Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Sales

• 31-12-2021 10:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone bother with the sales this week? I did as I often do but have to say they are very poor. Menswear in Arnotts or BT very little on offer and don’t mention sizes! I bought some stuff in Boots in Jervis SC and that was more or less the highlight. Guess they don’t have to discount much such is the demand and supply chain issues?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Have January sales just been displaced by Black Friday/Amazon prime day and all that sort of guff.

Nothing really new in any of these marketing wheezes, just cannibalising the existing market, punters can only buy so much stuff after all etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Dunnes was the only physical shop I went into as also doing a grocery shop.

Not much there, Christmas decorations as expected. However I was there early so possible that not everything marked down yet.

I did however start online from Christmas Eve onwards. More fast fashion for myself and kids (gap H&M river island etc) than quality stuff that you'd get in BTs but not going anywhere so ....

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Interesting101

Won't be any proper sales for a while with all the loses due to COVID....Will be advertising as sales like Woodies 70% off but in reality there will be nothing decent on offer until the end of Feb when they see what stock hasn't shifted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Yep that’s what I think too. Even Christmas stock wasn’t massively marked down in some places. Will keep an eye later in January/February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

O'Neills used to have a really good one out in the National Show Centre... assume it won't be happening this year, again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,253 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Some very decent sales online but in store they were generally pretty awful.

For example menswear in marks (hey I'm +40 and they do good jackets) shocking lack of stock and pricing far higher than website. Order 3 things online, delivery time shocking but hey.

Yes, lack of stock really seemed a thing. You might see something in store I’d like but they’d have two XS sizes on a sad looking rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭you2008

M&S? their man's clothes were very decent, got something very nice that was 70% off ( I Know the web saying up to 50%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

With all the government supports, many retailers did very well in the last 2 years. A look at the accounts and profits (publicly available) will tell you that.

Retailers and manufacturers would have been ultra cautious on purchasing/manufacturing, so not a lot of excess stock about.

As for woodies 70% off, they were priced for a 50% discount, so in reality it's a 20% discount.

Was in aldi (in particular) and super valu the other day too and they have a lot of Christmas stock left over. Not reduced by much yet to shift it. Maybe once New Years is over they will reduce it properly

• Advertisement

Which online sales are best did you find? 30s male here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,134 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Maybe better suited to consumer affairs? No actual bargain alerts here

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Thread closed given no actual bargains.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement