Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptops in the sales?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,587 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Have a look on Argos website here, sometimes they can have good offers on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Gave up and bought a second hand Asus from Amazon. €300 less than new price with 3070

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Homelander

The i7-11370H is not a very good gaming processor. It's only 4 core, compared to Ryzen 5600H being six-core and 5800H being octo-core, both in the same price ranges.

If you compare both in CPU heavy games, or even just benchmark software either, the Intel trails behind by quite a bit.

Intel have made a total mess of their naming schemes, most of the older mobile i7's, like the i7-9750H, or i7-10750H, were actually 6 core chips, some were even 8. But this new i7-11370 is a measly quad core.

See here for example - this is a direct comparison between the 11th gen i7-11370 and 10th gen i7-10870H, both using the exact same RTX3070. See how the lack of cores/threads hurts it and these are single player games.

Try something like Battlefield 2042 on a 11370H laptop and you will get a bad framerate due to the lack of cores/threads.

This will only get worse with newer games as they use more of both. I would recommend a Ryzen 5600H at a minimum, or Ryzen 5800H either. I paid €1k a while ago for a Lenovo Legion with 5800H and RTX3060.

I also take significant issue with the name Intel has used here. I have no idea how this ended up as a Core i7 part, given you have to go all the way back to Kaby Lake 7th generation parts in early 2017 to find the last quad-core H-series Core i7 CPU: the Core i7-7700HQ, as an example.

Since then, the Core i7 range has denoted six-core CPUs, or more recently eight-core CPUs. Putting the 11370H in the Core i7 series serves to both dilute Intel’s Core i7 brand, and deceive less tech-savvy customers into thinking they are getting a powerful processor when they aren’t.

Simply put, the Core i7-11370H should be a Core i3 processor. Instead, Intel seems eager to cram four, six and eight core parts all into the Core i7 range. If and when that happens, what is even the point of having i3, i5 and i7 ranges for laptops.

Finally, the Asus TUF Dash F15 happens to be a fine laptop on most aspects. If the choice of CPU would be a proper 10th-gen Core i7 part or a Ryzen processor, we could certainly recommend you took a look. We don’t understand why Asus chose to use this CPU instead as it seems most other OEMs passed on it for their early 2021 refreshes. Did they want to experiment and see what the result was? We can't say for sure, but unfortunately the 11370H is holding the F15 back from greater things.

Disaster, I just assumed it was octo core. A bad buy in the end🥲

Read this

https://www.techspot.com/review/2244-intel-core-i7-11370h/

Cancelled. Actually may move to Ryzen for first time ever. How on earth 11370 is an i7 is beyond me....

Will have to get some paying work this year for the VAT rebate although was planning some time off for dev + study.... Crap.

Post edited by mcsean2163 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement