Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do estate agents help buyers find a home?

Options
  • 30-12-2021 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

This might seem like a stupid question but do estate agents help buyers find houses or do they exist solely to help sellers?

I'm planning to buy a house this year and it's obviously a seller's market out there. I was thinking of contacting a few estate agents to tell them what I'm looking for and they might contact me when houses in my preferred areas come up. Or is that not a thing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,764 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They may contact you if they think you'll be a quick sale / high bidder. They work for the seller.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,115 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

It's a long time since I was in the market (peak Celtic Tiger) but there was an agent in one of the big estate agencies that would call me to let me know that properties matching my wish list were going on the market. Still went through bidding wars but it did help somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Summitatem

They generally like to do as little as possible.... In a sellers market with no shortage of buyers, actually asking them to reach out to contact someone is likely expecting too much IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Not many would in the current market, no. Most of their "sales" effort goes into convincing the vendor to put their house on the market with them. I recently sold and the five star treatment rolled out to me then in comparison to when I was then looking to buy - in some cases by the very same agents - was an eye opener.

The agent wants the property sold as quickly and with as little effort as possible. If they get 30 responses from daft they're probably not going to bother contacting other buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

It is a thing, search for buyers agents, though youll pay a pretty penny for the privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

A large number of properties are sold off market.

Less and less are put up on daft.

Agents love to have a list of buyers they can contact as sellers don't want intrusion of dozens of tyre kickers

I was in the market for investment purposes a couple of years ago and had my name with two agents who provided me with details of properties that were coming up. Quite normal.

Advertisement