Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Procession of Calvary has been on my to play list for ages. The trailer had me in knots.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

1. Ender Lillies - Quietus of the Knight
    2. Monster Hunter Stories 2
    3. Everhood
    4. Guacamelee

Borderlands 2

Have this on 3 platforms and finally managed to finish it out on the Switch. Great game as looter shooters go. I used to really enjoy the genre but really only dip in and out of them now. My only other Borderlands experience is playing a bit of the first and BL3 but I haven't finished one out until now. Main villain makes it and from what I understand its kind of the opposite in BL3. Claptrap is a pain in the hole though. Don't think I'll be diving straight into TVHM, may do a few DLCs at my leisure though. Have a decent momentum going on ticking games off the backlog so far this year and want to keep that going so TVHM can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd recommend Mr.Torgue's and Tiny Tina's DLCs at the very least (the others are good, but not great). Torgue's is also fairly short. As for TVHM, it kinda depends on who you're playing as. Slag starts to become more and more important the further you go, so if your playstyle doesn't use much slag, it might not be that worth doing. There are new variations and tougher enemies, but it also doesn't take as long to go through as you don't have to do as many side missions and you know where you're going and what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. The Artful Escape (Xbox)
    2. Yakuza like a dragon (Xbox)
    3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    5. The Procession to Calvary (Xbox)
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)

You're bald. You kill people.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PS4)

2. The Outer Wilds (PS4)

3. The Forgotten City (PS5)

Amazing. A quite short and easy story-based game with very little action, but I really enjoyed the story, characters and figuring out the puzzles.

Only took about 6 hours for full ending, as once you start to figure out what you need to do it's pretty easy to rush through most of it. But at least the game allows you to forego too much repetition.

I'll not say much more because I went into the game pretty blind as it was just the name of a game I saw being mentioned here a good bit, and I'd recommend going in blind. But I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

I'll definitely try the DLCs at some stage. Right now I'm happy enough to free up a juicy 21gb on my Switch and load up some more games in the backlog. I stumbled into the Tiny Tina DLC at one stage but was way under leveled for it. Played campaign as Anarchy Gaige, which apparently is easy mode but I still had to do a bit of grinding to get by especially on second last chapter where the diffictily shot up significantly.

3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)
    7. Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)

Why has there not been a boxing game released in 11 years? Surprisingly the boxer share feature still works so you can download all the created versions of newer fighters for free. Career mode is a massive pain in the ass, making you fight with one hand or defending for six rounds etc.

Getting image rights for boxing games must be tough

Apparently there's one coming out this year called eSports Boxing Club. Hopefully the game is better than the terrible title.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I feel like an eejit not only asking this but derailing the topic...

but;

How do you decrease the line spacing when typing on this? I feel like every time I hit enter, the line spacing is way too big.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I don't fully understand what you are asking but what think you are asking is on this new version of boards when you hit enter it creates a big spacing. But when you are doing ordered lists(with the numbers) it automatically does not add a space when you hit enter.

You nailed it. That's exactly what I was referring to.

And thanks. I had no idea.

1. Thanks for your answer
    2. Ah, that's better.

😂

Carry on, people.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox series X

Wasteland 3

This was an unexpected marvel, one of my friends that I play Halo infinite online with recommended this to me, had an absolute blast with it reminded me of fallout the original but with very offbeat and bizarre humour, I love a good strategy game like xcom and this was tough enough, Also you choices had a large impact on the world and the DLC was well worth it also.

Halfway through halo infinite campaign which is great I think, takes me back to being a young lad

How long was Wasteland 3 play through? I started it a while back but only a couple of hours in and got distracted. I enjoy cRPGs but their a big time investment. Last one I finished was Divinity 2 and that was 100hrs or more

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

I did do all the side quests and DLC, I think it was around the 40-45 hour mark,

Very good, do look up how to get decent builds though as there are so many skills it can get overwhelming.

The battles can be very tough.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES

Illusion of Gaia

Quite disappointed in this one. It's regarded as one of the best Action RPGs of all time and I found it had a lot of issues was just merely a good game rather than the all time great it's held up as.

Illusion of Gaia is made by Quintet who made Actraiser and then followed that up with their 'Heaven and Earth' trilogy on the SNES. Illusion of Gaia is the middle game of that trilogy between Soul Blazer and Terranigma. While Quintet games are usually pretty strange takes on the action RPG genre that leave progress quite open to the player, Gaia is a very linear game with not much in the way of RPG mechanics. Despite a world map there's very little reason to move between areas, you are just going from town to dungeon to town.

Gameplay is your standard hack and slash affair. You are encouraged to kill all enemies in an area, not only because some will open up the way forward in the dungeon but because killing all enemies will upgrade one of your stats and its the only way to level up in the game. Enemies that are killed will also stay dead. The game actually makes good use of this mechanic with some puzzles being based around finding those last few enemies. Dungeon quality varies wildly. Some are a slog while others are well designed with some fun puzzles. One annoying thing is later in the game finishing a dungeon doesn't teleport you out and instead you have to make your way back which can often be more confusing with the lack of enemies.

There's a really interesting story in illusion of gaia that covers some very dark subjects. There's slavery, suicide, lose. There's a real melancholic feel to the game. And this is all spoiled by a really ropey translation. By the end of the game I was none the wiser to what happened and had to read up on it and the melancholy is ruined by some bad attempts at humour by the translation team. People die or lose loved ones and the people close to them get over it in seconds or don't seem to care. I've heard Illusion of Gaia being described as the first time JRPGs got 'pretentious' and was a precursor to the convoluted stories seen in PS1 era RPGs. Hell there's even an ominous comet heading towards earth.

However it wouldn't be right for me to blame the stories failings on the translation and 'everything is better in japanese'. The game does have one of the most unintentionally funny scenes ever. Late in the game the kids are captured by starving african war children that try to cook them for food. Then during this headscratchingly racist moment a characters pet pig Hamlet sacrifices themselves by jumping on to the fire. It's not helped that interacting with his roasted corpse informs you that the air smells of roast Hamlet.

One annoyance with the game is that there are 50 red jewels to be found in the game. The majority of these are missable and you will need all 50 to enter a bonus dungeon with a secret boss fight with one of the bosses from Soul Blazer. The game came with a walkthrough so these would be easy enough to find but playing it now with no manual you will need a walkthrough to find them. However, don't bother. It's a nice extra but not worth it.

Graphically the game is gorgeous with some stunning pixel art and nicely animated main character. The music is pretty good as well although tracks get repeated a lot and can grate towards the end.

So Illusion of Gaia is a fun if occasionally frustrating action RPG which leans heavily on action and can barely be called a RPG. It's a good game but I wouldn't call it essential.

3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)
    7. Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
    8. Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox)

God of Bore. If I bought an Xbox One for this I wouldn't be happy. Very arcadey gameplay, especially when you're using one of the turrets it's like you're playing house of the dead. It wasn't long being a small mercy

That's an insult to house of the dead.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy

Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3

The two Gameboy mario land games were always kind of weird. Youcould feel that Nintendo R&D1 wanted to be a bit more adventurous with their games but where constrained by making the mario games recognisable to the Mario games by Nintendo EAD. Their follow up to Mario Land 2 puts that game's antagonist Wario in the lead role and R&D1 have a lot of fun with this character.

The first wario land game never strays into complete subversion of the platforming genre like later wario games. The game runs on the Mario Land 2 engine, feels like a Mario game but Wario operates on this own rules. Wario is a brute and can stun enemies by just bumping into them. He can bash through obstacles in his way. His power ups are very different to Mario's. As a result Wario is a more aggressive and powerful character to Mario. If you play Wario Land start to finish like a traditional platformer then it's a rather easy game. However that isn't the main goal.

Wario has lost his wealth and his main goal is to collect as much coins as possible. There's also hidden treasures in some levels that can be found that are worth huge sums of gold coins. Wario Land is more about exploring each level fully and finding hidden coins, treasures, levels and at one point a whole hidden world. The ending you get depends on how many coins you finish the game with.

Wario Land was a game I initially found hard to get into. I never got past the first 2 or 3 stages as they seemed a bit slow and uninteresting. However I'm glad I stuck it out because after the initial few stages Wario land becomes far more inventive and that Nintendo magic is present in every stage.

It's a great little platformer that is sadly over shadowed because of the incredible sequels.

• Advertisement

GAME: Pokémon: Brilliant Diamond

PLATFORM: Nintendo Switch

Bought this game on impulse a couple of weeks ago. The final encounters with the Elite 4 were exhausting. It took me three attempts to do it (the game retains your EXP even if you fail, so it's a good grinding incentive as well).

The last Pokémon game I ever "beat" was Pokémon Y. When I use quotations, I mean I just rolled credits and turned it off - never went back to it. Sold the 2DS I used at the time along with the game and never thought much of it. Apparently that's a big no-no in the Pokémon community.

The games truly open up in the end-game, so that's what I'm going to fart around in on this. I'm not truly done but I am happy I got the main game beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

In fairness, Pokemon Y hardly gave much incentive to hang about after the credits. It actually heralded the age of Game Freak thinking a post-game was a bougie luxury we no longer deserve, with a brief reprieve in Ultra Sun/Moon. They then decided to start selling the post-game as DLC with SwordEx/ShieldEx. Champions lads, so they are.

I know. It sucks. I forgot they added post-game as DLC with SwSh but does it still lack a NatDex? Pretty sure it's still without a huge number of 'mons

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy
    8. Shantae|Gameboy Colour

Shantae

I played the limited run release of this on the switch. Glad I finally had a chance to play this even if I didn't love this game. Shantae was a very late GBC game that came out when the GBA had effectively replaced the system. Although it was WayForward's first game after they restarted their game production, they had a hard time finding a publisher for years as the cart size necessary for it was a massive 32 mbit cart. It meant the game became very rare and commanded high prices. It was bandied about as a hidden gem on the system but like what happens sometimes with these games, the game's rarity made people exaggerate how good the game actually is.

Although this was WayForward's first developed game, it wasn't their first published game after they restarted game production. Shantae really feels like a game from a first time developer with loads of ambition but lacking experience in actual game design, whereas their first two published games actually feel way more polished.

Many people call Shantae a metroidvania, and it is in a way but I find it's closer to Wonderboy 3: The dragon's Trap. It has a similar world layout (an overworld that loops on itself interspersed with dungeons) and the abilities you gain in both games transform you into various animals. The developer has said that this influence is organic as they hadn't played Dragon's Trap and I kind of believe them as Dragon's Trap doesn't make the same mistakes as this game.

There's some really basic game design flaws here. Areas are way too big and take too long to traverse with infrequent checkpoints. Enemies are also really annoying to fight and take way too many hits to kill meaning you are better off avoiding them. You transform into various animal forms by dancing which is a neat gimmick but slows the game down. It takes an awful long time to gain your first transformation and many of the abilities that allow you to attack in these transformations are hidden and also don't appear until you've nearly finished the game making them useless. There is fast travel in the game but it relies of you finding very well hidden items in the games four dungeons which is very frustrating. The game just doesn't have the polish or pacing of better designed games.

What the game is well known for is its technical prowess. I can safely say this is one of the best looking games on the Gameboy Colour, looking better than a lot of Megadrive and SNES games. The developers were animators by trade and all the enemies and characters are beautifully animated. There's great variety in the stages and they all look great. They manage to pull off some impressive hardware tricks as well, faking transparency effects and multiplane parallax scrolling, effects that shouldn't be possible on the GBC. The music by Jake Kaufman is fine. He channels the music of 8-bit micro machines like the C64 and while it's impressive, there's nothing that stands out. Jake would go on to much better things such as the Shovel Knight soundtrack.

Overall, this is a game you can safely ignore for the later Shantae games which are a massive improvement. It's a technically impressive game that's a good first effort by WayForward. They would later become much more competent developers creating some of the best modern 2D games. Their spin off studios would give us the likes of Yacht Club Games and their Shovel Knight series.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

I'm a little perturbed by how similar ours list might end up looking. I've got Operation C and Wario on the go, with Shantae on the tap. Moving on to Megaman Xtreme, if you want to make a race out of it like.

Sadly so. Hard to believe this is the same company that released such rich and deep entries like Plat/HGSS/BW/BW2 in the space of 4 years to barebones churn we've been getting recently. I've not played PLA but all indications it continues the trend of being a promising game held back by Game Freak deciding there'd been just enough put in to make it worthwhile, and not an iota more. Or, y'know, more likely, a big crunchy deadline.

I'm guessing someone got an Analogue Pocket as well? :D

I'm a bit megaman'ed out after the slog of Megaman and Bass. I'll get around to Xtreme but as I only beat MMX and MMX2 last year I'll probably move on to X4.

GG Shinobi is my next Pocket game.

Pocket Go, baby. Not made of money.

1. Ender Lillies - Quietus of the Knight
    2. Monster Hunter Stories 2
    3. Everhood
    4. Guacamelee
    5. Borderlands 2

The Forgotten City

Enjoyed this one. Small enough play area so the loops are easy to manage and I wasn't nearly as lost as I was when playing Outer Wilds (which I need to get back to). Story unfolded nicely and game is pretty short. Really enjoying the short and sweet type games right now and been playing indies a lot the last few months. Playing Artful Escape at the moment and its really good so far. Using the Cloud side of Game Pass which is pretty awesome so far, especially for tipping away on these kind of games.

3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)
    7. Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
    8. Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox)
    9. Carrion (Xbox)

You play as as some strange organism with tentacles and teeth everywhere. This game feels like it was made for serial killers. It's disturbing how upsetting it is hearing the innocent scientists scream in terror and how numb you get to it after a while... Does that say more about me? LOL. It's kind of a metroidvania but it's too linear to call it one of those. There are some optional rooms with power ups you can go to at the end but I didn't bother.

• Advertisement

I got lost playing Outer Wilds too, apparently there's a diary or something in the ship that you can update? I hadn't a clue what to do

Advertisement