Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

GAME: Super Metroid

PLATFORM: Nintendo Switch

I am absolutely exhausted. That game was absolutely huge - bigger than Zero Mission, I think (makes sense since ZM was based on the original game).

Clear time says 6 and a half hours. I've seen people beat the game with 100% items in half that time (I got 76%). I'll never do it myself but nevertheless this was an experience like little other. The fact this was achieved on a Super Nintendo is baffling to me. I never grew up playing games like this - I didnt even know they existed. I have played Super Metroid lots of times but never went ahead to beat it, and as such I never even imagined it to be as big as it was. It's astonishing how a game has this much content yet there are games made today that aren't nearly as deep.

I had an incredible time playing this. Samus Returns is still on my radar for a purchase, so in the meantime I've picked up Fusion on the Virtual Console for Wii U. I'll be jumping into that tonight, likely. This is making my anticipation for sticking on Metroid Dread even higher. I bought that game already but refused to play it until I got a taste of the others. Safe to say I'm a Metroid fan after playing this.

Unreal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Samus Returns is good and all but the fan Metroid 2 remake called AM2R is incredible. Worth playing both.

Also Super Metroid is a lot smaller than you realise when you get to know the game and run it faster! But it's a great illusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

First time posting on the new forum got past 42 games last year which I think is a good shtab at the backlog.

My first completion is

1.Guardians of the Galaxy | PS5

Highly enjoyable and short game, loved the humour in it was a bit too easy per combat, kinda reminded me of a dumbed down version of ff7remake.

Between Halo infinite campaign and wasteland 3 via game pass on series x.

Can't believe wasteland went under my radar its so funny and has a real fallout vibe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭brady12

finished the order 1886 lately aswel and i loved it . only regret was i waited so long to play it thanks to years of negativity .

GAME: Metroid Fusion

PLATFORM: Wii U

This one wasn't my favourite instalment, I have to say.

Not sure I was a fan of the linear style. The story was good, though... from what I could follow, at least. There was a character they kept mentioning throughout the game, and I was confused as to who it was, so in terms of that, I wasn't following that well. I've seen people regard this as their favourite Metroid game. I thought it was fine. All the Metroid tropes are here but it felt like... "Metroid Lite" in a way. I tried to explore but there were a lot of times I was locked out of areas because I had to progress through the story. People told me it opens up near the end but by that point, and picking up the Screwattack, I didn't see any point afterwards. So I just blasted my way to the end and I beat it in under 4 hours. Item collection rate was 47%, I wasn't that fussed to do everything here.

I'm eager to jump into Dread now, but I might give AM2R a quick go first to see how it plays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Monster Hunter Stories 2

Finished the campaign in this last night. Fantastic game, really enjoyed the mix of turn based combat with a Monster Hunter twist. Big fan of MH and JRPGs in general so I had high expectations of this and it didn't disappoint. I've never played the Pokemon games but I really enjoyed the process of collecting monsters in this, although I've not got into the fusing/Gene combo side of things yet, but it looks like that's only really necessary in the post game.

Campaign is surprisingly good. It was the type of game that, when I had no clue what I wanted to play I could reliably put it on and always have a good time without taking things too seriously, just feelgood gaming. Couple of minor gripes like the lack of music when exploring dens and such, but battle music was pretty great once you get into a fight. Also they brought back the annoying mechanic of needing hot/ cold drinks that they got rid of in Rise but again only a minor thing.

Apparently a very decent and meaty post game in this so will definitely be getting back to that after a wee break from it and get stuck into the serious side of it.

Happy to have 2 games completed 2 weeks into the new year. Gonna try tick an short and sweet indie off the list now I think. Will hold off on Post Game in MH Stories 2 for a bit cos if I get stuck into that I won't be finishing much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

GOTG.

Boring hell. Found myself skipping most of the cut scenes after a while. Not sure how it was so well received.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In keeping with the very latest games I finished Prince of Persia Warrior Within and Project Zero 2 Wii.

Both started last year and PoP was a replay

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The Artful Escape Xbox series X

Yakuza like a dragon Xbox Series X

I finished Yakuza 3 & 4 and loved them. When I seen the trailer for this I thought it looked goofy and stupid. But the main story is actually brilliant and quite serious. The side stories are completely bonkers though. 50+ hours later and finished it and I never would have tried it if not for game pass because the trailer put me off so much.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC

The Outer Wilds

Just an incredible experience and I feel really stupid waiting this long to play it. The way it plays with physics, space and time is ingenious and exciting. It's one of those games that could only be done in videogame format as opposed to the usual stuff from Rockstar desperately aping contemporary cinema.

I'll definitely be tackling the DLC soon.

• Advertisement

I meant to give that game a go last year and completely forgot to play it for whatever reason. I might try it later this year if I can remember this time.

GAME: Metroid Dread

PLATFORM: Nintendo Switch

Phwoa, that was fun.

100% Items

11hrs 38mins

Proabably much less than a lot of people would've got but I'm happy with mine. I enjoyed the ever living hell out of this.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy

Kid Dracula

This is a little gem of a game.

There's two games in the Kid Dracula series, a famicom game that never got a western release on the NES and this gameboy game which is kind of a remake of the famicom game designed around handheld play but also acts as a sequel. Kid Dracula is a parody game of the Castlevania series in the same way Parodius is a parody game of the Gradius series. It's full of irreverent humour and amusing homages to Castlevania and other Konami games.

It's a 1993 game made while Konami was at the height of their game development skills. While Kid Dracula is a parody of the castlevania series it actually plays more like a megaman game as you have a projectile attack that you can also charge up. As you finish stages you get new abilities and while some of these are new attacks, some of them grant new abilities like walking on the ceiling or turning into a bat that really open up the gameplay possibilities in each stage and lends itself to some really fun and inventive stage design.

The stages are a good bit shorter than the NES game to facilitate the handheld nature of the game but each one feels unique and brings a twist to the standard gameplay. The music is upbeat and catchy and there's some tricky boss fights. It's a difficult enough game but this is offset by a password system and infinite continues. You can also pick up a rake of lives in the between stage bonus games. So while it can be challenging it's never that aggravating.

One of the best platform action games on the gameboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]

Halo 3 ODST

Good game. It's my second time playing it. I played it on release years ago. It's a bit different than other Halo games as you do not play as Master Chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,101 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Miles Morales done, including all the side missions, apart from the crimes.

Liked it and will be picking up the next one when it comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Everhood

Undertale like indie, with interesting rhythm game style battles, except you have to dodge the music notes instead of hitting them. Soundtrack is banging and visuals are nuts at times. Very off the wall humor. Hard enough too, I had no issues putting this on easy for some of the battles.

Guacamelee

I've had this for a good while on Xbox but picked it up for a few quid on Switch recently and finished it on that. Great metroidvania that I'm sure I'm very late to the party on. Must pick up number 2 in the next sale.

Thats 4 games off the backlog since the new year. Doubt I'll be keeping that pace for long though. Nice to get a few completed. Think I'll start into Death's Door on Game Pass now. Loving me some indies the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭passatman86

Championship manager 01 02

Completed it mate

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

GTA 3 Definitive Edition, PS4.

A nice trip down memory lane and probably haven't played it in, I dunno 17 years i'm guessing. I didn't even plan on playing it through - loaded it up and was like I remember this... i'll play a few missions! The last mission is so awkward but managed to get through it. It's nice to have it on PS Now as I wouldn't buy these "remasters" - but certainly worth a playthrough if you got the subscription to the service.

I do remember Vice City always being the better of classic GTA's so i'd be curious to see how well it holds up. But it isn't available on Now or GamePass. But San Andreas is on GamePass so why not give it a bash next. I was reading that while development on GTA: Vice City started directly after GTA 3 release in October 2001, it was only a handful of people and development did'nt really kick off until January 2002. So they whacked it out of it in 9 months they said. Impressive. Even considering the engine was already there.

Games completed so far:

• Battlefield 4, xbox one.
    • GTA3 Definitive Edition, Ps4.

That, and the fact, in its baby stages, it wasn't even going to be a full game - it was going to be an expansion to GTA III. Glad they made the decision they made in the end.

more*..... a lot more* than a lot of people would've got. People speedrun the shite out of this game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Trails of cold steel 2 - ps4

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PS4)

2. The Outer Wilds (PS4)

What an experience! I knew of the 22minute loop limit before starting and thought it might become off-putting, but it never did. When you see how it plays into the environments of each planet, it makes perfect sense, and once you get to grips with movement and navigation it doesn't take long to get back to where you were, plus you don't have to keep doing everything over and over again. If anything the time limit helps you get out of areas and is easier than backtracking. Sometimes I even just purposefully ran out of oxygen or threw myself from a height or whatever.

Each planet has its own intricacies and design, and can still throw up surprises after a dozen visits when you thought you saw everything. I focused on one planet a lot at the start and tried to explore and find everything, but discovered some things much later that opened up whole new important areas in it.

The puzzles are very clever but never feel insurmountable. There does feel like a lot of dead ends though, where you can repeatedly be focusing on one puzzle or area because it feels like there's more to it, and the ship log is saying there's more to discover, but that can often just be a bit of minor information.

Controls are very simple, with the only difficult bit being getting used to landing the ship. Several of my trips even towards the end were very short. But because it is so quick and easy to travel to most places restarting is never that big a hassle, and a lot of the time you land on a planet once and will spend so long exploring that you don't go back to the ship anyway.

It's always a thrill when you discover something huge, something that you know opens up brand new ideas and areas. The game is also trippy as f*ck in places and some of the puzzles, even though they make sense by the time you do it, if you had to explain to someone how to do it you'd sound like a looper.

The only real criticisms I'd have are some of the environmental hazards such as cacti and ghosts. Most are fine and easily avoidable, but some areas require tricky jetpack movement and jumps which is always more difficult in first-person. There are also some things that will just knock you away so hard that you end up in space or smashing hard into the ground.

Overall an incredible experience though. I was definitely wary at the start, but once you've visited each planet once or twice there's just something which compels you to explore more.

I really have to give that game a second chance, I didn't get it at all first time.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5

Mass Effect: Legendary Edition

I've never played any Mass Effect game before so when I say that the Legendary Editions were available in EA Play I signed up to give them a go.

I really enjoyed this game, it took me around 37 hours in total to get the platinum, although it certainly was not without it's faults. I'm sure almost everyone has played this before so there's no point in going into the gameplay but there are a couple of points I want to make.

Firstly the Mako controls are awful. I read that they have been improved from the original version so I dread to think what they were like in that! The various planets are almost identical bar some very basic graphical changes. They really needed to be a little more diverse. The major criticism I have though is the endless reams of dialogue! On and on and on with far too many dialogue options. I ended skipping all optional stuff from the mid point on as it bored me to tears.

I've started the second game and it's quite different so far, not necessarily in a good way. The Galaxy Map is very annoying with it's probes and fuel requirements however I'll reserve judgement until I've finished the game.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC

The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye

Fantastic expansion to an already fantastic game. I went into this totally blind so the initial reveal of the new area was a real wow moment. It's such a stunning environment to explore. The puzzles again are very well thought out. I might have had to look up a few clues but the clues were right there in front of me.

It's pretty much essential to play this if you are going to play Outer Wilds, it's so good. Wonderful ending as well.

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]

Control

Good game I enjoyed it but I played it wrong I completed the main game without doing any side quests but played them at the end so I missed out on two abilities and a tonne of upgrade points as you get them for doing side quests.

At the start I thought it wasn't going to be good as it was a bit weird but I soon got to like the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Was Control not brutally difficult without padding your stats with sidequests?

No I found it ok. I actually found it harder playing one or two of the side quests especially the one where you go underground collecting mould samples and then you fight this big monster but got through it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. The Artful Escape (Xbox)
    2. Yakuza like a dragon (Xbox)

3 The Gunk (Xbox)

Fun platformer. Hoovering up the gunk is strangely satisfying. The relationship with your friend seems to get unnecessarily angsty towards the end, didn't really suit the game imo

4 Psychonauts 2 (Xbox)

Fantastic platformer, best since Mario Odyssey, the level design is brilliant. Never played the first one.

5 The Procession to Calvary (Xbox)

This was bonkers. It's a short point and click adventure set in the middle ages with the world made from cut-outs of famous paintings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

1. Shady Part Of Me (PS4 on PS5)

2. Adam's Venture: Origins (PS4 on PS5)

3. The Order 1886 (PS4 on PS5)

4. A Short Hike (Switch) - made the mistake of trying this docked, the pixel nature looks awful on big TV. Tried again on handheld and its an absolute delight. Lovely little feel good game, part adventure/puzzle/platformer, essentially working you way up a mountain to get a mobile phone signal. Many quirky characters along the way, you'll finish the main story in probably one session, but there's a few mini games to bring you back to it. Well worth a few quid and a few hours

Advertisement