Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox series X
    3. Halo Infinite | Xbox Series X
    4. Sifu | PS5

Sifu

Finished this last night an absolutely sublime game, was an impulsive purchase and I loved every minute of it.

Level design is fantastic and the combat and the set pieces in the game are great word of warning it is very tough though.

I managed to get the secret ending and spare all bosses the last boss Sean second stage nearly broke me. But conquered it the better you get at the game the previous bosses do seem trivial but it is a hard learning curve and if you finish a level to old you are better off going back and completing it at a younger age. Best tip would be get the shortcuts for each level so even if you're older get to the boss of that level

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

1. The Artful Escape (Xbox)
    2. Yakuza like a dragon (Xbox)
    3. The Gunk (Xbox)
    4. Psychonauts 2 (Xbox) 
    5. The Procession to Calvary (Xbox)
    6. Hitman 3 (Xbox)
    7. Fight Night Champion (Xbox 360)
    8. Ryse: Son of Rome (Xbox)
    9. Carrion (Xbox)
    10. Exo One (Xbox)
    11. A Plague Tale: Innocence (Xbox)

I really enjoyed this apart from some incredibly annoying on-rails sequences that had me screaming at the TV. The gameplay is similar to The Last of Us but this game doesn't come with all the pretentious wankery. Looking forward to the sequel.

I have this on my Play Later on Game Pass. Ill give it a shot. Is it long?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

In keeping with playing the latest games again, just finished Vanquish on PS3. Was getting Binary Domain vibes off it at times. Good short game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vanquish is pure class.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Only two games so far for me this year:

PS4

Bloodborne: Loved it, but at the same time my gaming time is limited so used NPC and Co-op help on many of the bosses! Took care of the final boss myself at least.

Nintendo Switch

Yooka-Laylee: Not bad, not amazing. Passable 3-D platformer but felt so unpolished after playing Nintendo's first party efforts with Mario, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Yooka-Laylee: Not bad, not amazing. Passable 3-D platformer but felt so unpolished after playing Nintendo's first party efforts with Mario, etc....

Really I played that on release on PC a fair few years ago and then replayed it again on Xbox about 2 years ago and thought it was brilliant. I love 3D platformer games.

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    8. Master Chief Collection: Halo Reach [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]

Halo Infinite

Brilliant game and loved the open world part and collecting and killing everyone. One thing though I killed all high profile targets and never got the achievement. What ever is going on there. Overall a great game. I don't know what to play next as all my game time recently was Halo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5

I'm not sure why Mass Effect Andromeda has so much hate. It took me a little bit to get into the game as it is quite different from the previous 3 but once I settled in then I enjoyed it a lot. The biggest downside for me was that there are too many options for weapons, skills, augmentations etc. You've no idea what is good until you try it and this wastes a lot of research points etc. I understand that the game was broken at launch but I had no issues with it whatsoever.

Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil and Skyland: Heart of the Mountain are two other Artifex Mundi games that do exactly what it says on the tin.

Post edited by Kingp35 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭martineatworld

So since the start of 2022, I've beaten the following:

• The Walking Dead Season 1

Tried to get into this twice before but it stuck this time. Good story with simplistic point and click gameplay, I had spoiled the ending on myself before unfortunately. Easy playing, I'll probably continue with season 2.

• Halo 3: ODST

Have been going through the MCC instead of just skipping straight to Halo Infinite - I'd played Halo 1-3 before, so in deciding to do the whole series, this was the first brand new game. I didn't love the main hub area and the darkness of it, but the more normal levels were great, bite size enjoyable chunks of Halo.

• Halo Reach

At this point I realised playing the Halo's to catch up on plot probably wasn't the best call - found it a bit of a mess when I didn't pay attention during the cutscenes. More standard fare, I did find some of the later encounters to be a bit more trial and error than previous games, but an enjoyable few hours anyway.

• Pokemon Legands: Arceus

I really wasn't sure what to make of this from the trailers, and I found out slow to start, but eventually it gets into the satisfying loop. Some tough battles near the end. Haven't finished the pokedex, the space time distortions are a bit too random so will leave it as is.

• Diablo 3

Have only ever gotten to act 2 before - enjoyable looting fare - made the mistake of playing it on normal which is way too easy. And it took any of the desire I have to play the real game after the campaign!

• Mirrors Edge

Didn't like this - found it very trial and error. Looks great, and a nice length of a game but not for me.

• The Gunk

Easy to play, simple but satisfying. Not the best thing you'll ever play but a fine way to spend a few hours, think I bet it in three sittings.

Currently playing: Onimusha Remastered, Halo 4, Dead Cells, Walking Dead Season 2

5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]

Contrast

Good short game. Heard someone mention it online and then I seen it on Gamepass so I said I will give it a shot. It's a paltformer with some easy puzzles to solve. Mix of shadow puzzles and platforming in the 3d world..

5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]

Gone Home

I'm on a roll this year regarding completing games. This is another short game. After you complete it and know what to do you can beat it in just over a minute. It was an ok of a game.

5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]

Dear Esther

I only started this after the game above. It is short and you actually do nothing but walk and there are voice overs. It was alright I suppose.

If you like games where you press the thumb stick right for a few hours I'd recommend The Artful Escape.

I completed that game last year. I was just going through games I already own and never played and those two games above popped up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy
    8. Shantae|Gameboy Colour
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    11. Monster World IV|Megadrive
    12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough|PC
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch

Pikmin 3

Finally beating this game just confirms for me that I was right back in 2013, Pikmin 3 is a far better game than The Last of Us. Sorry haters.

Pikmin 3 is the last main entry in the series that Nintendo releases intermittently and is consistently brilliantly and consistently gets unfairly ignored. Even an appearance in smash and this excellent rerelease on a system that people actually own hasn't lead to the sales this game deserves. It's such a shame because Pikmin 3 is the strongest entry in the series yet.

Pikmin 3 keeps the same RTS-lite gameplay as the original game with only a few new additions. You now have control over 3 characters and can switch between them to divvy up tasks or solve puzzles. The red, yellow and blue pikmin have been joined by rock pikmin that do massive damage when thrown and can break hard surfaces, and flying pikmin that are weak bu are effective against flying enemies. While that gameplay hasn't changed much the complexity of the levels and challenges have. They are all really well designed and lots of fun. The randomly generated dungeons of Pikmin 2 are gone now but to compensate, Pikmin 3 is a much longer game and feels better designed than any randomly generated level ever could. The timed system of Pikmin 1 is back, you only have so many days to beat the game but the game is so lenient with this that it's really a false threat. I had well over 50 days left to complete they game by the end. And you can always return to previous days if you screwed up.

Pikmin 3 is one of the best games nintendo has produced in a long time. It looks great, the world is fun to explore and there's loads of side content as well to supplement a lengthy enough adventure. There's even multiplayer and co-op which I never got to try. If there's a tiny flaw it's that the main objective of finding fruit isn't as much fun as finding human thrash in Pikmin 2.

Bayonetta 2

Bayonetta 2 is pretty much Bayonetta 1 on steroids. It takes the first game, which was damn near perfect, and polishes it into one of the best action games of all time. There's a story here but that's not why you play the games. Bayonetta is still her overly cocky hilarious self, the action is over the top and hilarious and the combat is just sublime. Combat just feels so right and the new weapons are so much fun to experiment with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

1. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales (PS4)
    2. The Outer Wilds (PS4)
    3. The Forgotten City (PS5)
    4. Sifu (PS5)

5. Horizon Forbidden West (PS5)

If you've played the first, you mostly know what to expect. However, they've made numerous changes to both make things easier, and make things harder.

Several of the cheese strategies from the first game have been removed. You can only set a small number of traps/tripwires at a time, and you can no longer just whistle to draw enemies over to you to stealth kill or override, which means more often than not you're just going to be in the thick of it. Thankfully, combat has also been improved to help, with far greater and more viable melee attacks and better/more elemental hit points.

Resource management is greatly improved, though there can be too many component types or wildlife types to gather to upgrade/purchase weapons. Several other quality of life upgrades from the first game are here too.

The story is pants compared to the first one, and I can see why many might have issues with the first one too. The story and characters shine a lot more in the side missions, but even then it's mostly good, not great.

Most of the combat hasn't changed that much since the first game though. You'll still be mostly shooting arrows or throwing bombs, and while it can be tough as hell to hit those small weak points even with time slowed down, the enemy movements are still fast and erratic making targeting difficult. But when you hit those sweet spots, it's always fantastic. Some of the new ammo types felt underused and redundant though, and weren't worth using too much. Especially as it's hard to find bows/weapons with the right combinations of ammo types so you have a full or varied arsenal.

New weapons, I admit I didn't really try out. The spikethrowers and shredder gauntlet I only used in mission or hunting ground where I had to. Didn't even use the blastshot, and barely used the ropecaster or tripwires. I almost just completely used arrows, as managing different ammo types, resources and trying to collect components (which is far more vital in this game than the previous one) felt like a bit of a headache.

One of the main new things in this game though is the ability to swim underwater. On the plus side, some of the underwater areas look stunning, and it's also not overused too much. On the downside though, it adds nothing to the game. You can't fight underwater which means you're forced into underwater stealth sections, which is never a good thing. Plus some side areas where you have to collect greenshine in underwater caves, you can barely see them with your focus because everything underwater is blue so you can barely make out the green of the stone or the purple of the focus, and underwater movement is always just slow and horrible.

Performance-wise, a few visual glitches and bugs here and there. Twice I got stuck in scenery and had to load my save (autosave means didn't lose anything though). But the graphics are truly stunning throughout with some incredible locations and details.

They need to reduce how much Aloy talks though. It's constant, and it feels like every thought in her head must be verbalised. Even when you're clearly doing the thing in a puzzle you're meant to do, she'll mumble to herself about how it should work if she tries it.

Other minor gripes would be how long it takes Aloy to get up once knocked down, and the game often throws you into combat situations against the toughest machines with no time or space to scan the machine, tag parts etc. Tagging machine parts is vital against larger machines, to make sure you can tell which are chillwater canisters, purgewater canisters etc. You can get almost no time to properly scan and tag, especially as larger machines have so many different components to scan through.

Overall though, it's Horizon 2. The general gameplay is every bit as fun as the first and some of the new machines are real challenges, especially with the elimination of cheese strategies. Progression is fun with a revamped skill tree and skill points aren't tied to levels, so you can rack up skill points on side missions very easily. Traversal and movement is so much better with greatly increased climbing ability and the shieldwing so you can glide down from high locations. It also throws in more side content like machine races and a board game, which are okay, and thankfully not shoved down your throat either.

Thoroughly enjoyed stepping back into the world of Horizon. I imagine it has to be one of the top of the list for PS properties to become live service multiplayer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Mad Max [PS5] - This is a truly excellent and underrated game. It's open world with batman like melee combat although much more impactful and brutal. Try not to grind too much. I did initially and started to get bored but once I stuck to the main missions and side quests I really started to enjoy it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Games Beaten 2022

1. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (Switch)

2. Operation C (Game Boy)

3. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy)

4. Castle of Illusion staring Mickey Mouse (MD)

5. Tiny Toon: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)

6. Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)

7. Earthworm Jim 2 (MD)

8. Metal Slug Advance (GBA)

9. Contra Hard Corps, NTSC-J ver. (MD)

10. Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA)

Not often I hit GOTY candidates back-to-back, but Contra Hard Corps came out of nowhere for me to be the best run 'n gun I've ever played. I then stuck on Klonoa as something of a comedown and it's got my vote for best puzzle-platformer I've ever come across. Hopefully the rest of the year doesn't take a complete nosedive.

• Advertisement

Contra: Hard Corp is legit my favourite run and gun that isn't Gunstar Heroes. It's way better than the more widely celebrated Contra 3.

Not played the GBA Klonoa games but Jeremy Parish constantly bangs on about how they are just as good as the PS1 game. Must give them a go.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5
    11. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    12. Desert Child - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    13. Ben 10 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)

Three more games added to the list. Tiny Tina's was typical Borderlands fare but good fun. Desert Child and Ben 10 I picked from PS Now purely because I'm going on holidays and I wanted short game to play before I go. In Desert Child I managed to get the platinum, it's a very easy game trophy wise. It;s an odd mix of racer and simulation but it's very much an indie game. I think it was made by one person. Ben 10 is even easy to complete although some of the trophies are very difficult so I didn't bother going for the platinum. It's a VERY run of the mill brawler and definitely for 10 year olds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

GTA Vice City Definitive Edition, PS4.

Can't believe this game is 20 years old - where is the time going. I remember going down to my local GAME shop and buying it at 9:20am on release day. I think the game still holds up but just like gta3, I think the ps2 versions are superior. Gta3 ps2 was grimey and foggy while def editing was clean. Can only imagine how different vice city ps2 is after playing this.

Infamous Second Son PS4.

Not a bad game. Never really played the infamous games years ago but this was decent. Whats with the lighting tho? It's so dark and the game can be frustrating with its '20 enemies shooting at you' / good luck to try and survive thing. Decent game tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

Mad Max [PS5] - This is a truly excellent and underrated game. It's open world with batman like melee combat although much more impactful and brutal. Try not to grind too much. I did initially and started to get bored but once I stuck to the main missions and side quests I really started to enjoy it again.

Uncharted The Lost Legacy [PS5] - Went in to this game with little to no expectations and boy was I surprised. It was a blast. Your typical uncharted fare but condensed into a shorter game. The main characters work well together and the graphics are simply eye candy. If you are a fan of the Uncharted series and were mulling over getting this then take my advice and go for it. It's an excellent game.

Far cry 6 - PS4

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Horizon Zero Dawn. PS4.

Late to the party playing this one as the sequel is out but I enjoyed it. Oddly enough tho, I first started playing it like 6-8 months ago and just didn't get the game. Didn't see the appeal as I viewed it as just another open world with quests game. Anotjer Witcher 3 etc. But decided to give it another chance a few weeks ago and yeah it's a good game.

Aloy is a good character. Probably should have done more side missions as I hear they are pretty good. Wouldn't mind playing Forbidden West now.

5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps [Xbox]

Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Brilliant game both those Ori games can be a bit challenging in places but not overly hard. You never once would turn off the game as you tried many times to get by a spot, they are the right amount of trickiness built in. Challenging in places but doable.

• Advertisement

Far cry 6 - PS4

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Advertisement