Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Yeah there's a log on the ship. I've made a bit of progress on it but just felt like I hit a bit of a wall with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I done everything in that game when I played it. Got 1000/1000 gamerscore pretty easily too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm raging I didn't go ahead with preordering that Pocket when it was announced. I was saving up to preorder it and then they announced its delay. Thinking it would've felt indefinite I didn't bother preordering it. Then when its release/near completion was announced I forgot it existed and no longer had the money to get it.

Now it's out, and now it's hard to get lol

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

There's a computer with the Ship Log in your ship, opposite the cockpit. It automatically updates when you find something. If you check it, it'll show a record of what you've found and there'll be an ! beside locations where there's more to explore.

I was well into the game before I noticed it, but it does make things easier to navigate as it essentially shows threads of information you've gathered to hint or advise of where you should go to explore further and key information that helps reveal what you should do or look for there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I won't rub salt in the wound by saying it's a transformative handheld experience and a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

1. Ender Lillies - Quietus of the Knight
    2. Monster Hunter Stories 2
    3. Everhood
    4. Guacamelee
    5. Borderlands 2
    6. The Forgotten City

The Artful Escape

More of an experience than else, there's no real challenge but I really enjoyed this one. Hadnt seen any reviews so I went in blind. Fantastic artstyle and the visuals are nuts. Visuals and humor at times made me think that this could easily have been made by the lads from The Mighty Boosh. Short game and I'm enjoying getting through these ones on Game Pass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy
    8. Shantae|Gameboy Colour
    9. The Forgotten City|PC

The Forgotten City

I think there's been enough written about how good this game is. It's just a brilliantly written time loop game with excellent writing and really great character interaction. Enjoyed this so much and it didn't out stay its welcome. Probably my favourite game from last year.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn

Bulk Slash

Gave this a go because I saw it's quite short and also there was a recent fan translation project for it.

Bulk Slash is a third person shooter/mech game from Hudson soft released exclusively in japan. You control a mech that can transform Macross style between a Mech and an aircraft. The mech is slower and less mobile but can deal out crazy damage with access to extra weapons and has a plasma sword melee weapon. The aircraft has access to homing missiles and is much faster than the mech although you will have to deal with the aircraft's constant inertia.

While the Saturn gets lambasted for having poor 3D performance compared to the PS1, you wouldn't think it when playing Bulk Slash. This game is a tour de force for the Saturn hardware. The game features large free roaming city scape levels with massive skyscrapers and all enemies are modelled in 3D. The game throws dozens of enemies at you and the level of destruction is off the charts. Each stage has an objective to complete before a boss arrives. These bosses are gargantuan and always a visual spectacle. Amazingly I never noticed the game once dropping frames despite the amount of mayhem on screen. There are a few technical concessions, the draw distance on buildings and enemies is quite low and you will see them pop in noticeably. Despite this the game is gorgeous for a 32-bit game. It's a riot of colour and explosions and is up there with the best the PS1 could offer. The game features some nicely animated anime cutscenes that are well animated and full screen (which is a bit of a rarity on Saturn as it wasn't nearly as capable with video as the PS1).

There's only 7 stages to beat and each has a 10 minute time limit so the game can be beaten very quickly. However it is a game that is made for multiple quick playthroughs and feels more like an arcade game despite only having a home Saturn release. There is some replayability in that each stage features a female co-pilot hidden in the stage. The co-pilot can direct you to your next objective and can also tell you where the boss is in relation to your mech during the boss fights. The ending will change depending on the co-pilot you finish it with.

While there's only 7 stages, there is great variety in them. The first stage is pretty simple, find 5 targets in the city and eliminate them but objectives quickly become more complex. The objectives can change from static targets to mobile fortresses. One level sees you navigating a maze looking for key cards. Another has you carrying bombs to place on an enemy super carrier while a space battle rages around you. They're all really fun and tightly designed.

Bulk Slash is one of those games that makes the Sega Saturn such a great machine to explore. It's full of hidden gems like this to discover and there's so many balls to the wall action games that just don't get made anymore.

Special mention must be made of the fan translation which went above and beyond. While the game is perfectly playable in Javanese with very little text outside of some mission briefing, the translation team have recorded brand new English dialogue and replaced the dialogue in the game and the cutscenes. I can only imagine the amount of work this took, especially working with the notoriously difficult Saturn.

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    8. Master Chief Collection: Halo Reach [Xbox]

Halo Reach

Great game my second time to play it. Played it at launch years ago. I was a bit disappointed when it finished tbh as I thought there was more to go as it was getting hectic with swarms of enemies which I liked and then I got on the big gun and achievements popped for end game and I was like what the hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I played and finished 'Return of the Obra Dinn' in January and it's one of those games that is so good it kinda ruins every other video game for ya. I would also put Soulsborne games and 'Disco Elysium' in this same category.

At the moment I'm currently playing subnautica and while I am enjoying it I'm also kinda hoping it will end soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Battlefield Hardline. Xbox one.

Not a bad battlefield game considering. Way better than 2042.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5

Mass Effect 2 & 3 Legendary Editions

I have to say that I really enjoyed both of these games with the plot being very good in video game terms. I think the series improved as it went with the little annoying things being gotten rid of. An example of this is scanning planets in Mass Effect 2 which was just tedious, this was made nice and simple in the third game.

All three suffer from having far too much dialogue but once I decided to skip all optional dialogue I found it ok. A really great trilogy of games.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

The Artful Escape - Xbox Series X

Does this even count as a game? It's a dazzling light and sound show that looks absolutely stunning, but it's a non stop assault on the senses so it kind of wore me out.

It's on Game Pass so definitely worth a shot. I. Wouldn't recommend paying much for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Half Life Alyx using the Quest 2.

Apart from finding out at about Chapter 4 that I had some settings in Virtual Desktop wrong which made the game very dark, I really liked this game and its use of VR.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox series X
    3. Halo Infinite | Xbox Series X

Halo Infinite

Finally got around to beating the campaign on heroic last night wasn't too difficult, lot of variety with weapons and the contracts were great fun.

Love the traversal with the grapple shot around the map was great, story wise it was okay didn't really make a lot of sense but its a major improvement on Halo 5 guardians anyway.

On the aspect of multiplayer I have played a ton of it but still can't get beyond diamond 3/4 rank in ranked I want that onyx rank for e bragging rights :P

Currently getting my ass handed to me playing sifu at the moment, have HZD on preorder and thinking about getting dying light 2.

1. The Outer Worlds [Xbox Series X]

2. Firewatch - [Xbox Series X]

3. The Artful Escape - [Xbox Series X]

4. Fallout 4 - [Xbox Series X]

So, this is a game I've dabbled in over the years but I always played a few hours, got bored and then stopped playing. I wrote it off as mediocre.

But this time I was determined to play it through, only doing the main quest, no settlement building, no side quests. Now my opinion of the game has definitely improved. The story really gets interesting the more you progress (story isn't amazing, but it's good), with some amazing set pieces and fairly intense battles.

By the end, I was really impressed by it all. The world is really something, and the soundtrack is so atmospheric and very subtle at times, often sounding like the creaking of a dead nation. Definitely a game to play with headphones on.

I think there are definite weaknesses to this game. First, it doesn't do a good job at immersing you into the world at the start. The beginning of the game is actually the weakest part, and you'd be forgiven for thinking that you're supposed to build settlements with the Minutemen, which is really boring and not mandatory at all. Also, the RPG mechanics are fairly shallow, which is disappointing considering how much this game gets right, better RPG mechanics would make this game a 9/10 imo.

But there's more story choice than people let on. I now think that this game gets unfairly hammered by fans. It's not a GOAT contender, but it was an enjoyable experience for me. It's a solid 7.5/10 for me.

If anyone hasn't played it and is tempted to, I'd strongly recommend just pursuing the main quest, regardless of who you side with (I went with The Institute, very fun) and just enjoy the story. Ignore the base building crap and the constant search for junk.

I enjoyed that game when I played it at release years ago. I just done the bare minimum of building. If I remember correctly I done just enough to continue the game. I forget now if it was a main mission or side mission where you had to build something.

One thing I didn't like about the game was the continuous fetch missions that were giving by certain known NPC's go there collect something and repeat. I done a fair few and realised this could go on forever so I stopped doing them. Still a good game though I thought.

They are the radiant quests, they are basically auto generated quests to give the player something to do when all other quests are gone. Same in Skyrim. They're best avoided.

• Advertisement

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    11. Monster World IV|Megadrive

Monster World IV

This is a very late Megadrive game that never made it's way out of Japan until it got surprise released on the PS3/360/Wii. There's also a recent 3D remaster of the game but I stuck to the original Megadrive version.

This game is a real hidden gem on the Megadrive library and it's baffling that Sega chose to pass it over for release in the West. I just the colourful and cute protagonist and graphics weren't in line with Sega's 'extreme' marketing of the time. It's a pity as it's a fantastic game that's also one of the best looking games of the 16-bit era. The pixel art is incredible and some of the technical effects are very impressive. The attract screen has a mode 7 style star wars text scroll and there's even some scaling effects later on, two effects the megadrive supposedly isn't able to pull off. The music is great as well. Some of the best music on the Megadrive and I love the little light motif that plays through most tracks.

In Monster World IV, Asha leaves her village to go to the city of Rapadagna where she uncovers a plot by evil forces to take over the city which she must foil. After the opening area and dungeon Rapadagna becomes a hub world of sorts where Asha can purchase new weapons, solve puzzles and open the way to the next dungeon. The game is sometimes mistakenly called a metroidvania but it is very linear with the player tackling a single dungeon before returning to the city to open the way to the next. Movement and combat is very much influenced by Zelda 2 but early on in the game Asha gains a pet Pepelogoo, a flying blue creature that is super cute. Asha and the Pepelogoo can combine their skills to aid movement by allowing Asha to hover and double jump. Pepelogoo is essential to solving the many puzzles in the game.

While I feel Monster World IV is a top tier platformer on the Megadrive, it does have some flaws. Save points can be a little too paced out meaning a death deep in a dungeon can send the player a long way back. The game also suffered severe cuts. It was meant to have a second protagonist and it's obvious some dungeons were cut. This manifests itself in the Ice Pyramid dungeon which goes on way too long and is basically three dungeons in one. Where Monster World IV stands out however is it's storytelling. While the over arching plot is quite cliche, Monster Worlds IV is a very early example of a game that tells its story through gameplay. I found myself forming an emotional bond between Asha and the Pepelogoo as they delved deeper into their quest. It's a game a little ahead of it's time in this regard and a recent indie game pulled the same tricks as Monster World IV but got the credit for being innovative.

Monster World IV is a great game that's on the verge of being brilliant. A few little frustrations hold it back. It's another example of Westone being well ahead of the curve in terms of game design innovation and again unfortunately not getting the credit for it.

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    8. Master Chief Collection: Halo Reach [Xbox]
    9. Master Chief Collection: Halo 4 [Xbox]

Halo 4

Great game I enjoyed this one more than all the others in the collection. Graphics must have been updated as I had to look it up and sure enough it was a Xbox 360 game. Looks and plays good enough to be a series X game. I played this on release back in the day but forgot it all.

Nice to be finished with the collection as there was a lot to get through. I may move onto Infinite soon.

You're really on a Halo run! I've actually moved straight to Fallout 3. I'll try to do all of the 3D ones... except 76.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    11. Monster World IV|Megadrive
    12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough|PC

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough

The second allied assault expansion arrived well over a year after the release of the first game. This one is pretty meh. Neither expansion lives up to the original which itself is pretty dated at this stage. Levels are quite ordinary with few of the setpieces of interesting levels of the original. This game takes place in the African and Italian theatres but the change of location adds nothing to the game and it feels very familiar. PC gaming was moving very fast during this time and when this expansion was released, Allied Assault was feeling very old.

Post edited by Retr0gamer on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Mafia 1 Definitive Edition.

One of those games that got away back in the ps2 days for me. It's great. Simply great. It's funny tho, while it has an open world like gta, the world is just the set piece. Like, i had no interest in driving around or exploring. But where this shines is the story. Really enjoyed it.

Previous Games completed so far this year: battlefield 4, gta3 Definitive Edition, battlefield hardline.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PS4)
    2. The Outer Wilds (PS4)
    3. The Forgotten City (PS5)

4. Sifu (PS5)

The brawler with a beat-em-up heart, and dreams of Sekiro's parry/deflect system.

The core gameplay is fantastic, and incredibly satisfying. It doesn't try to over-complicate things. Level design is pretty simple with the ability to unlock shortcuts as you advance further, aiding future runs. Though there's a risk/reward in that too as it means you might miss out on upgrades and XP.

You start at 20 and each time you die, you age based on your death counter (one year for each time you've died, but can be reduced by defeating special enemies). Again, this adds to the risk/reward, as taking the shortcuts through the level can mean you're likely to have died less in reaching the boss and therefore have more chances to defeat them, as dying several times in a row, particularly to bosses, can make your age start to ramp up dramatically.

Game design is incredible, with some tremendous level design. The Museum is a particular highlight during your first time through. Sound design works incredibly well too, both in terms of music and the audio of the combat.

The combat is hard hitting, and defence relies a lot on a mix of dodging (moving out the way of attack), avoiding (standing in place but matrix-ing to avoid attacks and leave yourself in place to counterattack), and parrying (blocking at the moment of impact). Like Sekiro's parry/deflect system with posture (in Sifu called Structure), it's all down to being able to read enemy attacks. However enemies attack much quicker in Sifu and the type of attack can be much harder to read. As a result, it misses the mark when compared to Sekiro.

There are issues I'd have with the game. The camera can be a nightmare. In particular, because so many of your defensive moves are based on directional input, the camera moving around doesn't help, and particularly when fighting bosses where the camera is kind of angled behind you, it's difficult to use the correct directional input. And if you get anywhere near a wall or column, the camera can royally screw you, especially as if makes it so difficult to read enemy attacks. Again, with bosses, this can be a huge issue. And with other games of its ilk, regardless of whether multiple enemies can attack at the same time or not, in Sifu there have been numerous times where an enemy off-screen throws a bottle or runs in and grabs you.

The upgrade system is also needlessly confusing. You have to buy an upgrade to use it in that run, but then have to buy it a further 5 times to make it a permanent upgrade. However, if you restart the level, even if you've paid for 3 of unlocks towards the permanent upgrade, the upgrade is locked again, meaning you have to unlock it, and then pay for the other 2 upgrades. With some of the higher priced upgrades you're better off doing a run solely focused on unlocking that permanent upgrade rather than progressing.

The age system can also be to the game's detriment too. You struggle against a boss, beat them, but if you've aged too much it's almost not worth progressing to the next level as 1-2 deaths means it over. So it can result in a lot of repeated runs trying to get your age/death counter down enough to make the next level worth it.

It can be incredibly frustrating to play at times, but the majority of the combat is just so satisfying and when you're in a proper flow, it's just sublime.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Trails of Cold Steel 2 - ps4

Guardians of the Galaxy - ps5 - absolutely loved every minute of it and hope they make another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. The Artful Escape (Xbox)
    2. Yakuza like a dragon (Xbox)
    3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    5. The Procession to Calvary (Xbox)
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)
    7. Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
    8. Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox)
    9. Carrion (Xbox)
    10. Exo One (Xbox)

Remember the game Tiny Wings on Mobile where you would roll up and down hills. Well this is the same but in 3d on different planets. It's around 2 hours long, worth a try. Very chill game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

1. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (Switch)

2. Operation C (Game Boy)

3. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy)

4. Castle of Illusion staring Mickey Mouse (MD)

5. Tiny Toon: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)

6. Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)

7. Earthworm Jim 2 (MD)

I'd like to thank Earthworm Jim 2 from effectively annihilating my affection for a franchise in roughly 4 or so hours. It cranks up the difficulty from the first for no immediately apparent reason beyond "lulz" and its genre-hopping goes from cute to tedious, especially when it doesn't seem to be wanting to hone any of its attempt at variety into anything, well, fun. Bascially, stick with the first one if you do find yourself craving a bit of Earthworm Jim fun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Advertisement