points in the game (keep an eye on the family that own the house and listen to what they say otherwise you'll miss a security code change.

Any time Night Trap gets mentioned usually the cheap nature of the sets and dodgy acting get mentioned. I really cant defend this but the game is pure b-movie schlock and knows what it is. The cheesiness is all self referential and you can tell the production team and actors were having an absolute blast filming this. It's actually quite impressive how consistent the game is with characters moving from room to room and how it keeps track of all this and the continuity. There's one massive flaw with the game and it's that you are so busy catching augers that you miss all the story sequences. If you want to watch them you will miss the Augers and fail the mission and with 100 Augers to catch they appear relentlessly. I finished the game without having a clue what was going on in the story and had to unlock the movie scenes and watch them individually.

The latest release of this game brings a lot of quality of life features. The interface is much improved, especially the camera icons that now give previews of what is happening in each room making the game far less frustrating. The video quality is a massive improvement over previous releases, there's some tape degradation artifacts and some scenes are really low quality but it can't be helped due to the state of the archived material. They did a great job with the restoration. Despite the bad reputation I quite enjoyed the game, flaws and all.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    51. Gargoyle's Quest
    52. Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course

Gargoyle's Quest

This is a fantastic little game from Capcom. It's a spin off of the Ghosts 'n Goblins series where you play as the Red Arremer, if you have played any of the series he is the flying red devil guy who is far and away the most annoying and challenging enemy in all the games. The realm of monsters has been taken over by an even greater evil and it's up to the Red Arremer Firebrand to vanquish the usurper and take his place as the leader of all demon kind.

Capcom really went all out with this gameboy title. It's got great production values and some of Capcom's best talent working on it. Gargoyle's Quest might seem like a standard platformer but Firebrand's abilities make this a very unique game that controls like nothing else. Firebrand has a limited flight in a horizontal direction when holding the jump button. He can also cling to walls. These two simple abilities completely change the way you approach the game, sort of like bionic commando's grapple shot.

You move between stages in a JRPG style overworld. You can visit towns and talk to the denizens of the monster realm while taking missions from them. There's even random battles on the over world that throw you into a small arena and task you with defeating all enemies there. It's kind of strange as there's no experience and the game is very linear despite the overworld but it does add a lot of flavour to the game. As you complete stages and defeat bosses you gain abilities that can either raise stats or give you brand new abilities (the standout being a projectile attack that can stick to spiked walls and give firebrand a new temporary foothold). It would almost be metroidvania-esque if the game wasn't so linear.

Gargoyle's Quest is a gorgeous looking game with big sprites, lush stage art and massive bosses. The soundtrack is absolutely superb. The game is quite a challenge but it's very lenient and allows you to continue indefinitely as well as giving you passwords to track progress. A slight negative is that the game is a little short. It's a really unique action platformer and one of the very best Gameboy games of all time.

Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course

I don't hide my love of Cuphead. It's an amazing game with gorgeous visual design and the best boss design in a platform shooter since Contra Hard Corp. It manages to feel like a lost game from Treasure. What can I say, I adore old school boss fights and Cuphead has some of the best.

The Delicious Last Course has everything I want out of Cuphead DLC: more Cuphead. The new bosses are excellent. There's no run and gun levels which were the weakest part of the original game. There's also a secret boss that seems to me to be a homage to Treasure classic Silhouette Mirage. There's also a fun optional section that lets you take on a selection of unique bosses that can only be defeated using your parry ability.

The developer really went all out with the visuals and animation. They really should be commended with how great each phase of these fights look. They also did a few new stop motion backgrounds.

Basically, Cuphead is incredible and this is more of the very best Cuphead content.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    51. Gargoyle's Quest|Gameboy
    52. Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2

Space Manbow

Space Manbow is Konami's only shooter for the MSX2.

Bit of a history lesson to explain why this game is so special. The MSX is a curious piece of hardware. It's a pretty powerful 8-bit computer but it doesn't have support for hardware scrolling. There's a reason why a stealth game like Metal Gear got it's start on the MSX2, the slower stealth action meant there was no need to scroll rooms. This lack of hardware scrolling however never put Konami off from trying. They made some amazing shooters for the MSX1, 3 unique Gradius/Nemesis games and the very first Parodius released on the MSX1 first. If you look at these games they they look very weird, the sprites move around the screen smoothly but the backgrounds scroll in jerky jumps of 8 pixels. It takes a while to get used to.

While the updated MSX2 had support for hardware scrolling, it was only for vertical scrolling. However the technical wizards at Konami managed to make Space Manbow not only scroll horizontally smoothly but it also scrolls vertically diagonally as well as having some parallax scrolling. It's kind of insane that this is running on the same hardware that would normally struggle with this.

Of course these technical accomplishments would mean nothing if the game wasn't great, but luckily it's another amazing shooter from Konami. Space Manbow is one of the very best 8-bit shooters of all time with 8 fiendishly difficult levels each with their own gimmicks and themes to differentiate them. The first level has you flying over a giant land cruisier taking out gun emplacements, while another level has you floating through a rocky biomechanical nightmare. One of the final stages has you using asteroids to block a giant laser coming off screen from an off screen capital ship. The variety and excellent level design make Space Manbow stand out from its peers.

Even when not taking into account the technical achievements of this game, it's a real looker. The enemy and environment designs are gorgeous and colourful. The screen filling bosses are breathtaking for an 8-bit game. This is far and away the best looking game I've seen on the MSX2, and possibly the best looking 8-bit game I've played. Unfortunately this all comes at a cost and the game runs at about 30 FPS. The game also slows down regularly to 20 FPS. This results in a game that feels a little sluggish and less responsive compared to other shooters that would run at 60 FPS.

Special mention has to be made for the soundtrack. It's quite simply one of the best soundtracks of any game. Konami would put their proprietary 'SCC' chip into their MSX cartridges which gave their games a much richer sound that was closer to the megadrive. A lot of Konami's best composers worked on this soundtrack including Michiru Yamane who would later compose for the Castlevania series and Symphony of the Night.

Space Manbow is an excellently designed and gorgeous looking shooter that has some framerate issues but these are easy to overlook when you consider just how good the game is.

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    8. Master Chief Collection: Halo Reach [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps [Xbox]
    14. GTA V Enhanced Edition [Xbox Series X]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]
    16. Bugsnax {DLC} Broken Tooth Island [Xbox]
    17. What Remains of Edith Finch [Xbox]
    18. Lost Words: Beyond the Page [Xbox]
    19. The Pedestrian [Xbox]
    20. Omno [Xbox]
    21. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion [Xbox]
    22. Doom [Xbox]
    23. Rage [Xbox]

Rage

This was a brilliant game and never really heard anyone talking about it. Graphics weren't that great but it did release back on Xbox 360/PS3 era. Most enemies came at you at mad angles(hard to explain) but it made aiming really difficult with a controller. Like they would zig zag in the opposite way you were aiming and then wall run and also swing from the ceiling. So you miss many time while shooting at them and some enemies do all the above and charge at you with weapons so deal a lot of damage to you. Still a great game. It's on Gamepass. I will play Rage 2 eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Fallout: New Vegas || PC

This one was a marathon and a half for me. I reloaded a save file from 2015 and decided to get it finished.

I didn't just beat the game, I went back and did every single solitary thing necessary to get all the base game achievements (I also completed all but one of the expansions).

All 4 questlines/endings completed as well. This is the first time I've cleaned up a Fallout game in my life, and it just so happened to be the one BGS-published Fallout game that I never actually managed to beat until now (I refused to roll credits on New Vegas from the moment the game launched on Xbox 360, because I kept holding out and hoping they would've released DLC that let you play the game past the ending - alas after a year or two, it never came, and I never really went back to it until 2015 on Steam, and bounced out AGAIN). Reinstalled, modded it up full of quality of life improvements, fan-made bug fixes/patches, and dove in. Over 100 hours this past fortnight. Man I loved the hell out of this game but I think after 12 years of playing it on and off, both on Xbox 360 and PC, literally hundreds of hours between the two ports, I'm retiring this game for good. I've gotten my fill and it was an absolute banger. Steam won't tell me that I completed the game (achievements-wise) due to the DLC being lumped in there, but TrueSteamAchievements gets me! I'm delighted to see this on my profile.

Fallout NV was a brilliant game I remember playing it over a Christmas break from college as a mature student well over a decade ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox Series X
    3. Halo Infinite | Xbox Series X
    4. Sifu | PS5
    5. Horizon Forbidden west | PS5
    6. No more Heroes | Switch
    7. Elden ring | PS5
    8. Inscryption | Steam deck
    9. Deathloop | PS5
    10. Death's Door | Xbox Series X
    11. Mafia 1 Definitive edition | PS5
    12. Call of Duty: Vanguard | PS5
    13. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance | Gamecube
    14. Triangle Strategy | Switch
    15. Persona 5 Royal | PS5(PS4)

Persona 5 Royal

Finally rolled credits on this after 90 hours save time it says and 65 via played on the PS profile.

Fantastic game , I would recommend playing it if you have already played P5 vanilla like me. Despite that there are some serious QOL improvements with major added bits in the main story but it unfortunately the same palaces. The combat music etc are so addictive it has that one more go mechanic that makes it so addictive. The new semester was very good to be fair and was challenging even at high level.

Glad I wrapped that one up currently working my way through the live a live remake and I have only one word for it strange!

Xenoblade Chronicles and Future Connected on Switch.

About 90 hours in total doing a load of side quests.

Have never played an RPG for more than an hour before so this was a new genre for me. Though I know Xenoblade has been compared more to MMOs than a standard RPG.

But I really liked it and will try more in the series.

• Advertisement

Assassin's Creed Unity [PS5] - Although a buggy mess when it came out, these issues have now been patched. This is very much a stealth focussed Assassin’s Creed with a new approach to parkour which works incredibly. I absolutely loved this game with a beautiful rendition of revolutionary Paris which is very much alive with bustling streets. The storyline whilst not at the levels of the Ezio collection is still compelling and enjoyable.

Far Cry 3 [PS5] - Initially this didn’t click with me, more because I needed a break from gaming but when I went back to it I absolutely loved it. One of the main villains named Vaas makes the game for me with his manic and unstable personality. The gameplay is tight and the weapons varied and interesting. I can’t recommend this enough. Ignore the fact that this is over 10 years old. It’s a must play, especially if you like the far cry formula.

Advertisement