Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best GAA Podcasts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

If the GAA Hour want to keep the following they built up when Parkinson was presenting they have a funny way of going about it, no preview show for this weekend, the penultimate round of the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭KerryM9

This is one toxic pile of crap, and no surprise you click with Wooly given the nonsense he comes out with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

What's 'toxic'about it. Wooly leaves his politics at the door. The boys on Off The Ball don't. They think they speak for 'Ireland' ..It couldn't be further from the truth. Lots of podcasts out there for politics.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Will sign upto small Fish and Our Game for the championship months.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

To be fair about it, that's not really true, a la Conor Meyler and his stance on the LGFA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Some great podcasts on the GAA social, a few with Tyrone lads, Gooch one is great, Graham Geragthy after his illness.

Oisin McConville surprised me, some great questions, a complete sports fanatic, especially GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭quidel7

The Smaller Fish is well worth it. The Sunday night release of a podcast is a great job and gets the jump on all of the other podcasts released Ona Monday afternoon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think that's targeting Monday morning commuters too so its smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭quidel7

Listened to ‘The GAA Hour’ with O’Sullivan and McGee. It was an OK start but they’ve some work to do to to gain traction in the market I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Anthony Dalys podcast wasn't bad this week. Liam Sheedy on it

So much 'talking down' of certain teams esp Limerick

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

RTE podcast is fine. Some of your comments here are just vile.

Don't care if he leaves his politics at the door on the podcast. His behavior on Twitter was enough for me. Not to mention dappling in conspiracy theories. His treatment of Tom Parsons when the GPA supported the Green Proposal was disgraceful. Kept shouting over him when he disagreed. Wasn't professional at all.

I didnt hear Parkinsons interview with Parsons. I ll take your word for it. When he loses his cool he sounds screechy. I wouldnt accept any of my contributions to be 'vile'. That's just you losing your cool and its wrong for you to go down that route. Focus on the point. Its a genuinely held opinion. That's what this forum is for. Seems like politics is ok in sport for some as long as it follows a certain left wing narrative. If someone's politics isn't woke or progressive or just left wing then their opinion is 'wrong'. So it's better to leave politics at the door. There's no need for it in sport. There's plenty of Conservatives out there who are sick of being preached to by lads on sports podcasts .

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Didn't lose my cool. You resorted to insults rather than actual criticism. Stop trying to turn this into a left wing v right issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

He's right though. the lads on OTB would give you a pain in your hole at times. The Djokovic Aussie open thing being a case in point.

James O'Donoghue has been a good addition to the football pod.

Would have to agree with this, they're insufferable at times.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Very entertaining post! Agree on OTB being up it's own hole, the 7 - 7:30 live bit is just mouthy lads rambling on...one lad in particular some boy for yapping.

Wooly being a "humble guy" made me laugh! I subscribe to the Smaller Fish podcast and it's based on him having good guests & analysts, he struggles with basic English at times and his pronouncing any Irish location other than the 32 counties and a few cities is cat altogether - but worth the €6.25/month!

The 1st GAA hour with Darren O'Sullivan was good enough, no harm having a slightly different one with new voices.

The Examiner football and hurling podcasts are very good, Oisin McConville a gas man but bit of a bluffer IMO.

Agree 100% on Rory O'Neill being a hard listen and the tired old RTE approach, do we need to hear any more of Pat Spillane & Co?

Your comments on Verney sound like a personal issue, he's played bit of county and with successful Birr teams so worth listening to I'd say. His accent is genuine midlands, better than most!!

I can agree about the two lads in the morning but they generally have good content and guests on.

• Advertisement

I think Verney is good. He'll actually make an effort to look up what is going on in other counties for hurling whereas other podcasts just ignore everything outside the top 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I like Verney as well, think he has a good knack of explaining what's going on, and has a different take on things. Skehill is good also on the off the ball podcast

Skehill and Paul Murphy are good, agree on Verney dont get the poster constantly giving out about him tbh.

Post edited by Billy Ocean on

Not a big fan of skehill, was hard enough watch him on gogglebox.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

It's becoming a crowded field now. Alot of people are trying to make money. I think 'smaller fish ' will survive . Its got a good structure . The OTB and RTE and Independent.ie and Irish examiner will survive . The Irish Times is poor outside of Sean Moran .They sometimes have hurling articles under a Gaelic Football heading. It's those small things that annoy people. Maybe I'm over critical of some journalists but Irish journalists and in particular GAA journalists never get criticised enough. It's too parochial.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

and that's not even taking into account the 'fan' podcasts/Youtube channels etc.

It's very saturated, but like most things, when something gets popular, everyone wants to try it. Ideally, something different would be a Twitch stream or something but footage rights and all can kill those.

I still think a data driven podcast would be beneficial to get away from the usual 'arrah they didn't turn up on the day' type stuff, but there's no real interest in that from the usual shows (have reached out to a few of them with the product the company I'm with does)

• Advertisement

When you say data, what types are you talking about?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Performance Data - For teams: Productivity, Scoring Efficiency, Fouls in Defensive/Middle Third, Turnovers, Puckout Retention Rate/Lineball Retention Rate/Placed Ball (non-shot) Retention Rate. I get that without visuals, some stuff can't be explained fully (ie shot locations), but there is still a good story that can be told rather than: 'Tipp had 15 wides. That's not good enough to win any game'...and not have the context behind it. Who took the shot, where they took it from, scoreline when it was taken etc

Player data (rather than team data) then would be the specifics - Pass success rate, turnovers per player (how they were turned over), possessions per player, Intensity events (block attempts, hook attempts, tackle attempts). Fouls won/conceded per player. Opponent take-ons

I think that having that data on the shows etc. can give a better story of a match rather than the usual stuff we see everywhere. Who'd be into it is another thing, but at least it would be a USP compared to all shows doing the same thing (giving their own thoughts on a match)

Having trends build up over weeks can be interesting where you can really spot some interesting stuff compared to one-off matches

That's my own thoughts though

I'm surprised that the TV coverage channels like Sky, RTE and TG4 wouldn't be interested in some of that. Probably alot of time needed to make sense of the numbers.

I'd imagine the teams themselves would be recording alot of that already.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

TG4 in fairness have increased their live data recently in some testing.

Spoke to RTE before (over a year ago so opinion might have changed now) and they didn’t want it as it didn’t appeal to a casual fan.

You’d be surprised at how basic some teams own analysis is, hence why so many use external providers now because with that they’d get opposition matches too, rather than their own guy or freelancer doing their game with his/her own definitions etc.

Like other sports (soccer, rugby, basketball etc), a small bit of live analysis themselves is fine, but in all major sports, teams are now using external providers. This allows their analyst to analyse the data rather than recording, coding and then transcribing

Excuse my ignorance here, but how is the data typically acquired by a inter-county team ? Either they do it themselves or get an external company? Does this mean that of those that do use an external company, the company used may differ from team to team and as a result the type of data acquired may differ with each team? I assume then that there is no centralised provider of the data/analysis.

The reason I ask is that it would be great if individual player data aggregated to a championship/year/years etc. could be made available to supporters for analysing performance over time, comparing with other players etc.

• Advertisement

Up to the team really. Some teams still do their own analysis (which is fine)

They’d be using a coding software then like NacSport or something and then either just either take the main data points away (scores/scorers) and accumulate them or else use it properly for video analysis (coded events = clips for them)

There is currently no official data provider to the GAA, so everyone would therefore have their own definitions of what is a tackle etc. Difference there compared to Premier League for example is they use Opta data. Google also use Opta data for soccer as do most teams. The ideal thing about this is the data is consistent everywhere.

Ya you’re right about different companies/freelancers. If person A and person B coded a match this weekend, they would almost certainly have a different tackle/turnover count.

Agree on the need for something like you’ve mentioned. It’s obviously too much work for one website to take up, but a proper data provider selling it to numerous media outlets etc (ie having the data on their API) would be the ideal scenario for the average person.

There’s so many sources for soccer now (ie sofascore, transfermarkt) and the majority of them use Opta data. There’s nothing decent in GAA currently. There are analysis companies (generally most are useless but I won’t make them) but no data providers

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The new GAA Hour is definitely drier than it was under Parkinson but I think it's good that they went in a different direction. No point doing a Chris Evans Top Gear and trying to reproduce what went before you. I think a more pared back intro would suit the show a bit better, current one is a bit drawn out.

Is the GAA hour going to even cover hurling or are they half arseing it?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭C4000

I'd say they might be short on funding. Parkinson had mentioned that they were planning to go to a subscription model before he left as they hadn't had a sponsor in two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Would love to see Tommy Walsh do something, i know he does bits and pieces on OTB but could listen to him talk hurling all day long.

Signed up with Our Game and Small Fish for the championship months.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Tommy Walsh is a top class pundit. Id like to see him on smaller fish.

I think people should support the likes of Woolie all year around and not just the championship months. The guy has to live all year

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Then he has to get creative. People aren't obliged to pay him if there's no content or they're not interested in the content he releases.

Then he should get another job. That's what the other GAA pundits do.

I think Woolie offers enough output in the busy months for people to support him all year. Why are people so tight? Its 6 or 7 quid a month. I wouldnt dream of just signing uk for a few months and then cancelling. It's an individuals decision. I get that but these are the same type of people that don't tip at restaurants or get the calculator out on their phone dividing up bills. Can't stand em

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I probably won’t bother cancelling in quiet months but I think you’re being unfair there.

If Wooly isn’t providing a good output in the winter then people should have no obligation to keep paying. It’s completely different to not tipping at a restaurant (ie when you’ve already been provided with a nice mail).

For the record I’m sure he’s thought of this and has shows in mind.

Yeah I think he has a plan for the winter but it certainly won't be as good as now. Yeah im being a bit unfair. I was out for dinner with work on Thursday. My God paying for it was a disaster. Phones out ...'you had this ,oh i had that' fine but round up . And no one tipped..sorry 2 of us did. There was 2 men out of 7....Who Tipped.??

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Plenty of online content apart from woolie and they all need to live as you said, have you subscribed to those ones also?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No I subscribe to the Irish examiner for Dalys podcast and a rugby podcast ,being from Limerick. And a few regular podcasts from the US like 'get off my Lawn'.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

Then don't criticise people who choose not to subscribe when there's no intercounty on. I'll stick with local media for club championships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Our Game read out user comments a lot, more then the others.

In a way it’s the easiest thing for a presenter, just reading stuff out, but I think it works very well. Often the listeners raise great points.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭C4000

Excellent county-by-county championship previews on Our Game this week......format worked very well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Rory O'Neill kicking the boot into the split season before its even started on the RTE podcast stinks of self interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Got a good laugh reading the OTB comments there. Have to agree, and I've more or less crossed them off my list for the last year and a bit.

Threw them on a few weeks ago and they were talking rugby. I'm convinced that Joe thinks his analysis plays a vital role in the outcome of upcoming matches... If. He. Can. Just. put together an incredible and thought provoking analysis, it'll be key to unlocking the oppositions defence or getting our backs to play with freedom.

Serious doses all around in the Tower.

Advertisement