Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Batman arkham knight - PS4

Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus - PS4

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

Guardians of the Galaxy - PS4

The Quarry - PS4

Sniper elite 5 - Xbox one

Horizon zero dawn - PS4

As dusk falls - Xbox series s

Fifa 22 - PS4

Resident evil village - PS4

Resident evil 4 - PS4

House of Ashes - PS4

Battlefield 1 - Xbox series s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

I'm a little late to the party this year, but here goes.

Call of Duty: Black Ops II XBOX 360

It was only alright. I know people rave about this game but it's really not a patch on the first one. you can kind of see the beginning of the downfall of COD as we delve into experimental future tech gizmos. that strategy/base defense minigame was nice but we didn't see too much of it.

Colin McRea Rally 3 XBOX

A nice rally game and a hell of a lot better than that awful 2008 one, but it still doesn't surpass SEGA Rally from 1995

Call of Duty: Ghosts XBOX 360

I fully expected to hate this game, but i actually enjoyed it. the dog stuff was barely used and the plot twists could be seen from space, but it was alright. maybe it was really buggy when it came out but based on the campaign, it doesn't really deserve the hate. weird cliffhanger ending.

Call of Duty: Black Ops III XBOX ONE

I really don't know what to make of this game. you feel like they're going for some sort of warning about the advancment of technology but the themes only recieve the shallowest of discussion. there were boss fights, sort of, so that was nice.

Call of duty: Modern Warfare (2019) XBOX ONE

Jesus. i installed this thing, then it wouldn't let me play without installling warzone, then a multiplayer pack, then two seperate texture packs. I must have had the bloody thing 18 hours before i finally got to shoot something. once I actually got going though, the gameplay was fantastic, it looked great and had a decent story to tear through. It plays more like a re-imagining than a straight up remake and has me looking forward to MW2 to see if things play out the same or differently. lots of screen tearing on the cutscenes.

Far Cry PC

Fcuk this game. fcuk it! between enemies that are next to impossible to see in the jungle to bullet sponges that can both instakill you and leap across to room to hit you, this game was awful. it's like it was designed by sado masachists just to toy with the players. it looks lovely but it's monstrously unbalanced. the gunplay was so-so as well. I know games are supposed to offer a challenge but this was rediculous. for instance, i was driving along in a jeep and kept getting shot at. i couldn't see from who and eventually discovered i was bieng sniped by a guy who was further away than the draw distance! no wonder I couldn't see him! the most fun thing i did was deleting this POS from my hard drive!

Soul Calibur V XBOX 360

A nice fun fighter to settle myself after far cry! yeah, i know it's got loads of strategies but sometimes i just like to button-mash and that works just as well. I had forgotten the controversy over this one until i played as Ivy and...jesus! Someone's been getting inspiration from the DOA games!

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Mad Max [PS5] - This is a truly excellent and underrated game. It's open world with batman like melee combat although much more impactful and brutal. Try not to grind too much. I did initially and started to get bored but once I stuck to the main missions and side quests I really started to enjoy it again.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy [PS5] - Went in to this game with little to no expectations and boy was I surprised. It was a blast. Your typical uncharted fare but condensed into a shorter game. The main characters work well together and the graphics are simply eye candy. If you are a fan of the Uncharted series and were mulling over getting this then take my advice and go for it. It's an excellent game.

Assassins Creed II [PS5] - This is a 13 year old game now and it shows its age graphically and with clunky controls which can be infuriating at times. But that aside this is a brilliant game with a great storyline and memorable characters. I enjoyed this so much and I would thoroughly recommend this to anyone. 

Assassins Creed Freedom Cry [PS5] - A short spin off from Black Flag(which I haven't played) about slavery and piracy. A very enjoyable game with beautiful graphics and some very poignant moments. I'd recommend it if you're into assassins creed.

Assassins Creed Brotherhood [PS5] - The second game of the Ezio trilogy and another excellent game, this time set mostly in Rome. Graphically improved from AC II and with some cool features such as training your own assassins amongst others. Highly recommended on my part.

The Wolf Among Us [PS5] - If you've played a tell tale game before then you know what to expect. This is definitely one of their best. Featuring well known fairy tale characters with a twist. Murder, violence and an intriguing storyline are the order of the day here. I truly cannot recommend this enough. It keeps your attention until the last seconds.

Yakuza 0 [PS5] - More people need to try this franchise. It's an absolute blast. I love the storyline with Japanese gangsters and side quests that range from the utter bizarre to the downright hilarious. Do yourself a favour and give this series a try.

Assassins Creed Revelations [PS5] - The final offering of the Ezio trilogy and in my opinion probably the weakest. It just fell short of the other two but that does not make it a bad game by any means. It brings Ezios storyline to an end and is still a great game in its own right.

Far Cry 5 [PS5] - Another great addition to the Far Cry series although a slog at times as some areas are very samey. Looks beautiful though and the addition of companions of various abilities does help to shake things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

God of War (2018) | PS5

Went through a bad few months in my personal life so I just lost all interest in beating any games until now.

My pal was playing Ragnarok last week and I kinda felt a bit of FOMO as a result, so I decided to go back and beat God of War '18 a second time.

The game still remains one of my favourites of the last generation. The combat still feels punchy and satisfying as all hell. Playing on PS5 was a nice wee treat as well, all the little bits they upgraded made it feel like a current gen game.

I didn't bother with any side quests this time around. Stuck it on the easiest setting and powered through it on NG+.

Ordered Ragnarok on Amazon last night so it should be here today. Can't wait.

This is the first time I've been able to sit down, play some games and actually have fun again. Feels good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Games Beaten 2022

1. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (Switch)
    2. Operation C (Game Boy)
    3. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy)
    4. Castle of Illusion staring Mickey Mouse (MD)
    5. Tiny Toon: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)
    6. Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)
    7. Earthworm Jim 2 (MD)
    8. Metal Slug Advance (GBA)
    9. Contra Hard Corps, NTSC-J ver. (MD)
    10. Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA)
    11. Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)
    12. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
    13. SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Milllenium (NGPC)
    14. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
    15. Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (GBA)
    16. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)
    17. Air Zonk (PCE)
    18. Monster World IV (MD)
    19. Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (WS)
    20. Dragon Warrior 1 (GBC)
    21. Wendy Every Witch Way (GBC)
    22. It Takes Two (PS4)
    23. Burnout Paradise (PS3)
    24. Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)
    25. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Switch)
    26. Katamari Forever (PS3)
    27. Pokemon Moon (3DS)
    28. Beautiful Katamari (360)
    29. Dead Rising (360)
    30. Alice: Madness Returns (360)
    31. Dishonored (360)
    32. Dishonored 2 (PS4)
    33. If Found (Switch)
    34. Dragon Quest XI S (Switch)
    35. Inazuma Eleven 3: Team Ogre Attacks (3DS).

I hated 90% of the choices Level 5 made with this game. It's charming and fun, sure, but it gets drowned a fair bit with the amount of unskippable cutscenes. The actual JRPG/Football Sim underneath is better than ever — when they let you play it, that is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy
    8. Shantae|Gameboy Colour
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    11. Monster World IV|Megadrive
    12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough|PC
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    15. X-Com 2: War of the Chosen|PC
    16. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts|SNES
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    19. Castlevania: Dracula X|SNES
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    21. God of War Ascension|PS3
    22. Kirby's Dream Land 2|Gameboy
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    24. Quake: Dissolution of Eternity|PC
    25. Final Fantasy Legend|Gameboy
    26. For the Frog the Bell Tolls|Gameboy
    27. Trails in the Sky: the 3rd|PC
    28. Call of Duty: Ghosts|PC
    29. Wonderboy: the Dragon's Trap|PC
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    31. God of War: Ghost of Sparta|PS3
    32. Lemmings|PC
    33. Quake: Dimensions of the Past|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    35. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile|PC
    36. MakaiMura for WonderSwan|WonderSwan
    37. Ninja Gaiden (Game Gear)|Game Gear
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    39. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition|PC
    40. Baroque|PS1
    41. Alien vs. Predator (1999)|PC
    42. Professor Layton and the Lost Future|Android
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    46. The Guardian Legend|NES
    47. Contra: the Alien Wars|Gameboy
    48. Megaman: Wily's Revenge|Gameboy
    49. Barkley, Shut up and Jam: Gaiden|PC
    50. Night Trap|PC
    51. Gargoyle's Quest|Gameboy
    52. Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC
    55. MegaMan 2 |Gameboy
    56. Resident Evil 3 (Remake)|PC
    57. Clock Tower|SNES
    58. Deep Fear|Saturn
    59. Detention|PC
    60. Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade|GBA
    61. Quake: Dimensions of the Machine|PC
    62. Toki|PC
    63. Hakaiou: King of Crusher|PS1
    64. Marathon|Mac
    65. Megaman 4|Gameboy
    66. Crankin Presents Time Travel Adventure|Playdate
    67. Joe and Mac: Caveman Ninja|Arcade

Joe and Mac: Caveman Ninja

Credit fed my way to the end but counts as beat to me!

I always had a thing for this game. I found the premise of a Caveman Ninja hilarious as a young 'un, and the big gorgeous sprite and amination work caught my attention in arcades. The massive screen filling bosses were very impressive as well

In a story that would never pass muster today, a group of rival cavemen capture all the women from Joe and Mac's village and it's up to them to traverse a historically incorrect prehistoric land to rescue them. Along the way they will face evil cavemen and other prehistoric creatures.

There's not a lot to Joe and Mac. It's a left to right side scrolling platformer along the lines of Ghouls 'n Ghosts except way more chaotic and less rigidly designed. Joe and Mac have a range of prehistoric weapons to throw at enemies. Holding the attack button down will spin their arms to charge up a bigger projectile, although holding it down too much will tire them out and freeze them in place for a few seconds. Their jump is augmented with a super jump activated by holding up before jumping.

The stages are quite short and all culminate in some very impressive for their time boss fights against huge enemies. There's a few auto scrolling and horizontally scrolling stages to break things up and a few points in the game allow you to pick between different routes leading to a bit of replayability. While the game is difficult it's also quite fair with bosses and enemies sticking to patterns that can be avoided if you learn them. The game's health system is a bit like Wonderboy in that you have a life bar you top up with numerous food items but the health meter is really a hunger meter that ticks down with time. It's more a mechanic to hurry the player up than to screw them over.

Overall Joe and Mac isn't anything special but it's a fun little distraction that also has a great two player mode. Well worth trying out. It's had numerous ports to other systems which are all worth trying out. The SNES version is quite a different game expands on the arcade stages to make them longer while the Megadrive version sticks closer to the arcade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

1. Operation C (Game Boy)
    2. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy)
    3. Castle of Illusion staring Mickey Mouse (MD)
    4. Tiny Toon: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)
    5. Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)
    6. Earthworm Jim 2 (MD)
    7. Metal Slug Advance (GBA)
    8. Contra Hard Corps, NTSC-J ver. (MD)
    9. Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA)
    10. Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)
    11. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)
    12. SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Milllenium (NGPC)
    13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
    14. Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (GBA)
    15. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)
    16. Air Zonk (PCE)
    17. Monster World IV (MD)
    18. Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (WS)
    19. Dragon Warrior 1 (GBC)
    20. Wendy Every Witch Way (GBC)
    21. It Takes Two (PS4)
    22. Burnout Paradise (PS3)
    23. Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)
    24. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Switch)
    25. Katamari Forever (PS3)
    26. Pokemon Moon (3DS)
    27. Beautiful Katamari (360)
    28. Dead Rising (360)
    29. Alice: Madness Returns (360)
    30. Dishonored (360)
    31. Dishonored 2 (PS4)
    32. If Found (Switch)
    33. Dragon Quest XI S (Switch)
    34. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (Switch)
    35. Inazuma Eleven 3: Team Ogre Attacks (3DS)
    36. Attack of the Friday Monsters! A Tokyo Tale (3DS)

Late contender for GOTY — short, sweet and a lot of fun. It plays like a lovely mix between A Short Hike, My Neighbour Totoro and **** Gwent of all things. Looking forward to getting my hands on the rest of Level 5's Guild series before the 3DS eShop closes down.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Attack of the Friday Monsters is a little gem. Absolutely adored it. I really want to play the new Shin Chan game which is part of the same series. The first in the series should be getting a fan translation soon.

The Guild series are all great. My favourite was Crimson Shroud. It's a very short Matsuno RPG that looks like a D&D game which has excellent writing and a stunning Hitoshi Sakimoto soundtrack. There's one flaw, an item drop you need to progress is at the halfway point has stupid requirements to get it, I'd advise a FAQ for it but it's the only sore point. It has a new game plus mode that's worth doing to get the true ending.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I loved this game on the SNES back in the day. Never managed to beat it on my own but I did manage to be beat it playing co-op with my brother. The boss battles make the game really and it looked great back in the day.

Yeah the SNES port is a lot of fun with the expanded levels and world map.

• Advertisement

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC
    55. MegaMan 2 |Gameboy
    57. Clock Tower|SNES
    58. Deep Fear|Saturn
    59. Detention|PC
    62. Toki|PC
    64. Marathon|Mac
    65. Megaman 4|Gameboy
    68. Master of Darkness|Master System

Master of Darkness

Master of Darkness is a pretty late Master System game, releasing in 1992. It also had a Game Gear version which is slightly different, some changes were made to accommodate the smaller screen.

Master of Darkness has you play as Doctor Social as he searches London for Jack the Ripper. However he soon discovers that supernatural forces are at work behind the scenes and that Dracula may be involved.

Master of Darkness is pretty much Sega's take on Castlevania. It verges on blatant plagarism but in this case I'm ok with it because it's a damn fine Castlevania clone. In place of a whip doctor social starts with a weak short range knife which can be upgraded to a lump hammer, rapier or axe. Unlike Castlevania there's no set weapon upgrade path and you can if you are unfortunate pick up the terrible starting knife. There's also a variety of subweapons that function just like the subweapons in everyone's favourite Belmont featuring series.

Platforming is handled in much the same way as Castlevania, right down to how stairs work. There are some minor changes. You still have some control over your jumping arc once in the air and Doctor Social can jump off stairs, unlike certain Belmonts. Level design is pretty good with some great set pieces and some nice puzzles. There are times when the game veers away from the strict linearity and presents the player with some small mazes to be solved (the last stage is a particularly tricky one to figure out). It's a very good looking Master System game and has some excellent PGM music.

While the game never hits the heights of the Castlevania games it's still one of the best 8-bit action games and a standout in the master system library.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

You are going to run out of games soon @Retr0gamer !

It's a lot of smaller games really. Need to start getting back into rpgs!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5
    11. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    12. Desert Child - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    13. Ben 10 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    14. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PlayStation 5
    15. Battlefield 4 - PlayStation 5
    16. Sea of Solitude - PlayStation 4
    17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    18. Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - PS3 on PS5 (PS Now)
    19. Shadow Warrior 3 - PS4 on PS5 (PS Now)
    20. Dysmantle - PlayStation 5
    21. Far Cry Primal - PS4 on PS5
    22. Stray - PS5
    23. Erica - PS4 game on PS5
    24. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Little Hope - PS5
    25. Ice Age: Scrat's Nutty Adventure - PS4 game on PS5
    26. Ghost of Tsushima - PlayStation 5
    27. Deliver Us The Moon - PlayStation 5
    28. Observer: System Redux - PlayStation 5
    29. Spider Man: Miles Morales - PlayStation 5
    30. Observation - PlayStation 5
    31. The Turing Test - PlayStation 5
    32. Alex Kidd in Miracle World DX - PlayStation 5
    33. Marvels Guardians of the Galaxy - PlayStation 5
    34. Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game - PlayStation 5
    35. The Artful Escape - PlayStation 5
    36. Outlast: Whistleblower DLC - PS4 game on PS5
    37. Lost Words: Beyond the Page - PlayStation 5
    38. The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan - PlayStation 5
    39. My Friend Pedro - PlayStation 5
    40. Prey - PlayStation 5
    41. R-Type Final II - PlayStation 5
    42. Crash Bandicoot - PlayStation 5
    43. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice - PlayStation 5
    44. Mafia 2: Definitive Edition - PlayStation 5

Mafia 2: Definitive Edition

I never played the original Mafia 2 back in the day but although I enjoyed the game you can tell that it's on older game due to the fact that the open world is fairly pointless as there is nothing to do in it. It simply serves as a time wasting exercise as you drive from point a to point b in order to do the main story missions. I really missed the 'skip drive' option that was available in Mafia that allowed you to automatically arrive at your destination.

I also think the plot was better in the original game, the plot in this one is every Mafia cliche thrown into one game.

I've heard bad things about Mafia 3 so I might play something else before playing that one.

Even at the time mafia 2 was heavily criticised for the pointless open world. It got roasted in reviews over it.

You really don't need to play mafia 3.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC
    55. MegaMan 2 |Gameboy
    57. Clock Tower|SNES
    58. Deep Fear|Saturn
    59. Detention|PC
    62. Toki|PC
    64. Marathon|Mac
    65. Megaman 4|Gameboy
    69. Stalker: Clear Sky|PC

Stalker: Clear Sky

The original Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is for me an all time PC great. It was a very delayed, over hyped and rushed game that arrived half baked and buggy with poor performance issues. Despite everything going against it it managed to rise above its issues by being an utterly compelling experience. The bleak dereliction of the soviet era frozen in time in the Chernobyl exclusion zone mixed with the hard sci-fi of Tarkovsky's Stalker was intoxicating. The enemy AI and weapon field are still some of the best in a FPS and lead to some of the best firefights in any FPS game. It provided some genuinely terrifying emergent moments with its excellent enemy design and lighting. It was all capped off with an excellent hard sci-fi narrative with an excellent ending.

Clear Sky feels more like an expansion pack than a true follow up. It uses the same engine as the first game and many of the areas are reused. Any new areas from the game were salvaged unused areas from the first game. The game at launch at least was priced more like an expansion so can't really hold that against it. Clear Sky takes place as a Prologue to Shadow of Chernobyl. Clear Sky adds to the base game of the original. Weapons and armour can now be upgraded. 'Emissions' have been added that send the weather crazy and force the player to find shelter before the Power Plant unleashes power that kills anyone left out in the open. Artifacts are now way more difficult to obtain, being invisible and only detectable with an equipped detector. They only appear once you get close enough, which is easier said than done when most are in radioactive anomaly fields.

The big addition to the game is faction warfare. Various factions you can interact with in the game are at war with each other and these wars will be constantly taking place in the background. You can join in to gain standing with the factions and earn money. It's a nice idea that didn't really work in the original release (it's sort of fixed in the fan mods). However the constant calls from factions to help eventually become background noise as you focus more on the main storyline.

I played the game with a mod that fixes bugs, makes factions work better and improves the visuals. However there's just something off about Clear Sky compared to the original. The story just isn't as compelling with a rather finale that becomes more standard shooter with a weak ending. There's more focus as well on the faction and human combat. The underground missions of the original are almost entirely missing and they are sorely missed. They were by far the best thing about the original, being filled with terrifying creatures and breaking up the game nicely.

While I might come off as overly harsh on Clear Sky I still really enjoyed it. It's just tough following up on one of the best PC games ever made. The game is still a bit of a technical mess. Could not get it to run above 30 FPS and I had constant tearing despite v-sync being on. I guess it's such a good experience that I still soldiered through it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭apache

I'm not a big gamer because I get annoyed when I get stuck and tend to leave it so I've completed very few games.

But halfway through the last chapter of Alan Wake. I will feel an achievement in completing it. Any other games out there like that?

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES
    45. Trip World|Gameboy
    50. Night Trap|PC
    53. Space Manbow|MSX2
    54. Blue Reflection|PC
    55. MegaMan 2 |Gameboy
    57. Clock Tower|SNES
    58. Deep Fear|Saturn
    59. Detention|PC
    62. Toki|PC
    64. Marathon|Mac
    65. Megaman 4|Gameboy
    69. Stalker: Clear Sky|PC
    70. Die Hard Arcade|Saturn

Die Hard Arcade

Die Hard Arcade was one of the first belt scrolling beat'em up in 3D. I was blown away by the game in the arcade. While the graphics weren't anywhere near as nice as Sega's Model 2 games, the sheer insanity on display enamoured me to it. Die Hard Arcade takes the gameplay of the likes of Final Fight or Streets of Rage and turns the nonsense up to 11.

There's a big focus on weapons here. You can get ammo for your pistol but alo pick up machineguns, Anti tank rifles and quad barrel rocket launchers. There's even a little bit of inventory management as getting a lighter turns the deodorant spray can weapon into a flame thrower. Even when you aren't armed the main characters are hardly helpless. The controls are much stiffer than compared to the likes of Capcom or other Sega brawlers. This can be frustrating for new players but the game actually plays somewhat like a 1 vs 1 fighter like Virtua Fighter. You have a whole heap of moves to learn that keep the game fresh and open up so high level play. You can even arrest enemies if you can grab them from behind while equipped with a gun for a massive score boost and a OHKO. It's a very short game, coming in at under 30 minutes, but there's a lot of depth which makes it the perfect arcade game. The two player mode ramps up the fun and introduces coop moves as well as a 1v 1 fight at the end to gain the president's daughter's appreciation. The game also has QTE cutscenes that if successful can skip some fights. It could well be the first instance of QTEs as they predate Shenmue.

The Saturn conversion is pretty much an arcade perfect conversion of the arcade game. Not surprising because the Arcade board is the ST-V board which is basically a cartridge based Sega Saturn. That's kind of it's best and worst feature. As mentioned, Die Hard Arcade is a very short game and I'm sure some people felt a bit of regret buying this game realising it was so short. However there's a lot of replay value here and it's a blast in 2 player. There's no extra modes or features, just the base arcade game. The game is very tough due to its arcade origins so you won't be beating it easily with the default continues. Sega did include a conversion of one of their earliest games, Deep Scan. Playing deep scan earns you a credit in the main game every 200 points and it's pretty easy to rack up a huge number of credits to take into the main game.

Despite being a slight game when taken out of the arcade setting, Die Hard Arcade has enough depth and a brilliant 2 player mode to make it worth owning. It's one of the better beat'em ups of the era but doesn't quite hit the heights of the likes of Revenge of Death Adder or Capcom's arcade Alien vs. Predator.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

A Plague Tale: Requiem - ps5 - Much better than Innocence imo, Innocence was a good game but I found it really frustrating in parts, in particular the final boss.

Cyberpunk 2077 - loved every minutes of this, did everything and got the play, 80 hours in total I think, bring on the expansion.

Last of us - ps5 - first time playing this, what a fantastic game, did not see that ending coming.

Skyrim - ps5

Guardians of the galaxy - ps5 - really loved this, loads of laugh out loud moments and characters mentioning things from the comics that you would recognize if you read them.

trails of cold steel 2 - ps4 - fantastic game, loved the ending.

trails of cold steel 3 - pc - again fantastic game, a little drawn out, spent 133 hours with it, a real cliff hangar of an ending.

MARVEL'S SPIDER-MAN REMASTERED - ps5 - fantastic game

STRANGER OF PARADISE: FINAL FANTASY ORIGIN - ps5

A plague tale: Innocence- ps5

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

The Gardens Between on PS Plus Extra.

Simple to control puzzle game.

Also got my third platinum with it since was quick enough to do what was needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox Series X
    3. Halo Infinite | Xbox Series X
    4. Sifu | PS5
    5. Horizon Forbidden west | PS5
    6. No more Heroes | Switch
    7. Elden ring | PS5
    8. Inscryption | Steam deck
    9. Deathloop | PS5
    10. Death's Door | Xbox Series X
    11. Mafia 1 Definitive edition | PS5
    12. Call of Duty: Vanguard | PS5
    13. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance | Gamecube
    14. Triangle Strategy | Switch
    15. Persona 5 Royal | PS5(PS4)
    16. Ori and the Blind forest | Series X
    17. Modern Warfare 2 | PS5
    18. Divinity 2 Original Sin DE | Steam deck

Divinity 2 Original Sin DE

Very late to the game on this one but was recommended it by a friend. Amazing Crpg with so much choice and agency as the player. Its very very long though. Its a meaty CRPG with a lot of systems, but the fantastic quests and well written story it is well worth going through.

Think I wrapped it up in around a 100 hours. In between GOW R sessions. I am still only halfway finished that but I have family over at the minute so that has taken a back burner.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Pentiment

I’m not sure how I’d rank this game. I love the concept, I love the style, I love the writing, I love the unrivalled authenticity in the depiction of a small medieval town.

However, the game mechanics unravelled for me the more I played. It’s a murder mystery that deliberately never gives you enough information - you get multiple characters with means and motive and no alibi, but never any hard evidence. This seemed clever at first but it started to dawn on me that all the potential culprits are equally probable and all you can ever do is guess and you don’t really feel like you’ve deduced anything or made a smart decision in the end.

Gathering evidence got tiresome the more I understood the mechanics too as I got in the habit of revisiting every single screen and speaking to every single character again whenever time moved forward, because otherwise you can miss things, not that it really matters that much if you do because no hard evidence ever exists for you to find, just more hearsay and rumours.

The third and final chapter meanders quite a bit too and takes what felt like a long and unnecessary detour from the main plot, though it did come back to a satisfying conclusion thankfully.

Im glad I played it, it’s probably the best game on Gamepass all year and certainly the most interesting, but it didn’t quite live up to the expectations I had from the wonderful first impression it made in the first few hours and it was definitely feeling like it outstayed it’s welcome towards the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

God of War: Ragnarök || PS5

Much meatier than the previous game. My biggest gripe was that I felt it went on too long. There are certain sections of the game that I believe we're dragged out way too much - it was unnecessary. I heard some people calling this instalment rather bloated, and I can see where they're coming from.

Having said that, I still enjoyed my time with it. I prefer the story of GoW 2018, if I'm being honest, but that doesn't mean Ragnarok's story is bad, or even that much worse, I just liked the story beats, as well as the twists, a lot better. Ragnarok has plenty of twists and surprises, though.

Gameplaywise I can't say too much that I didn't already say about the prequel. It plays pretty much the exact same with a few extra mechanics added in.

A worthy sequel nonetheless, but I'm also glad it didn't win Game of the Year. Yeah, some innovations were made, but not enough to warrant that.

Having said that, if it's not broke - don't fix it, and this game still plays fantastic.

Doubt I'll go back and do any side stuff. The fact it took me over 30 hours to get to the ending - I'm burnt out.

I'll probably go back and do more once NG+ comes out.

Gone Home. Finished it in like 2 hours. What's that all about?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I thought it was good. What's left of Edith Finch is another game that is both short and similar and a good game too.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Batman arkham knight - PS4

Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus - PS4

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

Guardians of the Galaxy - PS4

The Quarry - PS4

Sniper elite 5 - Xbox one

Horizon zero dawn - PS4

As dusk falls - Xbox series s

Fifa 22 - PS4

Resident evil village - PS4

Resident evil 4 - PS4

House of Ashes - PS4

Battlefield 1 - Xbox series s

Steep - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Transformers Devastation - PS4

Liked it. Short action game but even though it's short, it still got a bit repetitive.

I shouldn't complain as I don't finish many games. Just thought it was very short. Any other non stressful games out there like it?

• Advertisement

Loads. The genre is walking simulator.

Night in the woods, vanishing of Ethan Carter, firewatch and Stanley parable would be good ones in the genre.

I'd also highly recommend Soma but it's far from non-stressful.

Advertisement