Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Games Have You Completed? (2022 EDITION!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Astro's Playroom, PS5

Had access to a PS5 for a bit and played this.

Lovely little super polished game that comes free with the system. It needs to be a full game. Maybe there will be a sequel down the line.

(edit to remove noise)

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

1. Guardians of the Galaxy | Ps5
    2. Wasteland 3 | Xbox Series X
    3. Halo Infinite | Xbox Series X
    4. Sifu | PS5
    5. Horizon Forbidden west | PS5
    6. No more Heroes | Switch
    7. Elden ring | PS5
    8. Inscryption | Steam deck
    9. Deathloop | PS5
    10. Death's Door | Xbox Series X

Death's door

Beat this on game pass and I have to say it was fantastic. Can't believe its made by two guys with help of a small team aswell.

Great humour addictive combat and it had a story that would touch the auld heartstrings.

Randomly got Mafia here cheap in Oz and been playing the remake on ps5 its actually very good think I am nearly finished it.

Also battling my way through Fire emblem still on the steamdeck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Lollipop Chainsaw.

The remake announcement reminded me I still had to play the PS3 version I have.

Fun wee game. Few annoying parts but none as annoying as zombie baseball.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Niska

Lego Star Wars: The Starwalker Saga

It's a lego game. Fun, somewhat shallow, humourous - quite a few decent gags. New third person shooting works for the most part, but, it's Star Wars, so lightsabers all the way. Way too many collectibles - 1200 Khyber bricks?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

1. Trails in the Sky Second Chapter|PC
    2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    5. The Outer Wilds: Echoes of the Eye|PC
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    7. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3|Gameboy
    8. Shantae|Gameboy Colour
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    11. Monster World IV|Megadrive
    12. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: Breakthrough|PC
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    15. X-Com 2: War of the Chosen|PC
    16. Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts|SNES
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    19. Castlevania: Dracula X|SNES
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    21. God of War Ascension|PS3
    22. Kirby's Dream Land 2|Gameboy
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    24. Quake: Dissolution of Eternity|PC
    25. Final Fantasy Legend|Gameboy
    26. For the Frog the Bell Tolls|Gameboy
    27. Trails in the Sky: the 3rd|PC
    28. Call of Duty: Ghosts|PC
    29. Wonderboy: the Dragon's Trap|PC
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    31. God of War: Ghost of Sparta|PS3
    32. Lemmings|PC
    33. Quake: Dimensions of the Past|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    35. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile|PC
    36. MakaiMura for WonderSwan|WonderSwan

MakaiMura for WonderSwan

MakaiMura by the name alone might seem like some obscure japanese game but it's just the japanese name for the Ghosts n' Goblins/Ghouls n' Ghosts series in Japan. This entry is for the WonderSwan handheld made by Bandai and never left Japan. It was created by Gunpei Yokoi after he was forced out of Nintendo due to the failure of the Virtual Boy.

MakaiMura plays exactly as you'd expect from a Gn'G game. It's a fairly challenging platform game action game which has you fighting undead nasties while finding chests for power ups. While the game seems to have been developed internally by capcom it has a very 'off brand' feel to it, which may be due to the series creator not being involved with the game. It feels a little off. As a result the game isn't a tight in terms of controls and hit detection as the rest of the series. Jumping between platforms at times leaves very little margin or error, and the hit detection can be questionable, most annoyingly is when an enemy passes under Arthur when he is standing on a platform and he will take a hit when it looks like he should be fine.

The game feels a little rushed. There's some visual jank with some graphics getting corrupted when there's too many sprites on screen. Some weapons are quite useless and getting stuck with one can be infuriating. In particular I got stuck with a weapon that made the final boss gauntlet literally impossible to beat in the allotted time for the stage (the first boss will drop a random weapon on death so they did mitigate for this but it's not signposted well). While it's not as polished as the rest of the series it's still a decent handheld platformer with some great moments every so often. Boss fights are a highlight with some really well designed ones and a few troll moments. The best WTF moment is a fish boss that is particularly tricky that is replaced by another fish boss on death, not once but twice during this particularly gruelling fights. The graphics look nice with large detailed sprites and some snazzy graphical effects. It's a pity this game out before the Wonderswan Colour but the black and white sprites are nicely detailed. The Music is pretty ****, the WonderSwan had a pretty harsh soundchip that was significantly worse than the excellent sound from the gameboy. The WonderSwan is a console that can be played in landscape or portrait mode so of course MakaiMura has a level where you have to rotate the console and descend a chasm. It's reminiscent of the second stage of Battletoads and while a bit gimmicky it's a nice change of pace.

MakaiMura is a decent handheld platformer and one of the few WonderSwan games that's English speaker friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Batman arkham knight - PS4

Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus - PS4

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

Guardians of the Galaxy - PS4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    37. Ninja Gaiden (Game Gear)|Game Gear

Ninja Gaiden (Game Gear)

The Ninja Gaiden series has a weird lineage. While everyone mostly knows it for the excellent NES games it actually started out as a Double Dragon style beat'em up in the arcades. What a lot of people don't know is that Sega took the Ninja Gaiden license and had to make their own games with it due to Nintendo's strict licensing rules at the time. Sega developed and released Ninja Gaiden games for the Game Gear and Master System and also had a Megadrive game in the works that was never released but there's a prototype floating around of it.

Sega would mostly back port Master System games to the Game Gear and just reduce the resolution, which wouldn't be a bad thing as Ninja Gaiden on the Master System is one of the all time great 8-bit games. However Game Gear Ninja Gaiden is a totally original game and actually came before the Master System release. It's also no where near as good.

Ninja Gaiden on Game Gear is your standard action platformer. The controls are really smooth and responsive and it scrolls really fast. Graphically it looks really nice, it's a very colourful game taking full advantage of the Game Gear's increased colour palette over the Master System. The music is fine. Nothing memorable but nothing grating either. There's a few weird niggles to the controls. Using sub weapons requires you to press down and attack which makes no sense and flies in the face of convention where up and attack is the norm. It also means you can't duck and attack without wasting a sub weapon. You don't have many i-frames when hit which means enemies can juggle you and quickly sap your health to nothing if you make a mistake. The first stage boss is especially weird. He is the toughest boss to figure out how to attack. You have to face away from him and quickly turn to face him and attack while his club is up. It's very strange and all other bosses are quite simple.

Other than these niggles Ninja Gaiden is a very playable game. The platforming and combat are fun although it's not as good as the Master System and NES versions. There's an attempt made at Ninja Gaiden's famous cinematic cutscenes but the story is nonsense and they aren't as impressive as the NES game. The main issue with the game is just how short it is. There's really only 5 stages and one of those is a short vertical autoscroller and another is just a boss battle. The game can be completed in about 10 minutes skipping the cutscenes. It's also not that difficult. Once you figure out that first boss only the final stage will give you much trouble. Dying at bosses sends you back to the beginning of a stage which is just a frustration made to extend the length of the game.

Ninja Gaiden on the Game Gear isn't bad, it's just very disappointing considering how good the NES games are. Sega already had a proven track record at making incredible Ninja action games on the Game Gear with the phenomenal GG Shinobi games on Game Gear so this one is a big disappointment compared to those two masterpieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    8. Master Chief Collection: Halo Reach [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps [Xbox]
    14. GTA V Enhanced Edition [Xbox Series X]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]
    16. Bugsnax {DLC} Broken Tooth Island [Xbox]
    17. What Remains of Edith Finch [Xbox]
    18. Lost Words: Beyond the Page [Xbox]
    19. The Pedestrian [Xbox]
    20. Omno [Xbox]

Omno

Great game and only started it yesterday and then a fair bit this evening. It's a short game and it's on Gamepass but leaves at the end of the month but if you start it now you will deffo finish it before then. Easy 1000 GS too.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1

Aconcagua

Aconcagua is a pretty interesting PS1 game. It was developed by defunct studio WAC WAC! with Sony funding and released in 2000. It seems to be the last first party funded release on PS1 by Sony before putting all their focus into the PS2. As a result Aconcagua is a very high budget and technically impressive game.

Aconcagua starts with a bomb on an airplane that leaves the protagonists stranded on the mountain Aconcagua. It turns out that this bomb was an assassination attempt by the government forces of the fictional South American country Meruza to try and take out political leader Pacahamama. The crash survivors have to make their way down off the mountain while being harassed by military hunting them down. It's a race against time to get Pachamama to Meruza before riots break out and a military coup can be foiled.

Aconcagua is basically a point and click. It's broken into chapters and each chapter is it's own little self contained point and click puzzle. What this means is that there's far less walking around head scratching not knowing what to do next. There was maybe only 2 times in the game when the puzzle solution seemed a little bit obtuse. Puzzles for the most part aren't too taxing and won't take too long to figure out. The band of survivors grows to five members and each has their own special abilities. Protagonist Katoh has mountaineering experience. Steve is an engineer. Julia is a journalist but she has a lighter and is pretty lethal with a combat knife she just so happens to have. Lopez is stronger than the rest. And finally Pachamama eh.. knows Spanish which actually comes in quite useful.

I had a lot of fun with this game and it comes in at a brisk 4-5 hours. It's not the classic it could have been, the story unfortunately gets a little silly towards the end and the voice acting and script are a bit ropey. The production values are through the roof, it's a gorgeous looking game with lots of attention to detail. The in engine cinematics are very impressive with good animation but also fully modelled and synced mouths which was very rare on PS1. The standout is the sound design and music. There's really great Foley work in cutscenes, the crunchy snow sounds great and the soundtrack is incredible, a full orchestrated John Williams-esque score which suits the game perfectly.

I played the game with a recently released fan translation. Not the most amazing game but a thoroughly enjoyable one.

1. Master Chief Collection: Halo Combat Evolved Anniversary [Xbox]
    2. Master Chief Collection: Halo 2 Anniversary [Xbox]
    3. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 [Xbox]
    4. Ori and the Blind Forest (Definitive Edition) [Xbox]
    5. Firewatch [Xbox]
    6. Master Chief Collection: Halo 3 ODST [Xbox]
    7. Control [Xbox]
    8. Master Chief Collection: Halo Reach [Xbox]
    9. Halo Infinite [Xbox]
    10. Contrast [Xbox]
    11. Gone Home [Xbox]
    12. Dear Esther [Xbox]
    13. Ori and the Will of the Wisps [Xbox]
    14. GTA V Enhanced Edition [Xbox Series X]
    15. Bugsnax [Xbox]
    16. Bugsnax {DLC} Broken Tooth Island [Xbox]
    17. What Remains of Edith Finch [Xbox]
    18. Lost Words: Beyond the Page [Xbox]
    19. The Pedestrian [Xbox]
    20. Omno [Xbox]
    21. Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion [Xbox]

Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion

Good short game and easy too. I got 900GS the last 100 you need to put more work into and I cannot be bothered. I am very close to 100000 GS on Xbox now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Stray | PS5

Nice little game; had a nice balance of exploration and linear storytelling without weighing you down with "Look at all the stuff you can do". A neat little indie title I wouldn't mind having physically one day.

I was originally aiming to go for the platinum until I found out one of the trophies requires me to beat the game in under two hours. I hate those kind of achievements; they do nothing but stress me out, so I won't bother.

Now, if they could get the rights off of Frontier Developments for 'Dog's Life' and get it remade, or a sequel, that would make my day. 😁

-------------------------

F1 2021 | PS5

Yep, you read that correctly 😂

There's a tiny backstory to this. I started randomly watching this Netflix docuseries called "Formula 1: Drive to Survive" and it's basically a glorified season review starting from 2018 til now (4 seasons at the moment) and it just got me more interested in checking out more of F1 in general, that includes the games as well.

F1 2021 was on EA Pass or whatever it's called. I didn't know it had it's own story mode. Just rolled credits there now. Never thought I'd get this much enjoyment out of an F1 game but it was pretty addictive.

Post edited by Gamer Bhoy 89 on

4. Sifu | PS5
    7. Elden ring | PS5
    9. Deathloop | PS5
    11. Mafia 1 Definitive edition | PS5
    12. Call of Duty: Vanguard | PS5

Mafia 1 Definitive edition

Picked this up on a whim while in the shop as it was dirt cheap the triple pack. Really enjoyed it was suprised how much they improved the visuals and the story was nice and compact. Will get round to Mafia 2 at some stage as I heard thats the best one, I have already played Mafia 3 before and found it fairly dull.

Call of Duty: Vanguard

Enjoyed the short campaign , liked the different character and story wasn't bad standard cod fare.

Currently at the end of FE: Path of Radiance and also started Dying Light 2 on PS5 its not bad now not as bad as people said, can see it getting stale after a while as a lot of the quests are fetch quests.

4. Sifu | PS5
    7. Elden ring | PS5
    9. Deathloop | PS5
    11. Mafia 1 Definitive edition | PS5
    12. Call of Duty: Vanguard | PS5
    13. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance | Gamecube

Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance

Played this on the steam deck was almost made for it. Highly enjoyable and a good story to boot, I liked the sprites during the panels when talking to people.

Hard to believe its nearly 20 years old. Its not a patch on three houses but I did enjoy it, I might skip radiant dawn as I heard its poop.

Still making my way through dying light 2 still in the starting area I believe, its dragging a bit.

I also have triangle strategy to start on the switch, but I haven't gone near it since I have got the steam deck.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,102 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Stray

Nice short game that reminded me a bit of games like Inside, Little Nightmares and even Last Guardian and Ico.

Not nearly as sinister unfortunately 😂 . I hope they make a follow-up and, eh, maybe let us customise the cat? At first I was thinking there was a valid reason why the cat looked like he does with no ability to edit even so much as the colour, but he's literally just an everyday cat with no name and no personality. They could've let you customise it - nothing would've been compromised.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    39. Monkey Island 2 Special Edition|PC

Monkey Island 2 Special Edition

I played a finally finished the first Monkey Island a couple of months ago and absolutely adored it. Funny, clever puzzles and bags of charm. It was taxing but not over taxing and I didn't need any help to figure out the puzzles. Monkey Island 2 though I found a little disappointing. The humour is still great but where this suffers is in the puzzles. There's some genuinely great ones but there's an awful lot that are quite esoteric and don't make a whole lot of sense. It meant I ended up using a guide for a few of puzzles and I'm not sure how you could solve a lot of them without some major trial and error. There was a few moments where I missed items hidden in the background. The final puzzle sequence with le chuck chasing you was infuriating and that ending was bizarre. It's a much longer game but I feel the original is much better.

The special edition is a mixed bag. I love how it keeps the iMuse music from the original, the backgrounds look great and the voice acting is excellent. The character animation is unfortunately a bit dodgy with that weird puppeteer flash animation style which is no where near as nice as the original hand animated sprites.

Overall I was a little disappointed in this one.

I played a bit of the first one many years ago on the 360 and hadn't a clue what the hell I was suppose to do so I just left it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭da gamer

Far cry 6 - PS4

Call of duty vanguard - PS4

Blood stone 007 - Xbox 360

Battlefield 2042 - PS4

Batman the enemy within - PS4

Control - PS4

Wet - Xbox 360

Batman arkham knight - PS4

Wolfenstein 2 the new colossus - PS4

Yakuza Kiwami - PS4

Guardians of the Galaxy - PS4

The Quarry - PS4

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1

Baroque

This is a game I've always wanted to play. I first heard about it when retronauts were playing the music from the game in an episode and it sounded amazing. I looked up the game it came from and I was just fascinated by the game. Unfortunately it was a game left in Japan but recently it received a long awaited fan translation.

Baroque is a first person dungeon crawler rogue-like game set in a nightmarish post apocalyptic world. What really drew me to this game was the atmosphere of Baroques strange world. The starting are is sparsely populated by horribly malformed people lamenting their existence. You get to the entrance of the main dungeon, the Neuro Tower, and a creature calling himself the Archangel tells you to reach the bottom of the Neuro tower and kill god. Before he leaves he hands you an 'Angelic Rifle', a powerful weapon with only 5 shots that can kill any enemy in one hit, including God. Whether you succeed or die trying the cycle repeats. Being a rogue-like you lose all your items and start back at level 1. Of course nothing is quite what it seems. The starting area and Neuro Tower are filled with NPCs that will fill in details on the mystery of what the hell is actually happening. What the cataclysmic 'Great Heat' event is, what happened to everyone that they are so malformed, what awaits at the bottom of the Neurotower and why you keep having visions of your dead brother and creepy cherub creatures called 'Littles'. As you learn more the Neurotower changes, new floors open and everything just gets weirder.

The Neurotower is where you spend most of your time. It's a nightmarish maze of randomly generated floors, items and enemies. Anyone that has played a proper rogue game before will be very familiar with the level layouts, they stick quite rigidly to the classic rogue level design of everything being made on a grid with tight corridors between bigger open rooms. It's a proper rogue like as well. Death comes quickly to the unprepared, items need to be identified and sometimes you just have to figure out what an item is by taking a chance and consuming it or throwing it at an enemy. Aesthetically the Neurotower is a decaying industrial environment although there is quite a bit of variety in areas so it never gets samey. Enemy design is a real standout with some wonderful artwork and some pretty creepy enemy attack patterns. As you play you do learn a few tricks on how the game works and it does become a lot easier to survive. There is also a way to send items back to the surface to store for subsequent runs. The game is rarely unfair and has a nicely balanced difficulty. The game manages to be genuinely creepy and unsettling with some effective jump scares.

Baroque is an absolute gem of a game that we in the West unfortunately missed out on but I can also see why we never got it. The developer Sting is known for taking RPG tropes and completely turning them on their heads and Baroque is no different. While a first person dungeon crawling rogue-like seems rote in this day and age, back when this was first released on the Saturn in 1998 it would have been a crazy take on the rogue genre take retrospectively was way ahead of its time. I could see a Saturn/PS1 release of this game being torn apart by critics of the time that didn't understand how rogue games work, just look at the dismissal of rogue-like games such as Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter and Shiren the Wanderer before Spelunky popularised rogue-like games in the West. Progressing through the story of Baroque seems esoteric at first but if you pay attention to what items characters ask for you should have no trouble seeing the end of the game and the FAQ for the remake is still relevant to this version of the game. Special mention has to be made for the soundtrack. It's a mix of sombre industrial music mixed with creepy industrial electronica. It's one of the best game soundtracks of all time.

Barique was released first on the Saturn before being ported to PS1. The PS1 version makes some changes, adding extra dialogue options, making the Neurotower longer while also making the floor mazes shorter. The visuals were changed slightly, unfortunately the Saturn's widescreen mode is absent but the game does make good use of the PS1's prowess with transparency effect. A post game dungeon was also added which is insanely tough. Baroque was remade for the PS2 and Wii as a third person rogue like game which was lambasted by critics who didn't understand how rogue games work. I'd still recommend the PS1 version as a lot of the atmosphere is lost going to third person and the soundtrack was changed. While the soundtrack is still very good it's not a patch on the original soundtrack.

Anyway, I've waffled on enough. I think it's pretty clear that I adored my time with this game. It was a real experience.

A Plague Tale: Innocence | PS5

This was a bit surprise for me. First of all, I didn't know the game was a third person stealth-action game (I actually thought it was an adventure game similar to the likes of Heavy Rain or something), the gameplay actually reminded of The Last of Us at times.

That being said, I don't think the gameplay could hold a candle to TLOU, or indeed many other games of its ilk; I think the gameplay is its weakest aspect. It's not bad, but it is clunky at times.

The stars of this game were the story and my god the score... The music was amazing. The plot was definitely something I never really seen before in a game -- rather unique setting.

Overall I had a lot of fun with this. It was to the point and the best kind of linear. I had it finished in a couple of days. I think the game was about 10-15 hours long. This is the video game equivelant to a 90 minute movie for me. Perfect length, you get everything you need out of it, and you're out.

I'm looking forward to the sequel.

• Advertisement

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    41. Alien vs. Predator (1999)|PC

Alien vs. Predator (1999)

Bit of a blast from the past this one. I didn't expect this to hold up and in many ways it doesn't. However it was still a lot of fun in spite of itself. It's made by Rebellion who managed to survive years making janky licensed shooters most of which were terrible until they found their groove with Sniper Elite. AvP has all the jank of a Rebellion game but it just all kind of works mostly. They managed to nail the look and feel of the two franchises. The three races you play all give totally different play experiences. Playing on the hardest 'directors cut' mode is a terrifying experience. The marine's campaign is the highlight. It's absolutely terrifying. The alien campaign I had more fun with than I thought. It's way more stealth focused but there's a lot of clever environment use to get through stick situations. The predator might be the weakest. While it's fun cutting down marines, the aliens prove a massive issue for the predator on the hardest difficulty. Some of his levels were very frustrating.

The game does have issues. Some levels are sprawling mazes that are easy to get lost in. Objectives you have to interact with are not well identified to the player which can lead to you wandering some levels until you learn what the game expects from you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,272 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

1. Immortals Fenyx Rising - PlayStation 5
    2. Persian Nights: Sands of Wonder - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    3. Rad Rodgers - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    4. Shady Part of Me - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    5. Mass Effect: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    6. Mass Effect 2: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    7. Mass Effect 3: Legendary Edition - PlayStation 5
    8. Mass Effect Andromeda - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    9. Persian Nights 2: Midnight Veil - PlayStation 5
    10. Skyland: Heart of the Mountain - PlayStation 5
    11. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragons Keep - PS4 game on PlayStation 5
    12. Desert Child - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    13. Ben 10 - PS4 game on PlayStation 5 (PS Now)
    14. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PlayStation 5
    15. Battlefield 4 - PlayStation 5
    16. Sea of Solitude - PlayStation 4
    17. Fe - PlayStation 5
    18. Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - PS3 on PS5 (PS Now)
    19. Shadow Warrior 3 - PS4 on PS5 (PS Now)
    20. Dysmantle - PlayStation 5
    21. Far Cry Primal - PS4 on PS5

Far Cry Primal

I don't think this game needs any description. I enjoyed the setting in this one, it was nice to play a Far Cry game that didn't involve guns. The story was nonsense though, it may as well not have been there. I got the platinum trophy and enjoyed the game but as with all Far Cry games it got repetitive rather quickly.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    42. Professor Layton and the Lost Future|Android

Professor Layton and the Lost Future

The final game in the initial Layton trilogy. This one is the best so far but marginally so. It's still severely lacking in many areas. Again the puzzles are the highlight. The second game Pandora's box had way too many box pushing puzzles and peg solitaire (which got absolutely **** obnoxious). Peg solitaire is dumped in the bin where it belongs and while there are block pushing/sliding puzzles they are relatively straight forward except in the post game puzzles. It's got by far the best collection of well balanced and judged puzzles so far.

Where the game falls is on the premise and writing. Level 5 and particularly Akihiro Hino's writing is absolutely atrocious and it hasn't changed with Lost Future. It's always the same structure for Layton games, set up a good premise which goes no where, spin the wheels for the rest of the game and at the end pull a ridiculous finale out of the writer's arse. It's the same in other Level 5 muck like the god awful Ni No Kuni. The Lost Future is particularly bad. It's a time travel story where narrative events have you travelling from present day London to London 10 years in the future. This premise never really goes anywhere and there's no time travelling antics, it's just another location to visit. As for the ending.... Christ. This has to be one of the dumbest things I've seen in a videogame since Illusion of Gaia's pig sacrifice scene. I actually exclaimed '**** off!' out loud at how insane it was. The game then ends on an emotional note is totally unearned but actually almost works entirely due to Layton's excellent voice actor really selling it.

There's three new minigames that have been added. The first is a puzzle game where you guide a parrot to its destination by laying ropes between pegs. This should have been a fun 'Incredible Machine' type physics puzzle but it's actively hateful as there's only ever one set solution and the parrots physics are totally random and unpredictable. Complete shite. The other two fair much better. The second has you guiding a car across a map collecting items before reaching the designated end. You have no control over the car once it moves but you have a limited number of tiles to place that tell the car to turn or jump. You are basically programming the car to beat the course and its lot of fun. Lastly is a sticker book. A story is told and you have to place the correct stickers in the book to tell the correct story. It seems simple enough but you have to scrutinise the text for clues on what the correct stickers are. It's a lot more fun than it sounds.

So Lost Future is a fun little diversion with some fun puzzles and two great minigames (and one awful one). The biggest issue with Layton is that with an actual decent writer and not the same clown that wrote Ni No Kuni, the series could actually be something very special.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA

Ninja Five-O

You have to feel sorry for Ninja Five-O. It's got one of the most ridiculous names for any game (in Europe it's the slightly less but still rubbish Ninja Cop). With a silly name like that and being a very late 2D platformer for the GBA the game got totally ignored by both reviewers and the game buying public. By the time people realised it was kind of amazing, there were very few copies left in the wild and now it sells for crazy money. It's a shame because as I said, it's a fantastic game.

Ninja Five-O is a 2D action platform game in the vein of 16-bit games of the type. The is very close to shinobi. Your ninja has a shuriken attack that can be powered up as well as a sword. He can also cast ninja magic that can clear the screen or turn him invincible depending on how full the meter is. Using the sword attack will fill the meter up quicker. As a Ninja he is quite nimble but also has another trick up his sleave, a grappling hook. This can be attached to any hook point or surface and allow the ninja to swing around on it. It takes a while to get used to but once you do it's very versatile and has crazy physics that allow you to pull off ridiculous maneuvers and kills.

Each mission has 3 Stages and a boss at the end. Stages are a series of interconnecting levels that you will have to explore to find keys and hostages that need rescuing before the stage can be exited. The levels are quite big but never maze like and confusing. While Ninja Five-O is a very difficult game it's never unfair. You take a lot of damage but you have all the tools to get you through any situation. Stages are like mini puzzles where you try to figure out the best route through them so dying and being sent back to the start of one is never frustrating. Each mission is punctuated by a boss fight and all of them are inventive, tough and a blast to take on.

Graphically, it's not the best looking GBA game but the animation work is excellent and it's about as good as a high level SNES game. I really like the attention to detail like how enemies on high ledges plummet to their death. There isn't much music but what is there is catchy.

Ninja Five-O is one of the best action platformers ever made and its unfortunate it hasn't been played by more people. It's crying out for a release. It was developed by Hudson and published by Konami so Konami are now sitting on the license. If Ninja Five-O was released on the SNES or Megadrive it would have been considered one of the all time great 16-bit games. If it was released today it would go down as a retro inspired indie darlin. It really is that good.

2. Operation C|Gameboy
    3. The Outer Wilds|PC
    4. Kid Dracula|Gameboy
    6. Illusion of Gaia|SNES
    9. The Forgotten City|PC
    10. Bulk Slash|Saturn
    13. Pikmin 3|Switch
    14. Bayonetta 2|Switch
    17. GG Shinobi|Game Gear
    18. Elden Ring|PC
    20. Maken X|Dreamcast
    23. Ace Combat 2|PS1
    30. Silent Bomber|PS1
    32. Lemmings|PC
    34. Deathloop|PC
    38. Aconcagua|PS1
    40. Baroque|PS1
    43. Ninja Five-O|GBA
    44. Little Samson|NES

Little Samson

Little Samson is a very late NES title (1992) and has become one of the rarest and most sought after NES games.

In little Samson some evil wizard guy is attacking the kingdom and it's up to Samson and three of his companions to put a stop to his reign of terror.

Little Samson is your standard NES platformer with a lot of similarities to Megaman. There's actually a connection with Megaman as the creator of Little Samson is an ex-Capcom employee. The game opens with you choosing one of four stages where you play as each of the four protagonists. It's a great way to get to grips with each character. After these four stages you are free to switch between each character from the pause screen. Each has their own life bar. Each character has their own abilities and strengths. Samson is a pretty standard character with a projectile attack and can climb on walls and ceilings. The Dragon has a charge attack, an arcing attack and can hover for a limited time. The Golem is the slowest but has the most health and his short range attack does huge amounts of damage. He can also walk on spikes. And lastly the mouse how has the least health but is the fastest, can climb on walls and ceilings. He can lay bombs to attack which are hard to use but are absolutely devastating to bosses and by far the most damaging attack in the game.

After the initial stages the game takes a more linear path although there are some branching paths and secret levels to discover. Being a late NES game, the visuals are stunning with some incredible animation work. The music while catchy is a weak point as each character has their own theme as you use them and it can get grating hearing the same four songs over and over. The boss battles are very impressive with some screen filling enemies or large multiple sprite monstrosities. The game is tough but perfectly manageable if you stick with it.

One thing to note about this game is you can't play the final three levels and get the true ending unless you play the game on normal. Normal difficulty is pretty brutal, there's more enemies and you have less health. The biggest change is that if a character loses all their life you restart the level but on easy you lose access to that character until you beat the level or continue (unless that character is samson). I recommend playing on easy to get a feel for the stages and then going to hard (there are mercifully passwords between stages).

Overall this is a very high quality NES game. It's not quite as good as the likes of Megaman 2 or Ninja Gaiden 2 but it's a game well worth playing and one of the top tier action games on the NES.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Thanks for all the in depth reviews of these games I'd never even know about @Retr0gamer.

I start with the intention of them being shorter than the last one. Thanks all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Games Beaten 2022

1. Pokemon: Shining Pearl (Switch)

2. Operation C (Game Boy)

3. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 (Game Boy)

4. Castle of Illusion staring Mickey Mouse (MD)

5. Tiny Toon: Buster's Hidden Treasure (MD)

6. Mega Man Xtreme (GBC)

7. Earthworm Jim 2 (MD)

8. Metal Slug Advance (GBA)

9. Contra Hard Corps, NTSC-J ver. (MD)

10. Klonoa: Empire of Dreams (GBA)

11. Dragon Warrior Monsters 2: Tara's Adventure (GBC)

12. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1)

13. SNK vs Capcom: Match of the Milllenium (NGPC)

14. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)

15. Klonoa 2: Dream Champ Tournament (GBA)

16. Crash Bandicoot 2 (PS1)

17. Air Zonk (PCE)

18. Monster World IV (MD)

19. Klonoa: Moonlight Museum (WS)

20. Dragon Warrior 1 (GBC)

21. Wendy Every Witch Way (GBC)

22. It Takes Two (PS4)

23. Burnout Paradise (PS3)

24. Luigi's Mansion 2 (3DS)

25. Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (Switch)

Klonoa was a nice palette cleanser after a run of games that went just that bit too long, especially Luigi's Mansion 2. You can't help but feel the overcorrected in regards to the criticism to the first game's short run-time and LM2 ends up a slightly weaker experience for it.

The uproar over the short length of Pikmin and Luigi's Mansion was ridiculous at the time. Every year that goes by really just reinforces that Shigeru Miyamoto as right, 6-8 hours is the perfect length of time for a game to last. Who knew Miyamoto knew a thing or two about designing fun games?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I didn't even finish Luigi's Mansion 3, a generally fun game that became less and less fun as it become apparent they were clearly artificially extending the runtime with backtracking and unnecessary detours.

Advertisement