Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Betrayal at Club Low

A new Cosmo D game is an instant play for me: one of the most distinctive indie developers around, albeit one whose work I wouldn't recommend without noting its niche appeal!

Anyone familiar with his work will be right at home here aesthetically - his vision of Off-Peak City remains delightful, full of weird models, clashing assets and amusing stock animation. The vibes are immaculate as ever, full of strangeness, humour and sharp political / social satire. Here, you're a secret agent disguised as a pizza delivery guy, tasked with entering a club to extract a source. It's a loose follow-on from the previous Tales from Off-Peak City Vol 1.

Where this differs is the gameplay: whereas his other recent games are all first-person exploration games, this is a point-and-click RPG with a novel dice-rolling mechanic. Dice rolling is nothing new, but the way it's utilised here to determine the outcome of your interactions with the world is a delight. Whether it's your customisable 'pizza dice' (it isn't a Cosmo D game without pizza cooking) or the novel status effects you end up with when conversations go wrong (or right), this is a fascinating, funny game that's much more mechanically robust than anything the developer has made before. It also has a neat upgrade system, where you can upgrade your dice face by earning money as you roll your way to success.

Quite fantastic, honestly, and one of my favourites of the year. Jankcore for life.

The Looker

A short parody of The Witness that's a pretty solid hour or two experience in its own right. It gets the look of Blow's game down perfectly, and its main mechanic - draw a line from 'start to end', much like a children's activity book - is a funny one.

Its main problem is that the writing isn't very funny - it all boils down to 'The Witness is pretentious!', which, fair enough, but the delivery is just off and one-note. What is funny, much more importantly, is its mechanical jokes: it has several troll puzzles that are clever jokes in their right, and even a handful of decent puzzles that work as actual puzzles to boot! And, to be fair, there is a pretty good punchline at the end that's extremely childish but undeniably funny.

Anyway, it's short and it's free, so you can't really go wrong. Your mileage may vary depending on much of The Witness you played. I loved The Witness and played it to completion, so got a lot of the references (the ending bits really work best if you've played The Witness right through to the end). But equally if you hated Blow's approach you're likely to appreciate the way it's skewered here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

The Witness I actually own that game got it for free off Xbox. I only played a bit of it. Solved some easy puzzles but hadn't a clue about some others and just left . Maybe I'm not smart enough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's one of my favourite games, and while I think Blow can be quite the arse at times on social media etc... there's no denying that I'm fascinated by his approach to gameplay and narrative design.

The Witness I must have played 40-50 hours over the space of a couple of weeks - although maybe 10 of those were spent trying to figure out its final timed challenge! Such an engrossing world, full of incredible secrets and ideas. But yeah the sheer volume of puzzles can be an obstacle - I think almost all of them are solvable once you 'get' the twist, but there are humps you'll need to get over. There were times I hit a wall that would take an hour or two of play and a day or two away from the game to progress past! Note-taking helped a lot. But yeah it's far from a game for everyone, so if it didn't click early it's perfectly fair to walk away. There are big, game-changing secrets that IMO are worth discovering and extraordinarily rewarding... but man some of those line puzzles don't make getting there super easy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Games Beaten 2022

1. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (Switch)

2. Operation C (Game Boy)

3. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy)

4. Castle of Illusion staring Mickey Mouse (MD)

5. Tiny Toon: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)

6. Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)

7. Earthworm Jim 2 (MD)

8. Metal Slug Advance (GBA)

9. Contra Hard Corps, NTSC-J ver. (MD)

10. Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA)

11. Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)

12. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)

13. SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Milllenium (NGPC)

14. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)

15. Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (GBA)

16. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)

17. Air Zonk (PCE)

18. Monster World IV (MD)

19. Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (WS)

20. Dragon Warrior 1 (GBC)

21. Wendy Every Witch Way (GBC)

22. It Takes Two (PS4)

23. Burnout Paradise (PS3)

24. Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)

25. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Switch)

26. Katamari Forever (PS3)

27. Pokemon Moon (3DS)

28. Beautiful Katamari (360)

29. Dead Rising (360)

30. Alice: Madness Returns (360) - New

It's about 70% of a finished game stretch to about 4 hours more than what its running time should be. It's buggy, glitchy, often inconsistent and is full of these incredibly prolonged and repetitive levels. In spite of that, it manages to be a really charming, atmospheric game that controls like a dream and the combat is incredibly fun once you get the hang of mixing it up. Can only imagine the success it could've been had it had the scope to see through on its ambition, but, for whatever its faults, it manages it be interesting and I don't really ask for much more than that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5
    11. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    12. Desert Child - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    13. Ben 10 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    14. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PlayStation 5
    15. Battlefield 4 - PlayStation 5
    16. Sea of Solitude - PlayStation 4
    17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    18. Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - PS3 on PS5 (PS Now)
    19. Shadow Warrior 3 - PS4 on PS5 (PS Now)
    20. Dysmantle - PlayStation 5
    21. Far Cry Primal - PS4 on PS5
    22. Stray - PS5
    23. Erica - PS4 game on PS5
    24. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - PS5
    25. Ice Age: Scrat's Nutty Adventure - PS4 game on PS5
    26. Ghost of Tsushima - PlayStation 5

Ghost of Tsushima

Well first things first, this is a beautiful game. The scenery, music, sound design are all top notch and it can be quite a relaxing experience just wandering around Tsushima or Iki island. The game does have its flaws though - firstly I found it VERY easy despite upping the difficulty levels. The combat is reasonably basic but you have so much health that you are never really in trouble except for the occasional duel. As with all open world games these days, it's also far too long when taking into account the side missions. They could have cut some of the side missions down a bit really as some of them of stand along ones don't offer much.

All in all it's a very enjoyable game though and highly recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Batman arkham knight - PS4

Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus - PS4

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

Guardians of the Galaxy - PS4

The Quarry - PS4

Sniper elite 5 - Xbox one

Horizon zero dawn - PS4

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    22. Stray - PS5
    27. Deliver Us The Moon - PlayStation 5

Deliver Us The Moon

I really enjoyed this game and it made for a great palette cleanser from open world games. It has a nice sci-fi plot and the gameplay is mostly walking simulator with some simple puzzles and platform sections. It's a great looking game, especially the surface of the moon where I had fun exploring. It's short and an easy enough platinum, very fun game that's available on PS Plus Extra Tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    8. Master Chief Collection: Halo Reach [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps [Xbox]
    14. GTA V Enhanced Edition [Xbox Series X]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]
    16. Bugsnax {DLC} Broken Tooth Island [Xbox]
    17. What Remains of Edith Finch [Xbox]
    18. Lost Words: Beyond the Page [Xbox]
    19. The Pedestrian [Xbox]
    20. Omno [Xbox]
    21. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion [Xbox]
    22. Doom [Xbox]
    23. Rage [Xbox]
    24. Rage 2 [Xbox]

Rage 2

What a game I loved every minute of it. And you never hear people talking about it which is a shame. I had done so much that I was over powered at the end. I even beat all four of those big tower things at the entrance to the end part. You were meant to pull up in the special tank and they do not shoot you. I pulled up in the car you get at the start and jumped out and easily took all four down. Worst part about that was I was low on bullets then but there was plenty inside to refill.

I got it for free on Gamepass and I'm feeling a bit too tight to pay for the DLC. 🤑

I might in the future get the DLC I will see.

17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    22. Stray - PS5
    28. Observer: System Redux - PlayStation 5

Observer: System Redux

This was such a frustrating game for me as it contained some excellent parts and some not so excellent parts. Essentially a walking simulator, the game is a sci-fi plot centred in futuristic Krakow where humans are augmented with a variety of different tech implants. The main plot is decent but it's the side quests where the game really shines as they are interesting, strange and sometimes challenging. What lets the game down are the 'dream catcher' sequences as they are too surreal and too long. The visuals are excellent and eerie but they are too surrealist to hold your attention. Surprising Rutger Hauer, who does the voice for the main protaganist, is also a big weak link as his performance is extremely lacklustre and uninspiring.

There is enough here to make me want to check out other games from the same developer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

"There is enough here to make me want to check out other games from the same developer."

Don't. Bloober team are **** awful and their games get worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy
    8. Shantae|Gameboy Colour
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    11. Monster World IV|Megadrive
    12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough|PC
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    15. X-Com 2: War of the Chosen|PC
    16. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts|SNES
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    19. Castlevania: Dracula X|SNES
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    21. God of War Ascension|PS3
    22. Kirby's Dream Land 2|Gameboy
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    24. Quake: Dissolution of Eternity|PC
    25. Final Fantasy Legend|Gameboy
    26. For the Frog the Bell Tolls|Gameboy
    27. Trails in the Sky: the 3rd|PC
    28. Call of Duty: Ghosts|PC
    29. Wonderboy: the Dragon's Trap|PC
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    31. God of War: Ghost of Sparta|PS3
    32. Lemmings|PC
    33. Quake: Dimensions of the Past|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    35. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile|PC
    36. MakaiMura for WonderSwan|WonderSwan
    37. Ninja Gaiden (Game Gear)|Game Gear
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    39. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition|PC
    40. Baroque|PS1
    41. Alien vs. Predator (1999)|PC
    42. Professor Layton and the Lost Future|Android
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    46. The Guardian Legend|NES
    47. Contra: the Alien Wars|Gameboy
    48. Megaman: Wily's Revenge|Gameboy
    49. Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden|PC
    50. Night Trap|PC
    51. Gargoyle's Quest|Gameboy
    52. Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC

Blue Reflection

The world really could do with a good magical girl JRPG. Blue Reflection isn't that game unfortunately. The developer Gust can be a bit hit and miss but this is a big miss by them. Blue Reflection was being pushed as a new IP for them but it's very low budget, even by their usual low budget standards.

Persona 3/4 has obviously been a big inspiration here, another game that did a whole lot with a low budget. It has the same school setting and it's own take on social links, but the social links don't feed into the combat as well as Persona handles it. While the game looks nice, with some good character models and environments, there's really only a handful of environments and you will be revisiting them until they get very repetitive. The combat system has some good ideas but you will never be challenged and even the optional super boss is a push over.

The biggest issues are the narrative and structure of the game. It takes itself way too seriously and there's never really any empathy with the girls like there would be in in Persona. Their issues are all so trivial. Narratively it needs both humour and conflict. Everyone is way too nice and there's none of the humour and relatable bitchiness that made something like Sailor Moon the classic it is. Structurally the game is broken in to 12 chapters where you have 'free time' to explore the school, work on your social links and solve missions that take you into the combat area. However all social links are just a bit of text while the two girls stand in front of a static image and the missions are all the same, go explore the same 4 areas and either kill a set number or monsters or collect a set number of items. It gets exhausting quickly. The chapters end with a boss fight, which while a lot of fun also repeat.

Blue Reflection could have really done with a much bigger budget and better writing. It's not all bad, the UI is excellent, rivaling even Atlus's work on the Persona series, and the soundtrack is god-tier, seriously check it out, it's incredible. Apparently the sequel, Blue Reflection Second Light is a much better game and a substantial improvement.

Far cry 6 - PS4

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

The Quarry - PS4

Horizon zero dawn - PS4

As dusk falls - Xbox series s

17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    22. Stray - PS5
    29. Spider Man: Miles Morales - PlayStation 5
    30. Observation - PlayStation 5

Spider Man: Miles Morales

I'm sure most people have played this at this stage. It's more of the same as the original game only much shorter which I think works in it's favour. The various things you can do around the map are better handled in this game and it doesn't over stay its welcome. My only issue is not gameplay related but trophy related, I hate any game that makes you play through twice to get the platinum trophy. In this case you need to complete new game+ mode which I did't bother with. There's plenty more games out there to play without playing through the same one twice.

Observation

This is another game that I would not have played if it wan't for PS Premium. You control SAM, an AI computer on a a space where strange things are happening. You interact with the environment using cameras and a movable sphere. Essentially a puzzle game, I give the makers lots of credit for coming up with something unique although it can be very frustrating at times. I also encountered two glitches where I become stuck but I only found out it was a glitch after I was messing around for half an hour trying to progress. At about 6 hours long, I'm glad I gave it a playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox Series X
    3. Halo Infinite | Xbox Series X
    4. Sifu | PS5
    5. Horizon Forbidden west | PS5
    6. No more Heroes | Switch
    7. Elden ring | PS5
    8. Inscryption | Steam deck
    9. Deathloop | PS5
    10. Death's Door | Xbox Series X
    11. Mafia 1 Definitive edition | PS5
    12. Call of Duty: Vanguard | PS5
    13. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance | Gamecube
    14. Triangle Strategy | Switch
    15. Persona 5 Royal | PS5(PS4)
    16. Ori and the Blind forest | Series X

Ori and the Blind Forest

Very very late to the party on this one, had it on the switch but since I have gamepass and hearing other people say its best experienced on a screen.

The music is beautiful and the story really is emotive. The gameplay while tough is never unfair you can really see all the effort poured into it and I can see why it got such great accolades. Glad I played it on the OLED the colours really popped, will give will of the wisps a go soon too.

Still plugging away at live a live have two stories left, mixed bag of an RPG some of them are quite dull also started divinity 2 on the steam deck and its quite overwhelming with all the options but its a real meaty RPG.

Trying to not get into to too many RPGs as GOW ragnarok looms.

Far cry 6 - PS4

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

The Quarry - PS4

Horizon zero dawn - PS4

Fifa 22 - PS4

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC
    55. MegaMan 2 |Gameboy

Megaman 2

Megaman 2 follows on from the first Gameboy MegaMan game. You fight 4 robotmasters from MegaMan 2 followed by 4 robotmasters from MegaMan 3 in remixed stages.

MegaMan 2 is a much more focused game than the disappointing first Gameboy outing. The second set of four robotmasters now have their own stages bringing the stage count up to 9 if you include the final Wily stage.

Even though it's a big improvement on the first game I can't help be a little disappointed. While the stage designs are fine they don't come close to the excellence of MegaMan 2 and 3 on the NES. It's hard to find a practical use for your weapons in stages so you just stick to the default weapon. The game also over corrects from the crazy high difficulty of the first Gameboy outing and is now way too easy to the point that I never once saw the game over screen. Bosses can be finished off fairly handily with the default buster.

Well it's a MegaMan game so at least the music must be good? The game falls flat here as well with some horrendously shrill tracks that can be painful to listen to.

While not a bad game it pales in comparison to the NES games but capcom's contract developer is learning from each game it makes. MegaMan 3 on the Gameboy is a fantastic MegaMan game and one of my fav Gameboy games with the right amount of challenge, great stage design and fantastic tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PS4)
    2. The Outer Wilds (PS4)
    3. The Forgotten City (PS5)
    4. Sifu (PS5)
    5. Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)
    6. Elden Ring (PS5)
    7. Tiny Tina's Wonderlands (PS5)
    8. Cuphead (PS4)

Sonic Origins (PS5)

Not much to say about them. Games are as old as the Green Hills. I enjoyed replaying them though for nostalgia if nothing else, as we were a Sega family rather than Nintendo. I finally completed Sonic 2 which was a lifetime battle for me as it was always the one I couldn't beat for some reason (even when I replayed about 5-6 years ago as an adult), and just for record I beat it on Classic mode rather than the endless lives of the Anniversary Mode. Also regularly got the emeralds and stuff to become Super Sonic which I never did in the games as a kid. So yeah, good times.

Inscryption (PS5)

Fell behind on completing games because I got caught up in going back to Overwatch for a few weeks. But have been wanting to complete Inscryption since hearing good things about it on PC. Lived up to the hype. A fantastic game. Constantly moves and shifts in ways you don't expect (and often struggle to follow), so can really keep you on edge throughout. The roguelike elements also add to this, as sometimes the deck is just going to be stacked against you. Some of the puzzles are pretty fiendish too.

The game kinda dips a bit in Act 2, though it's also more forgiving and easier to just power through it. It's hard to talk too much about the main game without giving things away, and it's a game that's at its best if you go into it as blind as possible, so I'll not say much more.

The post-game content where you can re-run a version of Act 1 with different debuffs/modifiers is also excellent. Even if you have your strategy down, the RNG can still f*ck you over, so it really does make each run unique and challenging.

A really well designed, charming, and challenging game. Some really amazing twists and turns, but also some moments that are very funny.

17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    22. Stray - PS5
    31. The Turing Test - PlayStation 5

The Turing Test

I started this game without really knowing what it was, I'm just going through some of the shorter games available on PS Premium. I enjoyed it to a point. It's an out and out puzzle game featuring 70 rooms that you need to work through. It was easy right right up to the final 5 levels that really ramped up the difficulty level. I had look at a walkthrough for certain parts although I am generally pretty poor at out and out puzzle games. The plot is ok too although it's fairly throw away.

Far cry 6 - PS4

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

The Quarry - PS4

Horizon zero dawn - PS4

Fifa 22 - PS4

Resident evil village - PS4

17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    22. Stray - PS5
    32. Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX - PlayStation 5

Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX

A remaster of the Sega Master System game, it's a fun and surprisingly challenging platformer at times. I actually struggled on a couple of levels but this remaster gives unlimited continues unlike the original. It only takes a couple of hours to complete.

I am enjoying playing through these shorter games.

• Advertisement

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC
    55. MegaMan 2 |Gameboy
    56. Resident Evil 3 (Remake)|PC

Resident Evil 3 (Remake)

Well this was quite the disappointing game after the modern classic that is the Resident Evil 2 remake. All the elements are there for the game to be another classic but it's just unsatisfying. While it retains the same core gameplay as the Resi 2 it's just not as tightly designed. Each area is a miniature hub but none are as satisfying or as large to explore as the Racoon City police department. And while 'Nemesis' is in the title of this game he is no where near as satisfying a foe as Resi 2's Mr. X. Combat with the new enemies also isn't as satisfying with the Hunters and giant fish enemies not a patch on the lickers and other nasties from Resi 2. Some areas from the original game were also cut leaving it feeling quite slight although my own play time wasn't too far off my playtime of a Resi 2 scenario.

Resident Evil 3 isn't bad, just disappointing that it failed to come close to the brilliance of Resident Evil 2 Remake. It's still worth playing especially at the discounted prices it now goes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The trouble with the playtime is that even though it's roughly the same length as RE2, with RE2 you have Leon and Claire playthroughs to do which don't vary as much as in the originals but are still different enough to warrant another playthrough. RE3 doesn't really have that.

Still a fun game but misses a lot of what made RE2 Remake so great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'm just after replaying RE 2 after playing it a few years ago, and this is spot on. Just finished Leon and I want to jump right in to Claires story, similar as it is. RE 3 was a once and done, and I never had much interest in speed runs etc

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC
    55. MegaMan 2 |Gameboy
    57. Clock Tower|SNES

Clock Tower

Well here's a very interesting game. Clock Tower is a horror game that arrived late on the SNES in 1995 but never saw a release on in the West. It predates the horror game boom started by resident evil by a couple of months. Clock Tower was developed by Human Entertainment who made some very esoteric games that defied established videogame genres and expectations. Clock Tower is no different. It's a point and click horror game for the SNES and it pretty much succeeds in being both.

Clock Tower takes a lot of inspiration from Dario Argento films, in particular Phenomena. Said inspiration sometimes crosses over into the realms of copyright theft than homage. You play as Jennifer (obviously based off Jennifer Connelly from Phenomena) who is one of 4 orphans from Norway brought to the mansion of their new adoptive parent Simon Barrows by his associate Mary. The excitement is brought to an abrupt end when Jennifer goes looking for Mary, hears a scream and returns to find the 3 other children gone. It's up to Jennifer to explore the Mansion and uncover the true horror of the Barrow's Mansion.

Jennifer explores the mansion using a point and click interface that has been well adapted to the SNES controller. While you move a cursor around the screen and can move Jennifer with it or interact with objects, you can also make Jennifer move using the shoulder buttons, a quick double tap of which causes Jennifer to run. This works quite well considering the action elements of the game. During exploration Jennifer is stalked by a deformed child wielding a giant pair of scissors. He can appear through random events and during these chase sequences all Jennifer can do is run away and try and find a room where she can hide or hinder the 'Scissorsman'. These sequences are genuinely terrifying and due to the random nature of the events which have multiple outcomes they can surprise you with unexpected outcomes even if you use the same methods of escape. One play through might have you evade the scissorsman in a locked bathroom where another will have him smash through the door.

Jennifer doesn't really have health but her 'adrenaline' is tracked by the colour of her portrait in the status bar. As this goes into the red Jennifer will trip while being chased or will have more chance of being taken out in one attack from the scissorsman. Some sequences where Jennifer gets caught up in a struggle, denoted by her portrait flashing, will require the player to mash a panic button to escape. While death can come quickly the game isn't mean about it and will let the player instantly continue from close enough to where they last died.

If you are going into this game I'd recommend going into it cold and wouldn't look up a guide unless you are stuck, which unfortunately can happen due to the nature of the genre. I did miss a key due to not pixel hunting enough in a room and the end sequence of events isn't quite clear. Why I recommend going in cold is that the game is full of optional events that can occur in each playthrough which can drastically change the ending you get and how NPCs die or, if you are lucky, live. There's a large variety of these optional events and jump scares. The game even randomises the placement of some rooms each playthrough. It's kind of fun to see what each playthrough brings before reaching for the walkthrough to get the optimal ending. It's well worth seeing through to the bonkers end sequences which are pretty wild experiences!

In terms of presentation the game looks and sounds great. The animation is wonderful and the mansion is well realised. The sound team have done an excellent job. While there's very little music the atmospheric effects lend a creepy atmosphere. The silence is well juxtaposed to the chaos of the scissorsman's theme letting you know that you are being stalked and in very real danger of ending up on the wrong end of some very sharp scissors.

Clock Tower is a really interesting and unique combination of point and click with really effective horror. It suffers from the same complaints as other point and click games although I'd say this one is much less egregious than the likes of Monkey Island 2. If I had to nitpick it's that some actions like climbing stairs take far too long but it's really very minor when the game is so entertaining. I'll leave it with an image of me hiding from scissorsman and about to be discovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. The Artful Escape (Xbox)
    2. Yakuza like a dragon (Xbox)
    3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    5. The Procession to Calvary (Xbox)
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)
    7. Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
    8. Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox)
    9. Carrion (Xbox)
    10. Exo One (Xbox)
    11. A Plague Tale: Innocence (Xbox)
    12. Elden Ring (PS5)
    13. Trek to Yomi (Xbox)
    14. Guardians of the Galaxy (Xbox)
    15. Empire of Sin (Xbox)
    16. The Forgotten City (Xbox)

Very enjoyable mystery game made by only 3 people. I finished it in one sitting I was so engrossed. Highly recommend for those interested in Roman or Greek history

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC
    55. MegaMan 2 |Gameboy
    57. Clock Tower|SNES
    58. Deep Fear|Saturn

Deep Fear

Deep Fear is a very late release for the Sega Saturn. It was the last release for the Sega Saturn in Europe in June 1998, would get a japanese release a month later and would never be release in the US, which probably contributes to it's obscurity. Outside of a late release of Resident Evil and some horror titles like Alone in the Dark 2 and Enemy Zero the Saturn was pretty anemic when it came to horror games compared to the glut of games in the genre on the PS1. Deep Fear was created to fill that gap although it only released right at the end of the saturn's life cycle.

Deep Fear takes place on an underwater military submarine refueling station. A US submarine collects a top secret NASA project that has fallen into the mariana trench and when the sub goes to dock with the refueling station all hell breaks loose. A strange virus has gotten on board the facility and is mutating the crew into dangerous human sea creature hybrids.

Deep Fear seems initially like a standard Resident Evil clone but it has a few unique features that differentiate itself. Ammo and health rationing isn't as big an issue as ammo and small health items can be replenished indefinitely in certain rooms. As a result the game feels closer to Dino Crisis 2 than a straight resident evil game. The fact the game takes place deep underwater feeds into the gameplay. Most rooms only have a limited amount of oxygen represented by a counter in the top right corner. Firing weapons will reduce the counter faster. Once the air runs out you switch to a respirator which has a very limited supply of air. Some sections take place in flooded areas and require the respirator and only permit a weak weapon to be used. However you walk in these sections instead of swim which looks a bit silly. You also have a supply of air grenades for use in emergencies, setting one off replenishes the air in the room. While this mechanic sounds like it could be stressful I never really had much of an issue with it.

Combat in the game is mostly fun. Aiming is a lot more finnicky than in Resident Evil and faster enemies can cause issues. As a result the shotgun is king in this game with it's wide cone of fire. Boss enemies are disappointing, being mostly damage sponges that are difficult to avoid. I really liked the enemy designs here, they're all gross sea monster mutations of humans or animals.

The story is the usual b-movie hokum but it's compelling enough. The voice acting, in traditional survival horror fashion, is awful. Somehow it's worse than Resident Evil. Line delivery is awful, actors fluff lines, the dialogue is terrible and one character is a very offensive camp caricature. It does have one innovation that Bethesda games would later implement in their games, there's a single voice actor that is very obviously voice all non story critical NPCs. The first disc of the game is a lot of fun. It's got a very linear progression as you move from one mini-hub area to the next. The game falls down a bit in the second disc where you have a to backtrack through previously finished areas trying to find the right character or trigger point to move the game forward. A FAQ is very useful here.

Graphical this is one of the most impressive Sega Saturn games. It's more than a match for PS1 games at the time and sits somewhere between Resi 1 and 2. There's a lot of CG cutscenes that are impressive for their time, it's a big step up from Panzer Dragoon Saga where the CG quality was pretty ropey. There's not a lot of music during gameplay, it mostly plays during cutscenes, but what music there is is incredible. It's a real standout. Sega somehow managed to nab the composer from the Ghost in the Shell anime movie and they do some stellar work here.

Overall Deep Fear is a fun survival horror that doesn't quite reach the heights of Resi or Silent Hill. It uses the underwater setting well and does enough to differentiate itself from other games in the genre. Not a bad game to try if you've played all the other 32-bit classic horror games.

17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    22. Stray - PS5
    33. Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy - PlayStation 5

Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy

I enjoyed this somewhat but it's not without it's problems. I found it too long, I don't think a game like this needs to be almost 20 hours long. The CONSTANT chatter between the characters gets annoying very quickly. Admittedly some of the jokes are funny but there is no need for constant talking all the time. the combat is also very simple with most of the variety coming from unlocking new powers but these are aren't varied enough for me. There is very little strategy and you just end up spamming the abilities of the other Guardians. The plot is fun though and there's plenty of spectacle, I just hope if they make a sequel that they tone down the constant talking.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC
    55. MegaMan 2 |Gameboy
    57. Clock Tower|SNES
    58. Deep Fear|Saturn
    59. Detention|PC

Detention

Well this was an excellent indie horror title. Developed Taiwanese studio Red Candle games, Detention takes place in a school setting in Taiwan during the 60's while the country was under martial law. Well it is initially because it doesn't long before this game gets all kinds of weird and fucked up.

Silent Hill was obviously a massive inspiration for this game. The shifting environment is straight from the silent hill playbook, the storyline relies on the same unreliable narrator structure as Silent Hill 2 and the music is very evocative of Akira Yamaoka's scores for the franchise. Detention however certainly has it's own voice. The Taiwan setting is a fascinating look at a piece of history I was ignorant of and it weaves a dark tale that explores themes of how abuse and oppressive regimes can damage people.

Mechanically Detention is a point and click game with puzzles more in line with survival horror games rather than the obscure pixel hunting and trial and error of some games in the genre. It's a lot more logical and you'll never be stuck for too long. While there's no combat in the game there are enemy encounters which are genuinely terrifying. Holding your breath to get past some enemies is particularly effect just to excellent sound and visual design. Speaking of which the sound design here is absolutely stellar.

If you want to play a horror game this Halloween season I suggest checking this one out. It's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Don't know if you're aware but they turned it into a series that's on Netflix. I keep meaning to play the game and watch the series.

• Advertisement

17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    22. Stray - PS5
    33. Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy - PlayStation 5
    34. Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game - PlayStation 5

Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game

I never got to play this when it was originally released but I'd heard good things about so it's great that it's available to play again.

It's a fairly short and simple side scrolling beat em up that's fun to play through once but that's about it. I was actually going to give up on it after 30mins as the game was incredibly slow but once you build up your stats and unlock some more moves then it improves.

Nothing special really.

Advertisement