Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's required for private sales on scopes from U.K. to Ireland

Options
  • 01-01-2022 1:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Im looking to buy an odd scope from the UK. Anything I'm looking at is standard sporting scopes.. What's needed now to get the sale through the postal & legal net.

Any advice law is warmly received.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Why is the scope you want odd? odd unusual or odd , I want to buy at least one?

can't see the issue. but bigger brains than me will present...

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭JP22

When you mean by "Odd", do you mean something that's restricted/military/night vision/thermal etc? or am I missing something in your query, please advise.

I’m no legal eagle so take some of following with grain of salt. AFAIK any normal shooting scope that’s advertised for sale in UK you can legally purchase. Note – some UK sites require an export license for scopes over 9x or there about, some sites will not ship to Ireland regardless, too much paperwork etc, laziness I say.

If purchasing from UK you will get hit for big customs/vat/tax etc.

If possible purchase from an EU Country, it’s easy, cheaper most of the time and no customs etc.

My last purchase (Oct 2020) was from here-under, ordered on Sat night, at my door the following Thursday, fast, efficient, no custom’s etc etc..

Re docs - none for normal purchases. Pick what you want, pay for same (cry - money spent), delivery by courier (tracked) to your door, happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭JP22

Ooops, me-a-culpa.

Just re read your initial post; I see it’s a private sale, not commercial.

AFAIK Unless it’s a restricted item I see no problems other that the tax man/customs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

An Post are demanding that ALL parcels, commercial, private and gifts, have a 10 digit HS/TARIC code, computer readable. They have returned to sender, multiple packets/parcels that were clearly marked gifts.

https://www.anpost.com/Post-Parcels/Sending/Sending-customs-information

If your seller is set-up for this, then should be no problems but if not or your seller is a private individual then you could be in trouble.

It seem that An Post do not want to do ANY business with UK and they return all items even before they get to customs.

And good luck trying to get anything resolved, either with An Post or the toothless COMREG

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Heavy handed

Took me three months to get a refund off customs here on some equipment I sent to the uk to be serviced and returned to me. It was the most infuriating experience I’ve ever had to go through. I’m avoiding all dealings with the uk from now on. It’s simply not worth the hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭garrettod

How about using a courier company, rather than An Post?

Anything of reasonable value, and fragile, should help justify the cost of DHL etc.

It also sounds like An Post need a kicking, if they are acting the maggot unnecessarily.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement