Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any point in signing on

• 30-12-2021 9:48pm

I quit my job as I was fed up before Christmas. I'll find another job quick enough and have the funds to tide me over until I do find a job. I had no intentions of signing on and really don't know anything about it.

However, I was told by a ex-colleague that I should sign on so I have a continual record of PRSI credits - is this correct?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,286 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes sign on so there's no break in your PRSI contributions, otherwise there could be a gap at the end of your working life which could mean the difference between getting the full state pension and not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,015 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

I agree with @Atlantic Dawn but OP keep in mind as you gave up your job your likely to be penalised for a few weeks in terms of receiving an actual payment, however important you sign on for reasons outlined by Atlantic Dawn.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Ok - So even though I will be disqualified from payment for 9 weeks and will have another job by then I should sign up for PRSI credits? Just seems a bit of a faff and I definitely don't need it. Plus I see they ask for investments/savings information so feel a bit weird applying for it when I have a substantial sum in the bank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,027 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It'll be a bigger faff if when you go to retire it costs you part of your pension. Small inconvenience now for a stress free retirement, not that the State pension will be worth much soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,815 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

go for it op, you ve worked for it

• Advertisement
Advertisement